Deloitte

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Deloitte CEO Joe Echevarria

Joe Echevarria

186 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

All that glitters is not...

Contracts Management (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsSalaries are good. Benefits are decent. Flexible working hours.

ConsUnless you are part of the Partner/Principal ladder, they tolerate you at best. You are held to standards that are not written on paper, but held against you nonetheless. Bad habit of hiring leadership from without instead of cultivating talent from within. Are moving to increased "hoteling" experience to increase "teamwork". Don't know about you, but it is not productive to have to find a new desk everyday; to work in an open area with all sorts of distractions and interruptions. Really just a "justification" for cheaper office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe inclusive of support services and let them do the job their career field demands. Recognize their contributions. You make mistakes as often as anyone else in your business (yes, we see it and we hear it).

Deloitte's Public Sector review

Senior Consultant (Federal) (Current Employee)
    Rosslyn, VA

Pros- Salary
    - Stability
    - Structure
    - Benefits

I've worked in Deloitte's Federal AERS practice for five years and met some great Partner's.

Cons- Boring work
    - Politics. Those who suck up will move up
    - Long-term engagement

Although I've met great parnters, I've worked with terrible managers. As a CPA, my direct manager was a government major and I didn't learn anything from them.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more recognition to staff level practitioners, make them feel like you can build a career at Deloitte. the expectation for many staff members is that you stay at Deloitte for 2-5 years and then you leave. You'd save alot of money if you invest in your people in the long term.

Not A Good Firm

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Rosslyn, VA

ProsThe fringe benefits are very good.

ConsUtilization is your worst enemy. I don't know why it is said that this is a great place to work. The layers of red tape between never ending progress reports and trying to keep your job is just too much. Also, it is not easy to switch counselors, when you get a bad one it is really bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent (HR) is not helpful. The entire system should be replaced. Once on the bench, it is really your job to network and find yourself another job. Talent will give you anything anywhere, if it does not work for you too bad.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great starter place, incredible learning experience, but will burn you out

Federal Business Technology Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rosslyn, VA

Prosthe experience is priceless - several different projects, everyone gets immense responsibilities, there are various types of clients and opportunities in any industry you can imagine (in Deloitte consulting)

in the federal market place hours are not bad, mostly a standard 40-45 hr work week. Mentorship is incredible, and they encourage you to network and find mentors within the firm.

ConsThe firm expects a lot of you outside of normal work, you must do 400+ hours o f"firm activities" a year, outside of client work. It is usually very pointless like being on silly committees. The firm is also big on basically who is the best at sucking up and getting on high visibility intiatives. ratings are also unfair and on a bell curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop asking for more, more, more. Quality over quantity.

Deloitte is a great company to work for!

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsGreat company to grow and accelerate your career at. They offer competitive salary as well. Deloitte has a great promotion structure. You will get promoted every two-three years as long as you do what's required. Heavy emphasis on training and it's mandatory for all employees to attend Deloitte University in Texas.

ConsYou have to be willing to work 45-50 hours minimum. Most Consultants work well over 50 hours. Additionally, you are required to put in anywhere from 150-200 hours in to firm contributions (outside of client related work).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from the firm contribution!!! This should be an optional thing just like it is with other Consulting firms.

Great experiences with a hit to work/life

Senior Consultant (Federal) (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsAt Deloitte you are surrounded by really smart people at all levels. There are a ton of training opportunities; it is clear the firm invests in its practitioners. Client projects are challenging in a good way, and if you play your cards right you can network your way over to the specific type of project you want to work on. There are also many opportunities to build small communities in this very large firm, including communities of practice in which you can develop skills to apply later on in a client situation. If you're bored here, you're doing something wrong.

Also, the firm has amazing benefits, and I think fair compensation for the junior levels.

ConsThere are so many opportunities that you really need to learn how to say no. The firm will take as much as you give to it, or more. In addition to client work, practitioners are expected to help grow the firm through internal initiatives such as recruiting, business development, developing new solutions/tools/methodologies, etc. These are all really good opportunities, but they are a lot to ask on top of the 40-45 hours (Federal) that we are spending on client work. These opportunities become expectations the higher you get in the firm, and compensation starts to lag.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider requiring senior level sponsorship for each internal initiative, with careful review to make sure it is going to provide a return on practitioners' investment of time.

You grow if you work hard

Manager (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsYou work with very professional people
    great training
    fast growth and promotions if you work hard
    good pay
    5 weeks vacation if you can take it

Conshard to maintain work life balance
    Need to work more than 40hr/ week with no overtime
    Usually you lose your vacation since performance is measure by the utilization hrs.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to work on how to balance the firm activities and enable employees to maintain their work life balance

Great company with great cultural, amazing ppl.

Specialist Senior (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsLots of training for your own interest, benefits is the best comparing to the other Big Four as I know.

ConsNeed to find the project by your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementSatisfied with the management team.

Great Benefits but Bad Leadership

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Probably a good place to start your career... then its easier to navigate through the company.

ConsVery cut-throat leadership. People are used and tossed very easily. Not a good work/life balance. Emphasis is on getting billable hours in as opposed to gaining valuable skills and focus on customer quality. Technical skills are not valued. So perhaps a great company for people who are interested in business development and marketing. Stay clear if you have technical skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to figure out whether they want consultants focused on selling or technical people who actually have skills.

Hired Gun

Associate (Current Employee)
    Rosslyn, VA

ProsSalary is above average if you have the skillset they need.

ConsOnce the project you were hired for as an Associate (hired gun) is over, there is no job placement assistance or aggressive resource management help to find you another. Their attitude is - your work here is done, thank you and let me show you to the door. If you are inside the company filling a regular company position, it is a show me the money and up or out atmosphere. This company reminds me of "House of Lies" to the tee. It is all about exceeding financials without regard to the welfare of their personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery other consulting company I have worked for had an advocate or senior leadership that found you your next job at the company. Here there is no motivation to retain talent unless you can make them money above the margins.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!

Deloitte Videos

Deloitte – Why Work for Us?

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deloitte reviews and ratings in Virginia — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deloitte CEO Joe Echevarria. All 186 reviews posted anonymously by Deloitte employees.