Deloitte Reviews

317 reviews filtered by
  • Washington, DC

1. value of diversity and they allow you to take ownership of your work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership and very ethical company. My leaders respect my opinion and allow me to take risks. If I fail, they are there to support me. If I succeed, they are they to celebrate with me.

Cons

In my 12 year career, this is the best place I've work. However you should expect to put in long hours.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Good opp's for advancement

Cons

Long hours, bad clients, travel

Advice to Management

Cut back on the number of hours

3. Utilization targets unreal

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely structured career path(s) in management as well as technical areas.
    Impressive roster of clientele in Federal and Commercial markets.
    Great name overall in the industry

Cons

Highly competitive sales and managed revenue targets.
    Promotions hinge upon disruptive work life balance, If one is willing to put in 80 hours a week and, go ahead and enjoy rewards.

Advice to Management

Reduce utilization targets for senior consultants and managers to focus efforts on training and professional development, please be more generous when sending employees to conferences

The awesome staff and client challenges save this review from being one star. Read CONS.

Former Employee - PPD Track Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - PPD Track Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll find some of the finest workers at all levels. I met some of the most creative, intelligent, humble, and professional staff, and worked at the absolute highest levels of top tier clients. I worked with a humble senior executive who I'd find drying the countertops in the men's room, just because it needed doing. Great leaders. The work is meaningful, and typically is focused on solving important, expensive, complicated problems. You may even work with "names" that you see in the news. Pretty cool stuff. Weigh that CAREFULLY against the CONS below.

Cons

Along with all the good people, you will encounter some top-notch jerks, spoiled frat boys, and back-stabbiing managers at Deloitte. It's all about the numbers, your metrics, so some will poach staff from other teams, lay blame at subordinates feet, and game the HR/Review process (Google "Rank and Yank") by hiring shills that they will fire later to keep their teams in place. In any given HR review cycle, which is a ridiculously complicated back-room evaluation called "consensus", where a third party presents your case for continued employment to a small group of HR and partners. The goal? Find the 70% that should be kept, the 20% that should be promoted, and the 10% that WILL be fired. Oh, and by the way, that process essentially brings the delivery at the firm to a standstill for the month of May every year. I'll call it out as others have, forget Work/Life Balance. Once you have your forty billable hours, you have about 40 more hours weekly of expected "Firm Contributions" where you must author white papers, proposals, lead training, and lots of other things the the partners are too cheap to pay to have done. So they blackmail the non-PPDs (staff) into doing this stuff that most other firms PAY people to do, by making Firm Contribution impacts a MEASURED part of your evaluation. Keep in mind, this is an $8 Billion firm, which from the CEO on down, REQUIRES people to work for free, beyond their billable client service. To me, that not just unethical, it borders on illegal. Lastly, when the firm is going to let someone go, there is an elaborate system designed to keep former employees from filing for unemployment benefits. First, after consensus, we'd put people on a Performance Improvement Plan. Give them a couple months to try to rectify the shortfall that put them in the "Yank" 10%. Once they haven't rectified it, call them into a meeting where we'd confiscate badge and laptop, explain they are no longer in service at Deloitte, and explain all the "parting gifts"-- which are actually means by which the firm hopes you won't file for unemployment. Staff get some "salary continuation" for some weeks, and continued coverage of insurances, job placement coaching which stresses "take less salary and get employed faster". Again, it's a nice separation package, but the intent isn't benevolent, its purely to keep unemployment claims (and insurance) minimal for the $8billion firm. Please, before you join Deloitte, weigh the pluses and minuses and interview a lot of OTHER firms, and ask tight questions around all you've read here. Deloitte is crazy--like a fox.

Advice to Management

Get the other side of your mouth sewn up. You can't preach about Moments That Matter, the success of Deloitte University, and our Commitment to Community while at the same time chopping 10% of your workforce annually, and blackmailing staff to do for free what you (Ethically) must pay for. Training, Proposal Work, Research, White Papers are all things other firms PAY their people to accomplish. Your reputation as a sweatshop is getting to be a millstone around your neck; clients read Glassdoor, and it influences their decisions. Run a Lean Six Sigma Process Improvement project on annual Consensus starting with metrics collection on cumulative hours spent across the firm versus value created offset by billable hours not billed in May. The annual cost of consensus FAR, FAR, FAR outweighs any value to the firm. Adopt an evaluation process not designed by Audit & Enterprise Risk (AERS) bean-counters and worry-warts, but by some of your alleged 'innovators'.

