Deloitte

6,938 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,582 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

293 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The awesome staff and client challenges save this review from being one star. Read CONS.

Former Employee - PPD Track Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - PPD Track Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You'll find some of the finest workers at all levels. I met some of the most creative, intelligent, humble, and professional staff, and worked at the absolute highest levels of top tier clients. I worked with a humble senior executive who I'd find drying the countertops in the men's room, just because it needed doing. Great leaders. The work is meaningful, and typically is focused on solving important, expensive, complicated problems. You may even work with "names" that you see in the news. Pretty cool stuff. Weigh that CAREFULLY against the CONS below.

Cons

Along with all the good people, you will encounter some top-notch jerks, spoiled frat boys, and back-stabbiing managers at Deloitte. It's all about the numbers, your metrics, so some will poach staff from other teams, lay blame at subordinates feet, and game the HR/Review process (Google "Rank and Yank") by hiring shills that they will fire later to keep their teams in place. In any given HR review cycle, which is a ridiculously complicated back-room evaluation called "consensus", where a third party presents your case for continued employment to a small group of HR and partners. The goal? Find the 70% that should be kept, the 20% that should be promoted, and the 10% that WILL be fired. Oh, and by the way, that process essentially brings the delivery at the firm to a standstill for the month of May every year. I'll call it out as others have, forget Work/Life Balance. Once you have your forty billable hours, you have about 40 more hours weekly of expected "Firm Contributions" where you must author white papers, proposals, lead training, and lots of other things the the partners are too cheap to pay to have done. So they blackmail the non-PPDs (staff) into doing this stuff that most other firms PAY people to do, by making Firm Contribution impacts a MEASURED part of your evaluation. Keep in mind, this is an $8 Billion firm, which from the CEO on down, REQUIRES people to work for free, beyond their billable client service. To me, that not just unethical, it borders on illegal. Lastly, when the firm is going to let someone go, there is an elaborate system designed to keep former employees from filing for unemployment benefits. First, after consensus, we'd put people on a Performance Improvement Plan. Give them a couple months to try to rectify the shortfall that put them in the "Yank" 10%. Once they haven't rectified it, call them into a meeting where we'd confiscate badge and laptop, explain they are no longer in service at Deloitte, and explain all the "parting gifts"-- which are actually means by which the firm hopes you won't file for unemployment. Staff get some "salary continuation" for some weeks, and continued coverage of insurances, job placement coaching which stresses "take less salary and get employed faster". Again, it's a nice separation package, but the intent isn't benevolent, its purely to keep unemployment claims (and insurance) minimal for the $8billion firm. Please, before you join Deloitte, weigh the pluses and minuses and interview a lot of OTHER firms, and ask tight questions around all you've read here. Deloitte is crazy--like a fox.

Get the other side of your mouth sewn up. You can't preach about Moments That Matter, the success of Deloitte University, and our Commitment to Community while at the same time chopping 10% of your workforce annually, and blackmailing staff to do for free what you (Ethically) must pay for. Training, Proposal Work, Research, White Papers are all things other firms PAY their people to accomplish. Your reputation as a sweatshop is getting to be a millstone around your neck; clients read Glassdoor, and it influences their decisions. Run a Lean Six Sigma Process Improvement project on annual Consensus starting with metrics collection on cumulative hours spent across the firm versus value created offset by billable hours not billed in May. The annual cost of consensus FAR, FAR, FAR outweighs any value to the firm. Adopt an evaluation process not designed by Audit & Enterprise Risk (AERS) bean-counters and worry-warts, but by some of your alleged 'innovators'.

Good reputation, poor execution

Current Employee - Experienced Hire in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Experienced Hire in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart and talented people. Good for recent college graduates with little or no experience. Lots of training available. Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

If your job is your life, then this is the place for you. For those who want to spend uninterrupted time with their families, be active in their communities, or have time for activities unrelated to their employer, do not take a job on anything other than the ASSOCIATE career track. Even then, be careful. I have worked on a number of projects and the management style is uneven. It runs from non-existent to very oppressive. They are always bringing in new people as others get burned out or leave for other reasons. Performance evaluations are constant. This is a large firm, no way around it. To its credit, HR has been trying to give it a smaller feel, but with mixed results thus far.

