Demand Media

Updated October 13, 2014
3.3

Sean Moriarty
1 Rating

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 8 reviews)

• Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been positive

Current Employee - Film Maker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Film Maker in New York, NY

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I'm usually paid within a week of submitting my pieces. DM contacts are friendly, helpful and professional. Ive always been more of a producer but I've become a better shooter since working as a filmmaker w/ Demand. Their feedback is usually solid.

Cons

Requirement information is not always consistent, Sometimes 2 people in authority can tell me opposite info in a 5 minute span. The pay is pretty low. And the network is not as dependable as it could be.

From my end its flowing rather well. Talent Producers dont seem to have any casting-talent- or producing experience so it makes it hard for filmmakers sometimes. Pay incentives for pieces that require no edits would be nice - Since the pay is low it would show appreciation for professionals who do it right the first time.

I look forward to going to work every day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, awesome coworkers who know how to have fun but can buckle down and get the job done when necessary.

Cons

Constantly changing priorities and focus can make it difficult to really assess what's important.

Great People to work with

Current Employee - Freelance Videographer
    Current Employee - Freelance Videographer

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow my career

Cons

contract payment on the low side

Nice facilities and a creative environment

I worked at Demand Media as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Stocked kitchen, new offices, great environment

Cons

troubling ethical issues about the pay for writers

Great Place to Work with Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits (medical, vision, dental) are great. Stock options available, at least 2 weeks paid vacation, very laid back atmosphere. New building and great team. Free lunch on Friday. Cereal bar with stocked frig. Many team culture events.

Cons

pay salary is on the lower end. Like any company there are some politics you want to avoid. Not much of any other cons.

There is lack appreciation of design.

Good people, good perks, but undisciplined operations

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

I was at Demand for a few years. Overall the people were great--personable, knowledgeable, and good to work with. And the office experience was good. The perks were wonderful and the work I had was for the most part fun and provided good opportunities for learning and growth. They were also great with flexible hours and working from home, which was a huge help with child care and more.

Cons

Despite all these pluses, after 14 years in IT operations Demand Media has, hands-down, one of the most politics-laden and mismanaged operations environments I've ever seen... Chronically random enterprise environments, operations groups that rarely communicated with each other (and in a few cases even flatly refused to), random layoffs with virtually no consideration for the operational support holes left behind in the process, and more. At least once while I was there an entire dev ops team supporting one of their bigger products was restructured by one manager--existing people abruptly let go and replaced with people he wanted, and the environment restructured with little or input from other operations teams or business units. I was once even ordered to stop work on a project (which everyone agreed was badly needed and which eventually became one of the company's standard operations support tools) because, I was told, it's success was making my boss's boss look bad politically (he had been given budget to do the same thing and hadn't made significant progress). The company's customer-facing downtime reflects this sort of thing. Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options. But as of this writing the stock is $2/share lower than it was at this time last year and barely 1/4 of what it was when the company went public 2 1/2 years ago. While I was there these things and more were taking their toll on many operations and dev personnel and turnover rates were significant.

As a company Demand Media has promise and the managers I had contact with were mostly great people. But the company is essentially a corporate equivalent of a bright, but undisciplined adolescent who although gifted, needs to learn how to clean his room and do his chores. They will never be World Class unless they start managing their people, policies, and operations according to World Class rules.

For the right person, a great opportunity. Fit is everything here.

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people who care about their employees as people.

Cons

Opportunities seemed unnecessarily limited. Hard to sink your teeth into it when there are so many stakeholders. Didn't focus enough on developing people, although, there are good people in the org who will take you under their wing. Too many cracks to fall through, perhaps.

Align teams with strategic initiatives, deliver ownership and vision down the chain. All hands are nice, but disconnected from ground operations. Work on defragmenting some of the org chart/teams.

One great experience!

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An excellent company to work for. So much enthusiasm and so many very smart people to work with and to become friends with.

Cons

There are times when we work very long hours - but that is with any job.

It would be beneficial to add more women to the executive management team. The company is currently a bit "man"-aged.

Relaxed and very chilled people to work with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- free friday lunches
    - wine downs every last friday of the month
    - work hard, play harder
    - awesome benefits
    - a lot of team culture events from hollywood bowl to six flags
    - recognition of hard work
    - company still expanding so opportunities are there if you want to take it.

Cons

- they took away the awesome offsite they promised the first year i was here. false advertisement.

i love my bosses. they work hard and willing to teach. very laid back and when i'm stressed they offer scotch or patrone to help calm me down. always get the problems solved with no finger pointing or blame.

Excellent Job for Independent Contractors

Former Employee - Title Editor
    Former Employee - Title Editor

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work was abundant for first year and a half that I worked there.

Cons

Work slowed down to almost nothing and then they closed many departments, including mine in order to move in a new direction.

Give contractors more notice before you end work with them.