Deluxe Entertainment

Deluxe Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Deluxe Entertainment CEO Cyril Drabinsky

Cyril Drabinsky

Pros
  • Working environment is clean and air conditioning works well (in 8 reviews)

• Great people really do work here, as their motto says (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees (in 11 reviews)

• Terrible work life balance, Messy Software Development and release cycle (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

OK

ProsThe people are great. The divisions are filled with smart hard working staff.

ConsTop management is distant and do not seem to care much about learning the business. Goals are pushed down with little to no thought to reality. There is a high turn over due to the low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the right people and not just those that threaten to quit or just complain the most.

Short contract; great people!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat and smart people to work with!

ConsGetting set up with a computer...

No news is good news

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is above average and the divisions operate autonomously

ConsInformation about the company where it is headed what its objectives are, how your position relates to the big picture is almost totally absent. Much depends on personal relationships as opposed to performance. In fact, there are no performance reviews in many of the business units. In this company the silos are made of a titanium alloy

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and encourage the staff to contribute to the goals once you decide what they are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life changing experience working at Deluxe Film Lab in Hollywood, CA.

QC Negative Foreman (Current Employee) Hollywood, CA

ProsHave had numerous promotions and moved up the ladder for over 20 plus years.

ConsAlways on call and have worked many hours of overtime, weekends, and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new ways to expand into the ever changing technology, and bring employees along with new training and new jobs.

Safe and secure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGood pay, okay benefits, creative opportunities.

ConsWhen it is slow, it is slow. Disconnect between the Hollywood division and all the subsidiaries around Los Angeles.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees and what they can do for you. Deluxe employs some of the most creative people in the world, and yet they can be stifled by bureaucracy and oversight.

Toxic Environment!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsI was able to work with some really talented people. They offer a good benefits package in addition to employee appreciation days to boost low morale.

ConsMy boss was a terrible communicator which led to a very demoralizing existence there. People would be fired unceremoniously if they either stood up for themselves and/or weren't part of the clique. People are constantly afraid of losing there jobs too.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to management your cash flow better so you won't be late with payroll again.

Stay Away

IT Administrator (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsCompetitive pay, for some positions.
    Dynamic technical environment with lots of potential for improvement.

ConsManagement (with few exceptions) appears to be checked out.
    Upper management has little to no regard for their employees or the ideas/suggestions of their employees.
    Sole priority is cost saving, innovation is not on the list.
    Management acknowledges lack of resources (that continue to dwindle), but does nothing to mitigate the gaps nor retain high quality - the employees are left to constantly improves solutions and inherit responsibilities without receiving credit.
    The above points have lead to monumentally low morale issues and high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and act on those suggestions/concerns as swiftly as possible rather than drowning the raised issues in unproductive meetings to avoid accountability or action. It is not enough to portray active listening, you need to be a diving force behind the solution, GET INVOLVED. If you don't know how, follow your own advice and seek guidance or escalate, doing nothing is not an option.

A Company that Needs to Hire and Promote Base On Knowledge, Not Just A Resume.

Account Coordinator (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsWhen account required, got to work overtime.

ConsZero job security and a great place for incompetent idiot to become Sr. Managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHardworking employees should never be laid-off for no good reason. People in this business are the sort of assets that become more valuable as the time goes by, just like a properly matured bottle wine. It's never a bad idea to motivate the employees by the providing funding for their education.

This place used to be great.

Production Manager (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsPeriodically there are free snacks. Some nice benefits. There also some great people to work with who really know their business and I've learned so much from them.

ConsI get told all the time that I'm a valued employee yet whenever I try to move up in the company, I'm told "Oh, you don't want to do that job." And then they bring in someone from outside the company to do that job. It's much easier to move up if you leave the company than if you stay and try to work your way up. There's almost no training, especially not on their new ordering system they are expecting everyone to use. Lots of politics go on here - some of us haven't had a raise in years at our location yet people at other locations get yearly bonuses based on company performance which we are told is good. Why isn't that given to all Deluxe employees? And if you aren't in with the right section of upper management, you aren't going anywhere. And upper management changes every year here. But they don't seem to have a plan as everything is very haphazardly put together without much forethought so that when issues happen, everyone freaks out. Very reactive rather than proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I started with the company years ago, the management at that time knew how to nurture their talent. Now they cut as many people as possible by combining job roles, cutting pay and expecting people to do the work of two people while getting around overtime by making them salary. Why not set an example by first cutting the salaries of upper management? A 10% cut there is going to help a lot more with the budget and let us keep talented workers. And instead of basing layoffs on salary level, base it on performance. My department lost our best performer because he had been with the company long enough to have earned a higher salary and now I'm stuck with constantly having to fix the mistakes of the guy who should have been tossed.
    And don't pay lip service to your employees. If you value an employee, don't say it, show it! Provide a career path so we can move up. Don't promise us a promotion and then hire someone from outside the company instead without even giving us a heads up about why the sudden change.
    Stop being so full of yourselves at the company meetings and talking about how great we are and how much the studios love us the most. I talk with the clients and they sing an entirely different tune as they are sick of the attitude, the continual production issues and the lack of customer service. They prefer working with the boutique post houses and are actively looking to find ways to get away from us.
    And get more server space. We've been transitioning to digital for quite some time now and there is absolutely no excuse for the lack of adequate server space. Files are getting corrupted or lost because servers are overloaded and end up crashing and connectivity within the building is horrendous as it can take hours for files to be moved and not everyone has all the software they need to create or review them to ensure they are good before they go out the door.

Great mgmt team!

ProsNew mgmt with CAO and CFO is great

ConsWeak divisional leadership particularly deluxe digital distribution

Worked for Deluxe Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!