Deloitte

Deloitte Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Deloitte CEO Joe Echevarria

Joe Echevarria

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 425 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1093 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 221 reviews)

More Highlights
447 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Deloitte is a great company to work for!

Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat company to grow and accelerate your career at. They offer competitive salary as well. Deloitte has a great promotion structure. You will get promoted every two-three years as long as you do what's required. Heavy emphasis on training and it's mandatory for all employees to attend Deloitte University in Texas.

ConsYou have to be willing to work 45-50 hours minimum. Most Consultants work well over 50 hours. Additionally, you are required to put in anywhere from 150-200 hours in to firm contributions (outside of client related work).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from the firm contribution!!! This should be an optional thing just like it is with other Consulting firms.

Great experiences with a hit to work/life

Senior Consultant (Federal) (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsAt Deloitte you are surrounded by really smart people at all levels. There are a ton of training opportunities; it is clear the firm invests in its practitioners. Client projects are challenging in a good way, and if you play your cards right you can network your way over to the specific type of project you want to work on. There are also many opportunities to build small communities in this very large firm, including communities of practice in which you can develop skills to apply later on in a client situation. If you're bored here, you're doing something wrong.

Also, the firm has amazing benefits, and I think fair compensation for the junior levels.

ConsThere are so many opportunities that you really need to learn how to say no. The firm will take as much as you give to it, or more. In addition to client work, practitioners are expected to help grow the firm through internal initiatives such as recruiting, business development, developing new solutions/tools/methodologies, etc. These are all really good opportunities, but they are a lot to ask on top of the 40-45 hours (Federal) that we are spending on client work. These opportunities become expectations the higher you get in the firm, and compensation starts to lag.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider requiring senior level sponsorship for each internal initiative, with careful review to make sure it is going to provide a return on practitioners' investment of time.

You grow if you work hard

Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsYou work with very professional people
    great training
    fast growth and promotions if you work hard
    good pay
    5 weeks vacation if you can take it

Conshard to maintain work life balance
    Need to work more than 40hr/ week with no overtime
    Usually you lose your vacation since performance is measure by the utilization hrs.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to work on how to balance the firm activities and enable employees to maintain their work life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with focus on employee training

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTraining - Deloitte has a huge training center in Dallas that most of the new consultants are taken to for a week within their first year.
    Good clients and Strong Federal practice

ConsFlexible work schedule
    Annual increments are not as expected

Great place to start a career

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCan create your own career trajectory
    Many different services in which to specialize
    Good comp

ConsMay be difficult to find a mentor

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to start a career, challenging as you move up

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSolid salary and investment in milestone training programs.

ConsWork-life balance is talked about, but it is up to each individual to find it. The company rejoices in long hours and dedication, but rewards are not based on effort nor necessarily on impact, but on being at the right place at the right time. Networking is critical to success.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the apprenticeship part of the culture from the Partners on down. Make sure that Senior Managers are mentoring Managers - that link in the chain is broken.

Great experience and salary

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat mentorship and leadership programs

ConsNo work life balance and quality of life

Great company with great cultural, amazing ppl.

Specialist Senior (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsLots of training for your own interest, benefits is the best comparing to the other Big Four as I know.

ConsNeed to find the project by your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementSatisfied with the management team.

Great place to work.

ERS Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Fast paced.
    - Best and the brightest to work with.
    - Top end technology and resources like ultrabooks, iPhone 5s.
    - Best tools to make your job easier.
    - Work life Balance (no really, over the the whole year).
    - Compassionate managers.
    - Own your career.

Cons- Pay could be better (but you go up fast).
    - Your entire experience will depend on the project you are assigned.
    - Review process is lengthy and drawn out.
    - Sales! Sales! Sales!
    - During busy season, it's busy.
    - Own your own career, so if you fail, it's on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat i would like to see is: Less focus on what resources fill what need and focus on what the end goal is. Too often resources are just pulled around haphazardly and then they are just set up to fail. If you pull a marketing major in to program algorithms, obviously it's going to fail for both the engagement and the resource.
    Don't bottle people into an industry. Once one industry contracts let the next expansion flourish. All to often good people will leave when they could leverage knowledge in another industry.

What you are doing well: Letting people own their career. Letting people take the initiative to make a difference. Keeping the focus on happy people matter.

Hired Gun

Associate (Current Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsSalary is above average if you have the skillset they need.

ConsOnce the project you were hired for as an Associate (hired gun) is over, there is no job placement assistance or aggressive resource management help to find you another. Their attitude is - your work here is done, thank you and let me show you to the door. If you are inside the company filling a regular company position, it is a show me the money and up or out atmosphere. This company reminds me of "House of Lies" to the tee. It is all about exceeding financials without regard to the welfare of their personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery other consulting company I have worked for had an advocate or senior leadership that found you your next job at the company. Here there is no motivation to retain talent unless you can make them money above the margins.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!