Deloitte

Deloitte Reviews in Virginia

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Deloitte CEO Joe Echevarria

Joe Echevarria

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance(in 423 reviews)

• Great place to start off your career to learn a lot of skills(in 143 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance(in 1082 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate(in 218 reviews)

189 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Benefits but Bad Leadership

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Probably a good place to start your career... then its easier to navigate through the company.

ConsVery cut-throat leadership. People are used and tossed very easily. Not a good work/life balance. Emphasis is on getting billable hours in as opposed to gaining valuable skills and focus on customer quality. Technical skills are not valued. So perhaps a great company for people who are interested in business development and marketing. Stay clear if you have technical skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to figure out whether they want consultants focused on selling or technical people who actually have skills.

Deloitte is full of many challenges and opportunities.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsDeloitte offers over 250 services that are offered to most every type of client.
    Great place to start a career in your 20s..

ConsDeloitte works as a large, complex, ineffiicient company with many subcompany owners (ie: Principals and Partners) to keep happy.
    Principals and Partners line their pockets at expense of lower level staff.
    No accountability by Principals and Partners to keep high performing staff or any staff.
    Not a good place to work if you are over 40.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeloitte's product is it's people. Delloite needs to do a better job keeping top notch people. To do this Deloitte needs to implement a Resource Management system that really works to keep people from having to network to find next available job. Networking in such a large company is very time consuming.
    Mid-Year and Year End Performance Evaluation process is labor intensive with a lot of rating inflation based on popularity.

Great company, but mostly for "work is life" people

Business Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsGreat mentorship, senior leadership is always willing to help younger practioniers. Pay is competitive and if you work hard raises will be too. Lots of different projects to work on and experience to get. There is a project for any work you'd want to do. I'm in the federal space so I don't have to travel if I don't want to (cause I live in dc)

ConsIt is a shark tank. Everyone is trying to be the best (which creates healthy competition) but at the same time, everyone just does more and more and more to be better to the next person. If you want to really succeed, Deloitte has to be your life.

I really don't like all the extra firm activities we have to do outside of client work. We work our 40-45 hour work weeks with the client but then also have to do additional "firm activities" and get 300 extra hours a year. Most of these activites are completely pointless. The end of year consensus process is rigorous, and at the end of the day it is the people who have kissed butt the most and made Deloitte their life who end up on top.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake end of year ratings more about the work, and not who you know

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and bad

ERS Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThis is not a 9 to 5 job. You wear many hats, from client service to firm initiatives. As a practitioner, you are helping clients with their issues as well as helping partners and managers developing businesses. As a big 4 firm, it is a great name on the resume as you look for other opportunities down the road.

ConsBecause the company is so big, there is no way for it to track your accomplishments for promotion purposes. Therefore, you have to constantly keep track of that for yourself. This creates a big burden on the practiioners' part in the form of performance evaluations, mid-year and year-end assessments. Sometimes people are promoted for the wrong reasons (ie: promoted to manager by being an expert at what they do, instead of being promoted for actually being good at managing people.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive. Try to really understand what your subordinates need. Even if the efforts are not successful, the staff can sense the difference in a good way.

Good for some, but not for me

Technology Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood opportunities for training (both internally and externally) and career growth. From working there, I really learned to take charge of my career. Despite being a Software Developer, I liked the emphasis put on skills such as communication, teamwork, networking, and industry knowledge, in addition to technical skills. This has definitely helped me to grow and stand out in my field.

Internal initiatives allow employees to explore new career areas outside of client work.

Benefits are good, and so are the amount of available PTO days.

ConsWork/life balance can be very poor. While I worked on projects where this wasn't the case, I was working 80+ hours at my last project there. There were even some weeks where I worked around the clock. The last straw came when I had a conference call that went from 9pm to 2am in the morning, only to have my manager call me the following morning at 7am to see if I was up working again, despite the late night. Mind you that I had to be at the client site that same morning. It was a non-stop cycle. I can honestly say that since I've left that I make way more money, work way less hours, and I'm able to enjoy other parts of my life now.

In addition to client work hours, the internal initiatives were forced on all employees, and if you didn't do a lot of them, you would be evaluated harshly at Year-End. This caused a lot of people to just "check the box", particularly with community service activities, where I would hear people constantly say things like they're just "getting their hours in". I'm sorry but I feel like you should have a purpose for doing volunteer work, not just because Deloitte tells you to do it.

