Demand Media

Demand Media Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Demand Media Co-founder and Interim CEO Shawn Colo

Shawn Colo

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet(in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees(in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles(in 19 reviews)

My experience has been positive

Film Maker (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI'm usually paid within a week of submitting my pieces. DM contacts are friendly, helpful and professional. Ive always been more of a producer but I've become a better shooter since working as a filmmaker w/ Demand. Their feedback is usually solid.

ConsRequirement information is not always consistent, Sometimes 2 people in authority can tell me opposite info in a 5 minute span. The pay is pretty low. And the network is not as dependable as it could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my end its flowing rather well. Talent Producers dont seem to have any casting-talent- or producing experience so it makes it hard for filmmakers sometimes. Pay incentives for pieces that require no edits would be nice - Since the pay is low it would show appreciation for professionals who do it right the first time.

I look forward to going to work every day

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat location, awesome coworkers who know how to have fun but can buckle down and get the job done when necessary.

ConsConstantly changing priorities and focus can make it difficult to really assess what's important.

Great People to work with

Freelance Videographer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to grow my career

Conscontract payment on the low side

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice facilities and a creative environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStocked kitchen, new offices, great environment

Constroubling ethical issues about the pay for writers

Great Place to Work with Great Benefits!

Visual Designer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsBenefits (medical, vision, dental) are great. Stock options available, at least 2 weeks paid vacation, very laid back atmosphere. New building and great team. Free lunch on Friday. Cereal bar with stocked frig. Many team culture events.

Conspay salary is on the lower end. Like any company there are some politics you want to avoid. Not much of any other cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is lack appreciation of design.

Good people, good perks, but undisciplined operations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was at Demand for a few years. Overall the people were great--personable, knowledgeable, and good to work with. And the office experience was good. The perks were wonderful and the work I had was for the most part fun and provided good opportunities for learning and growth. They were also great with flexible hours and working from home, which was a huge help with child care and more.

ConsDespite all these pluses, after 14 years in IT operations Demand Media has, hands-down, one of the most politics-laden and mismanaged operations environments I've ever seen... Chronically random enterprise environments, operations groups that rarely communicated with each other (and in a few cases even flatly refused to), random layoffs with virtually no consideration for the operational support holes left behind in the process, and more. At least once while I was there an entire dev ops team supporting one of their bigger products was restructured by one manager--existing people abruptly let go and replaced with people he wanted, and the environment restructured with little or input from other operations teams or business units. I was once even ordered to stop work on a project (which everyone agreed was badly needed and which eventually became one of the company's standard operations support tools) because, I was told, it's success was making my boss's boss look bad politically (he had been given budget to do the same thing and hadn't made significant progress). The company's customer-facing downtime reflects this sort of thing. Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options. But as of this writing the stock is $2/share lower than it was at this time last year and barely 1/4 of what it was when the company went public 2 1/2 years ago. While I was there these things and more were taking their toll on many operations and dev personnel and turnover rates were significant.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a company Demand Media has promise and the managers I had contact with were mostly great people. But the company is essentially a corporate equivalent of a bright, but undisciplined adolescent who although gifted, needs to learn how to clean his room and do his chores. They will never be World Class unless they start managing their people, policies, and operations according to World Class rules.

For the right person, a great opportunity. Fit is everything here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people who care about their employees as people.

ConsOpportunities seemed unnecessarily limited. Hard to sink your teeth into it when there are so many stakeholders. Didn't focus enough on developing people, although, there are good people in the org who will take you under their wing. Too many cracks to fall through, perhaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign teams with strategic initiatives, deliver ownership and vision down the chain. All hands are nice, but disconnected from ground operations. Work on defragmenting some of the org chart/teams.

One great experience!

ProsAn excellent company to work for. So much enthusiasm and so many very smart people to work with and to become friends with.

ConsThere are times when we work very long hours - but that is with any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial to add more women to the executive management team. The company is currently a bit "man"-aged.

Relaxed and very chilled people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Pros- free friday lunches
    - wine downs every last friday of the month
    - work hard, play harder
    - awesome benefits
    - a lot of team culture events from hollywood bowl to six flags
    - recognition of hard work
    - company still expanding so opportunities are there if you want to take it.

Cons- they took away the awesome offsite they promised the first year i was here. false advertisement.

Advice to Senior Managementi love my bosses. they work hard and willing to teach. very laid back and when i'm stressed they offer scotch or patrone to help calm me down. always get the problems solved with no finger pointing or blame.

Excellent Job for Independent Contractors

Title Editor (Former Employee)

ProsWork was abundant for first year and a half that I worked there.

ConsWork slowed down to almost nothing and then they closed many departments, including mine in order to move in a new direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive contractors more notice before you end work with them.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!