Deluxe Corporation Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
195 reviews filtered by

All Politics and non-I.T. people lording over I.T. people

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

They are taking the correct strategy by switching to a technology company, but sabotage it by letting incompetent I.T. and non-I.T. people rule.

Cons

No one is accountable. Doing the simplest thing requires hours of meetings and politics. VERY hierarchical. If you are below someone they will exert their influence. The illusion of performance is more important than performance, so if you are an expert in I.T. making great progress you will be shot down and micro-managed (since usually short-term sacrifices are required for mid to long-term gains).

You have NO CLUE about technology. Fire incompetents and political saboteurs, hire competent IT people, then get the F out of the way and let them do their job. Ensure no one who isn't born and bred into successful technology has a position of power over those who do.

An Office Full of Bullies

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

I really enjoy my actual job duties. Promotion potential is there. I get money back from the wellness program for going to the doctor which is nice.

Cons

The recruiter/my manager oversold the company culture. Even their video with employees saying they work there because of the people feels like a lie now. The people I have to work with have ugly personalities and don't live up to the "shared values". You ask for help/clarification/guidance and managers treat you like it's your fault you don't understand something and use it against you. Even going to HR doesn't help because managers will just say what they know HR wants to hear.

Stop putting all the companies' eggs in the financial basket. People are more than just ways to hit your numbers.

Customer Service Call Center Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for a call center. Chance to self promote by your stats on top of monthly bonuses. Great benefits package ,wonderful 401k matching. Incredible time off options/flexability. Supportive direct manager. Lots of charity drive and fundraisers for the community.

Cons

Constant changes in scripts and procedure. Not a lot of chance to move within the company. High turn over, so if your not a natural born, high pressure sales person, its recognized right away and not much done to keep you.

5. Visionary Company preparing for the future

Current Employee - Sales & Service Representative
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Representative

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great changing environment! management company continually strives to be in the forefront of the industry and is diversifying vertically. Investing in marketing and other services companies to provide a wide range of solutions and products. Gives back to the community!

Cons

Needs to invest in a management succession plan from within! Top management is not diverse.

Not that great. Current manager

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation

Pros

Work life balance is ideal. Many ways to get involved in the company. On going training and educational series available to employees. Leaders are seen on the floor.

Cons

Managers are not given the opportunity to be autonomous. They are forced to make decisions driven by directors/sr. Leadership. Manage by fear/intimidation. Annual layoffs. Deluxe wants to play like a large organization but they lack the resources, and lack competent leaders. Most leaders at Deluxe would be doing director level work for a small division in a larger organization. It isn't a great place to work, lacking in diversity. Anyone who has ever worked outside of deluxe in the recent past will agree the pay isn't as great as the tenured employees claim it is, hence poor leaders perhaps.

Look at managers. If managers aren't given
    Autonomy you either have the wrong people in the wrong positions or managers managers aren't doing their job by training and developing. upper management is not as competent as one thinks because micro managing is a sign of insecurity and incompetence.

No upward movement

Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekly base pay, decent benefits and fairly lax with time requirements as long as your numbers are met.

Cons

constant commission changes and inaccuracies, direct management and senior management have ZERO experience in selling the products. Unrealistic quotas and goals. Compensated well for going over sales goals, then a new ceiling is placed that is unobtainable with current lead structure.

Be honest and forthcoming with advancement opportunities and direction of company.

This old company is trying to figure out how to stay alive, but they don't know what they're doing.

Current Employee - Sales in Shoreview, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. They attempt to make it a fun environment, but it doesn't always work.

Cons

The pressure of sales is enormous. Micro management that dictates everything once you start your day. They require the sales team to offer so many products on calls that the customers are getting fed up. High pressure to sell web sites while their own web site has issues. Assumptive sales approaches and add ones are turning off the once loyal customers. Brand loyalty doesn't exist anymore. The incentive plans change so often it seems that management doesn't really know what they're doing.

Listen to your sales staff. Determine what you're good at and stay with it. Customers don't want to be sold stuff they can get elsewhere for a fraction of the inflated prices we charge.

Transformation?

Former Employee - SAM in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - SAM in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good at recruiting and presenting the company as a resurgent organization. They fooled me.

Cons

Check printing still brings in a lion share of revenue despite what company has the street believing. We all know how printers are doing today. Deluxe uses the surplus model for hiring. Lateral transfers and weeding out the weak. A process for which the "best" never apply.

Make a BIG acquisition, that is the only way I see this organization staying relevant.

10. A great company in many ways

Former Employee - Supervisor in Shoreview, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Shoreview, MN

I worked at Deluxe Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on Customer satisfaction, Employee engagement and Shareholder value; the concerns and opinions of employees are addressed

Cons

Staffing is sometimes too lean to accomplish goals; too many team meetings and individual coaching sessions are canceled due to heavy workload

There should be more coordination/consultation among functional areas; too many "silos" and not enough information about what the left hand is doing is effectively shared with the right hand

11. Company undergoing a transition.

I have been working at Deluxe Corporation full-time

Pros

Deluxe has been supportive in my individual development in providing learning opportunities.

Cons

Company is struggling to break away from check business and uses smoke and mirrors in showing diversification.

Provide employees with a road map to promotion.

Deluxe Corporation Photos