Deluxe Entertainment Reviews

2.8
Deluxe Entertainment CEO David Kassler
David Kassler
1 Rating

Deluxe is a great place to learn and grow in all areas of the entertainment world. A true leader in the post production

Former Employee - Account Director in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are self motivated and have a thirst for knowledge Deluxe is a great place to work. You can learn something new everyday and co-workers are always happy to share their knowledge. The best and brightest from Sr. Management to the coordinators on down. And if you are the type of person with a thirst for knowledge and success Deluxe is a great place to learn all areas of the post world from sales, planning, analysis and execution.

Cons

If you are not hard working or adept at change management this is not the place for you. You need to be nimble and proactive and are expected to bring solutions to problems. If you are looking to punch a clock you will not be happy at Deluxe.

Concentrate more on the interview process to only bring in the best and brightest employees that will help contribute to Deluxe's success.

Great, supportive management.

Former Employee - Account Director in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is great at identifying and promoting talent. If you work hard, you will definitely get ahead. Management gives you the tools and support you need to become successful. The culture promotes respect and team work. While this is a fast-paced environment that can stressful at times, everyone is always willing to pitch in during very busy times.

Cons

The company expects proactivity and results. So if you are looking at cushy corporate job where you do the minimum, this is not the place for you.

Great working emvironment with talented peers, solid supervision and hands-on management team.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation, clear and fair time-off policies.

Cons

Lots of talented peers here, so you have to set your goal high and must not be complacent.

Do NOT work for Deluxe, a miserable environment that people are trying to escape from.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few pros come to mind. Having over 4 years under my belt at corporate, I guess the following are best:
    - You'll find and identify fellow co-workers doing their best to get by here
    - Free Bagels on Thursdays (though upper management frequently thinks about cutting this perk to cut costs. Will probably be gone within the next year or two)
    - 401k is better than most

Cons

- Layoffs are happening frequently across the company, and will continue to happen in the next year. These layoffs have resulted in employees being thankful to have a job, and fearful of speaking up during open forums that "encourage" feedback.
    - In the four years I have been there I have not received any raise. I only know of two people in my department who have received raises in these 4 + years.
    - Promotion from within is not a concept practiced here. Rather, hiring from the outside instead when positions open up is commonplace.
    - The amount of money employees must contribute to the insurance plan raises consistently each year. It has gotten to the point where I pay double what those at other companies are commonly contributing for the same insurance.
    - Feedback and suggestions is always "encouraged" by upper management, but the moment you do speak up you are quickly challenged, fought, and sent on your way for speaking your mind.
    - Offensive remarks are thrown about often. Ladies, hope you like being called sweetheart and hearing jokes about your personal life.
    - A lot of turnover in executive management, maybe this current realm will stick. This turnover has resulted in several reorgs company wide.
    - Middle management has openly had it out against employees and discussed with these employees' peers that their insubordination will get them on "their bad list". What a surprise, these hardworking and intelligent employees were let go during the next round of layoffs. The group scrambled and still not the same since their departure. Good job guys.
    - Seems like they keep the worst, least qualified employees fearing lawsuit if they are fired.
    - In order to be relevant in the industry, Deluxe has had to buy other companies to stand a chance. This hasn't worked, and results in layoffs when the revenue isn't flowing in like they assumed.

Identify a strategy and stick with it. Get rid of incompetent middle management and under qualified employees because there is more than enough evidence to justify cause.

The level of unprofessionalism that takes place at Deluxe Entertainment Services is unprecedented. Toxic environment.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once they squeeze everything from you, 70 hours per week, at-a-time, you will eventually be fired, then you can land at a company with real core values.

Cons

Working at Deluxe Entertainment was hands-down the worst experience in the span of my entire career. This is the unhealthiest work environment I've ever had the misfortune to work in.

No true leadership, just dictators... Too much favortism, a lack of professionalism, lack of respect from managers, and other more tenured employees.

Management WILL blatantly lie to you about salary, growth, work/life balance, which there isn't any; if you work salary, you're pretty much putting in upwards of 65 hours a week, working from home every night, into the wee hours of the morning, and weekends.

