Deloitte Reviews

Reset
3.7
Deloitte Deloitte US CEO Cathy Engelbert
Cathy Engelbert

Pros
  • Advanced attitude towards work-life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Probably a good place to start your career (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work-life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• There is no Work-Life Balance at all (in 254 reviews)

1. Exponential Career Growth

Current Employee - Audit Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte is one of the quickest ways to advance your Career in the Business World. There is an extremely high learning curve, that continues through-out your Career. Your working with the best and the brightest people who all have similar high ambitions to succeed. Your value in the Market Place grows exponentially with your time spent at Deloitte. Business Week 2007 ratings place Deloitte as the #1 place to launch a career out of college.

Cons

There can be some extremely long hours. But much of that depends on the Clients you have. You are compensated with 23-28 PTO days and 10 paid holidays per year. Work life balance can be tough especially if you're working a lot of hours while trying to pass the CPA and still have some resemblance of a life.

Advice to Management

Be aware the number of hours it takes to get something done and if the budgeted hours are too skimpy people will eat hours to get the job done and receive a good review.

2. Excellent employer for building skills, talent and moving ahead, main issue - work life balance/travel

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Credibility in industry, excellent colleagues, challenging opportunities

Cons

Travel, hours, no ability (or support) for flexible schedules - unless you do it yourself

Advice to Management

Try to work to get a better life balace for employees, focus on more local work and to be more flexible with telecommutting/flexible schedules.

3. Best place to work until you have a family!

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- Variety: opportunity to work across any industry if you don't yet know exactly what you're interested in - Opportunity to work in 1 or 2 industries if you're passionate about any - Flexibility - busy time on projects, but usually some down-time ("beach time") between projects which can be like a mini-vacation - Variety of work if you're interested in many areas of business - GREAT people - Collaborative, friendly, embracing culture - Continuous performance review, and opportunity for self-improvement and development - Travel opportunities - Hotel points and airline miles (i.e. free international vacations) - Learning from your peers and senior managers about what to do and what not to do - Opportunity to do a wide variety of activities outside client-work - Endless learning possibilities - Leadership positions in a variety of work- and non-work related areas - Lots of vacation time - Ability to take on more and more responsibility - Closely work with very senior people who are experts in their areas, but give you opportunity to shine and contribute - International opportunities - Internal mobility across the hundreds of offices around the globe

Cons

- It's a big company with a lot of systems and processes, sometimes can feel bureaucratic - Can't get promoted much out of cycle - Below-average pay - Time-consuming and annoying weekly expense-reporting system - Hard to balance work and private life due to 100% travel with projects - Lots of long ERP systems implementation projects

Advice to Management

- Continue what you're doing, and learn from each other across regions and offices - some offices have definitely a better, more well-defined and appreciated culture in the office, than other - Continue to seek feedback and listen to the employees. Always afraid that the culture will change if one partner/office MD/regional MD/service area lead/service line lead will leave, or rotate out of their position;

5. Best of the Big 4

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ERS Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Quite simply, I'm challenged every day to so something different. As a professional services firm, obviously client interaction is the primary job and it's fascinating to me to interact with myriad different kinds of people of companies. The firm does all kinds of client service work, so there's probably some kind of interesting work for anyone interested in the firm. Excuse me if I sound a little "rah rah Deloitte" but the firm takes good care of me and lets me do work I enjoy with people I respect and care about. "The people" is something Deloitte uses as a selling point in recruiting and I do beleive it's more than just hype. The people at Deloitte are bright, motivated, team players. I've worked on a multitude of different projects and made good friends internally at every one. I also have to give special mention to the internal feedback system. Professionals at every level are encouraged to use a formal scorecard system to get feedback from their colleagues about what they're doing and how they can do it better. The scorecards are an invaluable tool for improving job performance.

Cons

This kind of work isn't for everyone. It took me 6 months in the firm before i really found a kind of work I enjoy, and nearly half of the recruiting class I started with have moved on within 2 years. The hours can be long and the travel times can be high. You have to be willing to be a mobile worker. I don't have a desk of my own, and whenever I'm in the home office, I have to reserve space ahead of time.

Advice to Management

Senior management does a good job of obfuscating the promotion and compensation adjustment processes. While the feedback process is outstanding, it's hard to tell how that translates back into promotions and raises.

6. Good place to work.

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Competitive compensation, young co-workers, energetic company, and name.

Cons

May be difficult to be noticed.

Advice to Management

none

7. Great.. headed towards being 'one of the best'

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Competency of peers and colleagues forces you to perform at your best. Career advancement in areas of interest and the ability to manage your own career.

Cons

Despite recent house-cleaning, there is still some disparity between the performance and competency of those in management roles. There is a need to define different career paths for employees in different streams and different goals.

Advice to Management

Great work in communications over the past year! Lack of Quarterly Staff Meetings and some any social events is stifling the creation of internal networks and the ability of some of the newer practitioners to prosper.

8. very good place to start the career

Former Employee - DC Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - DC Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Management is very good in certain aspects

Cons

Lots of Layoffs when the market is down

Advice to Management

they are good, look at the future, please stop following last in first out policy... you have lost many good guys because of this

9. ERS

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Great culture! Very supportive of any concerns you may have. Great learning environment

Cons

It's a great place but very competitive....are you ready to put 120% 100% of the time? All type A's looking to get ahead faster

Advice to Management

More aknowldegement to those who deserve it. When you have all type A's working together, work life balance is a theory of the past.

10. Good place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Good place to acquire technical experience, meet people. Very good benefits incl. ones not offered by other Big 4.

Cons

Work-life balance? That's a challenging concept in client service.

Advice to Management

Include people management skills and people retention track record in PPD's evaluations and performance ratings as a tool for retaining staff long-term.

11. Consulting is a tough pace but love the people and company's support for them!

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

- Smartest people I've worked with. - Definitely a team culture. - Work hard, play hard. - Good time off.

Cons

- Travel, travel, travel, travel. - No stock options (compared to a tech company obviously) - Practices can be small but the company is very large (obviously)

Advice to Management

Definitely the best big 4 consulting firm in being collegial and supporting its people. I had a death in the immediate family while I was there and the managers and partners were super, super supportive!

Showing 227 of 8,812 reviews