Demand Media Reviews

Updated August 16, 2014

3.5

Demand Media Co-founder and Interim CEO Shawn Colo
Shawn Colo

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees (in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Freelance Writer

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Could write on whatever topic you chose. Very easy work. Perfect for someone still in school, because you can make it mold your schedule - even the weird hours. The articles were then edited by someone else, who would then approve it or send it back for modification. This was good in maintaining a more consistent quality

Cons

Inconsistent income. Some of the topics were very obscure so there were times I wouldn't be able to write any articles

Great experience as an intern. Did stuff that matters.

Former Employee - Infrastructure  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Treated as a full time / assigned great projects / well stocked kitchen .. great food / excellent culture

Cons

pay for interns not competitive / internship program is not mature yet but will be

Tons of politics, but non managers may have a good time.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Very lax atmosphere. Incredibly flexible hours. Free snacks and drinks. Free catered lunches on Fridays.

Cons

An inordinate amount of politics to navigate. Every department treats itself like a fiefdom that must be appeased before anything can get done.

Requests for normal information or equipment can take months (or longer) to be responded to, even if it is mission critical.

Many departments and staff have a "lob it over the wall " mentality where their goal is just to pass off a problem so they don't have to deal with it with little care about whether it is resolved or not.

A huge amount of turnover in some departments (over 50%) in a short period of time.

Remove the roadblocks that prevent people from doing their jobs. Listen to the examples given of red tape and do something about it instead of just telling people to "find a way" as lately that "way" is to move on to another company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity for personal growth

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced environment that presented excellent opportunity for personal growth

Cons

Undergoing changes in business mode.

Pretty Average

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch Fridays, 401K matching, Tons of company learning sessions to see what is happening in other departments, Fully stocked kitchens, Ability to work-from-home

Cons

Like any big company it's all about who your boss is. I interviewed thinking one person would be the boss and this changed two more times before my first day. The person who ended up being my boss was someone who, had I known would be the manager, would have given me serious reservations about taking the job in the first place. Obviously this is an individual problem, not something that will happen to everyone.

Take employee concerns more seriously if you want to keep them happier

Company that respect people and their values

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I have worked as a consultant to the Finance team. I would rate it as one of the best company that i have worked for being an consultant...Manager and coworker respect each other a lot...There is a lot of work that is being done without any kind of micro management...If someone is a sincere and honest person and looking for working on a employer friendly environment, then this is one of the best place to work for in LA.

Cons

Rumors are always created that the org is going on a different way with respect to the way it is making business.

Downhill after the IPO

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

Fun and exciting team working for a common goal (IPO).

Cons

Post IPO the magic is gone

Get a growth strategy

Great Company and Team's

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging - Day-to-day you will be challenged working for or at Demand Media.
    Entrepreneurial Environment - Ability to take hold of a product, project or initiative and see it through to the end.
    Great People - Friendly co-workers who will work by you side every day.
    Culture - The culture team does an amazing job of offering many perks and benefits for its employee's

Cons

Some Upper Mgmt - A few challenging relationships to manage internally. Really depends upon the team you work for.
    Stale Product? - Worrysome if eHow/Livestrong/Cracked are what they used to be
    Pressure - A lot of pressure to produce results. I personally thrive in that type of environment, but for some it could be a bit much.

Nice people, hard business

Former Employee - Director of Editorial  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Editorial in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really like the people here. Genuinely nice folks. Very pleasant to work with. Trying to grow and change. Open to new ideas.

Cons

Saying you want to improve your business is hard when so many people are still playing like (old) business as usual. There were instances where senior execs said they wanted to change but the middle management just wanted to keep pressing forward with the same plan. That was frustrating as I was hired to help make thing better.

Unlimited opportunity ahead...patience required....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks, good office location (lake view!), friendly management

Cons

Not a thriving startup or a staple like Microsoft or Amazon. It's in between and takes patience, but seems to be going in good direction.

More communication so we don't have to simply trust so much.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!