Demand Media
www.demandmedia.com Santa Monica, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Demand Media Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Shawn Colo

Pros:
  • "Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Fully stocked fridge, drinks, free lunch Fridays, flexible schedules, overall friendly atmosphere"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to learn on the job.

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDemand hires truly great, friendly people. The HR department goes out of its way to keep a fun environment. Managers tend to not micromanage and let employees figure things out on their own.

There's great freedom and work/life flexibility at Demand.

ConsLower than market salaries; low stock price tends to make morale go down; could have a more formal process for employee training in new areas.

Review process each year is long and arduous.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be better in order to retain great employees.

Great Place to work at

I have been working at Demand Media

ProsGreat people to work with and more potential for growth than other companies. We have beer fridays and free lunch on Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen. Management is great and willing to help teach and encourage growth. I think that Demand Media has a great culture and that the people makes the environment a great place to work at.

ConsThe outlook of the company is pretty stagnant.

It's fine. It's plenty of work, but the freelance setup can be frustrating

Freelance Contributor (Former Employee)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Proswork your own hours

plenty of work to do and projects to work on

Once you're accepted you can begin writing right away

Content is on major websites all over the world

ConsWebsites all have different styles, standards, and even at times different systems for selecting content (Cracked a great example) and therefore you have to be aware of these differences, I wasn't always made aware of the differences too much.

Pay is mediocre

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality of freelance staff, not quantity.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Demand Media part-time

ProsGreat Team, Work Culture - everyone was very smart and had great ideas. You work with world class people.

ConsToo much to do - very Demanding. There was a lack of support. The team I was on was small so there was a lot of gossip which was unfortunate. Professionalism was needed.

Treats editorial people well, at times undervalues editorial content

Director of Editorial (Former Employee)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work environment, super intelligent people, competitive salary with equity bonuses, awesome office location

ConsCommoditizes creative content, sometimes pushes shareholder value at the expense of the product, invests in short term gains over long term stability

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time shoring up smaller properties to become good businesses, get some creative/content/technical people in leadership roles to balance the finance people, sometimes it's ok to just develop stable small businesses instead of trying to hit home runs with massive profit margins

Entry level online editing - all electronic

Online Titling (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

ProsBest place to be for an electronic 1099 position for word gurus. Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal. Great team members. Opportunity to grow. Excellent colleagues who work hard and appreciate the importance of punctuation, grammar and writing integrity.

ConsDemand's HR process does not fit with corporate HR verification process. Since compensation was based on production - if work volume was low, weekly income was affected.

Freelance Writing Experience Simultaneously Rewarding and Frustrating

Freelance Writer (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsI have been a freelance contract writer for Demand Media for several years.

Demand's system allows me to sign into an online virtual "work desk" from my computer, choose article topics that interest me, write the articles, and -- if the editors approve the articles -- get paid for them. The online virtual "work desk" is really well-designed, and enables me to produce articles, see copies of past articles, review article payments, sign in to forums for writers and editors, and many other good features.

I am paid regularly (twice a week) via Paypal. I receive approximately $25 to $30 per article. Articles are published very promptly.

Writing these articles sharpened my research and writing skills. When I first went to work for Demand, I was a bit long-winded as a writer. Conforming to their requirements forced me to write in a punchier, clearer, more informative and colloquial style.

Demand also insisted on thorough research for articles in my specialties (law, business, finance, careers, health care), forcing me to be more careful in my choice of references.

Demand enabled me to get back into freelance writing after years away from freelance writing spent in other careers.

ConsDemand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section.

For writers used to working with one or two editors on a regular first name basis and becoming familiar with their preferences, constantly having your articles reviewed by strangers -- usually anonymous -- can be stressful.

Demand's editorial guidelines are ridiculously complex, and management has recently added "The Associated Press Stylebook" requirements to Demand's own internal guidelines, making it very difficult to write articles that conform 'perfectly' to the two sets of guidelines.

CEs have difficulty applying two sets of guidelines, leading to situations in which one CE will approve an article using certain types of references or grammatical uses and the next CE will reject a very similar article, objecting to those same references or grammatical uses. This can affect a writer's overall "scores" from CEs, causing writer ratings to fluctuate dramatically, even if a writer's style has not changed.

In addition, the CEs are of uneven quality. Some are very experienced, conscientious and polite; others are inexperienced and/or rude. Demand allows writers to rate CEs anonymously, and CEs rate writers anonymously on writer "scorecards." CE ratings of writers seem to count for more than writer ratings of CEs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that Demand assign writers to one or two CEs in each section and give them a chance to communicate with them regularly on a first name basis, as opposed to the current system of nearly anonymous editing.

If a writer and CE don't get along, give the writer (or the CE) the option of transferring the writer to a different CE. If a writer "flunks out" with three or four CEs, then the writer probably has a problem. If a CE consistently 'loses' writers, then that CE has a problem. You'll quickly weed out the poor quality writers and CEs using that method.

I would also suggest that Demand use just one set of editorial guidelines, instead of two.

Heavy cowboy mentality

NOC Analyst (Former Employee)
Kirkland, WA

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people
Good atmosphere
Culture is pretty good
Flexible

ConsEverything is run in a chaotic manner
Most outages and SLA issues caused internally due to lack of oversight
Very high turnover in IT support
Mid to upper management is a good ol boy system

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people with operations experience. Take a real survey of wasted man hours and equate that to dollars lost, then correlate to how much of that is caused by internal idiocy.

Flexible hours.

I have been working at Demand Media

ProsYou are given seven days to complete articles you choose to write.

ConsGuidelines are strict. Your communication with the copy editor is limited. You have one opportunity to make corrections after submitting an article for review and receiving copy editor revision requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more communication between writers and copy editors.

Good learning experience, great perks, management lacks vision & organization

Sales Operations (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment: coworkers are friendly, smart and good to work with. Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games @ Dodger Stadium. Good health benefits and vacation (you start with 3 weeks).

ConsUpper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision. Every quarter, they change directions and focus on a new department instead of investing on the previous quarter's "great new idea".

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Demand Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Demand Media CEO Shawn Colo . All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Demand Media employees.