Deluxe Corporation

Updated November 20, 2014
2.7

Deluxe Corporation CEO Lee J. Schram
Lee J. Schram

Pros
  • Work life balance has also dramatically improved in the last year (in 12 reviews)

• They offer very good benefits and generous paid time off (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Little diversity in upper management (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover rate from people that are fired, quit or just never show up again (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience no long term future

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, solid benefits, great mid management team that has years of experience in the field.

Cons

Not a positive outlook, the core product (check printing) is shrinking and company is losing market share to competitiors as they try to force additional pricing increases on clients. This is something that continues to frustrate clients and points them to other vendors.

Deluxe has continued to fail to bring any other relevant products/solutions to market.

Find an identity.

Churn through good people

I worked at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Decent work life balance. Benefits were OK. SOME sincerely nice people in the group. Others would throw you under the bus in a heart beat.

Cons

Continually sacrificed tomorrow's markets and revenue opportunities for today's cash. Very short sighted. Hard to build any type of strategy because it was all about today and tomorrow. I saw a lot of talented people churn through really fast. People tended to be there 15+ years or under 2 years. Very few in between.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, great health benefits

Cons

Call script change, change from a customer focus care center to a sells focused center. poor leadership amongst management

Move diversity training for the customer service associates, train managers to be more consistent amongst themselves

Trying hard to be......something they can't be

Former Employee - Mid-management in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Mid-management in Auburn, AL

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big corporate environment, hierachical, with big company attributes and benefits. These are positives if you like politics and bureacracy and lip service. Suck ups will do well here.

Cons

Cut throat environment with a smile, if you are going to be asked to give your thoughts, they want 'yes men'. Not a lot of trust of senior management - they are in it for themselves. Trying hard to something they cannot be....and this can get vindictive. Business outlook is not exciting.

Allow tenured people to make decisions versus going through a long drawn out process to hear no at the end. Trust your folks who want to perform versus castrating them. Be inclusive. Hire some minorities and women for God's sake.

Started out happy with steady decrease in those feelings

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Inbound Call Division
    Former Employee - Small Business Sales Inbound Call Division

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are good about working with you to choose your schedule for most people, but they are tough with flexibility for days/hours off and have a strict absence policy. It was enough for me as a single woman, but if I had a family things like sick kids or unexpected emergencies might have cost me my job if it didn't work out just right.

The pay is okay for entry level, and raises are easy enough to come by, but my position was exhausting. I was on the phones for 3 years. I started out at $12.50 and left at $15.83+comm because it wasn't worth the pressure anymore.

The benefits are what kept me for so long. My 401k was doing great, and the medical was a decent price, but last I heard before leaving is that all might be changing.

People are decent to get a long with. I met one of the best bosses I've ever had here.

I was able to experience a couple different roles within my department, but never offered jobs which I applied for in different departments. I suspect they wanted to keep me in sales because I produced decent numbers despite the fact that I do not like sales in the first place.

Cons

My position was terrible. I had to take sales calls all day long with zero variety They kept raising sales expectations and goals to unattainable measures and constantly pressured you to pressure customers. They constantly monitored every minute of your day if you were not as productive as they wanted you to be. I was great at sales, and I was quick to assure customers were satisfied, but I didn't take enough calls in their opinion. I struggled for a long time to find happiness within this organization, but I just couldn't measure up to their expectations & in the 3 years I was there I can only name a handful of people that had been there longer than me in that department which had more than 100 people.

I was finally able to give my notice after 5 other people on my team quit. I found a better job where I am much happier and nearly all the friends I have who still work there continue to inquire as to where my new job is and if they can apply because most are not happy here.

Work with your sales people to create attainable goals that they are comfortable with instead of constantly implementing new expectations.

Listen to feed back from the sales floor and it's team leads. You place team leads in terrible spots when you don't empower them to make their teams happy while constantly pushing/pressuring for more from an unhappy team.

Clueless

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good. The salary is competitive and it is good if you can retire there and the company is good to the retired employees

Cons

The HR is clueless and do not know what they are doing. The Director of HR financial services is slow, does not do anything. Does not know anything and they need to get rid of her.

Get rid of your HR department.

Decent

Former Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Liked the people
    Pretty good PTO
    Nice 401k contributions
    Decent pay

Cons

Dying industry. There for a few months, then laid off. Many other of my colleagues have since been laid off. Decent pay.

Don't hire new people if you don't have the money to keep them.

Experience as 12 year business development executive

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers, flexibility, team culture

Cons

New management team, constant turnover due to layoffs and reorgs, weak product suite

Deluxe continues to struggle finding an identity. As the check market shrinks year over year Deluxe continues to lose more and more clients due to forced price increases and opt in add on programs clients see no value in. Bad business model

The company has attempted to develop a foot print in other areas but continues to struggle and has not been able to meet revenue expectations.
    Needs a better organization structure and bring in management team that is solution based and understands the market. This is something they are way off base on

Marketing Intern - Boring First Internship

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good way to get my foot in the door and to get some experience. Learned how to use excel.

Cons

Really boring work environment. Isolated the entire time. Nobody really seems excited. Printing industry is dying but they are expanding into new markets, not sure how well it will go.

Customer service representative with a very scripted dialogue, no ethic based co

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Groton, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Groton, MA

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close to home, great co-workers , great benefits, options to volunteer

Cons

Having to up sell customers without them knowing it, unfair time off system, unfair system of getting hours chosen for you

When hiring representatives advice them off everything that will be included in the job description. I was hired as customer service and doing much more with same pay. Things are constantly added on to job description and training and if your doing more you should be getting paid more

Deluxe Corporation Photos