6. Strategy & Operations Consultant

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and group of people. Mentoring is highly valued

Cons

Difficult to work your way up if hired as an Analyst. The evaluation system is redundant and somewhat ineffective. You have to be involved in firm activities on top of your client work in order to do well at the firm. Lack of good manager.

It was great

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - you can find mentor

Cons

hours - long hour, hang out with co-worker for more than 10 hours a day or worse

Advice to Management

To keep people please don't just focus on getting new client - the analysis needs to be a cost/benefit analysis instead of just revenue analysis.

Deloitte Consulting - expect a lot from analysts. Say goodbye to your life.

Current Employee - Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm in the consulting practice, and they offer great training - I don't plan on staying at Deloitte more than 2 years, but I know that the skills I take with me elsewhere will be valuable. All the Excel, Powerpoint, Tableau, public speaking skills, consulting skills, data analytics, etc. training opportunities that you could ever dream of.

Cons

They offer decent benefits, and tell you that you can take a lot of PTO - but what they don't tell you is that your utilization is based off of you working 40 hours every single week, 8 hours a day, 52 weeks a year - so in order to take any kind of vacation, you're expected to make up those hours. And when they send you to Texas for training for 2 weeks, you're also expected to make up those 80 hours on top of your 40 hour weeks. Also, there are not a lot of women in upper management - it's unfortunately a lot of older white guys. They have a lot of problems with retaining women at this firm once you get past a manager level.

You're also expected to engage in "extracurriculars" on TOP of these 40 hours a week - such as writing white papers, working on a proposal, doing random things to make partners look good, which can be extremely draining.

So not the best work life balance. I usually work 9-11 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Utilization should include vacation. Better focus on a work-life balance. Better compensation.

9. Good reputation, poor execution

Current Employee - Experienced Hire in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Experienced Hire in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart and talented people. Good for recent college graduates with little or no experience. Lots of training available. Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

If your job is your life, then this is the place for you. For those who want to spend uninterrupted time with their families, be active in their communities, or have time for activities unrelated to their employer, do not take a job on anything other than the ASSOCIATE career track. Even then, be careful. I have worked on a number of projects and the management style is uneven. It runs from non-existent to very oppressive. They are always bringing in new people as others get burned out or leave for other reasons. Performance evaluations are constant. This is a large firm, no way around it. To its credit, HR has been trying to give it a smaller feel, but with mixed results thus far.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees as human beings, not just "resources" to be drained of ideas and energy. Some of you are good at taking the joy out of working.

Federal Consulting: Excellent People, Sub-Par Culture

Current Employee - Federal Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Federal Human Capital Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, engaging people
    Excellent maternity/paternity leave practices
    Opportunity to move to different clients every year or so
    Several career tracks
    Opportunity to expand your breadth of experience if you take the personal initiative to pursue stretch roles and personal development

Cons

Overall Deloitte Consulting, LLP:

- The vacation/PTO system is misleading. You receive 5 weeks but each day of vacation, holiday, or sick time utilized counts against you by negatively impacting your utilization - which is a key metric in your year end performance evaluation and impacts your raise. Work life "fit" is emphasized in speech, but utilization targets are set very high.

- Expectations for contributing to internal initiatives (beyond your client work) can add significant time to your work week

- Company is enormous. The performance evaluation process is so far removed from individual projects that it may not accurately reflect performance.

Federal consulting, specifically:
     - The government will often not take the recommendations needed to create true, positive change. This can make this type of work unfulfilling (this is outside Deloitte's control but is important to know when considering this type of client)
    - Deloitte practitioners execute at a much higher level than federal employees can; however, many roles filled by consultants could be staffed by much less expensive workers and billed at a lower rate.
    - Managers frequently attempt to keep practitioners on projects significantly past the mutually agreed-upon timeframe. The focus is on having a practitioner in the seat, rather than accounting for that practitioner's career development -- and employees who insist on the original timeline are not considered team players.

Advice to Management

Provide PTO that doesn't negatively impact utilization.

11. Too many internal responsibilities

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart, experienced, professional people and a lot of opportunities with a host of different industries and clients.

Cons

The requirements for being promoted engender a zero sum, cutthroat, brown-nosing culture to grab any opportunity to differentiate oneself, many times for useless endeavors simply to show that you one has 'led' an activity. They pay lip service to integrity etc but when it comes down to it people cut corners and leave those who do the right thing to hang out to dry.