Deluxe Entertainment

Deluxe Entertainment Reviews in Burbank, CA

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Deluxe Entertainment CEO Cyril Drabinsky

Cyril Drabinsky

Pros
  • Working environment is clean and air conditioning works well (in 8 reviews)

• Great people really do work here, as their motto says (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees (in 11 reviews)

• Terrible work life balance, Messy Software Development and release cycle (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company to Work for. Great Benefits

Software Developer (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsGreat Company and well known in the industry. Well-life balance and Great people.

ConsPoor leadership and cubicle atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the right people and not just those that threaten to quit or just complain the most.

Would rate 0 stars if it was an option

Never Given A Title (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsMet a few good friends there.

ConsWhile I have worked in multiple divisions of Deluxe this review is pointed specifically at Deluxe Digital Distribution (D3). The work environment was the most toxic I have ever experienced and it all stems from the management staff who bring incompetence, poor business ethics, and bad attitude to a knew level. Employees are often managed by people who are less qualified by them and often are treated as problem employees when their supervisors/managers are threatened by them. I have even been given verbal warnings by multiple managers/supervisors for making them look bad because I was able to answer a question they could not. This was followed by me being forced to 'Check out' with my manager every day (something i alone was required to do) just so they could write me up if I failed to do so (because a write up disqualifies deluxe employees from promotions or even applying to other jobs within the company for 12 months).

Upper management would often attempt to play games with employees and turn them against each other. For example: I was taken to lunch by an executive in which i was told I deserved a raise and a title change, but this was only done to threaten my supervisor who had requested a pay increase. I received neither the title or raise that was discussed.

Skilled employees are made to work unreasonable hours, often working 7 days a week (day and night in many cases) because management refused to hire more staff members to meet the demands of a constantly increasing workload. All the while their superiors surf the internet and leave at 6pm.

Managers create a hostile environment: yelling/cussing at employees for no reason other than they were under stress from their superiors, holding employees to double standards, and promoting sexism (Men were often given credit for accomplishments that were not theirs while women were blamed for the mistakes made by their male counterparts. One manager would not accept an answer from a female employee unless an equivalent male employee confirmed). When Human Resources is informed of these issues they feign concern but act simply to make the problem go away but nothing is done to fix the issues.

From a Business perspective, D3 is extremely dishonest and unethical. The often promise potential clients the use of Content they are not licensed for and when the issue is exposed during production the sales and management team blame the 'confusion' on a lower employee (usually female).

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a change in leadership, the replacement of a few upper managers can improve not only the work environment but your poor image within the industry, and your production capabilities. Without those changes, no piece of advice could improve D3.

Terrible work environment, no promotions, no bonuses, bad pay!

Technical (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsNaive employees who work a lot and are supportive
    Interesting work - new tech
    Access to movies to watch

Cons1. Don't fall for the 20% bonus (which is supposedly guaranteed).
    2. No promotions EVER, how many ever projects you deliver or how many ever hours your spend.
    3. Poor pay, below market.
    4. Senior Mgmt doesn't care about your career path
    5. Lay-offs are common, every year before Christmas
    6. Working longer hours without pay and weekends are common, and never appreciated

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and retain your best employees, don't let them quit

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Company I have Ever Worked for

"Technical" (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsPleasant facility and surroundings, some competent fellow employees. Working environment is clean and air conditioning works well.

ConsManagement is arrogant, condescending and incompetent. Highly political toxic environment. Came into the company as a very experienced employee with many years in the business. Found "crisis management" everywhere as a result of poor infrastructure. Attempted to make good suggestions and was pro active in implementing dynamics within my department to fix the issues and was shot down an ignored and later resented and fired by management for my good ideas based on experience over the years at many top notch facilities. Young inexperienced people are promoted and given management positions they don't deserve, while experienced people are ignored and fired. The worst job I have ever had and I have worked for all major studios.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Deluxe "comfort zone" is "deliverables" such as DVD and Blue Ray media which is all that current management really seems to know. Most professionals in the business know that streaming media is at the front and to remain successful you need to develop profit centers that are up to date. Arrogance is a common denominator within upper management and it has no place in Deluxe to promote a healthy work environment. What is needed is a replacement of the entire upper management "team" with competent knowledgeable people with experience in diversified new media, if Deluxe is expected to succeed and stop floundering.

Toxic Environment!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsI was able to work with some really talented people. They offer a good benefits package in addition to employee appreciation days to boost low morale.

