Deluxe Corporation

Deluxe Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram

Lee J. Schram

Pros:
  • "Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The company provides good benefits and pays well for most positions"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The senior leadership team is not equipped to motivate and drive the change needed"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Compensated well for going over sales goals, then a new ceiling is placed that is unobtainable with current lead structure"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Visionary Company preparing for the future

Sales & Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat changing environment! management company continually strives to be in the forefront of the industry and is diversifying vertically. Investing in marketing and other services companies to provide a wide range of solutions and products. Gives back to the community!

ConsNeeds to invest in a management succession plan from within! Top management is not diverse.

Not that great. Current manager

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

ProsWork life balance is ideal. Many ways to get involved in the company. On going training and educational series available to employees. Leaders are seen on the floor.

ConsManagers are not given the opportunity to be autonomous. They are forced to make decisions driven by directors/sr. Leadership. Manage by fear/intimidation. Annual layoffs. Deluxe wants to play like a large organization but they lack the resources, and lack competent leaders. Most leaders at Deluxe would be doing director level work for a small division in a larger organization. It isn't a great place to work, lacking in diversity. Anyone who has ever worked outside of deluxe in the recent past will agree the pay isn't as great as the tenured employees claim it is, hence poor leaders perhaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at managers. If managers aren't given
Autonomy you either have the wrong people in the wrong positions or managers managers aren't doing their job by training and developing. upper management is not as competent as one thinks because micro managing is a sign of insecurity and incompetence.

Company undergoing a transition.

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

ProsDeluxe has been supportive in my individual development in providing learning opportunities.

ConsCompany is struggling to break away from check business and uses smoke and mirrors in showing diversification.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with a road map to promotion.

Autonomous, home office sales position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive cost effective benefits, good salary and home office environment

ConsManagement's major involvement was managing to the spreadsheet. Rarely traveled with reps to understand the skill set, areas to develop and/or the actual business operations and too many 'product/services' in portfolio to be effective in expertise level

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to understand what it takes to sell your product and that way you can develop your sales force and evaluate their skills. Minimize the amount of products services or allow reps to specialize to allow a better level of expertise

A great company in many ways

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFocused on Customer satisfaction, Employee engagement and Shareholder value; the concerns and opinions of employees are addressed

ConsStaffing is sometimes too lean to accomplish goals; too many team meetings and individual coaching sessions are canceled due to heavy workload

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more coordination/consultation among functional areas; too many "silos" and not enough information about what the left hand is doing is effectively shared with the right hand

Transformation?

SAM (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood at recruiting and presenting the company as a resurgent organization. They fooled me.

ConsCheck printing still brings in a lion share of revenue despite what company has the street believing. We all know how printers are doing today. Deluxe uses the surplus model for hiring. Lateral transfers and weeding out the weak. A process for which the "best" never apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a BIG acquisition, that is the only way I see this organization staying relevant.

A miserable culture.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsNone - run away as fast as you can! Deluxe will hire you on a whim that one of their next great products will take off. When it does not because of poor execution you will be out the door.

ConsContinue to churn head count. Recently terminated most every Senior Manager. Many long - term employees have been methodically reduced in head cut. Many of these people were with the company for 10 - 20 years. Few are left.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Board: Remove Lee Schram. He is not an effective leader for the long term and certainly not a good citizen.

Enjoyed the negotiating and vendor management part of my job.

Print and Component Manager (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo one standing over my shoulder to get work done.

ConsSometimes unrealistic expectations in timelines to accomplish goals and not enough communication. Also they were not always truthful about plans for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and communicate with employees. We are adult professions and if there are negative things happening or forecasted in the company, share with employee and let employee decide if they should stay or leave.

This old company is trying to figure out how to stay alive, but they don't know what they're doing.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with. They attempt to make it a fun environment, but it doesn't always work.

ConsThe pressure of sales is enormous. Micro management that dictates everything once you start your day. They require the sales team to offer so many products on calls that the customers are getting fed up. High pressure to sell web sites while their own web site has issues. Assumptive sales approaches and add ones are turning off the once loyal customers. Brand loyalty doesn't exist anymore. The incentive plans change so often it seems that management doesn't really know what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales staff. Determine what you're good at and stay with it. Customers don't want to be sold stuff they can get elsewhere for a fraction of the inflated prices we charge.

Do Not Take A Job at Deluxe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people. Benefits are good. PTO is fair and competitive. Descent office space. Check product is truly better than competitor.

ConsWeakest senior leadership I've ever experienced. Hot headed CEO who has zero self awareness. All other senior leaders are weak and all they do is focus on keeping hot head at bay. Deluxe will never make it with current CEO. Annual layoffs to make numbers look better. Can't cost cut your way into growth. Very unethical and zero values.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with yourself, employees, customers and shareholders.

Worked for Deluxe Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deluxe Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram. All 143 reviews posted anonymously by Deluxe Corporation employees.