Demand Media

Demand Media Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Demand Media Co-founder and Interim CEO Shawn Colo

Shawn Colo

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees (in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunity for personal growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced environment that presented excellent opportunity for personal growth

ConsUndergoing changes in business mode.

Company that respect people and their values

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI have worked as a consultant to the Finance team. I would rate it as one of the best company that i have worked for being an consultant...Manager and coworker respect each other a lot...There is a lot of work that is being done without any kind of micro management...If someone is a sincere and honest person and looking for working on a employer friendly environment, then this is one of the best place to work for in LA.

ConsRumors are always created that the org is going on a different way with respect to the way it is making business.

Great Company and Team's

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsChallenging - Day-to-day you will be challenged working for or at Demand Media.
    Entrepreneurial Environment - Ability to take hold of a product, project or initiative and see it through to the end.
    Great People - Friendly co-workers who will work by you side every day.
    Culture - The culture team does an amazing job of offering many perks and benefits for its employee's

ConsSome Upper Mgmt - A few challenging relationships to manage internally. Really depends upon the team you work for.
    Stale Product? - Worrysome if eHow/Livestrong/Cracked are what they used to be
    Pressure - A lot of pressure to produce results. I personally thrive in that type of environment, but for some it could be a bit much.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Average

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFree lunch Fridays, 401K matching, Tons of company learning sessions to see what is happening in other departments, Fully stocked kitchens, Ability to work-from-home

ConsLike any big company it's all about who your boss is. I interviewed thinking one person would be the boss and this changed two more times before my first day. The person who ended up being my boss was someone who, had I known would be the manager, would have given me serious reservations about taking the job in the first place. Obviously this is an individual problem, not something that will happen to everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake employee concerns more seriously if you want to keep them happier

Downhill after the IPO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun and exciting team working for a common goal (IPO).

ConsPost IPO the magic is gone

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a growth strategy

Unlimited opportunity ahead...patience required....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsGreat perks, good office location (lake view!), friendly management

ConsNot a thriving startup or a staple like Microsoft or Amazon. It's in between and takes patience, but seems to be going in good direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication so we don't have to simply trust so much.

Nice people, hard business

Director of Editorial (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsI really like the people here. Genuinely nice folks. Very pleasant to work with. Trying to grow and change. Open to new ideas.

ConsSaying you want to improve your business is hard when so many people are still playing like (old) business as usual. There were instances where senior execs said they wanted to change but the middle management just wanted to keep pressing forward with the same plan. That was frustrating as I was hired to help make thing better.

Rude CE's, but decent freelance pay.

Content Writer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsHigh rate of pay in comparison to some other companies
    Several topics to apply to
    Flexible hours
    No ghostwriting - your name is tied to your work appearing in some notable publications

ConsCopy editors are rude and self-serving
    Management is frequently incompetent and/or oblivious to issues
    Rewrites significantly decrease your dollar per hour potential

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a checks and balance system implemented for CE's. Good writers leave, because CE's get on power trips, and there is no one to bring them back to earth.

Great Company to Work For (Amazing Culture), No Sure Direction

N/A (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat company culture. Great snacks, 401K matching, amazing team culture events.

ConsNo sure direction of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep staff abreast of what's going on as far as the direction of the company and you will keep great employees on board.

Production Assistant (freelance)

Production Assistant (freelance) (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat corporate culture
    Great Pay
    Great experience
    Fun content to work on
    Great location

ConsTook on multiple roles with little guidance
    Worked as a freelancer, but would have liked my position to have been more full time
    Was expected to do work outside of my workday hours and was not compensated

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider some roles full time versus freelance, develop great employees who you can retain and who can contribute to your company over a long her period of time.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!