Deluxe Entertainment

Updated January 25, 2015
2.4

Deluxe Entertainment CEO Cyril Drabinsky
Cyril Drabinsky

Pros
  • A great work environment, plus awesome people who work there (in 10 reviews)

• Great people really do work here, as their motto says (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High level of office politics, gossip, nepotism, work-life balance does not exist (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

relax and friendly working environment;

Cons

the only cons that I have is the commute;

management is doing a great job

Good colleagues essential to weathering an uncertain environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

industry recognition (100 year old company); impressive retention of good talent; private company so fairly nimble in the industry; consistent with annual employee reviews

Cons

acceptable but not best in class in terms of employee benefits; hiring process may be the only opportunity to negotiate compensation - generally no cost of living adjustments, merit-based increases or bonuses.

Significant lack of leadership on the part of "managers"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only 'pro' was, wait, no there are zero pro's except parking was easy. That's it. Nothing else. Oh, and they keep the bathroom's clean. Big woop.

Cons

Let's begin with my first day at Deluxe Digital Studios in Burbank. As soon as I walked into the office, I noticed the most depressed looking employees. Morale, was low and continue to be low after I quit. My "manager" if you want to call her that, had ZERO leadership skills, did not engage with her "team" and was out to lunch for the majority of her tenure. There was another 'manager' from the customer support department that would walk into my managers office, with the door open and talk badly about all of her employees. There was no shame in doing this, and I have never in my life, with my military background and working in corporate America for years, witness such vile and vitriol behavior from said managers. I was under the impression that a manger was to take on the role of a leader and guide her or his team to perform at an excellent level. Silly me, and my military mentality. It's gets worse, not joking folks. My manager noticed that I would engage with our team of only 6 individuals and motivate them to get our job done with absolute positive results. The team, liked me and they were happy to see me everyday. Guess what went wrong after that. You guessed it, said manager decided it was time for me to go. She tried to set me up for failure, instead her plan backfired on her and I got a chance to spend hours with HR explaining what a toxic environment I work in because of this particular manager. Without getting into specifics and what exactly happened, she recruited one of the members of the team, to go to HR and fabricate a story about what I supposedly said to her on a day that I was not even there. A day, mind you that I had called in sick. So, the HR nightmare began. I was called in to HR to give them my story. Only problem was, I had no idea what they were asking me. They noticed something was wrong. So I asked HR specifically on what day and time did this conversation take place and were there any witness' to this supposed conversation. HR was taken back, because they never experienced anyone taking notes during their questioning and flipping the table on them. Since they were not prepared, they said "we'll you tell us, you were there" and of course I replied, I wasn't there, I was off that day, I called in sick. Check my time records. That's when I decided, now would be a good time to tell HR about my 'manager' and her non professional attitude towards her employees. And yes, I told HR about the other manager that came in everyday and spoke badly about her employees. OH, did I forget to mention, the entire time that I was talking to HR and my manager when all this was happening I utilized the most important technological device - my iPhone recorder ? Yup, I recorded every single conversation from the first HR questioning to the last. It helps to know labor laws. Guess what happened after that, my manger's boss came in to talk to me, with all of HR and my manger in a conference room apologizing to me and what was going on. I didn't care what she had to say, so I just said whatever, because I already decided to leave the company and was already one foot out the door and not looking back. So what happened during this time was a lot of awkward behavior from the team. They were under the impression that the first HR questioning, that it was going to be my last and I was going to be fired. How wrong they were. I stayed for a few weeks, found another job and quit. My 'team' and 'manager' failed to stab in the back. Instead I was able to give HR a full and lengthy detail of how low morale is and my 'manager' is not qualified for her job. So word of advice. Keep you iPhone next to you at all time. Hit the record button, and if iPhone's are not allowed in meetings or if your manager calls you in to talk to him or her, make sure you got a recording device and hit record before you walk in. Needless to say, I don't recommend Deluxe Digital in Burbank.

Very friendly place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a very good company that values its employees. People there really care about movies and producing a product that pleases the customer. There are Friday treats in the summer, and people's birthdays are celebrated on a monthly basis.

Cons

Work can be feast or famine at times. You are usually busy throughout the year, but every now and then there are lulls followed by a lot of work all at once.

OK

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Work/life balance
    -Low stress job
    -Easy job
    -Easy commute
    -Ample parking

Cons

-lots and lots of layoffs
    -decentralized and unorganized among the business units
    -bad/little to no communication among business units
    -inefficient
    -bad employee morale
    -pigeon-holing
    -no linear career growth/advancement in place
    -no annual reviews
    -lots of temps who stay temps for a very long time
    -cubicle hell

-Centralize among the various business units and communicate better with all business units, so everybody is on the same page, and everybody knows what's going on, instead of having to recreate the wheel and lead to inefficiencies
    -Cross train people instead of constantly hire personnel

ZERO Room for Advancement

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great to work with... that's it.

