Deluxe Corporation

Deluxe Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram

Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year(in 12 reviews)

• The company provides good benefits and pays well for most positions(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensated well for going over sales goals, then a new ceiling is placed that is unobtainable with current lead structure(in 5 reviews)

• The senior leadership team is not equipped to motivate and drive the change needed(in 5 reviews)

Development & Growth

ProsPut your best foot forward and the doors will open. Even if they they can't right now, plenty of opportunity to receive kudos and coaching on how to excel in your profession. Opportunities to shift to new roles and advance are available as well.

ConsFast-paced. They weren't kidding. Sometimes you look for a lull in the race, but we cover a lot of ground and there is satisfaction in what we get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile you promote and advance the top workers, keep in mind those that are solid contributors.

Use to be great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsBenefits, compensation and the people.

ConsThey used to appreciate employees and gave me a lot of opportunities. Company changed over last few years. Now only for the select few. Do more with less because of constant lay-offs, Worked extremely long hours. No work /life balance. No appreciation for good employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong hours, no work/life balance and even with great work you could not get a promotion. I am guessing because it was not in the budget. With constant lay-offs it leaves others with even more work when employees are already maxed out. Be careful, with the job market opening up you may find yourself loosing good employees and the expense of training new ones in.

Overall experience has been great!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsDeluxe is in the midst of transformation, and its an exciting time to be part of the organization. It feels like a start-up in that its entreprenurial, fast paced and innovative. I really enjoy working in this type of culture/environment. I also really enjoy the people I work with here at Deluxe.

ConsWorking remotely can be challenging at times, but Deluxe has some great tools in place to ensure that we are able to stay connected with our team/colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKudo's to our leadership team for investing in resources that promote our professional development and growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overhaul Human Resources

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefit package is above average and there are many people in the organization to consult when needing recommendations, feedback or advice. Mid-level managers are generally helpful and responsive in a positive way.

ConsPeople at director level, especially in HR, are not helpful, in tune with what is going on, or responsive in a positive way. They tend to just skim over the issues. I am not confident they have the right people in those positions and they need to overhaul the department. Too many people have remote managers that do not know what you do on a daily basis and performance reviews and increases are not handled properly or fairly. If you don't know me, how can you rate me?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers. Ones that know how to solve problems and inspire people. Too much time is spent behind closed doors... get out to where the people work and find out what is going on. Leadership 101. Know your businesses, your people, and your customers. Don't just talk about them behind closed doors!

Poor Corporate Culture

Desktop Engineering (Former Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsThe salary for my position was great, as were the benefits.

ConsI was expected to work a minimum of 55 hours per week, never leave my work post unless I was bringing lunch back, and could never leave the premises to eat lunch with my manager's manager as he would often take 1 1/2 hrs for lunch. After working 60 hours per week, a 1 1/2 hour lunch once a month seems perfectly acceptable!!
    The manager was a micro manager and did NOT know how to manage people on a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over.

Too many unprofessional managers

Finance (Current Employee) Shoreview, MN

ProsCo-workers are great. People genuinely care about their peers. Personal relationships are what keep most people at this company. Opportunities exist to move up within the company.

ConsManagement style of my particular dept highly unprofessional (akin to being in high school "he said/she said") and has you on the defensive constantly. Decent benefits, but perhaps at the cost of a base salary that is market competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at how many layers of management are present in your department. Are they well informed? Do they understand the job functions of those working below them? Is their approach one that desires to have deeper understanding, or one that is assumptive and quick to pass tasks and blame. In a nutshell, are they having their team do all the lifting for them with little expertise of their own? More importantly, do they offer respect and demonstrate values to the teams they serve? You may find that you could do without 1/3 of your multi layered management team, and that job satisfaction the core of your employee base would be better off for it.

Challenging enviorment to work within.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people trying to solve hard problems.

ConsLack of innovation and leadership at the top. Limited understanding of the overall product, and therefore the strategy and execution is weak.

Satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat local office, flexible hours, decent pay

Consdoes not want to retain talent, IT department needs a revamp constantly having to call.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and keep talent. Stop trying to cut corners by trying to cut cost

Customer service Rep

Prosgood job for students who need an easy job

Consconstant change and heavy sales pitches required

Great place to work if you're motivated

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Lancaster, CA

ProsI like this company, they reward high performance with nice monthly bonuses, so if you're motivated then it's a great place to work. There are several of my co-workers who are lazy and they sit around complaining that the bonuses are too hard to get, even though there's a ton of us who get them every month. I wish these lazy people would be fired cuz they bring the rest of us down. My boss is awesome and his boss is also really cool, but once you go above that level I get the impression that they don't listen to us anymore.

ConsThey're afraid to fire people because they don't want to have bad attrition numbers, but I don't see how having a high attrition rate hurts you more than having lazy employees stick around way longer than they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire fire fire! Get rid of these people that are negative. They bring us good employees down and demotivate us.

Worked for Deluxe Corporation? Contribute to the Community!