There is a lot of favoritism at the firm as well, more than I've seen at any other job that I've had. I also felt that there was little to no respect for experienced hires. Which was unfortunate because I found that most people that grew up in the Deloitte culture were very generalized and didn't have the skill set that experienced hires had. Many of the young analysts were also very rude, arrogant, and disrespectful, and I felt that senior management encouraged this kind of behavior.

I could seriously go on and on, but this highlights some of my biggest complaints. If you're one that wants to live life, and not be chained to a job, be very very cautious before deciding to come to Deloitte. I would also forewarn anyone who has a family (poor work/life, no regard for family duties), or someone who (like myself) is in a very tech-focused field (much of Deloitte's tech consulting firm is "process" based - they have very few software development projects).

Great company with great cultural, amazing ppl.

Specialist Senior (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsLots of training for your own interest, benefits is the best comparing to the other Big Four as I know.

ConsNeed to find the project by your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementSatisfied with the management team.

Hired Gun

Associate (Current Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsSalary is above average if you have the skillset they need.

ConsOnce the project you were hired for as an Associate (hired gun) is over, there is no job placement assistance or aggressive resource management help to find you another. Their attitude is - your work here is done, thank you and let me show you to the door. If you are inside the company filling a regular company position, it is a show me the money and up or out atmosphere. This company reminds me of "House of Lies" to the tee. It is all about exceeding financials without regard to the welfare of their personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery other consulting company I have worked for had an advocate or senior leadership that found you your next job at the company. Here there is no motivation to retain talent unless you can make them money above the margins.

Awesome Company High Expectations

Federal Business Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsOutstanding benefits, pay, and time-off. Leadership really cares about the development of the younger and entry level positions. Opportunity for advancement is based on a 2 year plan and is basically an automatic promotion. Training facility and learning experiences in Texas are unbeatable. Great young work environment as well and you can move projects easily if you are not happy with your current client. Work averages about 50 hours per week.

ConsExtremely competitive and compared through rating system which reflects raises to colleagues in all aspects. Hard to keep up with client, firm, and proposal initiatives. If you are not from feeder schools i.e. Virginia Tech, UVA, JMU, etc. you will have trouble getting the major opportunities associated with the connections through alumni.

They tend to sell a false bill of goods on the Federal side

Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsEminence activities allow you to build your skillset in areas your project doesn't offer
    Commercial practitioners give you hope for competent employees unlike federal
    Deloitte brand can still take you places

ConsPerceived meritocracy is nothing but a good ol boys club
    Salary raises are GARBAGE
    Review ratings are inconsistent

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to call something a meritocracy, stick to it. I've witnessed enough handouts to scrubs who have done absolutely nothing but kiss butt. Return to your old compensation structure. The new compensation structure was a lie for the most part. You claimed to lean more towards bonuses than raises, but all you did was lower raises and keep bonuses the same.

Suck Up to Management, Conform, or Fail

Audit Senior Assistant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsStandard Promotions. Earnings a little bit more than minimum wage. Looks good on the resume. You learn alot. High quality work performed on enagagements; but only due to fear by management of PCAOB comments.

ConsWork Life Balance - One of Deloitte's biggest jokes, which is why the firm has been trying to change the term to Work/Life fit. If your life is more than your work at Deloitte, Deloitte is not a good fit for you. When starting at Deloitte, please remove all your facebook friends, breakup with your boyfriend/girlfriend, and delete all personal contacts from your phone. Deloitte is your life now.
    Promotions - You will not be promoted any faster than Deloitte's schedule.
    Work - Take your time finishing your work. If you finish all your work fast and ahead of schedule, you will just be assigned someone else's work; and it will also burn you out in the process.
    Management - The firm has been promoting alot of workaholics recently. If you are not abiding by their schedule, they will look down on you and think you are not trying hard enough. Many of these workaholics don't know what to do with themselves if they have only been working 40 hours a week. Many of these workaholics are in bad marriages, and prefer to be at work than spending time at home with their 'so called' loved ones. Therefore they often will search for more work to do and generally will try to find additional work for the engagement. These workaholics consider 'light' work weeks 40 hours, and often say that they don't know what to do with themselves if they are not working more hours.
    Raises - The 15-20% raises they told you to expect each year in school was a complete lie. You can generally expect a 2/3% raise each year, unless it is a promotion year, in which you can expect 5-13%.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting workaholics - it is ruiining your culture.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!