Deloitte

www.deloitte.com

202 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Deloitte really the best place to start your career

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- People: I have met about 90% of all my best friends at Deloitte. The caliber of people that Deloitte brings to the table is astounding. These are the people you want to work with, get drunk with, and be at your wedding (because of course they know your SO and get along famously). In addition, the managers I have worked with have always been easy to talk to, with few exceptions. I was lucky enough to find my mentor at Deloitte, who I think will be a confidant of mine well after I leave Deloitte (if I do end up leaving).
    - The Benefits: health fitness subsidy, great health insurance plans, travel benefits, the list goes on...
    - Growth Opportunities: Deloitte does invest in its people (as long as what you want to learn is in line with what the clients will want in the long term) but generally, I have found that the people at Deloitte genuinely care about my career and personal growth, even if that growth leads me to a different company and out of consulting. The genuine interest in me as a person, not just as a Deloitte employee is huge.
    - Travel: So many airline miles and hotel points. I traveled to Germany, NYC, New Orleans, Savannah from the client site for the weekends, and it was awesome.
    - Working with client senior leadership: This is something that is so unique about Deloitte and consulting in general; you get to work with senior leadership right out of college. How many college grads get to say that?
    -Work Life Balance: Work life balance can be tough, but as I say to the analysts below me, if you want it and set that expectation that you value your personal time, others will too.

Cons

- Work life balance: While you can have a work life balance at Deloitte, as with all consulting gigs, it can be tough to maintain when you are leaving on a red eye Sunday night and returning home on Thursday at 11pm (I did this for a year and a half), so dating becomes near impossible and you miss out on a lot of stuff that happens during the week... nature of the beast though. It's good while you are young, but I am not sure how people maintain it for the long term.
    - Maintaining a healthy lifestyle: Exercising and eating healthy is tough on the road, but do-able.
    - The Travel: While its awesome and there are a lot of perks, be prepared to crash at 7pm on the weekends.
    - In the Technology Consulting path, it can be difficult to move into a different service line or track.

Keep doing what you're doing. In the Bay Area, we need to do something that keeps talent here, whether that is in offering consultants the ability to choose projects (client and internal) that interest them or letting them leave a project or service line that they are unhappy in. Deloitte needs to strategize around how to be more competitive amid all the tech and social enterprise companies in the Bay.

Great!

Current Employee - Audit Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Pay, networking, learning, growth, benefits

Cons

long hours, work life balance

Make sure everyones happy

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Human Capital Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Capital Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing travel opportunities, incredible people to work with, great culture

Cons

work-life balance can get out of hand during some weeks

Good Place to Start a Career

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* good pay
    * smart people
    * fast paced
    * travel
    * lots of perks

Cons

* no work/life balance
    * lot of responsibilities with little gratification

respect your employees

Cultural Shift

Current Employee - ERS Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ERS Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility in time management and where you work when not at client engagement

Cons

Very long hours as some project teams are 'abusive'
    lack of work life balance despite the preaching

Care about your people and respect that they have lives. We are not commodities or bodies to be thrown around.

A lot of emphasis on relationships and showmanship

Former Employee - Audit in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Audit in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good preparation for a business and sale career

Cons

A lot of time spent on managing interpersonal relationship since it is an industry based on client relationship and likability.

Challenging with little work/life balance

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience with new challenges daily. Excellent pay & benefits. Lots of resources. Great learning opportunities. Brilliant, innovative coworkers.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. 90%+ travel. Rarely doing the work you are hired for and experienced in. Resources available but communication on how to find resources is not always available. Short turnaround for project delivery. Little time to take advantage of learning opportunities. Average 6 hours sleep a night. Senior Management seems to have less sleep. The culture breeds employees that are only out for themselves.

Do a better assessment of what employee's skills are in order to nurture. Recognize what they are not good at, or do not know, and provide development.

Competitive place

Former Employee - Senior Consultant - S&O in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant - S&O in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive culture but strategy ops is primarily focused on ops - not strategy

Cons

great place if you want to see strategies being implemented and be a part of it
    Go to Mck, Bain, Booz if you want to do real strategy work

great place to start, terrible place to stay

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great training, networking, learning opportunities. you can get promoted without fighting with others. if you are patient enough, you will make it big whether internally or externally.

Cons

terrible pay and work life balance. Exit opportunities is limited to what you work on. you should stay only if you are really pursuing a career in accounting. if you plan to switch to some other field like consulting or finance, then quit ASAP and start over there.

pay more and hire more. It cannot hurt the bottom line that much.

AERS Intern - Good learning experience, drink the Kool-Aid

Former Intern - ERS in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - ERS in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte as an intern

Pros

Great brand name for resume, opens doors. Lots of resources for students to learn how to network and prepare quality deliverables under ambiguity.

Cons

Company culture is driven by politics. Most employees are in for the name and experience and are constantly thinking of the exit opportunities. Counselors/mentors are doing their job just for the kudos and the advancement opportunities. There are some genuine people who are passionate in their work but they are rare.

Encourage a culture of transparency and transformation. Acknowledge that working for a Deloitte is a means to an end (for most) and foster coaching relationships instead of avoiding the subject. Review managers' impact on their mentees and encourage 360 transparency.