Deluxe Corporation

Updated September 29, 2014
2.9

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year (in 12 reviews)

• They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Little diversity in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate from people that are fired, quit or just never show up again (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job overall.

Current Employee - Technical Support  in  Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

Supervisors care about you instead of being just a number. 3 weeks of vacation, benefits from the start.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed which can be very stressful.

More promotions

Marketing Intern - Boring First Internship

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good way to get my foot in the door and to get some experience. Learned how to use excel.

Cons

Really boring work environment. Isolated the entire time. Nobody really seems excited. Printing industry is dying but they are expanding into new markets, not sure how well it will go.

Customer service representative with a very scripted dialogue, no ethic based co

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Groton, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Groton, MA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close to home, great co-workers , great benefits, options to volunteer

Cons

Having to up sell customers without them knowing it, unfair time off system, unfair system of getting hours chosen for you

When hiring representatives advice them off everything that will be included in the job description. I was hired as customer service and doing much more with same pay. Things are constantly added on to job description and training and if your doing more you should be getting paid more

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company in transition, and gaining traction.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Superb culture! Deluxers help each other to succeed, and serve their customers (both internal and external). Good benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Deluxe has become too assumptive about products and services. Tend to push products and services from an "opt out" rather than "opt in" perspective... risking client loyalty.

Spend more time engaging employees and assessing options / impact of products and services from a customer perspective.

Very challenging, stressful, underpaid work for the Direct Checks Unlimited division.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off. Descent shift options and they don't change your shift without options you may select if you choose too change your work schedule. Management consists of professional and caring people who work hard to manage call center teams. Good people who work hard to help each individual phone rep succeed. Good culture of celebrating diversity, pot lucks, motivating customer service reps with respect and guidance. Good training.

Cons

Low starting pay for the expectations. Very difficult to promote for pay raise. Requirements are very challenging to earn monthly bonuses with much restriction on bonus amounts. Majority of phone reps never see a pay grade promotion so they can also increase their bonus amounts.
    Very high turnover rate as this job requires people who can tolerate the discipline , stress and accountability for low pay. Very micro-managed environment with management closely watching a large number of metrics including average talk time, sales revenue, compliance, break times. This position is good for people who like a very strict, rigid, busy, demanding time at work every single day.
    Company mandates overtime to often, not every month, but too often overall. Scripted dialogue with customers. Virtually no flexibility or creativity in performing sales. There is very little opportunity for career advancement as a customer service representative. Positions in other departments rarely open and usually just given to people already in admin or supervisor type positions. Also, labor loan opportunities not posted for interviews like in years past. Managers just secretly offer these to either their "pets" or people they like the best. Management can be blind to some employees potential/ability past the phone rep position. Little incentive for new employees to stay with this company when they realize that hourly pay and potential bonuses too low for this companys high expectations.

First, you need to re-structure the promotion and bonus programs. Second, you should start offering a higher start pay. The customer/sales phone position is much more demanding and difficult than you may realize especially if you have never performed it yourself. Stop misleading your new hires on the potential for promotions/bonuses and the tough expectations. If you don't mind the call center employment being a "revolving door" then you have your reasons for this. Give your call center salespeople something to get excited about !!! Reward the people who work very hard full time $$$ , give them the incentive to reach higher and know they are getting a great commission!! When a realtor closes a sale they get a commission, right.? Try to imagine if a realtor could not collect a commission for their hard work if they had to meet such rigid requirements and metrics as you require of your salespeople. It would be quite ridiculous if a realtor had metrics such as average home tour time, converting 7 or 8 showings to a closed sale or average home sale price over a certain amount. What realtor would have motivation if any if such silly requirements made it impossible to realize the paycheck for their hard work. You can have only the best and pay them very well too. This is a professional sales position, not a hamburger stand. Sorry management, with due respect always, just had to say something of truth long overdue. At least consider things, maybe there can be changes that make sense.

Development & Growth

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Put your best foot forward and the doors will open. Even if they they can't right now, plenty of opportunity to receive kudos and coaching on how to excel in your profession. Opportunities to shift to new roles and advance are available as well.

Cons

Fast-paced. They weren't kidding. Sometimes you look for a lull in the race, but we cover a lot of ground and there is satisfaction in what we get done.

While you promote and advance the top workers, keep in mind those that are solid contributors.

Use to be great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, compensation and the people.

Cons

They used to appreciate employees and gave me a lot of opportunities. Company changed over last few years. Now only for the select few. Do more with less because of constant lay-offs, Worked extremely long hours. No work /life balance. No appreciation for good employees.

Long hours, no work/life balance and even with great work you could not get a promotion. I am guessing because it was not in the budget. With constant lay-offs it leaves others with even more work when employees are already maxed out. Be careful, with the job market opening up you may find yourself loosing good employees and the expense of training new ones in.

Overall experience has been great!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Deluxe is in the midst of transformation, and its an exciting time to be part of the organization. It feels like a start-up in that its entreprenurial, fast paced and innovative. I really enjoy working in this type of culture/environment. I also really enjoy the people I work with here at Deluxe.

Cons

Working remotely can be challenging at times, but Deluxe has some great tools in place to ensure that we are able to stay connected with our team/colleagues.

Kudo's to our leadership team for investing in resources that promote our professional development and growth.

Poor Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Desktop Engineering  in  Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Desktop Engineering in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The salary for my position was great, as were the benefits.

Cons

I was expected to work a minimum of 55 hours per week, never leave my work post unless I was bringing lunch back, and could never leave the premises to eat lunch with my manager's manager as he would often take 1 1/2 hrs for lunch. After working 60 hours per week, a 1 1/2 hour lunch once a month seems perfectly acceptable!!
    The manager was a micro manager and did NOT know how to manage people on a team.

Start over.

Overhaul Human Resources

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefit package is above average and there are many people in the organization to consult when needing recommendations, feedback or advice. Mid-level managers are generally helpful and responsive in a positive way.

Cons

People at director level, especially in HR, are not helpful, in tune with what is going on, or responsive in a positive way. They tend to just skim over the issues. I am not confident they have the right people in those positions and they need to overhaul the department. Too many people have remote managers that do not know what you do on a daily basis and performance reviews and increases are not handled properly or fairly. If you don't know me, how can you rate me?

Get better managers. Ones that know how to solve problems and inspire people. Too much time is spent behind closed doors... get out to where the people work and find out what is going on. Leadership 101. Know your businesses, your people, and your customers. Don't just talk about them behind closed doors!

Deluxe Corporation Photos

Worked for Deluxe Corporation? Contribute to the Community!