Delta Air Lines

Delta Air Lines Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Delta Air Lines CEO and Director Richard H. Anderson

Richard H. Anderson

Pros:
  • "Flight Benefits- Every employee gets standby travel with discounts on confirmed travel"
    in 110 reviews
  • "Health Insurance, profit sharing, incentives, and flight benefits are great"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "The airline industry isn't what it used to be"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Advancement rate is extremely slow, you will be part time for years before full time is available"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This was a wonderful working experience, my co-workers were dedicated to their jobs.

Senior Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDelta Airlines is a highly motivated travel industry where the customer comes first!

ConsSome of the downsides were working with disconnected passengers who had missed their flights.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is always keep enough staff to work disconnected passengers.

Great place to work

I have been working at Delta Air Lines

ProsTravel Benefits great it you like to see the world for less, work life balance, managers

ConsLack lust pay, hours can be long, boring work, sometimes not challenging.

Scale positions and Headquarter positions will yield the best return for the work you do

Administrative Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to work for, great volunteer opportunities and a culture that really supports the employee. Proud of the company and the business sense of the corporate leaders.

ConsCorporate management is better than local management. Working in customer service wasn't bad--the usual rigors of a customer service job, but decent pay. Working in admin was another story. I took pride in my work, but was subjected to really awful personalities that sustained a toxic work environment. Can be difficult once in a merit role, to move up and onward to something better unless you are willing to relocate to headquarters. Pay in a merit role vs. a scale employee is extremely sub par.

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in accountability of your employees and pay your administrative staff closer to being market competitive. They work hard and see all of the front line employees getting the perks, the overrides and the bonus compensation. Clerical and administrative staff should be moved to a scale, as they don't really compare to the merit positions out of station and in ATL.

Great Company

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company offer lots of benefits. They promote from within!!

ConsNo Vacation days you must swap and sometimes that is difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote RR who have outside experience to management positions. View all their work history and take into consideration for management jobs

The best company I've worked for, and the happiest I've ever been in my career.

IT Engineer (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat senior leadership; Managers who are understanding and flexible around work hours and family situations; Competent co-workers; Great benefits package, including employer-contributions for medical and retirement plus free stand-by travel. This is the first company I have been able to take pride in working for, and am looking forward to working here for a long time.

ConsAdvancement is difficult, but not impossible. There's a need for a hands-on, technical advancement track without going into management. Pay is average, but improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep climbing!

Innovative and fast-paced

Airport Customer Service Ready Reserve (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time for less than a year

ProsConstantly improving, great benefits, big family feeling

ConsSeniority over qualifications, slow HR department, overtly strict

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your applicants and your ready reserves. The lack of support discourages the newcomers and those who love Delta and wish to grow within.

Poor opinion at first, but under Richard Anderson leadership, I've seen great improvements over a short peiord of time.

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time

ProsSenior leadership has improved greatly under Richard Anderson. Flexible work hours and pay has increase to industry standards. Great gyms have been added to improve employees health and reduce health care cost.

ConsRetirement plan has been reduced to only a few options with very little track record, making it a crap shoot on selections.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood leadership is needed in middle management. We stil have poor leadership in the middle ranks.

Great travel if you can get on a plane ! Love working with customer people

Airport Operations (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat travel free or little cost . Interesting people to work with ! Meeting different people from all over the world !

ConsNo flexibility . low pay if your first hire you work the 3am 4am shifts and weekends . After 3 years I now work days but weekends still. You our a number , not a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be flexible Mgrs do not seem to care !

A place to build an interesting career and a company with long-term strategy set for success

Project Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a professional seeking growth: 1) challenging industry where the only constant is change 2) a multi-faceted business ranging from airport operations, marketing, revenue management... to operations control, in-flight service, etc. - a multitude of career opportunities 3) as a rule, very experienced and interesting people of all backgrounds/ ages 4) at the headquarters, opportunities for visibility and a feeling of a flat organization - ability to reach to and hear from the leadership 5) a company that turned itself around and continues to differentiate itself from the competition - CEO and the C-suite are steering the ship in the right direction!

As a human being who wants to have work-life balance: 1) Delta leaders have family values thus long hours at work are an exception not an expectation 2) ATL campus has a new gym, a car wash, health clinic / pharmacy, credit union branch, cafeterias 3) all employees receive profit sharing $$$ when co. makes a profit 4) Delta Perks - an employee site with tons of discounts 5) Free travel and nearly free for family + buddy passes - I can't stress this one enough - it's the jealousy of my friends :) - I am able to come to the airport and go...anywhere...no advance planning required - think of it as a big bonus to an average pay 6) online rewards tool to nominate a fellow employee for a job well done and for that employee to receive recognition and points exchanged for products/services, etc.

ConsThis is a big 80,000+ company - expect divisional miscommunications and some red tape. Not all managers are top talent, and it can take long for other leaders to realize and make organizational changes. It is also easy to feel like a needle in a haystack and question how much difference you really make - when this happens, it may be time to transition to another department - if a door is closed, there will always be a window.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate innovations from within to all employees (and reward them) - employee suggested improvements aren't celebrated enough; Contribute to the scholarship fund - there is not even a $5K scholarship - do you know how much college costs nowadays? :)

Great Company at the top of the industry. This company shares a great culture combined with competitive pay.

Senior Revenue Management Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlight Benefits- Every employee gets standby travel with discounts on confirmed travel
Culture- Your coworkers help each other and support each other
Work/Life Balance

ConsPay- The pay is below what you may be able to make out in the marketplace in another industry
Very Large Company (80,000) employees
Lots of middle-management

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the organization

Worked for Delta Air Lines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Delta Air Lines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Delta Air Lines CEO Richard H. Anderson. All 469 reviews posted anonymously by Delta Air Lines employees.