Demand Media

Updated November 17, 2014
3.1

Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 8 reviews)

• Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 5 reviews)

• Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I had an amazing experience during my time at Demand.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

"Demand Media is a company that likes to work hard, play hard" was the cliche motto I was given during my interview - but Demand Media absolutely lived up to it. The environment is incredibly calm and relaxed since facilities does a great job keeping the building lively with events, free food, and music. The engineers I worked with were incredibly smart and experienced and together we managed to accomplish a lot. Once in a while there will be some disaster that requires some solid hours of effort to fix and maintain but it never got in the way of me having a proper work/life balance.

Cons

The perks and management definitely have a bias in favor of the engineers over the non-engineering staff. Not uncommon in this line of work from my experience but it does come up during the holiday Christmas parties when people start drinking too much. It likely explains a lot of the negative reviews here on Glassdoor as well.

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Friendly atmosphere and amazing office culture. Location is nice.

Cons

Management lacks vision and is too incompetent to sustain growth. Too many changing in the leadership, all the co-founders except 1 left. Seems like New CEO Sean is looking to putting most properties up for sale. All the content properties are decline in revenue and traffic.

Should focus on vision for content properties and retaining some great talent otherwise it will decline at quicker pace.

Being a contract writer is no fun

Former Employee - Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You can work as much or as little as you want; If you work as a real employee there it's probably much better than my experience

Cons

Many editors don't understand the subject matter as well as the writers; low pay; rude feedback

Try to use editors who are more knowledgeable about the subject area they are reviewing. I have a masters degree an work professionally in the field I was writing about. Much of the feedback I got made it clear the reviewers didn't understand the topic enough to make these calls. I posted something to this effect on their forum an received a rather rude message that I would be kicked out if I posted something like that again.

Soul-crushing for experienced writers.

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. You work when you want, if there's any worthwhile articles to claim in the areas you're approved for.

Cons

I applied and was accepted as a freelance writer working from home. I was approved to write in four areas. I went into the job with an open mind, despite reading hordes of negative review about the company. The first three months was a learning experience as it takes a while to get used to their style of writing. The copy editors - who not only control your scores but have the final word on whether your article gets accepted or not (read as whether you get paid or not) do not mince words in their criticism. Several editors I worked with were very, very good. But there also were those whose comments always carried a condescending tone. And there were a couple editors who were highly regarded by the company - despite the fact that they made glaring editing errors. By the time I reached the six month mark, my scores were very high but I'd had my fill. The time I was spending researching and writing to turn in a $25 article that wouldn't require a re-write was boiling down to earning less than minimum wage per hour. The pool of articles available to writers dropped as the company lost clients and half of the articles left were un-writeable (i.e., "Top Five Schools to Learn Flooring Installation" and "How to Get in Shape Without Exercising or Dieting"). Even though I'm still technically one of their freelancers, I haven't written an article for them in months. And I never even applied to write for the area I am most knowledgeable in because I ultimately realized neither I nor any of my associates in the industry would ever consult Demand's articles for information.

I wouldn't know where to begin.

Good for freelance work, but drawbacks too...

Former Employee - Writer, Editor, Section Expert
    Former Employee - Writer, Editor, Section Expert

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a freelance writer and section expert at Demand Media. Pros included the flexibility of the work (you could log in and work when you wanted), they pay on time and frequently, and people were generally nice. If you're a budding writer, it's a good way to get paid for creating a body of online work and to perfect your writing.

Cons

This is a content farm. Pay, at least for contract workers, is low with no benefits. This is true especially for the writing and editing jobs. They want the best people but don't want to pay them. The management are nice enough but they always seemed busy and stressed out. Problems with the writers/editors didn't get solved. And, being a contract employee, even as a section expert, you don't feel like you're part of the company.

It was fun while it lasted

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked here for during DM's splash in the market. It was truly an exciting place to work:

- good benefits and pay
    - approachable leadership team of truly good people
    - collaborative culture that focused on taking action
    - focus on empowerment
    - lots of career opportunities -- if you had an idea there was a high likelihood you'd get to do it

Cons

Work/life balance was a challenge. Expectation of the was that you'd put in a lot of hours, and if you weren't doing that you weren't "going big."

Focus at times was also a challenge. There were so many opportunities that as a company we may have chased too many at once.

None. I miss this team!

No respect for writers and inconsistent copy editors

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work whenever and wherever you want -- if there's work

Cons

Writers are expected to be experts but then have to do hours of research for a 400 word article in order to provide sources for every detail. Copy editors are notoriously inconsistent and some are just plain obnoxious. The editing process is punitive towards writers, with little or no give and take. Hostile senior editors on power trips can make the whole thing a nightmare. Beware. Things can go along nicely and then suddenly you'll encounter unreasonable and arbitrary demands from editors. I don't know how this company is still in business. I wouldn't buy its stock.

They don't care so I'm not going to waste my time with advice.

Less than the sum of its parts

Former Employee - Content Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Content Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Really smart people in the domain registrar silo.

Cons

The emphasis on speedy growth led to a lot of really subpar hires at all levels. The worst result was intellectual beheading of the company that turned it into the soulless "content farm" zombie that everybody pounced on. Making eHow crappy was a calculated, foreseeably unwise, business decision.

Founders: never give up control of your company. The money-makers will drive your company into the ground.

DM is struggling

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and Good Perks. Work hours vary a lot, some weeks it can be 50 hours some weeks it can be 35 hours.

Cons

No clear company goal. They are trying to be everywhere in the content business. The senior management is disconnected from the employees. The office managers are only focussed on saving their jobs. Resulting in frequent exodus of good employees

Go back to the drawing board and figure out if the Acquisitions make sense. Grow big by going small. Understand the product lines and its relevance to the company

Great experience as an intern. Did stuff that matters.

Former Employee - Infrastructure in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Treated as a full time / assigned great projects / well stocked kitchen .. great food / excellent culture

Cons

pay for interns not competitive / internship program is not mature yet but will be