Delphix

Great Company, Brilliant Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Delphix is an excellent, fast growing company. I particularly enjoy the quality of the employees here - the technical staff is the best I've worked with in my career and the access to senior management is unfettered. Having a San Francisco office in addition to the headquarters in Menlo Park is a major life improvement for those who live in the city.

Cons

It's not as *fun* of a company as other places, but people are mostly focused on building a great, standalone company.

Find a better way to move employees between offices or better embrace working remotely.

Strong kool-aid action going on here

I worked at Delphix full-time

Pros

Half of the engineer team are very good. The technology is awesome. Impressive list of customers. CEO is very good speaker and can be very persuasive.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. For a startup, there's already politics. Even though on the surface, they talk about an open culture, what they mean is that information flows upwards, but they don't really tell you what's really going on and some people remain clueless and think it's an open culture. Very stingy in spending - possibly related to dwindling sales numbers.

Horrible politics poor sales culture

I have been working at Delphix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food and snacks some nice people. Shiny on the outside.

Cons

Unclear sales product strategy, high turnover, layoffs, brutal micro management, no advancement. Don't believe the good reviews written by HR staff members. There is a reason why the bad reviews exist.

Get a clue and get rid of bad managers. Hire competent leadership and focus on correct go to market strategy.

A great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Stellar product and a smart management.

Cons

Sales needs to ramp up, actively being pursued.

Need to get away from Sun centric from all aspects of business.

Perfect for new grads

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Joined Delphix straight out of school. The breadth of topics I've had a chance to work on, the ownership of those projects I've been given, and the level of contribution that even new grads can make is incredible compared to the experiences I hear from friends at other companies. I've learned about a huge range of topics across the stack on-the-job, had great support/mentorship from leaders in those fields while designing and building these projects, and in the end grew personally, professionally, and as an engineer.

Cons

The work is more difficult than most tech companies? Personally consider that a pro, but if you don't actually enjoy applying computer science then delphix might not be a great fit for you.

Engineering Intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delphix as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Very high level of engineering talent compared to a typical valley startup.
    - The problems involved in database virtualization are very interesting and complex.
    - You have a fair bit of say in how you spend your time and what you build.
    - The company is doing well and appears to have a great trajectory with good growth.

Cons

- Review and testing is extensive and the end product has to be deployed manually by clients. If you have a move fast and break stuff attitude towards software development then you will probably have to adjust a bit or not be as happy with this aspect.
    - More limited perks compared to other top tech companies.

- Keep up the good work
    - Increase perks as the company scales.

Great learning experience

I have been working at Delphix

Pros

small and nimble, adolescent company with startup culture and big company ambitions

Cons

None that I can think of

Amazing culture, mentorship, and product

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From an engineering perspective, there are so many interesting problems being solved and there is an unlimited range on what you can do here. Yes it is hard work, but that is the nature of a spectacular product. I have learned so much in just my first few months joining the company. Being a software engineer, it is also a great surprise to see how linked the engineering team is to Sales; we build what sells. Its a disruptive technology with a culture to match. Everyone is supremely intelligent, in both technical and soft-skills, and most importantly everyone is hungry for success. What more could you ask for to reach your full engineering potential. Welcome to the shark tank.

Cons

Its daunting being around people that have accomplished so much, but the trick is to not get flustered by this and instead embrace it. You are not the smartest person in the room anymore, but you will sharpen fast.

Managers do a good job at balancing managerial and engineering work. It keeps everyone on the same page, which I have observed to be a good practice.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People at Delphix are smart, motivated, and genuinely invested in the company. The environment is fast-paced, and communications at all levels are honest and direct. Great social events too (e.g. Scotch Fridays).

Cons

Although the company is growing very fast, it still functions like a start-up. Some of its systems and processes are not optimized.

Beware

Current Employee - N/A in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting a lot of press in tech journals. Couple of high profile deals. Limited competition in a space that could potentially become a new category.

Cons

Unclear product strategy, go-to-market strategy, aggressive work hard/work hard culture, low integrity/honesty, extremely high turnover, especially in sales where it's nearly impossible to be successful

Building a company is about more than just building a product

Delphix Photos