Demand Media

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees (in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice facilities and a creative environment

I worked at Demand Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Stocked kitchen, new offices, great environment

Cons

troubling ethical issues about the pay for writers

Great Place to Work with Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Visual Designer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits (medical, vision, dental) are great. Stock options available, at least 2 weeks paid vacation, very laid back atmosphere. New building and great team. Free lunch on Friday. Cereal bar with stocked frig. Many team culture events.

Cons

pay salary is on the lower end. Like any company there are some politics you want to avoid. Not much of any other cons.

There is lack appreciation of design.

Good people, good perks, but undisciplined operations

I worked at Demand Media

Pros

I was at Demand for a few years. Overall the people were great--personable, knowledgeable, and good to work with. And the office experience was good. The perks were wonderful and the work I had was for the most part fun and provided good opportunities for learning and growth. They were also great with flexible hours and working from home, which was a huge help with child care and more.

Cons

Despite all these pluses, after 14 years in IT operations Demand Media has, hands-down, one of the most politics-laden and mismanaged operations environments I've ever seen... Chronically random enterprise environments, operations groups that rarely communicated with each other (and in a few cases even flatly refused to), random layoffs with virtually no consideration for the operational support holes left behind in the process, and more. At least once while I was there an entire dev ops team supporting one of their bigger products was restructured by one manager--existing people abruptly let go and replaced with people he wanted, and the environment restructured with little or input from other operations teams or business units. I was once even ordered to stop work on a project (which everyone agreed was badly needed and which eventually became one of the company's standard operations support tools) because, I was told, it's success was making my boss's boss look bad politically (he had been given budget to do the same thing and hadn't made significant progress). The company's customer-facing downtime reflects this sort of thing. Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options. But as of this writing the stock is $2/share lower than it was at this time last year and barely 1/4 of what it was when the company went public 2 1/2 years ago. While I was there these things and more were taking their toll on many operations and dev personnel and turnover rates were significant.

As a company Demand Media has promise and the managers I had contact with were mostly great people. But the company is essentially a corporate equivalent of a bright, but undisciplined adolescent who although gifted, needs to learn how to clean his room and do his chores. They will never be World Class unless they start managing their people, policies, and operations according to World Class rules.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

For the right person, a great opportunity. Fit is everything here.

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people who care about their employees as people.

Cons

Opportunities seemed unnecessarily limited. Hard to sink your teeth into it when there are so many stakeholders. Didn't focus enough on developing people, although, there are good people in the org who will take you under their wing. Too many cracks to fall through, perhaps.

Align teams with strategic initiatives, deliver ownership and vision down the chain. All hands are nice, but disconnected from ground operations. Work on defragmenting some of the org chart/teams.

One great experience!

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An excellent company to work for. So much enthusiasm and so many very smart people to work with and to become friends with.

Cons

There are times when we work very long hours - but that is with any job.

It would be beneficial to add more women to the executive management team. The company is currently a bit "man"-aged.

Relaxed and very chilled people to work with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- free friday lunches
    - wine downs every last friday of the month
    - work hard, play harder
    - awesome benefits
    - a lot of team culture events from hollywood bowl to six flags
    - recognition of hard work
    - company still expanding so opportunities are there if you want to take it.

Cons

- they took away the awesome offsite they promised the first year i was here. false advertisement.

i love my bosses. they work hard and willing to teach. very laid back and when i'm stressed they offer scotch or patrone to help calm me down. always get the problems solved with no finger pointing or blame.

Excellent Job for Independent Contractors

Former Employee - Title Editor
    Former Employee - Title Editor

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Work was abundant for first year and a half that I worked there.

Cons

Work slowed down to almost nothing and then they closed many departments, including mine in order to move in a new direction.

Give contractors more notice before you end work with them.

Pretty good

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

There are some great people, depending on the on the team you get assigned to. Friday catered lunches, team culture activities.

Cons

Job security can be unstable. A lot of turnover. Product tied to SEO which mean google can and will turn off the faucet at will.

Try out new ideas. Listen to R&D. Diversify.

Great Experience

Current Employee - R&D  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - R&D in Austin, TX

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful HR and Company Culture

Cons

Limited ability to move up.

Provide better advancement opportunities.

The environment is friendly. You can tell it's still trying to build a foundation for its online properties.

Former Employee - Editorial New Media Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial New Media Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working alongside hardworking people who wanna make something out of the company.

Cons

Could do better in building their platform as an online media company.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!