Deluxe Corporation Reviews

Reset
2.7
Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year (in 13 reviews)

• They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Little diversity in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Very high turnover rate as this job requires people who can tolerate the discipline , stress and accountability for low pay (in 5 reviews)

1. Lead Generation Specialist

Former Employee - Lead Generation Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Generation Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people. Company constantly tries to improve the lists and tools for employees. Pay was good for start as well as prizes for performance.

Cons

Started out good but pressure to sell increased on employees when management ideas didn't work. The warm market lists were more cold calls than management said it would be. expect to make cold calls.

Advice to Management

be upfront and tell employees you are making mostly cold calls. Continue seeking new lists. Make sure to give employees every chance to succeed

2. Transitioning Company

Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has processes and infrastructure suitable for a company of its size.

Cons

Company has focus on Wall Street. The dwindling cash cow of the check printing business is the real focus of the company. If in high tech, it's not a good place to join. If you aren't in the major P/L, there is no room for growth or success within the company.

Advice to Management

Management appears to understand the street and to manage to their expectations with admirable accuracy and efficiency.

3. Numbers / Behaviors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Love the people. Some of the best friends I've ever had I made working here.

Cons

I have had 5 different managers for the same position (sometimes for better, sometimes for worse). Despite my tenure my opinion seems to not be of value. If I were someone who was leaving the company or deciding to buy product somewhere else, they would pay through the nose for my opinion, but it's seen as unprofessional to offer an opinion without being asked for one.
    Top performers in the call center are those who break the rules, then we model the rest of the call center after their assumptive sales tactics. This company is extremely numbers driven, but doesn't seem to analyze what is causing the numbers. Managers don't care if reps cheat the phone system as long as they make the numbers look good.
    Honesty is one of the company's footholds, but doesn't seem to be genuine. I see a lot of deception from leadership to reps, reps to customers, and any other number of ways you can imagine.

Advice to Management

People should be fired for cheating, even if they're top performers. They set the standard and make the goals impossible to hit without cheating.

Director of Sales

Former Employee - Director in Elk Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Elk Grove, IL

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to gain experience

Cons

Long hours for a limited career

Advice to Management

Cut hours

Major Account manager

Former Employee - Executive Territory Manager in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Territory Manager in Jackson, NJ

I worked at Deluxe Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Concept of bridging all the different business silo's under one solution to a customer base is terrific.

Cons

Not being able to internally mold the different business units together to support the customer base is a real issue. Too many chiefs with their own agenda not looking out for the greater good

Advice to Management

Break down the silo's and invest in IT.

IT Director

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Plenty of work. Talent pool is good.

Cons

Do more with less is killing IT department credibility.

Advice to Management

Cannot continue to cut IT budget by 20% year after year without having things starting to break.
    Invest in the future.

Business is great; Social Team department is a mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are really great. Health, vision, dental, 401(k), etc.

PTO accrual starts immediately upon hire date (at least mine did).

There is an on-site cafe, which makes planning for lunch very convenient with friendly staff.

Cons

I would say there is a relatively high turnover rate, especially regarding those who would truly benefit the department. During my short time here, I've watched good, hard working people with brilliant ideas regarding how to improve processes, etc. get passed up for promotions. I even watched one member of our department get hired on only for there to be no work for him to perform. He left a month or two after he was hired, and they still had no work for him.

Additionally, if you are someone who likes to separate work from personal life, this culture is not for you. They try waaay too hard to force the department to be a "family". As a result, to be independent from the group in any way is social - and therefore, career - suicide, at least in the social media team department. If you don't force yourself to be a gossip or attend a monthly potluck or an after-work happy hour, you'll be subject to dirty looks, petty remarks, certain members of management will purposefully withhold necessary info from you about how to do your job and you will struggle.

Common courtesy and mutual respect are lost causes. At least 40% of the job is being on the phone. I had several times when I was on the phone with a client and I could barely hear what he/she was saying because the social team was too busy laughing or having an extremely loud conversation, which most of the time had nothing to do with work.

**A few more key highlights from my experience:**

Overall communication is a mess. Leadership is clueless regarding how to manage people effectively. Current in-house management could truly benefit from some leadership training courses. Truly.

Disturbingly, necessary info regarding how to do/improve my job function was often intentionally withheld.

The open-concept office leaves the atmosphere wide open for no real privacy in communication. Introverts or those who just value concentration without being interrupted by peoples' loud conversations need not apply.

Bullying and office politics tend to trump good ideas and repel the talent needed to move the department forward.

Passive aggression overwhelms the work environment.

Expect that by your first day, as a group, they will have looked you up on social media and made fun of your pictures; When we hired our first website coordinators, several members of the team stood gathered around one person's computer, laughed and made fun of the way the new hires looked.

Senior in-house leadership left to pursue another opportunity with another company 6 mos. after I came on the team. Four months later, a senior manager still hadn't been hired, with no real promise of even being close to hiring a candidate.

Advice to Management

I would highly recommend an intensive, ongoing leadership program for the in-house management in the Lenexa location.

Living out-of-state from the company you're hiring for makes it incredibly difficult to know/assess someone's capabilities to perform a job well - And I realize a certain amount of it is left up to word-of-mouth. I might encourage that before making any other hiring/promoting decisions, at least plan a trip out to really get to know the people in this office, especially since they are without central, senior leadership in the office.

Culture trickles down, and currently there is a culture of fear and distrust.

9. Annual layoffs

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free parking, medical benefits, free checks. PTO time pretty good. Nice location.

Cons

Annual layoffs. No diversity. Senior leaders are not self aware - lead by fear. Professionalism lacking. Good ol boys club.

Advice to Management

Can't cut your way into growth. Stop annual layoffs.

10. Very interesting overall experience, I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally everyone wanted to get the business up and running.

Cons

a lot of people on the sales side were hired from companies that had a burn and churn mentality.

Advice to Management

make sure the message that you want to portray to the customer starts with the sales teams

11. great; w/ good benefits

Current Employee - Set-up Specialist in Lithia Springs, Douglas, GA
    Current Employee - Set-up Specialist in Lithia Springs, Douglas, GA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

small group; great people to work with and around.

Cons

not enough locations to transfer too.

Advice to Management

quit looking @ things through such a small microscope, sometimes theres a much bigger picture to base decisions on.

RSS Feed </> Embed