Deluxe Corporation Reviews

198 reviews filtered by
2.7
Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year (in 13 reviews)

• They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Little diversity in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate from people that are fired, quit or just never show up again (in 5 reviews)

IT Director

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Plenty of work. Talent pool is good.

Cons

Do more with less is killing IT department credibility.

Advice to Management

Cannot continue to cut IT budget by 20% year after year without having things starting to break.
    Invest in the future.

2. Business is great; Social Team department is a mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are really great. Health, vision, dental, 401(k), etc.

PTO accrual starts immediately upon hire date (at least mine did).

There is an on-site cafe, which makes planning for lunch very convenient with friendly staff.

Cons

I would say there is a relatively high turnover rate, especially regarding those who would truly benefit the department. During my short time here, I've watched good, hard working people with brilliant ideas regarding how to improve processes, etc. get passed up for promotions. I even watched one member of our department get hired on only for there to be no work for him to perform. He left a month or two after he was hired, and they still had no work for him.

Additionally, if you are someone who likes to separate work from personal life, this culture is not for you. They try waaay too hard to force the department to be a "family". As a result, to be independent from the group in any way is social - and therefore, career - suicide, at least in the social media team department. If you don't force yourself to be a gossip or attend a monthly potluck or an after-work happy hour, you'll be subject to dirty looks, petty remarks, certain members of management will purposefully withhold necessary info from you about how to do your job and you will struggle.

Common courtesy and mutual respect are lost causes. At least 40% of the job is being on the phone. I had several times when I was on the phone with a client and I could barely hear what he/she was saying because the social team was too busy laughing or having an extremely loud conversation, which most of the time had nothing to do with work.

**A few more key highlights from my experience:**

Overall communication is a mess. Leadership is clueless regarding how to manage people effectively. Current in-house management could truly benefit from some leadership training courses. Truly.

Disturbingly, necessary info regarding how to do/improve my job function was often intentionally withheld.

The open-concept office leaves the atmosphere wide open for no real privacy in communication. Introverts or those who just value concentration without being interrupted by peoples' loud conversations need not apply.

Bullying and office politics tend to trump good ideas and repel the talent needed to move the department forward.

Passive aggression overwhelms the work environment.

Expect that by your first day, as a group, they will have looked you up on social media and made fun of your pictures; When we hired our first website coordinators, several members of the team stood gathered around one person's computer, laughed and made fun of the way the new hires looked.

Senior in-house leadership left to pursue another opportunity with another company 6 mos. after I came on the team. Four months later, a senior manager still hadn't been hired, with no real promise of even being close to hiring a candidate.

Advice to Management

I would highly recommend an intensive, ongoing leadership program for the in-house management in the Lenexa location.

Living out-of-state from the company you're hiring for makes it incredibly difficult to know/assess someone's capabilities to perform a job well - And I realize a certain amount of it is left up to word-of-mouth. I might encourage that before making any other hiring/promoting decisions, at least plan a trip out to really get to know the people in this office, especially since they are without central, senior leadership in the office.

Culture trickles down, and currently there is a culture of fear and distrust.

3. Annual layoffs

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free parking, medical benefits, free checks. PTO time pretty good. Nice location.

Cons

Annual layoffs. No diversity. Senior leaders are not self aware - lead by fear. Professionalism lacking. Good ol boys club.

Advice to Management

Can't cut your way into growth. Stop annual layoffs.

5. Very interesting overall experience, I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generally everyone wanted to get the business up and running.

Cons

a lot of people on the sales side were hired from companies that had a burn and churn mentality.

Advice to Management

make sure the message that you want to portray to the customer starts with the sales teams

6. great; w/ good benefits

Current Employee - Set-up Specialist in Lithia Springs, Douglas, GA
    Current Employee - Set-up Specialist in Lithia Springs, Douglas, GA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

small group; great people to work with and around.

Cons

not enough locations to transfer too.

Advice to Management

quit looking @ things through such a small microscope, sometimes theres a much bigger picture to base decisions on.

7. Alright, but you need patience and an overabundance of energy 200% of the time.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Employee in Streetsboro, OH
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Employee in Streetsboro, OH

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, managers are really nice, very nice cafeteria, good benefits, paid time off

Cons

Long hours. Extremely loud machine noise is stressful unless hearing protection is worn. Physically demanding, large bare concrete floor area except at immediate work stations. Older machinery has to be constantly fiddled with to meet high production demands. Except for offices, work environment is high stress due to physical discomfort and increasing production demands.

Advice to Management

Making the work environment more comfortable and pleasant will give you a good return on your investment. Improving morale will improve productivity. Don't lose sight of that. If the work environment hurts and is stressful for your employees... make it better! :)

8. Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Concerned about employees. Even with several thousands of employees, company paid once per week! Felt comfortable and not micromanaged or as though job was in jeopardy.

Cons

Promised amenities that were not given to me.

Advice to Management

Listen to the guys that are in the trench, not the bureaucrats.

A company in transition. Unless your brand receives prioritization, hard to get funding and resources to drive.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun to be on the front end of a company transformation

Cons

Leaders are P&L NOW managers. No investment for the future which could hurt in the long run.

Advice to Management

Invest in IT and resources for the future or it will pass you by.

10. Deluxe was a ok company to work with.

Current Employee - , Net Developer in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - , Net Developer in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

I was happy there but growth was limited. Lot of on calls you have to handle if you really want to grow.

Cons

Work from home was misused by the employees.

11. Okay place to work

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Good coworkers. Decent pay. Benefits. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement

Deluxe Corporation Photos