www.deluxe.com

Updated December 19, 2014
2.7

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year (in 13 reviews)

• They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Little diversity in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate from people that are fired, quit or just never show up again (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience no long term future

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, solid benefits, great mid management team that has years of experience in the field.

Cons

Not a positive outlook, the core product (check printing) is shrinking and company is losing market share to competitiors as they try to force additional pricing increases on clients. This is something that continues to frustrate clients and points them to other vendors.

Deluxe has continued to fail to bring any other relevant products/solutions to market.

Find an identity.

Bureaucratic nightmare and ditto most of these other comments

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary and incentives...for non-sales people.

Cons

Too many layers of management and a nightmarish, confusing web of overly complex, unnecessary processes have created a haven for mediocrity. If you are above average, and/or the type to question the many things you will encounter that don't make any sense you will not be successful here. They talk about change and innovation, but in practice they want anything but. Constant, large layoffs create low morale. They lay off experienced employees then turn around and replace the exact same position with lower-cost less experienced people, which only adds to the chaos and confusion. There is no focus on customer satisfaction or even doing the right thing for customers. It's only about the bottom line.

That would be a complete waste of time.

Confusing Nonsense

Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Deluxe is a large company; therefore the benefits are great.

Cons

Since Deluxe is a large company, you are number & treated as one.

Know your employees - know their strengths and weaknesses.

Former Employee - Credit/Collections Department in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Credit/Collections Department in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are friendly. They have a great lunchroom

Cons

Management was not very supportive. It seemed like the main concern was covering your butt and fixing blame on mistakes or problems. Training is almost nonexistent

Institute more training, the company would be less chaotic

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, great health benefits

Cons

Call script change, change from a customer focus care center to a sells focused center. poor leadership amongst management

Move diversity training for the customer service associates, train managers to be more consistent amongst themselves

They will sell you one thing, deliver another.

Former Employee - Sales & Service Representative in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Sales & Service Representative in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

None. Not a single thing.

Cons

Salary freezes, no wage increase for 2 years. Layoffs, low morale, unrealistic goals.

Churn through good people

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Decent work life balance. Benefits were OK. SOME sincerely nice people in the group. Others would throw you under the bus in a heart beat.

Cons

Continually sacrificed tomorrow's markets and revenue opportunities for today's cash. Very short sighted. Hard to build any type of strategy because it was all about today and tomorrow. I saw a lot of talented people churn through really fast. People tended to be there 15+ years or under 2 years. Very few in between.

Started out happy with steady decrease in those feelings

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Inbound Call Division
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Inbound Call Division

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are good about working with you to choose your schedule for most people, but they are tough with flexibility for days/hours off and have a strict absence policy. It was enough for me as a single woman, but if I had a family things like sick kids or unexpected emergencies might have cost me my job if it didn't work out just right.

The pay is okay for entry level, and raises are easy enough to come by, but my position was exhausting. I was on the phones for 3 years. I started out at $12.50 and left at $15.83+comm because it wasn't worth the pressure anymore.

The benefits are what kept me for so long. My 401k was doing great, and the medical was a decent price, but last I heard before leaving is that all might be changing.

People are decent to get a long with. I met one of the best bosses I've ever had here.

I was able to experience a couple different roles within my department, but never offered jobs which I applied for in different departments. I suspect they wanted to keep me in sales because I produced decent numbers despite the fact that I do not like sales in the first place.

Cons

My position was terrible. I had to take sales calls all day long with zero variety They kept raising sales expectations and goals to unattainable measures and constantly pressured you to pressure customers. They constantly monitored every minute of your day if you were not as productive as they wanted you to be. I was great at sales, and I was quick to assure customers were satisfied, but I didn't take enough calls in their opinion. I struggled for a long time to find happiness within this organization, but I just couldn't measure up to their expectations & in the 3 years I was there I can only name a handful of people that had been there longer than me in that department which had more than 100 people.

I was finally able to give my notice after 5 other people on my team quit. I found a better job where I am much happier and nearly all the friends I have who still work there continue to inquire as to where my new job is and if they can apply because most are not happy here.

Work with your sales people to create attainable goals that they are comfortable with instead of constantly implementing new expectations.

Listen to feed back from the sales floor and it's team leads. You place team leads in terrible spots when you don't empower them to make their teams happy while constantly pushing/pressuring for more from an unhappy team.

Trying hard to be......something they can't be

Former Employee - Mid-management in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Mid-management in Auburn, AL

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big corporate environment, hierachical, with big company attributes and benefits. These are positives if you like politics and bureacracy and lip service. Suck ups will do well here.

Cons

Cut throat environment with a smile, if you are going to be asked to give your thoughts, they want 'yes men'. Not a lot of trust of senior management - they are in it for themselves. Trying hard to something they cannot be....and this can get vindictive. Business outlook is not exciting.

Allow tenured people to make decisions versus going through a long drawn out process to hear no at the end. Trust your folks who want to perform versus castrating them. Be inclusive. Hire some minorities and women for God's sake.

Decent

Former Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Liked the people
    Pretty good PTO
    Nice 401k contributions
    Decent pay

Cons

Dying industry. There for a few months, then laid off. Many other of my colleagues have since been laid off. Decent pay.

Don't hire new people if you don't have the money to keep them.

Deluxe Corporation Photos