Demand Media Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, decent pay, work from home, pays twice a week (in 8 reviews)

• We have beer fridays and free lunch on Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Copy editors are rude and self-serving (in 5 reviews)

• Many editors don't understand the subject matter as well as the writers; low pay; rude feedback (in 4 reviews)

1. Great atmosphere, nice colleagues good perks.

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, engaging environment. Vision to turn business around.

Cons

A business in turnaround. Positive outlook though.

2. It was great!

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Great work environment. The office staff truly took care of everyones needs. You had an option between a standing and sitting desk. You could choose the type of environment you wanted to run on your Laptop, which you could also choose. Very cool and effective way to improve productivity and employee satisfaction.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. I really enjoyed my time at Demand Media and will look back on it fondly.

3. Content Marketing Manager Interview

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

I had one phone interview with a recruiter and another phone interview with the hiring manager before coming in for an in-person interview with other staff members which was about 2 hour long or so. Everyone was always pleasant and easy to deal with and although I probably met with a lot of people than normally, I loved having a member of their HR / Talent Acquisition Team come in during the interview and offered honest feedback on my people skills as well as gauge how happy I would be personally here, not just about the job duties. It was a refreshing break that made me feel that this company cares about their employees well-being too, & that they care about who you are as a person & your attitude too -- not just whether you can do the job but whether you would be a cool person to have in their office (which is a beautiful space). I was also notified immediately after the interview that I got the job -- so I was a huge fan of the not-waiting-around sweating / overthinking about my responses stage. Everyone was really nice at Demand, down to earth, and transparent about the position, company culture, and what's expected of the job.

Cons

After I applied online, it took a recruiter a few weeks to get in touch with me and then the hiring manager at Demand another few weeks from there. By the time I made it to the in-person interview it was a month since I applied. But I'm not one of those people who just sit around & wait for one co / offer / position during the job hunt process so I didn't mind. However I can see how someone who had high hopes or who was placed with another job during the interim would find it annoying. The waiting for interviews to be coordinated process, I suppose then, is a con. But I imagine that's because they have a lot of applicants to sift through. Otherwise, great experience with the interviews itself.

Advice to Management

Thanks for hiring me! :)

5. Amazing team and good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the employees are positive, fun, nice, and encouraging; there are a TON of snacks, including a candy lane and ice cream; the office is beautiful; the company seems to be heading a great direction

Cons

Some events have to be cut down due to budget; some employees are stuck on what the company used to be and are not so happy about changes

Really good company culture

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive salaries - Great benefits (401k match, free lunches, happy hours, etc.) - Awesome people and fun to work there - Really nice office (look it up online)

Cons

- They are not closing the office during Christmas and New Years Eve anymore...I don't think it was the right decision.

Advice to Management

Close the office during Christmas and New Years Eve like it used to be and always try to preserve the awesome corporate culture we have. Even though it will cost you some money, you will get it back in employee loyalty. Other than that, management is really good!

7. Start-up mentality, good benefits

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Demand operates several platforms so I can't speak for each and every experience, however, my experience thus far has been great! Demand has the structure and stability of a corporate work environment - but makes for a start-up culture since each site continues to evolve. Employees are welcomed to take initiatives and strides towards business improvements. Upward growth is always an option as long as you keep your eyes on the prize, vocalize your career goals to your management, and work hard to get there. The benefits are good. The culture is fun and considerate. The company has an awesome facilities team that is ready and willing to help you with any office request imaginable! We also have informative monthly town halls so the entire staff is kept up to date on the performance of the business as a whole. Win-win's all around.

Cons

I wish there was a bit more collaboration across platforms.

Great culture, startup vibe

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, amenities and perks, and people. Fantastic work life balance and fun culture. We have thirsty Thursdays, catering on Fridays, vast selection of food trucks, fun contests, ping pong tournaments, and more!

Cons

Only con I can think of is that the company took away our vacation days on the week of Christmas - New years. Many tech companies have better vacation policies in general.

9. All-Around Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Content in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Content in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the people to the work environment, Demand Media is a place that cares about is people. The office building is top notch. The people are easily some of the smartest individuals I have ever worked with. Senior leadership is committed to moving our company forward as the industry continues to evolve. Lastly, the benefits are awesome!

Cons

There are a lot of sweets and candy everywhere — I guess this could be viewed as a positive, but it is easy to eat poorly

10. Sr.Accountant

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many career opportunities. Very energetic people. Great team culture. Good benefits. Fun work environment. Ability to make things happen quickly.

Cons

Big employee turnover rate. Lack of communication between departments. The company's stock was not doing well, which always was a concern.

11. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Demand Media is a professional, fun and collaborative environment to work for. Demand offers great benefits, and encourages employees to have a positive work and life balance. We receive great perks like free meals, our pets are allowed to join us at work and many employees get together after work to play different sport activities. The executive team does a great job of finding great talent and building strong teams across every business. To sum it up... Great people, high-performing teams, work/life balance and visionary leadership

Cons

no cons to report

Advice to Management

Management is doing a fantastic job in moving the company towards the right direction. Keep up the great job!

RSS Feed </> Embed