Deltek Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Venture capitalists and profit motive destroyed culture

Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Deltek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting challenging work, good products.b

Cons

Constantly changing goals, continuous changes to compensation that are uncontrollable by you., Bonus targets are raised and based solely on billability then useless initiaitives are piled on top of you and expected to be done on top of your billable load and travel, or you are not scheduled to be billable and you very rarely would get any credit towards bonus goals. Travel system filters out many of the flights you would want to take as that is when people traveling for a weeks work want to fly -making you fly out early, return late and take connecting flight that often get you stuck or cause chaos and long long travel, which makes no sense for a billable person as it is a pass through. The need separate rules for billable travel byt road warriors. I understand a normal employee traveling for company has more flexibility and doesn't travel every week and can travel on company time and Deltek pays for their travel. Consultants travel on their own time and clients reimburse, so this is a problem. Hotels that are selected by travel system are out of policy if not the one they have a special deal and when it looks at which ones to direct you to, major metropolitan areas with big traffic may end up having a 45 minute drive to the client as it looks like only 15 miles is close, but it could be very long and takes more time out of your life. Lastly, the last 8 years or so after sale of the company to venture captalists yielded very short term decision making and corporate culture changes that are continuous. There is a cycle to push whatever work they can to the Phillipines office and lay off people here. Most people get laid off after their salaries start getting much above the mean average a new one could be hired for, so little long term future and stability here, you have to worry about job security constantly, especially when numbers slump.

Advice to Management

Look back to the teamwork the company exemplified in it's early days, and build on the great products this company has. Convince vulture capitalists that long term profitability should be the goal and stop plundering your employees.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at Deltek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home sometimes and the office is nice. The people are not very kind and do not work in collaboration. It looks nice from the outside.

Cons

Horrible CEO, CFO, and leadership team. PrIivately owned by group that knows nothing about running a software company and sole focus is on profit. Many lay offs that employees were not aware of. Great talent was fired and quit due to the "new" Deltek. Spent a year changing HR values, then new CEO decides he may change thrm again. It takes several years for new values to resonate so it was a waste of time and money. Head of HE promoted from within twice in one year with internal HR employees that are not qualified for new role, causing more people to quit. CEO tasked Exec team to encourage employees to wrote positive reviews to change the real negative opinion on Glassdoor. This questions the integrity of the entire leadership team of the company that they need to falsify posts for positive public relations. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

Run the company like you used to. Get some guts and stop being "yes" men to the owners.

Director Channel Sales & Alliances

I worked at Deltek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid executive team, solutions add value and great people to work with.

Cons

Limited market and career growth.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in people, technologies and solutions.

Good Company Flexible Work

Current Employee - Operations in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Operations in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Deltek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual Dress, Flexible work, I agree that taking on new projects is at your discretion. IT department is good.

Cons

Good luck getting a promotion, most higher positions are filled with outside hires. There have been many layoffs and communication from top down could be better. Getting a contract through the legal department is painful and takes forever- they need to hire more legal reps or change the process.

Advice to Management

More communication. Better talent management, invest in your employees.

Great Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Deltek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and fun work environment. They had special events for their employees often. They allow telework and managers are flexible.

Cons

The acquisitions that took place between 2010 and 2012 disrupted the organization and made employees feel as though they did not have job security.

7. No what it used to be.........

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Deltek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment amongst colleagues, industry leading solutions.

Cons

Compensation is down right awful compared to the rest of the industry. Work-life balance, haha - that's a joke and definitely not consistent across the organization.

Advice to Management

Revamp the comp plan before before it's too late and get on one page for Work-life balance.

Excitement followed by disappointment

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Deltek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice offices, some nice employee morale themed efforts, some good people at the mid-level

Cons

Deltek has gone from great to really quite sad. Many layoffs, many re-orgs, lots of favoritism, no vision, no direction.

Advice to Management

Bring in an outside firm to help with one final re-org. Really take a step back - it all used to work. Get back to that place.

Sadly Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Deltek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office building. Many good people working hard in the middle.

Cons

When I arrived at Deltek - I was fairly certain Deltek would be my last employer, and I would retire at Deltek. Over the past 5+ years - the company has gone downhill significantly. There is no opportunity for growth despite on-going promises. There is a high degree of favoritism and unequal treatment. Work-Life balance is non-existent. I work every weekend, every evening, and every vacation with no recognition. VP level management behave like pendulums, and you are often left guessing which way the tides will be rolling on any given day. Unclear how we are still in business. Many concerns over the long-term prospects. Budgeting is very strange. There is no money for sales generating activities - yet there is money for random high value expenditures.

Advice to Management

There was some great things happening here when I joined. Take a step back and look at past successes. Get to know the mid-level employee. Listen to them - hear them.

When you are ready for a challenging and rewarding career move.. Deltek is the place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Deltek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deltek is awash with Type A personalities. Work is done quickly, efficiently and pragmatically. Community among departments is strongly encouraged and offers great insight into areas a single employee may be less familiar with.

Cons

It can be overwhelming to compete with peers in this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to walk the Deltek values.

Deltek bought our company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Deltek full-time

Pros

While I was not retained by Deltek, they were very professional in the manner of the acquisition and treated me very professional and fair.

Cons

I was not retained but the reason was reasonable based upon their business model.

Advice to Management

As you continue acquisitions, continue to resolve employment issues promptly and be fair to employees of acquired companies.

RSS Feed </> Embed