Cons

Every move within the company looks to be lateral. If you're not upper management, there are no raises even with a good review - not even if you technically advance positions, it's title only no pay increase. No matter what department you work in, it will be understaffed, you will be over worked, stressed out, and no matter how much you shine and get pats on the back, you will never get more than that: a pat on the back.

Don't you wonder why you're losing Employees? People are quitting left an right. You're losing awesome people, because you refuse to acknowledge them. No raises for over 5 years? Overloading employees just because they're good at their job results in burnout - period. Promoting someone to a higher position, not compensating them, and then making them salary so you don't have to pay the OT? Not fair. I thought this was just a few cases... but then I realized that this is done to EVERYONE not in upper management.

Unstructured, arrogant, toxic environment keeps anything from being achieved

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can't say anything was a pro.

Cons

Benefits are awful, no interest in developing skills through classes etc, and the office culture is toxic. Everyone is obsessed with covering their role in a project because management loves to point fingers when it all falls apart. Wish I had read Glassdoor reviews before I signed on. No leadership, no organization, no interest in input from anyone who isn't top brass, no culture to speak of (that isn't organically toxic and fearful), no perks (screenings, special events, etc.), and hiring practices seem to be fine with a bait and switch method (employee's cover 50% of their health insurance). Offices not up to par, computer and technical equipment and IT are insufficiently trained/available, and when Deluxe tries to do anything positive it's just a lot of congratulations and back slapping at the upper echelons, that has nothing to do with how the companies actually performing or innovating. All in all, feels like a place run by rich, uninteresting teenagers.

A Company in steep decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Certain positions can offer decent compensation - you get to help make movies - often, a real-life version of the film "Office Space"

Cons

Often a real-life version of the film "Office Space" Management straight down from the executive level is completely out to lunch - the infrastructure at most of the facilities is in a state of decline and nowhere near the currently standard for the post-production industry (seriously, everything is broken or needs an upgrade). I thought the New York office was the downright worst but after reading the reviews on this site about other locations - problems are spread around. As you would expect from a Company cobbled together from the carcasses of various former competitors (failed outright or driven under) inter and intra-office communication (other than back-biting) is abysmal.

Management is a verb as well as a noun. Admit that the company has problems - engage with the employees to help solve some of the issues

Absolutely no room for growth!!

Former Employee - Booking Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Booking Coordinator in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck.

Cons

Not much! Overworked, under appreciated. Horrible work-life balance. Total boys club! Also, raises are non-existent even with stellar yearly reviews.

Promote those that deserve to be promoted. Stop playing favorites.

Unethical company with some truly unsettling and shady HR practices

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I worked at Deluxe Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of work to be done and it is busy almost all the time. Stable reputation among studios as a company that can deliver however improbable the requirements. Depending on the team you work with you might get to work with some really good people. Benefits started off being very good/excellent to just about enough to finally paltry. Everything done is aimed at achieving the Bonus. Offices and desks are very good. Latest hardware is provided to most teams.

Cons

Depending on the team you work with you might get to work with a lot of unprofessional folks. While it is true there are unprofessional people in all companies, there seems to be a high concentration here. (Maybe indicative of company culture?) HR is brutal and ruthless. Seeing the process used for layoffs I'm thankful to not have gone through one. Though not technically illegal they pull a lot of unethical stuff on current and former employees that would fall in the gray area. Teams are motivated with fear. (Of missing deadlines, missing bonuses etc) Not a good style of leadership to thrive under. Ability to innovate existed in pockets a few years ago but has completely gone out the window. There is a lack of clear communication from upper management and middle management and down below to frontline workers. Nepotism is clearly visible in multiple areas. If you are aligned under the correct political powers that be, then you are good otherwise good luck. Most times managers are more concerned with deadlines than the art of managing people and providing a harassment/politics free work environment. Good luck having a work life balance. You are just a number that will do whatever it takes to get the project completed. Its all about what the studios want and on their terms. So that soccer practice of your son, dinner with your wife. Forget all that. Folks who get legal immigration benefits from the company are held ransom by covert statements made by managers. The overall impression given being "You should be happy to have a job"

Treat your employees better. While extra cash in the form of bonus is nice, a good work culture and a non-passive aggressive work environment will help your employees contribute more to the company. Identify inefficiencies in middle management and empower the actual frontline workers. Make HR work more for the employees than toeing the company line.

Deluxe Entertainment Photos