Deloitte

Deloitte Reviews

3.5

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 465 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1240 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 248 reviews)

More Highlights

For Consulting: Trade-off is slightly higher pay, but lot of travel from home, long work hours & poor work life balance.

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Typical consulting benefits of variety (due to moving from one project to the next), smart (but competitive) people, and travel (which can quickly be way too much time away from home).

Cons

In consulting field, offers typical jobs oriented around client project based work with significant travel (typical week is travel out on Monday and return on Thursday evening) plus have to a lot of other "work plates spinning" such as sales targets, client utilization, recruiting and face-time/networking with the Partners to get ahead. Promotions are definetly based on how well you are liked versus so called performance criteria. In the end, it's time for money. And, you work so many hours the amount you really earn is not the much compared with industry jobs.

Less focus on how-well you are "liked", versus how well one performs. Reduce the amount of time needed just to complete all the 'adminstrivia' associated with job.

Deloitte Consulting - Not actually strategy consulting

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Tons of vacation, if you can find time to use it.

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of work/life balance. More emphasis placed on in-office activities then client work in annual reviews. Almost no real "strategy" consulting, everything is operational and implementation work. A project may include a 6 week "strategy" assessment and then the next 2 years are operational work.

Learn to better manage younger generations

Deloitte does not have a good work-life balance

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

It is a large company with a good reputation

Cons

It gives unfair promotions and pay

Give more direct communication

Get on your plane and go to work

Current Employee - Consulting Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consulting Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

It has to be the money, it can't be the people because we hire anyone who can touch the bar. The culture is good in good times and cut-throat in the not so good times. If you are short on revenue this year, watch out because the axe-man wields a sharp edge.

Cons

There are too many slacking and low revenue principals being carried around by their senior managers.

Take yourselves less seriously, it's just consulting - you're not really changing the way our clients do business, they are. In the tough times, we look so hard in managing the bottom line that we overlook the opportunity to double-down on our investmest (people). Stop paying lip-service to training.

Tax Associate

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

According to top tax executives across the United States, the most important attributes of a tax advisory firm are service responsiveness, the ability to implement recommendations, a reputation for quality and how deeply it understands your business. Discover why so many leading companies of all sizes, private and public, rely on us as their tax advisor year after year.

For all of its complexity, the area of international tax boils down to a single imperative: Reduce your global effective tax rate. We offer innovative international tax-savings ideas that align with your overall business objectives and the way your company operates.

Cons

Crucial to a multinational company's success today is the efficient integration of customs and international trade processes into its overall business goals, tax planning and supply chain management. Clearly, indirect tax savings — including customs duty savings — have a direct impact on a company's bottom line. But high-volume global traders wishing to achieve such savings face a host of challenges.

Our services help you navigate the complex maze of customs and trade rules, manage compliance risk, automate import and export processes, and maximize cost and duty savings opportunities associated with the production, import and export of goods around the world.

As the world becomes more interconnected, your success is directly linked through networks to every stakeholder in your business. We can help you understand the complexity of issues such as performance, privacy, risk, controls and data analysis.

Deloitted to work there - at first

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Location, benefits, pay depending on job category, teamwork if you were fortunate enough to be on a helpful team, looks good on your resume when you move onto another employer, were some in middle management who cared about you as a person and not just an employee number.

Cons

Office politics at many levels, those who kissed up the most got promoted, hard-working individuals who gave more than 100% to the company were let go, rollout of new software systems were chaotic.

Perhaps consider consolidating the layers of middle management.

It is wonderful that many are promoted to senior positions but the administrative support ratio is strained and unevenly balanced. There should be a uniform, consistent limit as to how many senior-level people administrative staff supports.

Also, consider doing away with the matrixed support structure as it leads to confusion and divided loyalties.

Great People

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Great people...wonderfull resources...you get a global perspective

Cons

Long hours and stressfull at times...but worth it

Senior management is very competent...I sometimes worry about the middle managers at the firm

Good place to start your career

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The people are what make Deloitte a good place to work. Individuals who work at Deloitte are looking to solve the next challenge. The technology provided to employees are top notch and the latest software are provided to the entire firm. Flexible work arrangements and diversity trainings are good. For those who like to travel, a request can be put in to do a secondment. In addition, engagements that travel outside of state are also an option for those who request this opportunity. Vacation days of 4 weeks cannot be beat for Manager on up - esp when compared to industry.

Cons

The hours can be tough. For those who get put on an engagement that travels extensively, the travel makes it a little more tougher - especially for work/life balance. I have had to work through holidays and cancelled vacation plans to make a client deadline. Management appreciates the extra effort and rewards you - but I know that I will never get that time back again. There is also a lack of sales training for Managers. This skillset is best learned through mentoring relationships with partners who are open to taking the time to take Managers on sales meetings. Making time to include the managers will benefit the entire organization.

Be more open and honest with the group especially during these tough economic times. Rumors are rampent and requires Senior Management to communicate more as to what is going on with the Firm as a whole.

Good place to gain some experience

Former Employee - Tax Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

big name, client base, and global network and resources

Cons

politics, sometimes you dont see the bigger picture. The coorination within the team can be bad. Some manager level people very difficult to deal with. Same thing with partner level. But these people have more influences, making it worse, especially if you need to work direct with them.

Some partner level people are nice and easy to work with , some not so.

Great place to work, but some things lacking

Current Employee - Consulting Manager
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Of all the consulting firms I've worked for, Deloitte is the most receptive to trying to maintain some semblance of a work-life balance. Compensation is above average and is something that doesn't cause a lot of heartburn among practitioners. Other benefits, including PTO and leave, are top-notch and Deloitte walks the talk when it comes to supporting diversity and women's initiatives.

Cons

I've been kind of suprised that Deloitte doesn't utilize the "work hard, play hard" mentality that I have seen with a lot of other firms. There is definitely less of sense of community with Deloitte than other consulting firms.

Build a stronger sense of community in the consulting practice