Deloitte Reviews

Reset
5.0
Deloitte Deloitte US CEO Cathy Engelbert
Cathy Engelbert

Pros
  • Advanced attitude towards work-life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Probably a good place to start your career (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work-life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• There is no Work-Life Balance at all (in 254 reviews)

1,623 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Captain of your own Ship

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, great benefits, ability to travel and build travel points, impressive professional versatility.

Cons

Unpredictable work projects - e.g. some engagements last weeks, or months; each employee is their own company (with their own brand etc) and greater emphasis is therefore placed on networking. If you're not good at networking, become an expert in a particular field or map out a systematic plan to network.

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver. Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners). Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast. Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about. They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique. I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses. I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks. Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business) Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects. There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable. A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource. -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work. This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines. IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination. Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards. Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

Excellent training, networking, office culture

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, fast paced environment with ample opportunity to learn and grow. Such a great place to own your career, set your parameters and develop a network. Smart people and endless resources. Great expense policy. Free meals, parking, mileage, coffee, professional dues, tuition.

Cons

The hours can become long, but you can work from anywhere. During busy season some people show up around 9am and work until 9pm, while others work 7-7pm depending on your preference. Of course, your schedule depends on the clients to which you're assigned.

5. Loved it

Current Employee - Audit Senior Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so much pros for working at Deloitte, it is quite hard to decide where to start. First of all, the working environment is professional, and so they expect you to work hard. There are not room for slackers or coasters. Their compensation is however reflective of their expectations. Not only are you given the days to take a break and unplug, but also numerous benefits. Furthermore, starting off your career at a place like Deloitte will really help in the future to come as you pick up on things and learn not only about the different businesses, but also what it means to being someone with good work ethics.

Cons

There might be people who might think that there is not work life balance at a big firm like Deloitte. And there is half truth in the statement that during busy season, you are expected to work hard and maybe past the 5 o'clock time. But when busy season is over, you are given a lot of paid time off to really get the rest you earned through your hard work. So it really depends on your personality. Do you like to work hard and play hard? Or do you prefer to just put in your 8 hours of work everyday? If you are someone who prefers the latter, the "work life balance" may be a con. But you have to understand that it is the nature of the business; A busy season and not a busy season.

Advice to Management

As a worker from abroad, I faced issues in obtaining a work VISA; as it is a lottery process. And I think the mobility team is currently doing a fabulous job, but I still believe that there is room for improvement when coordinating staffing between our international offices.

6. Analyst

Pros

It's a great place to meet brilliant people.

Cons

As expected, the environment is full of pressure, but it's rewarding.

Advice to Management

Management is clearly filled with brilliant people, albeit stressed out individuals.

7. Good

Pros

Work life balance is great pay great people great did I reach the stupid minimum

Cons

None that I think of right now give me access God damn it leave me alone I don't want to fill this sht out I just want to find a new job

Advice to Management

Keep it up and stop hassling me I thought this was optional now it is a chore.

8. First Job for Consulting

Pros

Great culture, mentorship, career development, interesting work

Cons

Long hours, difficult work/life balance

9. Life at Deloitte

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mentorship, people, access to leadership and growth, growth, Top rated colleagues, learning and development, market leadership, international outlook

Cons

may not be the best paymaster, choosing projects could be limited to certain managers, bell curve rating system- since everyone are so good, the good could now become average.

10. Amazing company!

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Amazing learning opportunities. Hard work but it pays off in the long run.

Cons

Long hours but that is up to you as to how far you want to advance your career at the company.

Advice to Management

Keep on giving everyone challening opportunities and listen to employees needs to continue to tailor opportunities to employees.

11. ERS Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great team work environment. Leaders care about your own development

Cons

Travelling is expected at least 70% of the time

Advice to Management

Create more opportunity for work life balance

Showing 1,623 of 9,228 reviews