Deloitte Reviews

291 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Deloitte is an overall good place to work and great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Tax Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

I chose a career at Deloitte because of the recognition and reputation you get from working at a "Big 4" firm . After working there for a little more than a year I can honestly say that I am happy with my choice. If you get your work done, show quality of effort and perform well there is ample opportunity to grow within the firm. The main thing is meeting the expectations that are set for you and exceeding them if you are capable. The benefits packages and the health subsidy offered are also great.

Cons

The only down side is the busy season when the hours become insane. I work in tax so we have 2 busy seasons that each consist of about 6 to 8 weeks. For the October tax season, the worst ever week was 105 hours. There were 2 weeks like that and the rest of the October busy season, which lasts a total of 2 months, was an average of 75 -80 hours weekly. The April busy season was not as bad as October, my weekly average was about 70-75 hours, and I didn't have to endure any 100+ hour weeks.

Advice to Management

I am very pleased with the Senior Management in my group because they all are very caring and smart people who take a genuine interest in the people who work with them and ask them for their guidance.

2. Deloitte Consulting - Not actually strategy consulting

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Tons of vacation, if you can find time to use it.

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of work/life balance. More emphasis placed on in-office activities then client work in annual reviews. Almost no real "strategy" consulting, everything is operational and implementation work. A project may include a 6 week "strategy" assessment and then the next 2 years are operational work.

Advice to Management

Learn to better manage younger generations

Great for people who love to work long and hard hours with lots of stress for some payoffs of money and career growth

Current Employee - Manager - AERS in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager - AERS in Chicago, IL

Pros

You will find lots of opportunities to grow professionally and you will get to work with a large and diverse number of people. You can also quickly gain leadership positions. Plus the salaries and benefits are good.

Cons

In order to be successful at Deloitte, in a client service role, you need to devote nearly all of your waking hours to your job. You need to be ok with lots of travel. And you need to be ok with lots and lots of administrative duties and constant scrutiny from your bosses.

Advice to Management

Try to realize that your perceptions are not always accurate. Please stop pretending that work-life balance is a priority at Deloitte because it is not a priority at all.

5. Great People

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Great people...wonderfull resources...you get a global perspective

Cons

Long hours and stressfull at times...but worth it

Advice to Management

Senior management is very competent...I sometimes worry about the middle managers at the firm

6. Deloitte does not have a good work-life balance

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It is a large company with a good reputation

Cons

It gives unfair promotions and pay

Advice to Management

Give more direct communication

7. Good place to start your career

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people are what make Deloitte a good place to work. Individuals who work at Deloitte are looking to solve the next challenge. The technology provided to employees are top notch and the latest software are provided to the entire firm. Flexible work arrangements and diversity trainings are good. For those who like to travel, a request can be put in to do a secondment. In addition, engagements that travel outside of state are also an option for those who request this opportunity. Vacation days of 4 weeks cannot be beat for Manager on up - esp when compared to industry.

Cons

The hours can be tough. For those who get put on an engagement that travels extensively, the travel makes it a little more tougher - especially for work/life balance. I have had to work through holidays and cancelled vacation plans to make a client deadline. Management appreciates the extra effort and rewards you - but I know that I will never get that time back again. There is also a lack of sales training for Managers. This skillset is best learned through mentoring relationships with partners who are open to taking the time to take Managers on sales meetings. Making time to include the managers will benefit the entire organization.

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest with the group especially during these tough economic times. Rumors are rampent and requires Senior Management to communicate more as to what is going on with the Firm as a whole.

Get on your plane and go to work

Current Employee - Consulting Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consulting Director in Denver, CO

Pros

It has to be the money, it can't be the people because we hire anyone who can touch the bar. The culture is good in good times and cut-throat in the not so good times. If you are short on revenue this year, watch out because the axe-man wields a sharp edge.

Cons

There are too many slacking and low revenue principals being carried around by their senior managers.

Advice to Management

Take yourselves less seriously, it's just consulting - you're not really changing the way our clients do business, they are. In the tough times, we look so hard in managing the bottom line that we overlook the opportunity to double-down on our investmest (people). Stop paying lip-service to training.

9. Great place to work, but some things lacking

Current Employee - Consulting Manager
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager

Pros

Of all the consulting firms I've worked for, Deloitte is the most receptive to trying to maintain some semblance of a work-life balance. Compensation is above average and is something that doesn't cause a lot of heartburn among practitioners. Other benefits, including PTO and leave, are top-notch and Deloitte walks the talk when it comes to supporting diversity and women's initiatives.

Cons

I've been kind of suprised that Deloitte doesn't utilize the "work hard, play hard" mentality that I have seen with a lot of other firms. There is definitely less of sense of community with Deloitte than other consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Build a stronger sense of community in the consulting practice

10. Deloitted to work there - at first

Pros

Location, benefits, pay depending on job category, teamwork if you were fortunate enough to be on a helpful team, looks good on your resume when you move onto another employer, were some in middle management who cared about you as a person and not just an employee number.

Cons

Office politics at many levels, those who kissed up the most got promoted, hard-working individuals who gave more than 100% to the company were let go, rollout of new software systems were chaotic.

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider consolidating the layers of middle management. It is wonderful that many are promoted to senior positions but the administrative support ratio is strained and unevenly balanced. There should be a uniform, consistent limit as to how many senior-level people administrative staff supports. Also, consider doing away with the matrixed support structure as it leads to confusion and divided loyalties.

Good place to gain some experience

Former Employee - Tax Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior in San Francisco, CA

Pros

big name, client base, and global network and resources

Cons

politics, sometimes you dont see the bigger picture. The coorination within the team can be bad. Some manager level people very difficult to deal with. Same thing with partner level. But these people have more influences, making it worse, especially if you need to work direct with them.

Advice to Management

Some partner level people are nice and easy to work with , some not so.

RSS Feed </> Embed