ConsMy boss was a terrible communicator which led to a very demoralizing existence there. People would be fired unceremoniously if they either stood up for themselves and/or weren't part of the clique. People are constantly afraid of losing there jobs too.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to management your cash flow better so you won't be late with payroll again.

Stay Away

IT Administrator (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsCompetitive pay, for some positions.
    Dynamic technical environment with lots of potential for improvement.

ConsManagement (with few exceptions) appears to be checked out.
    Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees.
    Sole priority is cost saving, innovation is not on the list.
    Management acknowledges lack of resources (that continue to dwindle), but does nothing to mitigate the gaps nor retain high quality - the employees are left to constantly improves solutions and inherit responsibilities without receiving credit.
    The above points have lead to monumentally low morale issues and high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and act on those suggestions/concerns as swiftly as possible rather than drowning the raised issues in unproductive meetings to avoid accountability or action. It is not enough to portray active listening, you need to be a diving force behind the solution, GET INVOLVED. If you don't know how, follow your own advice and seek guidance or escalate, doing nothing is not an option.

A Company that Needs to Hire and Promote Base On Knowledge, Not Just A Resume.

Account Coordinator (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsWhen account required, got to work overtime.

ConsZero job security and a great place for incompetent idiot to become Sr. Managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHardworking employees should never be laid-off for no good reason. People in this business are the sort of assets that become more valuable as the time goes by, just like a properly matured bottle wine. It's never a bad idea to motivate the employees by the providing funding for their education.

This place used to be great.

Production Manager (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsPeriodically there are free snacks. Some nice benefits. There also some great people to work with who really know their business and I've learned so much from them.

ConsI get told all the time that I'm a valued employee yet whenever I try to move up in the company, I'm told "Oh, you don't want to do that job." And then they bring in someone from outside the company to do that job. It's much easier to move up if you leave the company than if you stay and try to work your way up. There's almost no training, especially not on their new ordering system they are expecting everyone to use. Lots of politics go on here - some of us haven't had a raise in years at our location yet people at other locations get yearly bonuses based on company performance which we are told is good. Why isn't that given to all Deluxe employees? And if you aren't in with the right section of upper management, you aren't going anywhere. And upper management changes every year here. But they don't seem to have a plan as everything is very haphazardly put together without much forethought so that when issues happen, everyone freaks out. Very reactive rather than proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I started with the company years ago, the management at that time knew how to nurture their talent. Now they cut as many people as possible by combining job roles, cutting pay and expecting people to do the work of two people while getting around overtime by making them salary. Why not set an example by first cutting the salaries of upper management? A 10% cut there is going to help a lot more with the budget and let us keep talented workers. And instead of basing layoffs on salary level, base it on performance. My department lost our best performer because he had been with the company long enough to have earned a higher salary and now I'm stuck with constantly having to fix the mistakes of the guy who should have been tossed.
    And don't pay lip service to your employees. If you value an employee, don't say it, show it! Provide a career path so we can move up. Don't promise us a promotion and then hire someone from outside the company instead without even giving us a heads up about why the sudden change.
    Stop being so full of yourselves at the company meetings and talking about how great we are and how much the studios love us the most. I talk with the clients and they sing an entirely different tune as they are sick of the attitude, the continual production issues and the lack of customer service. They prefer working with the boutique post houses and are actively looking to find ways to get away from us.
    And get more server space. We've been transitioning to digital for quite some time now and there is absolutely no excuse for the lack of adequate server space. Files are getting corrupted or lost because servers are overloaded and end up crashing and connectivity within the building is horrendous as it can take hours for files to be moved and not everyone has all the software they need to create or review them to ensure they are good before they go out the door.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsNice People, easy to work with.

ConsTerrible work life balance, Messy Software Development and release cycle

Awfully political and uninspiring

Java Programmer (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

Pros- You can work on cool movies/shows that millions of people watch.
    - Decent benefits.
    - People in the team are nice (but see Cons).
    - The company supports visas for foreigners (but see Cons).

Cons- Shittiest company politics. VPs only cares about those who are willing kiss their asses.
    - Crazy overtime. They want you to devote your life.
    - Everyone is pretty much used to being abused, and don't even try to leave the company.
    - Supports visas for foreigners so that they can keep them and make them work to death.
    - For Java developers in Production departments: your career is so narrowed down you'll have hard time getting out of the industry.

Worked for Deluxe Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!