Delphi

Updated October 31, 2014
3.3

Delphi President, CEO, COO, and Director Rodney O'Neal
Rodney O'Neal

Pros
  • Work life balance , learning depending upon the project you land up (in 35 reviews)

• Very structured and highly organized work environment (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company was pretty unstable during the chapter 11 (in 13 reviews)

• Unlike mobile industry, automotive industry pace is slow (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to get experience

Former Employee - Software Verification Engineer in West Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Software Verification Engineer in West Lafayette, IN

I worked at Delphi as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My university was near a Delphi engineering center, so they put a lab in our research park to allow for electrical or computer engineering students to gain experience. I worked in that lab under a more senior engineer on a project. I gained a lot of experience with how projects flow in the automotive world. It also functioned as a sort of internship in the summer, which took a lot of stress off, as I was able to just stay in the same apartment and not have to worry about moving around the country for internships. The pay was also pretty good for a part time job, though a little lower than an internship opportunity would have been.

Cons

The only issue I can think of is that because the lab I worked in was separate from the lab that the full time employees worked in, there could be a bit of a disconnect. But other than that everything was great.

Good Place to Work as long as you know how to deal with people

I have been working at Delphi full-time

Pros

Great team with innovative thinking

Cons

Excessive travel that wreaks havoc on personal life

Provide performance based bonus

Went through a painful stretch, but last 2-3 years have been trending upwards.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Delphi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting technology, recent bonuses have been generous, recent domestic hiring, stock done well, Engineers that stuck it out through the worst times are some of the best in the industry

Cons

Chapter 11 left some scars, management focus on cash flow have paid off in bonuses, stock, and investor confidence, but creates challenges in engineering. Detroit presents challenge to find mature talent and attract young potential talent.

Find a way to protect investment in employees and growth from the need to satisfy investors.

Loved my job at Delphi Treasury

Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Troy, MI

I have been working at Delphi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team to work with. People are very smart and professional, and they treat me like family! The team is fairly small so there isn't much hierarchy. I got the freedom to solve problems my way and recommend them to the executive level and have my strategies implemented. And the pay was great! The job itself was also challenging and fun! Loved my job there! No complain!

Cons

For the groups with a lot more people, things start to slow down, and you start becoming one of the "heads" just to get your job done everyday.

The current position is not challenging

I have been working at Delphi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I don't see any pros

Cons

Choas management..loack of team work..lack of professionalism

Effective Communication!

meh..

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at Delphi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good people, they don't fire people easily

Cons

bad management in some product lines, high overhead cost

Life abroad a sinking Titanic

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Delphi full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company has huge potential with a huge diverse portfolio. It's global, therefore engineering can work in one time zone, and immediate scaling or production could occur continuously...but the system is flawed as communication is there lacking within all divisions. (Lots of reworks)
    Initially many decades ago, it was a great organization under GM, with a nice sweet compensation package. That all ended in 1999, when Delphi spun off...a small leak in a lovely ship, then a few hits into boulders (chapter11, emergence form, to be owned by those Delphi was in debt to).
    Heard recently that the organization is really working hard to get gen Ys in, enough to have initial pay will be at or more than market. (Historically, salary then is stagnant, and benefits are dwindling.)

Cons

Like most large companies, it's purely financially driven with short term realizations, and no commitment to in house capital improvement projects (blgs. were once state of the art, in its times like 1960s or 80s and has barely shown much change/technological improvements) or it's dedicated staffs of seniority of 15+ years. Matter of fact there is a large gap in age demographics due to the collapse of the pension programs; older staff linger much longer hanging on to status quo ( oh just awaiting the moment of when their "time" will come), and the younger generation either have jumped ship, or just novices trying to use Delphi as a stepping stone to bounce off of.

There also is barely a HR organization, and with many managers left into their current position due to others that left via attrition(or outright laid off), there is in very rare cases career development (none locally, but maybe there is hope within other Delphi organizations). No support for training.

Poor work-life balance without being penalized.

Delphi is continually under reorganization mode, and recently has seen a large exponential growth in V.P.s , making it a very top heavy organization.

Impossible to change their perspectives...they are equally like robots, "do" as dictated; oh unless they overpay a consultant to tell them exactly what their staff has been telling all along.

Finance Intern

I worked at Delphi

Pros

Great work environment. Salary was good and the internship program is top of the line. Great exposure to senior level management

Cons

The company is a little unorganized from business unit to business unit. Overall, there are not many negatives about the company

Delphi is a shell of its old self

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer

I have been working at Delphi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great. The products are technically challenging. The potential for world class products (like in the past) is still present.

Cons

The management and work level is really bad. There is a month to month mentality with respect to budgets and this negatively impacts staffing, material purchases, equipment purchases, etc. If the revenue/income is bad for this month, cut some heads, delay some material purchases. How this impacts the next month, quarter, or development program is not considered.

Staff and spend money based on multi-year development cycles of products. If we expect to make money in 2017 for products developed in 2015, spend it in 2015. Do not wait until 2017 or it will be too late.

Employment @ Delphi

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Delphi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall great career with great people to work with. Great travel opportunities with personal development as a plus.

Cons

Loss of focus on institutional excellence, under utilization of engineering resources, detached management to name a few.

Need to take a strong look at your upper & middle management for their real commitment to the organizational long term viability.