No overtime!

Average salary for an account manager is 45k.

Average salary for account coordinators is $12/hour. They basically do the same work.

Do Not fall for the 5 year plan: work for 45k or $12/ hour for five years then will promote you to whatever becomes available at undetermined pay bump (usually less than 5%).

This is a very toxic place with a very unhealthy, fixed mindset; if you're of the growth mind-set, and ready to bring about solutions to challenges, you will be met head on by existing employees who see who see this as a direct-threat to their job. I expected politic, but this goes beyond politics.

I was verbally assaulted and yelled at by my manager.

Shame on you Deluxe Entertainment Services. A true indicator of a company's success isn't how much your quarterly earning were, but your workforce's sense of fulfillment. When you pay folks way below the market rate, and make them work excess amounts of unpaid overtime and consecutive days with no days off, you not only compromise your company's credibility, but you invite a massive legal peril.

Lots of competition but lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment

Pros

Deluxe is involved in all aspects of the supply chain so there is plenty of opportunity and plenty of chances to learn. As the industry leader in most market segments. All the latest and greatest technology and deals with all of the major clients.

Cons

Since there is so many talented people it can be hard to get ahead sometimes and you have to put in your time, however you get to learn from the best and strong performers can thrive. Average to under performers can have a tougher time.

Invest in stronger management. Deluxe is loyal to long time employees, which I can appreciate, however many times the leadership is not during enough to take advantage of the significant advantage that the company has in the industry. I would promote stronger talent/leadership instead of loyal but under impressive leadership.

Get in, get experience, and then get out!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment

Pros

Deluxe Digital Media is conveniently located in Burbank next to dining and shopping. The facilities are nice and well-kept. Most of your co-workers will be smart and talented. Bagels are provided for free every Thursday. Health insurance is offered to full-time employees. Company is willing to hire inexperienced candidates and it remains a good place to “get your foot in the door.” You will learn a great deal here. Impressive career growth can be achieved if you meld with management’s culture.

Cons

Highly-political, toxic work environment…seriously, Chernobyl is less toxic. Management is willfully disassociated from employees. The treacherous and sycophantic are rewarded with power, and since Deluxe is bursting with these personalities, the organization is extremely top-heavy. Disrespectful attitudes are not only tolerated, they’re celebrated. The rank-and-file will regularly undermine each other to endear themselves to the influential or sometimes just for catharsis; even the disparaged want someone to belittle. Wages for those below middle-management have stagnated since 2010 and bonuses are meager, if they’re dispensed at all. The majority of employees are classified as exempt, resulting in rampant incompetence, as mistakes are rarely a concern for the company since there are plenty of employees not accruing overtime to stay late and fix problems. You’ll be seen as uncooperative if you’re vigilant in maintaining a work/life balance. Layoffs of considerable size are happening with increasing frequency. The health insurance offered is adequate, but the cost of coverage is much higher than what the studios and many competitors provide. Despite what you’ve just read, Deluxe Digital Media is not a dystopian, corporate hellscape. It’s nothing more than a clumsy behemoth trying to survive in an ever contracting industry by squeezing its employees, many of whom are too fearful of losing their jobs to rise above the acrimony.

If you’re just starting out, this is a great place for you to learn, make friends and meet valuable industry contacts. After your first year, start looking for employment elsewhere. It may take a while to find that perfect opportunity and you do not want to work at Deluxe for more than three years. Get in, get experience and get out. Do not let the company fool you into thinking they’re the film industry. They’re not. You’ll never meet Gale Anne Hurd or J.J. Abrams working at Deluxe Digital Media.

If you’re an aspiring actor, writer, director, musician or even ventriloquist, this is a great place for you to grab a steady paycheck in between gigs or until you get your “big break.” The company will resent that your true passion is not the drudgery they’re paying you for, but do not abandon your creative ambition. Again, they’re not the film industry and no one has ever said “I’m glad I clawed my way into management at Deluxe Digital Media instead of making that independent film.”

