Deluxe Entertainment

Updated September 16, 2014
2.2

Deluxe Entertainment CEO Cyril Drabinsky
Cyril Drabinsky

Pros
  • Working environment is clean and air conditioning works well (in 8 reviews)

• Great people really do work here, as their motto says (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees (in 11 reviews)

• Terrible work life balance, Messy Software Development and release cycle (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love this company, very tight nit community

Current Employee - QC Tech  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - QC Tech in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part about working at deluxe is bagel thursdays and friday treats. I also like the values the company has as a whole.

Cons

mondays, tuesdays, and wednesdays. Also I do not really like how difficult it to solve issues as things have to go through an assemble line of people just to get done.

From Family Oriented to Corporate Mess in 5 easy Steps!

Former Employee - QC Technician  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - QC Technician in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cannot speak for current, but they did have a positive work culture, events around holidays, bonuses.

Cons

High level of office politics, gossip, nepotism, work-life balance does not exist. Bonuses have been removed.

Retool upper level management, remove glut of SVP and VP's, find managers who are aware of the current change in the market and can hire and respond accordingly. Stop purchasing companies and focus on the current product.

Low benefit level.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer, Lead  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer, Lead in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Has contact to major movie studios.

Cons

Not a software company, no good for soft engineer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ugh

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

none that i can think of

Cons

not good company is very jaggedy

Horrible Company! Very Corrupted and Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I don't see any pros with this company. To me, it was a mistake to accept their offer.

Cons

Corporate IT is horrible. Dirty management. CIO, PMO, and VP of IT constantly lie and are very corrupt. Their knowledge about the IT area which they are managing is very limited to nothing. They pay for B1 Visa and green cards so they can get cheap labor and employees can't leave due to the sponsorship, even though everyone at the low level is pretty much used to being abused. Nepotism practiced. Disparity with pay. Not collegiate. Cliques. Not employee oriented. Conniving. Very capitalistic. Unfair and inconsistent practices and policies.
    As a result, IT Cop provides very bad services to their customers and to the company as a whole.

Clean up the IT Corp upper management starting from the CIO, PMO and VPs

Unsatisfying.

Current Employee - Desktop Support Specialist  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great group of co-workers who take pride in what they do
    - decent amount of new technology being introduced all the time

Cons

- Great workers are not given the value/recognition they deserve
    - Very low pay (i can only speak for myself)
    - Director level and above have no clue how to manage what few employees they have left ( CORP IT)
    - Extremely low moral with no end in sight.

take a pay cut or give up your yearly bonus so that you can bring all your employees up to appropriate salaries for the work they do, not just based on what they are titled as.

Was once a great place to work.... not anymore.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Their 401k matching is excellent: they: offer 75 cents on the dollar up to the first 5% of your pay that you contribute, and it's fully vested. Sadly, that's about it.

Cons

There are some great people there, but unfortunately, as upper management grows (there are more and more people with some meaningless “VP” title every month, it seems), they become more disconnected with the lower echelon. People are being hired in at lower and lower starting pay, they’ve taken away bonuses for hourly employees (supposedly because they get overtime, but they’ve taken that way too, for the most part), and they abuse the salaried people to the extreme, having them put in ridiculous hours because it doesn’t cost the company any extra. This has resulted in a virtual hemorrhage of talent (those that haven’t left are looking, guaranteed).

Additionally, over the last few years, there’s been a pattern of the bloated management (who are still pulling nice paychecks) letting some of the best and brightest go if their opinions are not in line with the company politics and keeping the folks who are willing to just say “yes” even to terrible ideas. Their preference seems to be having a staff comprised of mindless sheep. They also are known to time all their layoffs right around the holidays - real nice, huh? And speaking of holidays, they force everyone to take the week off between Christmas and New Years, so for the people who only get two weeks a year (which, thanks to the high turnover, is most of them), they’re essentially being told when they have to take half their vacation. Other shady HR practices abound.

This company used to be a leader in the post-production world, but with the market for DVDs slowly dying, Blu-ray likely to follow, and little to no money in digital delivery, their future is far from certain. I predict more layoffs, more salary reductions and lower and lower morale for the

Pull your heads out and wake up to the reality that it takes more to boost morale than free bagels and fruit once a week, or a free coffeemaker at Christmas. You can't treat your employees like crap 90% of the time and expect them to be happy because you throw them a bone every once in a while.

Would rate 0 stars if it was an option

Former Employee - Never Given A Title  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Never Given A Title in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met a few good friends there.

Cons

While I have worked in multiple divisions of Deluxe this review is pointed specifically at Deluxe Digital Distribution (D3). The work environment was the most toxic I have ever experienced and it all stems from the management staff who bring incompetence, poor business ethics, and bad attitude to a knew level. Employees are often managed by people who are less qualified by them and often are treated as problem employees when their supervisors/managers are threatened by them. I have even been given verbal warnings by multiple managers/supervisors for making them look bad because I was able to answer a question they could not. This was followed by me being forced to 'Check out' with my manager every day (something i alone was required to do) just so they could write me up if I failed to do so (because a write up disqualifies deluxe employees from promotions or even applying to other jobs within the company for 12 months).

Upper management would often attempt to play games with employees and turn them against each other. For example: I was taken to lunch by an executive in which i was told I deserved a raise and a title change, but this was only done to threaten my supervisor who had requested a pay increase. I received neither the title or raise that was discussed.

Skilled employees are made to work unreasonable hours, often working 7 days a week (day and night in many cases) because management refused to hire more staff members to meet the demands of a constantly increasing workload. All the while their superiors surf the internet and leave at 6pm.

Managers create a hostile environment: yelling/cussing at employees for no reason other than they were under stress from their superiors, holding employees to double standards, and promoting sexism (Men were often given credit for accomplishments that were not theirs while women were blamed for the mistakes made by their male counterparts. One manager would not accept an answer from a female employee unless an equivalent male employee confirmed). When Human Resources is informed of these issues they feign concern but act simply to make the problem go away but nothing is done to fix the issues.

From a Business perspective, D3 is extremely dishonest and unethical. The often promise potential clients the use of Content they are not licensed for and when the issue is exposed during production the sales and management team blame the 'confusion' on a lower employee (usually female).

Consider a change in leadership, the replacement of a few upper managers can improve not only the work environment but your poor image within the industry, and your production capabilities. Without those changes, no piece of advice could improve D3.

Good Company to Work for. Great Benefits

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company and well known in the industry. Well-life balance and Great people.

Cons

Poor leadership and cubicle atmosphere.

Promote the right people and not just those that threaten to quit or just complain the most.

Terrible work environment, no promotions, no bonuses, bad pay!

Current Employee - Technical  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Technical in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Naive employees who work a lot and are supportive
    Interesting work - new tech
    Access to movies to watch

Cons

1. Don't fall for the 20% bonus (which is supposedly guaranteed).
    2. No promotions EVER, how many ever projects you deliver or how many ever hours your spend.
    3. Poor pay, below market.
    4. Senior Mgmt doesn't care about your career path
    5. Lay-offs are common, every year before Christmas
    6. Working longer hours without pay and weekends are common, and never appreciated

Try and retain your best employees, don't let them quit

Worked for Deluxe Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!