Deloitte Reviews

8,089 Employee Reviews

No work/life balance

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deloitte offers great salary and the benefits are decent. You have many opportunities to expand your skill set and professional network.

Cons

Absolutely no work/life balance. They essentially expect you to be 'on call' 24/7 via your company cell phone. Furthermore, though they promise 5 weeks of PTO, but you cannot take it because if you do, it is impossible to reach your utilization target and then you get penalized for not meeting this metric. Therefore, you have to make up any time you take off as PTO.

For example, I took off time because I was sick; when I got back I had to make up the time that I had been out because I was not "billable" to my client while I was sick; consequently, I got sicker because I wore myself out working overtime (and not getting paid for it). Another time, I was sick for over a month because I simply could not get time off to get better. My doctor finally told me I HAD to take off work and gave me a doctor's note. It was quite ridiculous... I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Furthermore, what they tell candidates in the interviews and during the recruitment process is incorrect. There are catches to almost anything they say. They promised me things and then never held true to their word.

The culture is cut-throat and competitive. You cannot trust anyone because everyone is back-stabbing each other to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your utilization metrics. Most of the work/life balance is due to utilization. Furthermore, be honest and upfront with candidates as they come in the door. Give realistic job descriptions/previews, and hold true to your word. Don't make promises you cannot keep. This will stimulate an environment of trust and employee loyalty.

Work here to get some real hard core consulting experience and then run.....

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Pay is pretty good
    Opportunities to work with great reputable clients across multiple sectors
    Benefits are pretty good

Cons

Peers are very competitive, and are quick to throw people under the bus
    When it comes the managers, it's really a personality contest, if they don't like you, the will simply give you a bad performance review
    Turnover is high- most people stay for a year or two and move on
    If you think you're going to have a work-life balance - forget it!

Advice to Management

Move oversight around how managers are treating their peers

7 Years at Deloitte and hated how they slowly kill you !

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Just the Brand that will be completely destroyed in the Hyderabad offices by the horrible HR and Leadership !

Cons

Indulges in unfair practices
    Fires indiscriminately
    Discriminates against older (experienced) workers
    Arrogant and dictatorial leadership

Advice to Management

Time to revamp management at Hyderabad offices . Very dictatorial and authoritative style of leadership at the Deloitte Digital is killing the morale of the employees !

5. Document Review Attorney

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Friendly co-workers, very collegiate atmosphere. A good place to work for 3 months or less, then leave

Cons

"Team Leads" who have worked there for YEARS still don't know what they're talking about, are vindictive, insensitive, power-crazy. It's sad, they earn $29/hr as contractors for 4 years, are finally made perm Deloitte employers, then become nasty people with superior attitudes. DON'T stay longer than 3 months.

Advice to Management

None, it's hopeless.

Adversarial Stance Toward Employees

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deloitte is busy. Somehow they seem to capture one government contract after another. So, if you're out of work and need a job, you can probably find "something" at Deloitte.

Cons

1. QUALITY OF WORK
    Documentation quality standards seem to be non-existent (Especially those they produce for the State of Indiana Health System). Paragraphs are so poorly constructed that it is nearly impossible to understand what they mean. Quality is not important, they goal (Only goal) is to be paid for a deliverable. Sometimes it requires so many reviews for a single document that State reviewers simply "give up" and figure they can fix it later (which never comes).

2. ADVERSARIAL STANCE TOWARD EMPLOYEES
    Deloitte HR and managers alike take an adversarial position toward their employees. Cameras with audio located in unseen or unnoticed locations are mounted everywhere throughout their offices. Employees are routinely monitored via these cameras. Captured video and audio (conversations, phone calls) are scrutinized for content. It is not unusual for employee reviews to contain the number of hours or minutes employees have spent on phone calls or non-work related websites. Infractions are dealt with harshly and often result in dismissal. In short, this is a place where you work to make ends meet. It's not a place in which you want to plan your career. It's just not a happy or pleasant environment.

Advice to Management

People are NOT human resources that you use and then throw away like plastic bottles.

Deloitte US India ERS - graveyard for MBA careers

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work options
    Great for family people

Cons

- Very very top heavy in US India
    - Horrible arbitrary policies vis listed companies like Accenture, IBM
    - NO CAREER PLAN for MBA campus hires

Advice to Management

US management needs to crack the whip on US India GR&RS leadership to save this boat from sinking. The top heavy culture is encouraging mercenary behavior right now which is completely at odds with the US firm culture. MBA hires are being overlooked in favor of laterals and not groomed as per Deloitte philosophy. The Senior Managers do not even reply to requests for meetings. Staffing on projects has become arbitrary.

8. Demeaning work driven by a multiple personality client driving an inept program office.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were none so I can't sugar coat it. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company if you have half a brain.

Cons

Program manager had no control over the client and as a result there were no meaningful expectations ever expressed by this immature customer to meet. Customer is stuck in training mode with no functional areas defined and no projects that align with their missions. As a result zero improvement has been obtained after an eight year slog.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and hire people at the right level to challenge the client to come up with meaningful metrics to meet their high level goals.

9. Sklave der Firma

Current Employee - Steurberater in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Steurberater in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Karriere entwickeln, Erfahrungen sammeln, als Fachmann Fachkenntnisse erweitern

Cons

Freizeit und work life balance gibt es nicht

10. Tax Consultant - DPR

Current Employee - Tax Consultant I in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant I in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a Number's game. Those who join the bandwagon of Chamcha's here ,can survive.

Cons

Life ruins, Hypocrates all over, Management worst ever, Trusting someone here equals to putting an end to career. Prolonged working hours, No support at all. Eventually Ruthless pursuit of self interest of few would do anything to Jeopardize the future of anyone.

Advice to Management

Change the management at DPR.
    They damn care employees well being, health issues , eventually put anyone in Scrutiny who lags behind in the game of Numbers.
    All they need is Numbers.
    Most callous , hard hearted , ruthless management at DPR.

11. Make sure to ask what Consulting Service Line you are being hired for and avoid AMS

Current Employee - Associate 6
    Current Employee - Associate 6

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The pay is above market
    -Good benefits

Cons

-AMS is not consulting: Application Management Services is a service line of consulting. They will hire you on as a Consultant (Senior Consultant in my case) and then tell you that you are actually being placed in the AMS Associate model. This means you are locked into a single project. At one point one of the Deloitte partners came to tell us more about the AMS Associates model and actually said that there is no career growth for AMS and thus there is no pressure to perform so we should be comfortable with that.
    -Micro management is also encouraged from above and you will have zero work-life balance in AMS. So there goes that "No pressure" theory.
    -Tedious and lengthy review process: In general, the review process tiresome and overkill. Twice yearly, It involves writing an essay and backing it up with all sorts of emails and "proof" that you have been doing your job.
    -Probably the worst part is that you are locked into a single project and work in a call center type environment doing development or SI work and must track every hour of your day to include the 15 minutes you walk to Starbucks.

Advice to Management

-Provide a viable career path for "Consultants" in the Associate model.
    -Use a 360 review process
    -Truly make an effort to improve work-life balance
    -Do what you say, say what you do. Don't use a bait and switch during the hiring process.

Showing 8,089 of 8,527 reviews