Deloitte Reviews

1. Sweat Shop In Las Vegas

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to have Deloitte on your resume. That's it.

Cons

80% of the workforce in this office is allocated to a specific client/engagement team, and that team is extremely dysfunctional. The people on that team work 20% more than everyone else on average and are not rewarded monetarily or even in their evals for the additional work. Furthermore, because it is such a toxic engagement, people FLEE this place constantly. That leaves you with no managers or seniors with institutional knowledge or experience to train others. Furthermore, you are loaded with projects year round to keep you working well over 50 hours / week. There is no such thing as busy season here because you will never see your family or friends again. If you request to be on another engagement, you are treated like a piece of dog meat and blackballed by being labeled as having a bad attitude. Just when you think it couldn't possibly get worse, it always does. I wouldn't recommend this office to anyone, as it is renowned for having the lowest billable rates per employee in the region (meaning that you're overworked and underpaid compared to your peers in the entire western region). What's worse, you don't learn anything because nobody wants to help others because they're too busy trying to fight for their own survival. There is always a mass exodus from this office, and it's for good reason. It's extremely difficult to leave here without quitting, as transfers to another office or another team are pretty much impossible because the partner group is constantly blocking you and forcing you into situations you don't want to be in. I've seen people quit literally within a couple months of being hired. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider this place.

Advice to Management

I would share advice if I thought management would listen, but there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said by the hundreds of people that have already quit and moved on with their lives.

2. A bad experience

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to meet people.

Cons

You have to find a project all by yourself knowing that you are in competition with cheap resources from india, they call it "integration and diversity" because IT is for indians only, what a joke.
    After three years working hard and traveling 24/7, my talent manager called me and asked me to go back to my home office in South America.
    Balance paid end of month, other questions related to visa and home office negociations were unanswered because "it's not her job".
    I finally lost a month not paid, no health insurance and no help from Deloitte. That's how Deloitte deals with their long term employees.

Advice to Management

Try to bring values.

3. No work ethics

Former Employee - Specialist Senior in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist Senior in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good and highly skilled tech team

Cons

Stupid managers always trying to show off.
    Dirty politics. No body cares about client requirements.

Advice to Management

Fire all the managers and get new ones who work for the company instead of their own benefits

Deloitte's Workday practice - not my cup of tea

Former Employee - Workday Senior Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Workday Senior Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Big, sizable practice, mostly the result of purchasing smaller boutique. Lots of people who know Workday. Some are smart, talented, and could be your friends.

Cons

You'll go out of your way and work on the weekends to help project succeed, but your managers will threaten you that your job is on the line if things don't get done. That manager is still practicing and doing well at Deloitte. Work in fear was common.

The actions of one of the most senior principles don't align with his words. Behind scenes, stress/money/time will change any promises made. Publicly you'll hear one thing, but wait until there is difficult situation, and you might experience very different things. When you loose trust and respect of leaders, it is time to move on.

Advice to Management

Just because someone is lower on the management chain, doesn't mean he/she is relevant. Respect, listen, and try to help and relate to those who are few levels down.

Grinds you up and spits you out

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You learn core consulting and client-facing skills. That's about it

Cons

Where to start? This company is not for someone to come mid-career who already has a spouse and family. This firm is like having three full time/part time jobs and only getting paid for one. The Consulting side requires that you not only work over 90% of the time for the client. But you also spend extra time each week looking for "firm activities" (PRD hours) for which you will be graded at the end of the year. You may spend 10-20 hours each week searching for Managers/Sr. Managers who have these hours to give. Then you need to do the work...on top of the hours searching...and on top of the extra hours you spend for your client.

Oh and did I mention that there is no minimum metric whereby you have met a standard by which you know that you are going to get a decent review?

But wait...there's more. You also are not judged on your own merits. You are judged on a curve with he rest of your consort (Consultants vs. other Consultants). So even if you perform:

Over 105% of your hours for the client for the year.
    Spend 10 hours looking for PRD each week.
    And then for the year you end up with 160 PRD hours...

But the rest of your consort does 360 hours. You get downgraded in your review. You could go from a good score to a bad score and then:

1.) Be put on a "PiP"
    2.) Have your promotion year extended out 1 to 2 years
    3.) Are declared ineligible for any bonus or cost of living increase

Its the kind of thing that happened to me.

The pressure to keep salaries low and screw employees out of bonuses and compensation is great. Just so that the partners can split up the pile of money at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Understand that people have lives. They don't live to work at this company. You should NEVER mention the works work, life balance in conjunction with the word Deloitte...ever.

7. audit senior

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

make good friends as many of your colleagues are of your age

Cons

unreasonably long working hours, impossible deadlines, inhumane treatments from the above

The next big 4 to fall

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money, luxurious hotels and meals at the best restaurants of each town.

Cons

Firm culture based on internal networking, which means that you have to spent 90% of your time and energy selling yourself internally to Principals and Senior Managers and 10% taking care of your clients' challenges and issues. If you do the opposite nobody will know you and you will not get staffed, no matter how good you may be. Previous experienced is not respected or recognized, there is only a way, the Deloitte's way...

Advice to Management

Learn from history, wanting to be the biggest consulting firm in the world (in opposed to the most profitable) will only accelerate your fall... PWC and Arthur Andersen were there and did that ;)

Worst professional experience of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, equipment, desks. Chairs were comfortable.
    My paycheck cleared every two weeks, no issues.

Cons

A toxic work environment. Just about every employee is unhappy, in the process of leaving, or thinking about leaving.

I've seen people just "stop showing up to work" with management taking a week to let us know they quit.

Senior management will say things like "Let us know if something is bothering you. Tell us what's going on. Stop by our office, shoot us an e-mail, we'd love to talk". You might take that as an invitation to come by & do so. And a month later you’ll get pulled into a performance review meeting & have your direct manager ask you "Why do you have a lack of respect for the chain of command?" / “Who do you think you are?” / “What’s your problem?”

Afterwards you'll be tasked with playing a "Human Resources Flash" game where you learn Sesame Street level values on how to work with "different kinds of people”.

If you ask a question that management thinks you should already know the answer to, it'll be brought up 6 months later during your mid-year review as proof that you’re not doing your job. Really.

The EDSC runs on a “Military” like model; speak when spoken to, never talk back, and don’t offer your opinion on anything unless asked.

“1 – 5” Employee Review system is broken. Your “score” will determine your bonus. If you do your job, fulfill the requirements laid out in your job description, you’ll get a “3”. A “3” means you don’t get much of a bonus. “Just doing your job” nets large bonuses everywhere else in the world of e-Discovery.

Field Project Managers are "Yes Men" sales people. They have no idea how processing / review software work. Project Coordinators are tasked with keeping promises that PM’s shouldn’t have made, and are forced to violate "Best Practices" workflows daily. The “tech” people in the back office doing the SQL work & processing data are overworked, underpaid, and extremely embittered.

Charges of sexism abound.

Advice to Management

The EDSC needs to be managed by people who know how to manage outside of the military.

Let PM's be the "Sales People" they are, instead of giving them a title like Project Manager. And get PM's in the field who know e-Discovery 101.

10. Deloitte

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The name and use of it on your resume

Cons

hours, no work life balance, not viewed as a person, no one cares about your well-being

11. Deloitte Audit Singapore - Bad and boring

Current Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Deloitte as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Not much. Stable iron rice bowl. If you like travellign around the city you get to go to clients' offices for audit engagements.

Cons

low pay, boring work, boring people, and lots of employees in audit want to leave. I think the other departmengs MIGHT have more interesting work, but i cannot know