Delphix Reviews

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time for less than a year

Pros

People at Delphix are smart, motivated, and genuinely invested in the company. The environment is fast-paced, and communications at all levels are honest and direct. Great social events too (e.g. Scotch Fridays).

Cons

Although the company is growing very fast, it still functions like a start-up. Some of its systems and processes are not optimized.

Beware

Current Employee - N/A  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting a lot of press in tech journals. Couple of high profile deals. Limited competition in a space that could potentially become a new category.

Cons

Unclear product strategy, go-to-market strategy, aggressive work hard/work hard culture, low integrity/honesty, extremely high turnover, especially in sales where it's nearly impossible to be successful

Building a company is about more than just building a product

Tough to sell

I have been working at Delphix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good engineering, "interesting" culture with a reputed VC firm backing..

Cons

If you are in Sales, be ready for 9 months to 1 year sales cycle; deceptively hard to sell and be prepared for a crazy sales management breathing down your neck.. Its definitely a Glen Gary type sales culture, shark is the logo, so should not be a surprise.. Comp is comparable to big shops although you cannot count on it, management keeps surprising you..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company based on a brilliant idea

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Delphix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The product was built on a great idea. There is no competitors yet. And they have an excellent engineering team with many smart folks.

Cons

Oracle might build a similar product and compete with it. The sales have not reached to a scale to dominate the market.

Check out the culture in the early of Google.

Excellent Team & Excellent Work Environment

Current Employee - Professional Services Architect  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Services Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Delphix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top notch team with excellent teamwork and support.

CEO (Jed) leads the team from front and has a clear cut vision for the company for next few years which is a rarity in today's IT environment.

The Engineering team is very thorough and responds quickly to customer requirement/issues. Same goes for Support and Services team.

The Delphix core product alleviates a genuine business problem and the company is on excellent growth path.

Cons

I am working for this company for almost 6 months now and has yet to come across anything which I think is negative(which speaks for itself !!). My only worry is that company should not loose it's core focus as it expands rapidly.

Keep the focus and keep doing the right things.

Excellent engineers, good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time for less than a year

Pros

The engineering team is uniformly excellent; many of my coworkers invented the technologies the product is built on top of at their previous jobs, so even as a seasoned software developer I'm always learning from my coworkers. Most people are really approachable and friendly, including company leaders and sales personel to the extent that I interact with them. We get updates about management and sales activity pretty frequently, and word of large accomplishments on those fronts spreads around the office quickly. The engineering group is run as a meritocracy. Customer needs (which are mainly communicated through support staff or engineering management) dictates engineering priorities, as it should be. After working at a couple of larger companies, being able to choose and design my own projects and really own them is a big plus. In short, it's a great systems engineering startup experience. Also, our support group is very talented -- each of them could easily be an engineer at any other company.

Cons

Sometimes it can be intimidating to bounce ideas off of the best engineers in the industry. Also, commuting into Menlo Park once a week (I am usually at the SF office) is a pain that I suspect will disappear once the company grows a bit more.

Encourage communication between sales and engineering. I sometimes feel like engineering could to a better job of anticipating the next steps if we knew more about the customers. Also, keep up the high hiring standards!

Excellent engineering culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smartest engineers I've ever worked with.
    - Excellent executive/sales/marketing teams.
    - Meritocracy based culture.
    - Senior management is very open to feedback and constructive criticisms.
    - Cool startup culture (free lunches, untracked PTO, ping pong hall, flexible work hours, etc)

The engineering team at Delphix is top-notch. It includes the smartest group of people I have ever worked with. Some of them include the co-inventors of the ZFS filesystem, DTrace, early engineers from Sun's Fishworks team (which comprised of the top engineers at Sun), etc.

Delphix has a very engineering driven culture; so much so that the managers which lead the different teams at Delphix are themselves great engineers (and great managers).

The company as a whole is doing very well and growing rapidly year by year. Overall, it's an excellent place to work, which is very hard to find elsewhere.

Cons

I can't really think of anything major that I'd consider a con, but one minor thing I'd say is that there are three offices (San Francisco, Menlo Park - HQ, and Boston), so the team is pretty spread out, which makes it hard, sometimes, to collaborate. Although people from SF and Boston come out regularly to HQ, and vice versa.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't lose sight of what makes Delphix an excellent place to work (see above).

Rewarding in career but not in experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Delphix

Pros

Very smart engineers and dedicated team.

Cons

Chaotic management. Too much politics

Do things right and more open communication

Engineering done right

I have been working at Delphix full-time

Pros

An engineering culture founded on the notion that smart engineers with good ideas get stuff done, and that decisions should be based on technical merit and backed by data. This meritocracy translates to a bottoms-up engineering ethos where individuals are encouraged to understand and react to the business needs of the company. Titles and HR structure and not used as a tool to manipulate direction; anyone that articulates good ideas and drives execution has the ability to have huge impact in the company. Product management and HR management are minimalist, engineering processes that matter (e.g. code review) are embraced, while bureaucratic impediments to execution are eschewed.

The engineers themselves are some of the brightest I've ever worked with, and are always willing to help others, whether it means getting source control setup or diving in to help with a customer escalation. The problem space is broad, complex, and growing, full of problems to solve. I need to work somewhere where I am intellectually challenged by my coworkers, in an environment where it is impossible to understand every moving piece in its totality, and I've found both at Delphix.

Cons

The physical environment at HQ doesn't reflect the engineering culture, and standards at any other startup (catered lunches, open space, lounge whiteboard areas, etc) are lacking. This will hopefully change now that the space is more permanent (it had been on a sublease).

Make sure the engineering culture thrives through the growth of the company.

Worked for Delphix? Contribute to the Community!