Deluxe Corporation

Updated February 22, 2015
2.6

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year (in 13 reviews)

• They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Little diversity in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate from people that are fired, quit or just never show up again (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Deluxe was a ok company to work with.

Current Employee - , Net Developer in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - , Net Developer in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

I was happy there but growth was limited. Lot of on calls you have to handle if you really want to grow.

Cons

Work from home was misused by the employees.

Okay place to work

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Good coworkers. Decent pay. Benefits. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement

Enjoyed my time but can't recommend now

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, flexibility, no micro managing by direct management, benefits & pay are OK

Cons

Layoffs - it's not a matter of "if" you're getting RIF but "when" -- ELT sole focus is on stock price and not the customer - constant hype around "the next acquisition" and the opportunities it will bring - don't fall for it!

Structure the ELT stock options for 5 & 10 year availability so that not all decisions are made quarter to quarter on stock price - fire your acquisition team - think about your customer & employees every once in a while

"Deluxe has a curable disease...but no doctors in house"

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people & mid-managers. Good benefits & flexibility. Fair (but declining) reputation for customer focus and quality.

Cons

Very poor senior management ability to adjust to change and diversify to next generation products and services. Strategy is to cost cut and RIF to prosperity. Employees live quarter to quarter. Stock has realized nice growth, but customers are becoming very agitated with frequent price increases and service & quality decreases. Expect customer fallout and market share decline due to customer dissatisfaction.

Yes, customer relationships do matter. No, it isn't all about price. Show some loyalty to long time employees. Fire your merger and acquisitions team and find someone with vision.

Account Executive

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Retirement Savings program through Profit Sharing, 401K, etc. allowed me to save at a high level for retirement. Managers did not micro-manage. Internal support organization provided excellent service to financial institutions.

Cons

Pace of bringing new marketing services solutions to market is slow. Compensation model is below other relevant companies providing services to financial institutions.

Improve employee recognition programs.

Respected company with good benefits.

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific co-workers an solid management. Pretty good work life balance and supportive culture.

Cons

Struggling to transform to a more diverse product and services suite and as a result the business segment I was working for is constantly downsizing.

The Worst Company I Ever Worked For

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Pay is great if you are a contractor. Flexible start and end times are good due to the poor location.

Cons

Company is full of long term employees that care solely about keeping their jobs and work the system to their advantage. The work is easy but there are too many political hurdles to jump to do anything at all. There is no training and you are not given the tools needed to do your job and/or the level of security needed. IT is a joke - I found only one competent IT person. Senior Management is clueless as to what is taking place around them and who is reporting to them! Management looks to eliminate all ownership/responsibility and assign it to lower level employees so they can point the finger to someone else. Too many employees "work remotely": their work is simply answering emails occaisionally. This allows the remote employees extra vacation time since they can answer emails anywhere.

Understand who is working for you and assist them so they will have the tools needed to do their jobs and communicate with them. You need to find a new, up and coming industry to position yourselves in: the effort should be on this endeavor instead of cutting pennies in a dying / dead industry. Once you have the new industry concept, position your employees to focus there and grow your business. I know that you are somewhat attempting this but I am not sure what the new idea is-the picture is too fuzzy and you are not using your brightest employees and other resources there.

OK - people are wonderful, no room for advancement.

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

People are fantastic to work with.

Cons

There is no room for advancement.

Promote from within as there is a lot of hidden talent.

Deluxe is a good Company to work for. Their focus is more on the bottom line vs employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

The insurance and benefit package is good, and they do move people up through the ranks.

Cons

Starting pay is low for a major corporation, they do show favoritism. While most jobs are posted a lot of them are not. People don't have equal access to bid on jobs.

Follow the Golden rule !!

Good Company

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I think the current leadership pulled through some very tough times, with tough change management to adjust to the competitive and tough to grow business climate.

Cons

Slow to change at times and political.

See above