Delta Air Lines Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.9

Delta Air Lines CEO and Director Richard H. Anderson
Richard H. Anderson

Pros
  • The pros of working here are the "perks" the major one being the flight benefits (in 149 reviews)

• Travel benefits are amazing, you can travel the world if you take advantage (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Flight benefits are moot when there are no seats on over-utilized aircraft (in 20 reviews)

• Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I LOVE MY DELTA FAMILY

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I truly love working for Delta. The open doors policy, flexibility and Company Culture are the best I've seen before.

Cons

Some co-workers want to Unionize Delta and they are never happy with anything the company does. Their negativity is toxic and I don't like working with them. They simply don't belong there.

The Flight Benefits are Second to None

Current Employee - Baggage Handler in Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Baggage Handler in Flushing, NY

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can travel all Delta destinations free minus taxes/landing fees on space available, usually in the First Class cabin. Lots of down time while at work. Many discounts for Delta employees. Overtime is routinely authorized. Profit sharing compensation depending on how well the company performs for the fiscal year. Promotions within are great.

Cons

Seniority dictates your schedule. Many people have been there 30+ years. Office politics pertaining to daily assignments. Some supervisors will micromanage the operation.

flight attendant

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, travel benefits, good insurance and 401K benefits. opportunity to fly international if desired. Professional working environment. Easy jump seat policy to travel when commuting.

Cons

You can't make plans that you can count on during the month due to being on reserve when you start working. It takes a while for pay to be high enough to lie comfortably.

Was a wonderful experience!! Love my Delta family.

Former Employee - Ready Reserve in SeaTac, WA
    Former Employee - Ready Reserve in SeaTac, WA

I worked at Delta Air Lines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Unlimited travel to any Delta destination. This was my favorite although I found it very challenging during summer and holidays.
    -Employees: My other favorite:) I love the energy they bring day in and day out. They are driven and will get the job done. The employees made my experience with Delta worth while. I have met some lifetime friends there. Love them.
    -Early Out: On slow days or nights, a sign up sheet is posted in the break room for those who would like to volunteer to get out early from work.
    -Diversity: Meeting, working and having the pleasure of getting to know people from different backgrounds.
    -Employee Appreciation Day: It happens once or twice a year, but employees are ever so grateful for them.
    -Holidays: If you're scheduled to work on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year away from your family and loved ones, you can count on having your Delta family celebrating with you at work. Ongoing pot luck every holiday.
    -Birthday cake every month: A huge cake is ordered every month for all birthday within that month.

Cons

-Management: Needs major improvement as some Performance Leaders have absolutely no sense of direction and would have to ask other management for help on daily operation issues. This has happened more than necessary. Also management will pick and choose who they want to promote regardless of your hard work.
    -Pay: The pay as a Ready Reserve max out at $11.75 regardless of how many years you've been employed with Delta (I was employed with Delta for 6 years) This is because you max out after 2 years. My fellow co workers who were hired 2 years after me were making the same hourly wage I was making.
    -Lack of hands on training: From time to time, you'll run into a co worker who has been scheduled to meet or work a flight whom has never been trained to drive a jet bridge or even open an aircraft door. I have been asked too many times for favors to swap schedules with a co worker as they have not been fully trained... mind you, my new friend and I are making the same amount of dough.

-Take a minute or two to say "thank you" to your employees on a daily basis.
    -Pass on a smile, it's contagious! I understand your job is frustrating at times, but consider the problems the agents are faced with daily at the counter and gates.
    -If you're a Performance Leader, do your job and LEAD! Make your own decision based on the facts you have at hand.

Company is good,

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I have been working at Delta Air Lines part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k and more, peoples are happy, excelent company

Cons

Veterans, but no all, someone else try to put down every times

Great time overall but limited opportunities to rise up in the corporate structure. regular story of entry level job

I have been working at Delta Air Lines

Pros

main pros were salary, good and flexible managers who know you had other things going on in your life. decent amount of recognition. great office and great holidays

Cons

way too hard to get a promotion, limited opportunities for training, sometimes unclear policies re: holidays and taking time off

Great company but no room to grow

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Premium Sales & Service Rep you have great benefits. Among the best and why most people work for an airline, is free flights. Yes, FREE flights. You get raises 6 months then annually at the start. If you are among the top sales you get invited to Summit, an annual trip for all Call Center Reps including Cincinnati, Atlanta, SLC & Tampa. The annual bonus is always great too, usually around $1,000. The training programs is great as well. Selling Delta American Express Credit cards is also a good way to earn extra cash ($50-$100 per approval) and earn yourself some skymiles.

Cons

The pressures and stress with this job on most days is not worth it the pay unfortunately. There is a lot of micro-management by leads (sales, call-handling, post call survey, vendors, credit cards). You're required to know a great wealth of information and policies which seems to always be changing. The hours and days off go by seniority and there have been people there for over 35 years. The customers sometimes take it out on us when they have a stressful time flying and that can get old call after call.

The benefits are great with the company. Delta treats their employees like gold. They are the voice of the company and Delta knows that. Unfortunately, if you have a college degree they don't take that into account or count that as any experience. Who you know and how long you've been with the company will always matter more. After being turned away from several positions while trying to grow with the company I decided to call it quits.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The flight benefits, while a challenge to use sometimes, are wonderful. Flexibility is the key. Overall Delta has a great culture. I've seen the company in bad time and in good time and now is a great time to work for Delta. People are friendly and the company is really investing in their employees now that financially the industry is moving forward. Delta is leading the way.

Cons

Work-life balance in Finance can be a challenge

My experience at Delta Air Lines was delightful and difficult in regards to leadership diversity.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delta Air Lines as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Delta Air Lines headquarters offices is the employees. You feel like you are a part of the family.

Cons

Some of the challenges that I saw and experienced while working at Delta Air Lines headquarters were very slow to no promotion opportunities and very low pay rates for non-management employees.

Upper management should share some of the purse by increasing pay rates and make an effort to promote the minorities. In observation most regular employees are causation and part time/temporary employees are minority. What's with that?

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Delta Air Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a very large global carrier, so you will have minimum connections throughout the world while traveling.

Cons

It is difficult to transition to other positions within the company. Pay structures are based on old culture that is geared towards "promotion from within", which bumps you up 10% in pay or to the minimum of the payscale for that position, whichever is greater. External hires are given higher starting pay that is more commensurate with market pay. Managers are all competing against each other for favor, so there is not a lot of real effort in collaborating. If anything, peers root for you to fail so they appear more competent. Due to extreme downsizing, managers were doing a lot more with a lot less, and post bankruptcy promises that the Leaders that stuck out the pay cuts and got the company through the hard times, would be the Leaders of the company. This didn't happen. A new CEO ushered in a new culture and the merger with NWA just brought new problems to resolve. There is no work-life balance, if you're not putting in 60 hours or more a week, you must be a slacker.