Deluxe Corporation

Deluxe Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram

Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year(in 12 reviews)

• The company provides good benefits and pays well for most positions(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensated well for going over sales goals, then a new ceiling is placed that is unobtainable with current lead structure(in 5 reviews)

• The senior leadership team is not equipped to motivate and drive the change needed(in 5 reviews)

A large company with the typical pros and cons that come with it. Generally positive trajectory.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work, very professional. Things change, which is good. Successes are highlighted and rewarded. Great compensation packages and generous PTO. Decent on campus cafeterias.

ConsLots of acquisitions and disparate verticals make cross department collaboration harder. Regulatory / security issues reduce IT efficiency. I found it difficult to find mentors mainly because folks were too busy.

I'm a believer...good things to come.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsStrong core of people who understand how the markets have changed, and how technology plays a central role in attaining and retaining customers.

ConsIt's an OLD company. Though the technology "strong core" is there, they spend much of their time selling and evangelizing processes and methodologies considered best practices every where else, costing time and resources reinventing the wheel.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue embracing change and listening to your people.

All Politics and non-I.T. people lording over I.T. people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are taking the correct strategy by switching to a technology company, but sabotage it by letting incompetent I.T. and non-I.T. people rule.

ConsNo one is accountable. Doing the simplest thing requires hours of meetings and politics. VERY hierarchical. If you are below someone they will exert their influence. The illusion of performance is more important than performance, so if you are an expert in I.T. making great progress you will be shot down and micro-managed (since usually short-term sacrifices are required for mid to long-term gains).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have NO CLUE about technology. Fire incompetents and political saboteurs, hire competent IT people, then get the F out of the way and let them do their job. Ensure no one who isn't born and bred into successful technology has a position of power over those who do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Call Center Rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay for a call center. Chance to self promote by your stats on top of monthly bonuses. Great benefits package ,wonderful 401k matching. Incredible time off options/flexability. Supportive direct manager. Lots of charity drive and fundraisers for the community.

ConsConstant changes in scripts and procedure. Not a lot of chance to move within the company. High turn over, so if your not a natural born, high pressure sales person, its recognized right away and not much done to keep you.

An Office Full of Bullies

ProsI really enjoy my actual job duties. Promotion potential is there. I get money back from the wellness program for going to the doctor which is nice.

ConsThe recruiter/my manager oversold the company culture. Even their video with employees saying they work there because of the people feels like a lie now. The people I have to work with have ugly personalities and don't live up to the "shared values". You ask for help/clarification/guidance and managers treat you like it's your fault you don't understand something and use it against you. Even going to HR doesn't help because managers will just say what they know HR wants to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting all the companies' eggs in the financial basket. People are more than just ways to hit your numbers.

Visionary Company preparing for the future

Sales & Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat changing environment! management company continually strives to be in the forefront of the industry and is diversifying vertically. Investing in marketing and other services companies to provide a wide range of solutions and products. Gives back to the community!

ConsNeeds to invest in a management succession plan from within! Top management is not diverse.

Not that great. Current manager

ProsWork life balance is ideal. Many ways to get involved in the company. On going training and educational series available to employees. Leaders are seen on the floor.

ConsManagers are not given the opportunity to be autonomous. They are forced to make decisions driven by directors/sr. Leadership. Manage by fear/intimidation. Annual layoffs. Deluxe wants to play like a large organization but they lack the resources, and lack competent leaders. Most leaders at Deluxe would be doing director level work for a small division in a larger organization. It isn't a great place to work, lacking in diversity. Anyone who has ever worked outside of deluxe in the recent past will agree the pay isn't as great as the tenured employees claim it is, hence poor leaders perhaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at managers. If managers aren't given
    Autonomy you either have the wrong people in the wrong positions or managers managers aren't doing their job by training and developing. upper management is not as competent as one thinks because micro managing is a sign of insecurity and incompetence.

Company undergoing a transition.

ProsDeluxe has been supportive in my individual development in providing learning opportunities.

ConsCompany is struggling to break away from check business and uses smoke and mirrors in showing diversification.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with a road map to promotion.

Autonomous, home office sales position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive cost effective benefits, good salary and home office environment

ConsManagement's major involvement was managing to the spreadsheet. Rarely traveled with reps to understand the skill set, areas to develop and/or the actual business operations and too many 'product/services' in portfolio to be effective in expertise level

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to understand what it takes to sell your product and that way you can develop your sales force and evaluate their skills. Minimize the amount of products services or allow reps to specialize to allow a better level of expertise

A great company in many ways

Supervisor (Former Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsFocused on Customer satisfaction, Employee engagement and Shareholder value; the concerns and opinions of employees are addressed

ConsStaffing is sometimes too lean to accomplish goals; too many team meetings and individual coaching sessions are canceled due to heavy workload

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more coordination/consultation among functional areas; too many "silos" and not enough information about what the left hand is doing is effectively shared with the right hand

Worked for Deluxe Corporation? Contribute to the Community!