Delta Air Lines

Updated December 14, 2014
3.9

Delta Air Lines CEO and Director Richard H. Anderson
Richard H. Anderson

Pros
  • The pros of working here are the "perks" the major one being the flight benefits (in 160 reviews)

• Travel benefits are amazing, you can travel the world if you take advantage (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• Flight benefits are moot when there are no seats on over-utilized aircraft (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

246 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Alot of benefits....

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you get pay raises every year, as well as an abundance of discounts with other companies. They are always looking to promote from within....You fly free as well as your immediate family(spouse,parents,etc..). easy to pick up overtime if in hub station

Cons

Its hard to transfer to other cites unless its a hub station.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Managing Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the company and the culture, Fair pay, Excellent travel benefits, involved leadership, lots of upward potential.

Cons

It;s the airline industry and it's subject to lot of economic shocks. Good times may turn on a dime.

Keep listening to the employees.

good

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good ppl at delta Air Lines

Cons

its at the airport in Atlanta

Hire more pilots at the airport.

Simply being here daily has been a great learning experience however the Co-op program is not organized or exciting.

Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Co-Op in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineering Co-Op in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and a lot of exposure to clients, suppliers and upper management in TechOps.

Cons

Slow paced environment and roles are very specific and sometimes redundant.

An "ok" company

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Revenue Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Revenue Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Travel privileges - first class upgrades at no cost when available
    - very relaxed working environment on a nice campus setting
    - standard 45 - 50 hr workweek

Cons

- upward mobility is very limited
    - salaries are very low for the comparable job. even within the airline industry, DAL is low paying.

While it is always a good idea to focus on your frontline employees, please do not forget that you have a skilled workforce in HQ.

Not for me

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Delta Airlines had a great culture, they tell you that people never leave and its true

Cons

Terrible for communicating to training, Airport Code test is terrible

Consider removing the Airport Code test

I've been an employee for 20 years.

Current Employee - Frontline Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Frontline Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a financial strong company with a great leadership team that expresses forward thinking and promotional movement from within the company. If you are motivated to transfer, you're opportunities are endless. The airline industry can be incredibly fickle, however Delta has managed to stand out among the competition. I'm so proud to work for Delta.

Cons

Local management often dictates the attitudes amongst the employees. The merger is still not a smooth process that most leaders choose to ignore. Not everyone is on board with Delta policies and expectations and that can bring entire team down.

Great people to work with.

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel Benefits, work culture, and family values

Cons

Hard to advance if you don't know the right people.

Run before it's too late

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel benefits
    Profit sharing
    Great dental and vision
    Holidays can be used as off days
    Small bonuses for meeting performance goals

Cons

The worse health benefits I've ever had
    No schedule flexibility
    They do not encourage seeking your education
    They do not promote on merit
    They lie about your work ethic to keep you stuck in a position
    Always some new unnecessary rule
    Under staffed and overworked
    Should rank No. 1 in pay for the industry as much as they make in profits year after year
    Managers that don't know how to manage

Start giving positions on merit not favoritism. I've personally applied for 63 positions over the time I've worked for Delta. The majority of which since after having transferred to Atlanta. Yet there are people still employed whom you would think were being paid to socialize and sit on their butt and watch others work. They don't even show up to work all the time or on time. I've come to work early 99% of the time and have only called out a total of 4 times over years of employment with the company. Applied for positions that I've held before and get passed over for someone with absolutely no experience in it. The manager have no clue how to manage and will eventually get the company sued for the things that they say that ought not be spoken in a professional setting.

Leaving for upward mobility

Former Employee - Senior Revenue Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Revenue Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance in the corporate office which helped balance having a young child, flight benefits, personal time/vacation time is pretty good, airlines are fun and interesting places to work, they are doing better profitability-wise then the other airlines and are making smart customer/technology/profitability decisions for the future.

Cons

Delta promotes extremely slow and it is too seniority based instead of merit based. If everyone would be on this slow track, it would be one thing, but I am mostly leaving because of their MBA associate program. They give higher pay to MBA associates who come straight out of MBA programs. After a 2 year rotation, these MBA associates are given manager/supervisor roles. I graduated from a MBA program I did part time while working at Delta. I came to Delta with numerous years of previous airline experience including experience working in a supervisory role. After I worked 2 years at Delta and graduated with my MBA, I was not given the same opportunity or pay as the MBA associate program and could not be in a similar program because I was not hired through this MBA program's process. I was told by other employees I would have to leave and come back to receive the same pay as they give external candidates. The MBA associates are favored and given big projects to present to higher level management. Delta does not pay to retain. I felt chased away.

As a working mother, I went to an upper-level woman manager for advice and she advised me that it is ok to stay in the same position in order to be a mom and not to worry about others that were moving up faster than I was. I ended up taking a job offer that had a better upward projection for me. If I had taken her advice, I would still be at an entry level position instead of having a successful career as a working mother.

Additionally, they had a forum for parents where one director told us how she made being a working mother work by having a nanny, something most of their employees could not afford.

I felt that the upper-level management is manipulative. My mentors told me I was high-potential but did not take any actual action to show it or to retain me. They were just trying to string me along and do what was best for them.

Also, their interview process is horrible. I went into an internal interview where they did not know who I was and said they didn't look at my resume before I came. They didn't notify me for months whether I got the job and I found out when it was announced that another coworker got the position in a meeting. I was asked not to talk about my previous airline experience before Delta in an internal interview.

Get rid of the MBA associate program. It is hurting the morale of the other employees. Retain your employees through bonuses, higher pay and upward mobility. They are the ones making the company profitable.