Demand Media Reviews

128 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
2.7
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, decent pay, work from home, pays twice a week (in 8 reviews)

• We have beer fridays and free lunch on Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Copy editors are rude and self-serving (in 5 reviews)

• Many editors don't understand the subject matter as well as the writers; low pay; rude feedback (in 4 reviews)

1. Nice Company to Work for

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is very considerate of its freelancers, provides as much work as you can handle in certain categories, and pays promptly twice a week.

Cons

Sometimes things slow down and there's little or nothing to do. However, it usually picks up again. There's ample notice before this happens though. Once you're aware, you can look for something else to do. It's advisable to not rely on one source of income as a freelancer anyway.

Advice to Management

None. Or maybe, more articles.

2. Fun office

Former Intern - Data Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Data Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun office with lots of great, young people. Catered lunch every Friday. Get to interact cross-functionally with members of other teams.

Cons

Product/ service feels a bit on-sided. The company needs to diversify revenue streams.

Do Not Waste Your Time - Believe all the negative reviews here!

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in New York, NY

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Really none - unless you want to take the chance of your article being approved by one of the few copy editors that are actually literate or have any working knowledge of the subject matter.

Cons

The majority of editors are not qualified yet the managerial staff will back them up. They want fluff, not quality.

Advice to Management

A waste of time to give them any advice.

5. Great!

Former Employee - Content Writer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to write and publish content for reputable companies

Cons

Those working for Demand Media are not in it for the money.

Worked in Education for Demand Media

Current Employee - Freelance Education Writer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Freelance Education Writer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

Good topics that seem challenging, but editors often shot me down. I don't think my work was below par.

Cons

As I have read, editors are inconsistent. I would research and write and then often rewrite and many of my articles were rejected with no pay after the second rejection.. I think I made about $1 an hour working for Demand and I have more than 25 years as a researcher/writer and editor and am very particular with my work.

Advice to Management

Not sure.

7. Finance

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

good team work environment
    friendly co-workers
    industry average or better benefits

Cons

lack of direction and vision from the leadership team
    no room for internal growth

Future Uncertain

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dog Friendly, nice facilities and industry average pay/benefits.

Cons

Lack of morale and vision: I worked there when CEO, Richard Rosenblatt resigned with no real explanation. Soon after came the acquisition of Saatchi Art and their CEO Sean Moriarty, who is the current CEO of DM. The best way I can describe the new company moving into our offices is to compare it to a scene in the movie Apocalypto. Its the moment when their out in the jungle and encounter a group of indian refugees with a look of fear and one of them comes to Jaguar Paw in a dream and utters the word "RUN"

Advice to Management

I feel employees are generally afraid of the new management, which is now mostly former Saatchi employees. Most of the DM mgmt has left of been run out. Saatchi employees seems to be afraid to socialize for fear that they will look like slackers. I had 4 managers in the 2 years I worked there and never felt like someone was keeping tabs on me and what I was doing with my day... until Saatchi arrived. Its not a good feeling when your fast worker that likes to enjoy their day at work and not be glued to their desk

Demand Media Needs Improvement

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Demand Media was the variety of writing assignments. Being able to write about everything from pets to obscure cultural topics was interesting.

Cons

The quality of the editors was not consistent. I would have excellent editors for some projects and those who were barely literate to rate articles. There was also a weird ratings system that tripped me up as a writer. I didn't like the unprofessional behavior of many of the editors.

Advice to Management

Hire editors that are professionals, not those who lack experience and consistency.

TOXIC Culture, AWEFUL leadership, STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great talent (but they are departing), some perks, flex hours, nice office amenities.

Cons

Are you thinking of joining Demand? Do yourself a favor and find another job unless you enjoy working in a toxic environment with unrealistic expectations, unfair practices, blatant discrimination, and a general lack of direction.

Where to start?

Leadership: The clueless new CEO that has done nothing more than "cut costs" which literally translates to massive layoffs. No, I was't laid off, I left on my own terms. The company was already suffering before he took over leadership and has only gone down every since. The first thing he did as a CEO was to put a task-force together to redesign the eHow logo. We're glad you had your priorities straight sir! He is by far the least charismatic leader I have ever came across in a decade of working in tech. most people stopped attending all hands meetings because he never had anything encouraging to say, was not appreciative of the work everyone was doing, and blatantly suggested many timers that "if you don't believe in what we do here, you should leave." REALLY? what did YOU exactly do to create trust in the employees sir?

HR: By far the most unprofessional staff in the entire company. HR is supposed to be the champion of employee rights but since most of the HR employees left and they hired new people, it has turned into a war zone. Not only employees are not heard but they are often met with dismissive and borderline aggressive responses from the very same people that are supposed to be there to mediate and minimize the chances of a legal action against the company but this team does the exact opposite. The way they've handled layoffs and complaints has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and if you dare to speak, they will slam you with a new offensive label. If you are lucky, you get a severance package and are let go. If you are not, they will do everything in their power to force you out of the company. HR staff is on a major power trip and it is known and seen by past and current employees alike. It is truly sad that we've witnessed such disgrace since Richard's departure.

Compensation: The pay is on the lower end of industry standards. Annual raises have become a perk for very few. The worst part is that it is absolutely not clear why those few receive the raises, bonuses, and the promotions. Annual 360 reviews seem to have absolutely no effect on that decision. It really comes down to how threatened your boss is by you and how much are you willing to play down your talents. This is POISON for any creative person and any company in their right minds but right minds are a rare thing when it comes to the leadership at Demand.

Culture: What once was a fun and open environment, has now turned into secret meetings behind closed doors, no transparency, no leadership accountability, favoritism, no clear path to promotion, and a place where great ideas go to die. So it is not surprising that all the top talent is departing the company is droves.

Advice to Management

I am not sure anything anyone says is going to make a difference in how you run the company. Many past employees tried to draw your attention to the toxic culture brewing but all was ignored. Instead you went on a rampage of character assassinations, forced resignations, and unexplained layoffs. With over 80% of your top talent gone, maybe it's time to take a hard look at yourselves and see where you went wrong. Hint: It is NOT how well you handled changes and heard your employees concerns.

Yield Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices in Santa Monica

Cons

Demand has been searching for a winning direction since its IPO stumble after Google's Panda also change. Nothing it threw against the wall stuck in those few years. The sharpest, most engaged senior stakeholders all began to flee, as did many of the most talented managers. The resulting holes were filled by people who are probably more focussed on managing up and building some story around their success.

Advice to Management

Deliver the vision to employees. Nobody knows what the direction is and most are generally scared because the company has been on a steady downward slide for 3 years. Just saying that you have a plan and things will get better after they get worse isn't a winning plan.

RSS Feed </> Embed