Demand Media

Demand Media Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Demand Media Co-founder and Interim CEO Shawn Colo

Shawn Colo

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet(in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees(in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles(in 19 reviews)

Production Assistant (freelance)

Production Assistant (freelance) (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat corporate culture
    Great Pay
    Great experience
    Fun content to work on
    Great location

ConsTook on multiple roles with little guidance
    Worked as a freelancer, but would have liked my position to have been more full time
    Was expected to do work outside of my workday hours and was not compensated

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider some roles full time versus freelance, develop great employees who you can retain and who can contribute to your company over a long her period of time.

Great Place to work at

ProsGreat people to work with and more potential for growth than other companies. We have beer fridays and free lunch on Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen. Management is great and willing to help teach and encourage growth. I think that Demand Media has a great culture and that the people makes the environment a great place to work at.

ConsThe outlook of the company is pretty stagnant.

Entry level online editing - all electronic

Online Titling (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBest place to be for an electronic 1099 position for word gurus. Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal. Great team members. Opportunity to grow. Excellent colleagues who work hard and appreciate the importance of punctuation, grammar and writing integrity.

ConsDemand's HR process does not fit with corporate HR verification process. Since compensation was based on production - if work volume was low, weekly income was affected.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great experience!

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Pros+ Wonderful people
    + Great learning experience
    + Good workflow system
    + A lot of snacks and a loaded fridge

I learned more during my internship at Demand than my current 2 years in university. My mentor was very patient, friendly, and informative, and my coworkers made it a pleasure to come into work everyday. If my schedule permitted, I would have resumed my internship.

Cons- Sometimes I didn't have a clear goal or task

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate your employees with a clear goal or vision

Great team

ProsGreat management team, good culture...

ConsThe business is a bit shaky but improving

I look forward to going to work every day

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat location, awesome coworkers who know how to have fun but can buckle down and get the job done when necessary.

ConsConstantly changing priorities and focus can make it difficult to really assess what's important.

Great Place to Work with Great Benefits!

Visual Designer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsBenefits (medical, vision, dental) are great. Stock options available, at least 2 weeks paid vacation, very laid back atmosphere. New building and great team. Free lunch on Friday. Cereal bar with stocked frig. Many team culture events.

Conspay salary is on the lower end. Like any company there are some politics you want to avoid. Not much of any other cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is lack appreciation of design.

One great experience!

ProsAn excellent company to work for. So much enthusiasm and so many very smart people to work with and to become friends with.

ConsThere are times when we work very long hours - but that is with any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial to add more women to the executive management team. The company is currently a bit "man"-aged.

Relaxed and very chilled people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Pros- free friday lunches
    - wine downs every last friday of the month
    - work hard, play harder
    - awesome benefits
    - a lot of team culture events from hollywood bowl to six flags
    - recognition of hard work
    - company still expanding so opportunities are there if you want to take it.

Cons- they took away the awesome offsite they promised the first year i was here. false advertisement.

Advice to Senior Managementi love my bosses. they work hard and willing to teach. very laid back and when i'm stressed they offer scotch or patrone to help calm me down. always get the problems solved with no finger pointing or blame.

Excellent Job for Independent Contractors

Title Editor (Former Employee)

ProsWork was abundant for first year and a half that I worked there.

ConsWork slowed down to almost nothing and then they closed many departments, including mine in order to move in a new direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive contractors more notice before you end work with them.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!