Deluxe Entertainment

Deluxe Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Deluxe Entertainment CEO Cyril Drabinsky

Cyril Drabinsky

Pros:
  • "A great work environment, plus awesome people who work there"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They offer a good benefits package in addition to employee appreciation days to boost low morale"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work life balance, Messy Software Development and release cycle"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Industry Heavyweight Trying to Stay Fit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDeluxe has a long and impressive history, global assets, and some proven leaders in the industry. I worked with many terrific individuals in many different branches of the company. Very nice working environment day to day.

ConsThe sheer size and complexity of Deluxe's operations, combined with the rapid pace of change in the industry, results in many communication breakdowns and some confusion about direction. Communications from corporate are frequently obscure or non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more communicative to the "troops on the ground". Specifics, not generalities, help employees focus and get behind company initiatives.

Would rate 0 stars if it was an option

Never Given A Title (Former Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsMet a few good friends there.

ConsWhile I have worked in multiple divisions of Deluxe this review is pointed specifically at Deluxe Digital Distribution (D3). The work environment was the most toxic I have ever experienced and it all stems from the management staff who bring incompetence, poor business ethics, and bad attitude to a knew level. Employees are often managed by people who are less qualified by them and often are treated as problem employees when their supervisors/managers are threatened by them. I have even been given verbal warnings by multiple managers/supervisors for making them look bad because I was able to answer a question they could not. This was followed by me being forced to 'Check out' with my manager every day (something i alone was required to do) just so they could write me up if I failed to do so (because a write up disqualifies deluxe employees from promotions or even applying to other jobs within the company for 12 months).

Upper management would often attempt to play games with employees and turn them against each other. For example: I was taken to lunch by an executive in which i was told I deserved a raise and a title change, but this was only done to threaten my supervisor who had requested a pay increase. I received neither the title or raise that was discussed.

Skilled employees are made to work unreasonable hours, often working 7 days a week (day and night in many cases) because management refused to hire more staff members to meet the demands of a constantly increasing workload. All the while their superiors surf the internet and leave at 6pm.

Managers create a hostile environment: yelling/cussing at employees for no reason other than they were under stress from their superiors, holding employees to double standards, and promoting sexism (Men were often given credit for accomplishments that were not theirs while women were blamed for the mistakes made by their male counterparts. One manager would not accept an answer from a female employee unless an equivalent male employee confirmed). When Human Resources is informed of these issues they feign concern but act simply to make the problem go away but nothing is done to fix the issues.

From a Business perspective, D3 is extremely dishonest and unethical. The often promise potential clients the use of Content they are not licensed for and when the issue is exposed during production the sales and management team blame the 'confusion' on a lower employee (usually female).

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a change in leadership, the replacement of a few upper managers can improve not only the work environment but your poor image within the industry, and your production capabilities. Without those changes, no piece of advice could improve D3.

Lead Engineer

ProsCutting edge work, hands on work

ConsNo career plan, upper management cut off, no communication of company performance or goals, employees are only appreciated after they lay down papers

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to retain the already lean workforce. Also do market analysis on pay levels and provide more competitive pays.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company to Work for. Great Benefits

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsGreat Company and well known in the industry. Well-life balance and Great people.

ConsPoor leadership and cubicle atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the right people and not just those that threaten to quit or just complain the most.

Getting worse and worse

ProsOk working environment.
    just adding more words here so it can be submitted

ConsNo raise, no bonus anymore.
    Too many high level management. There are so many directors and VP's in the company and some of them don't know what they are doing.
    Very difficult to grow within the company unless you're close to the management.
    poor management and disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees have to say about the company.

Terrible work environment, no promotions, no bonuses, bad pay!

Technical (Current Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsNaive employees who work a lot and are supportive
    Interesting work - new tech
    Access to movies to watch

Cons1. Don't fall for the 20% bonus (which is supposedly guaranteed).
    2. No promotions EVER, how many ever projects you deliver or how many ever hours your spend.
    3. Poor pay, below market.
    4. Senior Mgmt doesn't care about your career path
    5. Lay-offs are common, every year before Christmas
    6. Working longer hours without pay and weekends are common, and never appreciated

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and retain your best employees, don't let them quit

Worst Company I have Ever Worked for

"Technical" (Former Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsPleasant facility and surroundings, some competent fellow employees. Working environment is clean and air conditioning works well.

ConsManagement is arrogant, condescending and incompetent. Highly political toxic environment. Came into the company as a very experienced employee with many years in the business. Found "crisis management" everywhere as a result of poor infrastructure. Attempted to make good suggestions and was pro active in implementing dynamics within my department to fix the issues and was shot down an ignored and later resented and fired by management for my good ideas based on experience over the years at many top notch facilities. Young inexperienced people are promoted and given management positions they don't deserve, while experienced people are ignored and fired. The worst job I have ever had and I have worked for all major studios.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Deluxe "comfort zone" is "deliverables" such as DVD and Blue Ray media which is all that current management really seems to know. Most professionals in the business know that streaming media is at the front and to remain successful you need to develop profit centers that are up to date. Arrogance is a common denominator within upper management and it has no place in Deluxe to promote a healthy work environment. What is needed is a replacement of the entire upper management "team" with competent knowledgeable people with experience in diversified new media, if Deluxe is expected to succeed and stop floundering.

I got film ready for transportation to theaters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree screening of some movies

Consmanagement did what they wanted

Leaves no time for life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnot a lot to say about this

Conslong hours, low pay, just not a good pace for students

OK

ProsThe people are great. The divisions are filled with smart hard working staff.

ConsTop management is distant and do not seem to care much about learning the business. Goals are pushed down with little to no thought to reality. There is a high turn over due to the low pay.

Worked for Deluxe Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deluxe Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deluxe Entertainment CEO Cyril Drabinsky. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Deluxe Entertainment employees.