If you thrive in competitive, volatile environments and enjoy working on difficult projects for implacable clients, this will be an exciting place for you. However, if you’re lucky enough to possess the skills necessary to succeed under such stress, why not make some real money and be a Wall Street broker, a political operative or a powerful defense attorney? No one ever said “I’m glad I remained an Executive Vice President at Deluxe Digital Media instead of managing that hedge fund.”

Maintain the status quo. Your company is still an industry leader and there doesn't seem to be a mass exodus of talent, despite all the unhappiness. Perhaps your intentionally toxic environment truly is working to motivate the employees? Machiavelli was smart and apparently, so is senior management at Deluxe.

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

relax and friendly working environment;

Cons

the only cons that I have is the commute;

management is doing a great job

Good colleagues essential to weathering an uncertain environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

industry recognition (100 year old company); impressive retention of good talent; private company so fairly nimble in the industry; consistent with annual employee reviews

Cons

acceptable but not best in class in terms of employee benefits; hiring process may be the only opportunity to negotiate compensation - generally no cost of living adjustments, merit-based increases or bonuses.

Significant lack of leadership on the part of "managers"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only 'pro' was, wait, no there are zero pro's except parking was easy. That's it. Nothing else. Oh, and they keep the bathroom's clean. Big woop.

Cons

Let's begin with my first day at Deluxe Digital Studios in Burbank. As soon as I walked into the office, I noticed the most depressed looking employees. Morale, was low and continue to be low after I quit. My "manager" if you want to call her that, had ZERO leadership skills, did not engage with her "team" and was out to lunch for the majority of her tenure. There was another 'manager' from the customer support department that would walk into my managers office, with the door open and talk badly about all of her employees. There was no shame in doing this, and I have never in my life, with my military background and working in corporate America for years, witness such vile and vitriol behavior from said managers. I was under the impression that a manger was to take on the role of a leader and guide her or his team to perform at an excellent level. Silly me, and my military mentality. It's gets worse, not joking folks. My manager noticed that I would engage with our team of only 6 individuals and motivate them to get our job done with absolute positive results. The team, liked me and they were happy to see me everyday. Guess what went wrong after that. You guessed it, said manager decided it was time for me to go. She tried to set me up for failure, instead her plan backfired on her and I got a chance to spend hours with HR explaining what a toxic environment I work in because of this particular manager. Without getting into specifics and what exactly happened, she recruited one of the members of the team, to go to HR and fabricate a story about what I supposedly said to her on a day that I was not even there. A day, mind you that I had called in sick. So, the HR nightmare began. I was called in to HR to give them my story. Only problem was, I had no idea what they were asking me. They noticed something was wrong. So I asked HR specifically on what day and time did this conversation take place and were there any witness' to this supposed conversation. HR was taken back, because they never experienced anyone taking notes during their questioning and flipping the table on them. Since they were not prepared, they said "we'll you tell us, you were there" and of course I replied, I wasn't there, I was off that day, I called in sick. Check my time records. That's when I decided, now would be a good time to tell HR about my 'manager' and her non professional attitude towards her employees. And yes, I told HR about the other manager that came in everyday and spoke badly about her employees. OH, did I forget to mention, the entire time that I was talking to HR and my manager when all this was happening I utilized the most important technological device - my iPhone recorder ? Yup, I recorded every single conversation from the first HR questioning to the last. It helps to know labor laws. Guess what happened after that, my manger's boss came in to talk to me, with all of HR and my manger in a conference room apologizing to me and what was going on. I didn't care what she had to say, so I just said whatever, because I already decided to leave the company and was already one foot out the door and not looking back. So what happened during this time was a lot of awkward behavior from the team. They were under the impression that the first HR questioning, that it was going to be my last and I was going to be fired. How wrong they were. I stayed for a few weeks, found another job and quit. My 'team' and 'manager' failed to stab in the back. Instead I was able to give HR a full and lengthy detail of how low morale is and my 'manager' is not qualified for her job. So word of advice. Keep you iPhone next to you at all time. Hit the record button, and if iPhone's are not allowed in meetings or if your manager calls you in to talk to him or her, make sure you got a recording device and hit record before you walk in. Needless to say, I don't recommend Deluxe Digital in Burbank.

Deluxe Entertainment Photos