Delta Air Lines

Updated December 14, 2014
3.9

Delta Air Lines CEO and Director Richard H. Anderson
Richard H. Anderson

Pros
  • The pros of working here are the "perks" the major one being the flight benefits (in 160 reviews)

• Travel benefits are amazing, you can travel the world if you take advantage (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• Flight benefits are moot when there are no seats on over-utilized aircraft (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

246 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Bad management

Former Employee - Writer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Writer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salaries and benefits for employees

Cons

Manager was awful to work with

Don't look for this company to look out for employees

Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Reservation Agent in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The bonuses were great at Delta ,my fiancé envied me because of those. We had a partnership with American Express that earned us prizes and money ($50) for every APPROVED Amex application we got. When you reach a certain tier you could choose from really great prizes like tvs -50 9n. flat screens(top brands, not junk), blueray players, ipods, ipads, $3000 Tiffany giftcards, Macy's giftcards, Rayban sunglasses, 5 piece luggage sets, and island vacations. I won most of the prizes mention except the vacay, ipad and TV's. The best part of the job was the free flights for employees and their families(children, mate, and parents-no siblings unles you gave the a buddypass to use)

Cons

The pay, the ridiculous methods to push Amex, hotel, and rental car transfers. At ! point, "Leads" walked through the call center yelling "Power Hour", 1 even rang a cowbell! I mean what did they want you to do, show up at a passengers door and make them apply for a credit card???Yes!, they even gave out stacks of paper applications for us to help friends and family ruin their credit. There are a lot of people with bad credit trying still trying to keep their heads above water after the recession. The call center was a zoo on the weekends, with everything from people eating meals at their desks while on calls, to even violence. I've seen it with my own eyes and taken pictures of it as well. I knew no one would believe me if I told them! The blizzard in Atlanta a few yrs ago was a nightmare. Since most people couldn't get out of there because of the roads, non-driving Atlantans and transients from other places where they weren't used to snowstorms we spent the night in the call center. No, they don't have showers, no they don't have beds,(what call center does???) YES we slept on chairs pushed together, floors, and I even saw someone on the treadmill sleeping. I was stuck there for 3 days because Atlanta didn't have snowplows or salt trucks! My son was a yr old I think and still nursing. It was rough on all of us. They got a few(yes a FEW) HOTEL ROOMS NEARBY BUT EVERYONE COULDN'T GO OF COURSE Delta's a 24 hr company. Oh and we got unlimited candybars and chips along with 2 meals a day(breakfast sandwiches from McDonald's across the street and pizza at night) I don't eat pork at all so of course I ate popcorn,and candy for those days. Oh and I did get Wafflehouse 1 day, it was across the street also.

The monitoring was and still is unbearable. I have several associates that are still there that have had to go out on "stress leave". I had surgery while working there and had to go out on FMLA for a while because I contracted an illness while healing and still had to call EVERY SINGLE DAY to make sure I didn't lose the job I needed so much. Some of those days I couldn't talk and other days I was so out of it from the meds that my fiancé would take the phone and finish the calls for me. I've been physically assaulted while working there, verbally abused and threatened by passengers on the phones and the whole time I had to try and "smile through my voice" Crazy right? the last couple of years, a lot of great people I know have been fired due to whatever Delta deems "unethical" but physical violence and sex in the building gets a pass. Look, I held all this in for a long time so sorry if I'm rambling but glassdoor asked so I gave. At 1 time they were trying to bring in a union but I guess fear of the unknown prevented enough people from agreeing to it so it didn't happen. I'm from the northern part of the U.S so I know how beneficial a union can be for employees.

Do what you want, why change that now?

My experience at Delta Air Lines was delightful and difficult in regards to leadership diversity.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Delta Air Lines headquarters offices is the employees. You feel like you are a part of the family.

Cons

Some of the challenges that I saw and experienced while working at Delta Air Lines headquarters were very slow to no promotion opportunities and very low pay rates for non-management employees.

Upper management should share some of the purse by increasing pay rates and make an effort to promote the minorities. In observation most regular employees are causation and part time/temporary employees are minority. What's with that?

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a very large global carrier, so you will have minimum connections throughout the world while traveling.

Cons

It is difficult to transition to other positions within the company. Pay structures are based on old culture that is geared towards "promotion from within", which bumps you up 10% in pay or to the minimum of the payscale for that position, whichever is greater. External hires are given higher starting pay that is more commensurate with market pay. Managers are all competing against each other for favor, so there is not a lot of real effort in collaborating. If anything, peers root for you to fail so they appear more competent. Due to extreme downsizing, managers were doing a lot more with a lot less, and post bankruptcy promises that the Leaders that stuck out the pay cuts and got the company through the hard times, would be the Leaders of the company. This didn't happen. A new CEO ushered in a new culture and the merger with NWA just brought new problems to resolve. There is no work-life balance, if you're not putting in 60 hours or more a week, you must be a slacker.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The flight benefits, while a challenge to use sometimes, are wonderful. Flexibility is the key. Overall Delta has a great culture. I've seen the company in bad time and in good time and now is a great time to work for Delta. People are friendly and the company is really investing in their employees now that financially the industry is moving forward. Delta is leading the way.

Cons

Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge

Over 10 years within various roles in marketing communications

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flight benefits! Great culture that celebrates its people.

Cons

Middle management (in an attempt to please upper management as the pressure is on to outperform already high performance) can be very political and cut throat. Organization can be very siloed.

Great Senior Leadership team. Middle management (in an attempt to please upper management as the pressure is on to outperform already high performance) can be very political and cut throat.

Good company overall, great work environment.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flight Benefits
    Good work environment
    Good 401K matching
    Profit Sharing

Cons

Typically less pay than industry standard for engineers
    Flight Benefits can be really difficult to use during certain times of the year and certain places (never know if you will make the flight)
    Extremely anti-union.

None

Overall, it was a good experience. I worked in a small team with an excellent adviser. Flight privileges were awesome.

Former Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I personally worked on a great team and the flight benefits were amazing.

Cons

Its a bit bureaucratic and slow to change anything. They have systematic processes in place that use very old technology. There isn't much time to use flight benefits and they aren't that fun unless your really into tourism or you have friends in far away places.

Winning company trying to do it right

Former Employee - In Flight Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - In Flight Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly I liked the: Benefits, people, opportunity

Cons

Mostly I didn't like: Federal regulation, boring training

It was the best experience of my life. I helped customer plan than vacation all over the world.

Former Employee - Reservations and Specialty Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Reservations and Specialty Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to travel all over the with my family and friends. Learn new country and meet new people from different parts of the world. There benefits are pretty good. We could overtime when offered.

Cons

I didn't experience any difficult with the company. Any change made I complied. Just wish management would listen there employee a little more.