Demand Media

Updated February 3, 2015
Updated February 3, 2015

Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 8 reviews)

• Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 5 reviews)

• Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

No focus, no leadership

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of opportunity if you play the game.

Cons

All the wrong people are in charge. People get promoted if they just work a lot, not if they work smart.

Just OK

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros -- lots of positive, nice people. Wonderful work/life balance. If you need to work from home, or take vacation, you do it and it's no big deal.

Cons

The company is in a lot of turmoil right now. There is a new CEO, head of design, and head of e-commerce so the middle to upper managers are running around trying to please and impress them instead of doing actual work, like managing people.

Get rid of those few people who are toxic - you know who they are as they are complained about every year in year-end reviews, but you never do anything about them. Institutional knowledge is not worth the amount of people who leave because they get bullied.

Decent Place, Nice People

I have been working at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Demand Media really is a conglomerate... you work for an individual company within Demand, and there are a few corporate departments (HR, etc.). All of the people I have encountered are nice and seem to actually want to help you, which is different from my normal experience in a company this size. The particular piece of the company where I work embodies these traits even more, and really does feel like a family.

Cons

The company's stock hasn't been doing well lately, which is a concern. Also, the hiring process is very odd, with interviewees interviewing for a variety of positions within different parts of the company all at the same time. The promotion path also seems unclear, at least from where I am.

I actually think upper management, which has recently changed somewhat, knows what needs to be done pretty well... The hiring process would be much better if it were more like other places.

Started Okay, but Went Down Hill.

Former Employee - Content Writer in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Albany, NY

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

I enjoyed the flexible hours, the amount of work available, and most of the editing staff. The editors reviewed articles in a timely manner, and payment was almost always on time.

Cons

After working there for six months, the company went through a series of changes that altered the way writers picked up new articles. Unfortunately, for many of us, that meant a lot less work. There were also some concerns with the editing staff.

The company is disorganized and constantly changes priorities.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked with some good people, but most weren't able to grow their skills because the management was so poor and building from within wasn't a priority.

Cons

Stressful environment that neither provided the support nor resources necessary to execute a project effectively. Many projects were abandoned and millions of dollars were wasted due to short-term thinking.

Not a good time to be at the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility in work schedule
    - Fun company activities
    - Unlimited snacks

Cons

- Massive layoffs without any comments from the management
    - No clear direction of the business communicated to the employees
    - Always a fear in the company going under since the business continues to perform poorly over time

Even at the toughest times of the company, clearly and honestly communicate to the employees as to where the company is headed. First we are told that the company will focus on the existing business, then there is a massive layoff with no comments from the management. The company should focus on easing the concerns of the employees rather than creating false impressions and a tense environment. The new CEO has created a worse and "if you don't believe in the company, then leave" atmosphere. First explain us the game plan, instead of telling us to believe in the company or else leave.

A mess of corporate entanglement.

Former Contractor - Marketing
    Former Contractor - Marketing

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly decent folk
    Nice office
    Good wages, so long as you're not the poor guy crafting mass produced content.

Cons

"Go big or go home" is the attitude, which means that good ideas and good projects are halted long before they can reach fruition because the goal is home-run only rather than slow and steady. This means a lot of your hard work will simply end up in a trash can somewhere, often for unclear reasons.

Went Downhill Fast

Former Employee - Freelance Writer
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible; gave a variety of topics to write about.

Cons

Constantly changing, restrictive, frustrating, unclear. Ridiculous expectations for the pay.

Remember where all the content is coming from, and treat the people who provide it better.

Solid company with odd leadership that has since left

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were great, for the most part. Driven, intelligent and friendly. While there was some politics, you could see people tried to avoid them. The Austin office in particular was great and many of the people I met in Santa Monica made me feel welcome every visit. I continue to keep in touch with quite a few people from DM.

Cons

Being in a remote office complicated communication and team work. It was also apparent that they didn't know what to do with their acquisitions at times.

I had an amazing experience during my time at Demand.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

"Demand Media is a company that likes to work hard, play hard" was the cliche motto I was given during my interview - but Demand Media absolutely lived up to it. The environment is incredibly calm and relaxed since facilities does a great job keeping the building lively with events, free food, and music. The engineers I worked with were incredibly smart and experienced and together we managed to accomplish a lot. Once in a while there will be some disaster that requires some solid hours of effort to fix and maintain but it never got in the way of me having a proper work/life balance.

Cons

The perks and management definitely have a bias in favor of the engineers over the non-engineering staff. Not uncommon in this line of work from my experience but it does come up during the holiday Christmas parties when people start drinking too much. It likely explains a lot of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor as well.