Respect your employees as human beings, not just "resources" to be drained of ideas and energy. Some of you are good at taking the joy out of working.

Federal Consulting: Excellent People, Sub-Par Culture

Current Employee - Federal Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Federal Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart, engaging people
    Excellent maternity/paternity leave practices
    Opportunity to move to different clients every year or so
    Several career tracks
    Opportunity to expand your breadth of experience if you take the personal initiative to pursue stretch roles and personal development

Cons

Overall Deloitte Consulting, LLP:

- The vacation/PTO system is misleading. You receive 5 weeks but each day of vacation, holiday, or sick time utilized counts against you by negatively impacting your utilization - which is a key metric in your year end performance evaluation and impacts your raise. Work life "fit" is emphasized in speech, but utilization targets are set very high.

- Expectations for contributing to internal initiatives (beyond your client work) can add significant time to your work week

- Company is enormous. The performance evaluation process is so far removed from individual projects that it may not accurately reflect performance.

Federal consulting, specifically:
     - The government will often not take the recommendations needed to create true, positive change. This can make this type of work unfulfilling (this is outside Deloitte's control but is important to know when considering this type of client)
    - Deloitte practitioners execute at a much higher level than federal employees can; however, many roles filled by consultants could be staffed by much less expensive workers and billed at a lower rate.
    - Managers frequently attempt to keep practitioners on projects significantly past the mutually agreed-upon timeframe. The focus is on having a practitioner in the seat, rather than accounting for that practitioner's career development -- and employees who insist on the original timeline are not considered team players.

Provide PTO that doesn't negatively impact utilization.

Too many internal responsibilities

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart, experienced, professional people and a lot of opportunities with a host of different industries and clients.

Cons

The requirements for being promoted engender a zero sum, cutthroat, brown-nosing culture to grab any opportunity to differentiate oneself, many times for useless endeavors simply to show that you one has 'led' an activity. They pay lip service to integrity etc but when it comes down to it people cut corners and leave those who do the right thing to hang out to dry.

Solid first job out of school and got me into the MBA program I wanted to go to.

Former Employee - HRT Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - HRT Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people working there, and for the most part there is a very collaborative culture.
    PTO/benefits package was pretty great (20 days PTO with up to 5 weeks carrying-over).
    Depends on experience, but I was not really forced onto any projects I did not want and I was able to pick what opportunities/engagements I wanted to work on.
    I was able to find several good mentors within the firm that helped me navigate my career and my away around the company.

Cons

They do not treat experienced hires well (especially junior staff). Unless you negotiate well, you will be routinely making anywhere from 10% - 25% less than people at your level (including people with less experience).

The amount of time they expect you to put into internal Practice Development work (not including 40 hours of training) is extremely frustrating, given how many of the efforts bring the firm no value and are literally just reduplicating ongoing efforts or something that has been done by firm practitioners in the past.

You are either all-in on Deloitte or you are not. They force the brand on you at all times.

The Best of the Big Four

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Of the big four consulting firms, Deloitte probably has the best culture, investment in your training, and support your professional growth, and even your work-life balance Benefits and perks are very competitive. I've met a number of people now who are exiting Booz Allen Hamilton for Deloitte. That says something. From a CEO perspective, the company is aggressive in its focus on competing in the marketplace, too.

Cons

The only con is that if yo u want to be a big-time manager or even just manage 5+ people, you may have to wait awhile. Deloitte is an awesome place to start a career, though.

Keep up the great work of treating your employees well!!!

Deloitte has been an intense working environment, but has provided me with tools and training that set me up for success

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Deloitte are:

1) Name recognition - The firm is recognized across the industry as producing top talent
    2) Training - Amazing training opportunities that are free and part of your required work throughout the year (PMP, LSS, ITIL, SCRUM, etc.)
    3) People - The people I work with constantly challenge me and create a unique competitive working environment that forces you to adapt and grow.

Cons

1) The hours can be long and if you are looking for a 9-5 job, Deloitte is not for you
    2) You are constantly competing against your colleagues at year end for ratings and bonuses. As you get higher in the firm, colleagues may stab you in the back to get new business and ensure their own success at your cost

I believe that the firm needs to examine the way they compensate people with clearances. They have finally recognized that compensation is necessary to retain top talent within the National Security Sector, however it still lags behind other firms in the amount awarded.

Is the Juice worth the squeeze?

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

(1) Know what you are getting into. This isn't a marriage...Deloitte wants you because they can sell you and make money off the top (like a traditional staffing firm). They aren't there to baby you or hold your hands (200,000+ employees can't be THAT personal). Since you can't sell yourself and cut out Deloitte, you have to know that you are there for one of the following: $, the "experience", the network, or the name (most likely the name and the $$).
    (2) Use them as much as they use you - take advantage of the travel, the fitness reimbursements, the pay, tuition, maternity/paternity leave, the clients, mediocre training, certifications, and most importantly the network. The next real step after deloitte is to start your own firm, go to industry, join another firm, or undergo a career change.
    (3) The best jobs at deloitte are the innovation team, the visualization studio team, and then staffing team (or internal project). The first two because they are cutting edge firm initiatives that secure tons of client work. The latter because its a high paying position that can be done virtually.
    (4) Managers do the heavy lifting, SCs, Consultants, and analysts have the highest ROI and do busy work, Sr. Managers are there to win work and split time on engagements, PPDs are there for their network and sheep herding. Take advantage of this breakdown!
    (5) This company is a money making machine. If you like tech adoption or system integration (90% of projects)., you can make a killing here and be very happy.

Cons

(1) 95% of the time the projects aren't the least bit interesting. Everyone shooting for partner wants to make a buck on their bread and butter tech implementation. The only way to land a "cool" project is to spearhead the effort of have someone in your network pursuing the engagement. Otherwise, you will be staffed to the first thing that resembles a fit. Again 200,000+ employees - all need to be staffed.
    (2) The rating system is bogus. You get a 1-5 rating for each project. Kiss enough butt you can get a 2. 1 is literally not an option to select on your assessment! If you are on a 1 yr project for a short phase and deserve a 2, and even give yourself a 2, you will get slammed with a 3 since there are other people who will be on the project longer and they will cry if they don't get one of the few (LIMITED) 3's. I've been told in confidence that this was the case on two assignments I was on. Will I try hard on my next project?....
    (3) Its all about who you know. A true networking paradigm/ frat house/ etc. If you want to get promoted or recognized at Year end, this is how you do it.
    (4) Upward feedback is a joke. Want to rate your team/ superiors after each project (like you are evaluated)? Nope! You have wait till the week before your Year End submission to evaluate these guys. Guess what, they will be called upon for your annual evaluation a few weeks later and can surely pick you out of a review (good/bad) if it was done a week prior!
    (5) Commercial travel is the pits! I've traveled 6 days a week for 5 months (cross country) only to work 15 hr days, eat poorly, forget about exercising, and be treated like a lemming by the project leads.

Create an environment where people can explore different service offerings. Have a 360 feedback system available after each engagement (PE). Have bonuses every 6 months to actually "pay for performance". The "bait and switch" routine is getting old: Intersted in Project A...come on aboard, by the way the scope just changed and the work is 2x as long, 1/2 the resources, and has nothing to do with Project A!

Good to gain a lot of experience

Current Employee - Associate 6 in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate 6 in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of business development opportunities. They give bonuses and promotions every year. A lot of opportunity for growth. Plenty of volunteer opportunities. Looks great on resume. Great health benefits. Great parental leave (100% paid maternity and paternity leave). They pay up to $500/year for health and fitness memberships. Opportunity for travel.

Cons

401K matching is practically non-existent. Depending on your level, the work/life balance isn't all that balanced. Although Deloitte gives promotions, it isn't all of that great. They will overwork you if you let them.

Collaborative and rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to work in a variety of industries and for a variety of very smart and driven professionals. Great culture of supporting junior staff growth. Structured teams provided a small company feel.

Cons

Working in consulting means your work can come in waves and sometimes late nights or weekend work is necessary, so flexibility is very important.