Demand Media Reviews

Reset
3.1
Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, decent pay, work from home, pays twice a week (in 8 reviews)

• We have beer fridays and free lunch on Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Copy editors are rude and self-serving (in 5 reviews)

• Many editors don't understand the subject matter as well as the writers; low pay; rude feedback (in 4 reviews)

1. Content Marketing Manager Interview

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (Less than a year)

Pros

I had one phone interview with a recruiter and another phone interview with the hiring manager before coming in for an in-person interview with other staff members which was about 2 hour long or so. Everyone was always pleasant and easy to deal with and although I probably met with a lot of people than normally, I loved having a member of their HR / Talent Acquisition Team come in during the interview and offered honest feedback on my people skills as well as gauge how happy I would be personally here, not just about the job duties. It was a refreshing break that made me feel that this company cares about their employees well-being too, & that they care about who you are as a person & your attitude too -- not just whether you can do the job but whether you would be a cool person to have in their office (which is a beautiful space). I was also notified immediately after the interview that I got the job -- so I was a huge fan of the not-waiting-around sweating / overthinking about my responses stage. Everyone was really nice at Demand, down to earth, and transparent about the position, company culture, and what's expected of the job.

Cons

After I applied online, it took a recruiter a few weeks to get in touch with me and then the hiring manager at Demand another few weeks from there. By the time I made it to the in-person interview it was a month since I applied. But I'm not one of those people who just sit around & wait for one co / offer / position during the job hunt process so I didn't mind. However I can see how someone who had high hopes or who was placed with another job during the interim would find it annoying. The waiting for interviews to be coordinated process, I suppose then, is a con. But I imagine that's because they have a lot of applicants to sift through. Otherwise, great experience with the interviews itself.

Advice to Management

Thanks for hiring me! :)

2. Amazing team and good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the employees are positive, fun, nice, and encouraging; there are a TON of snacks, including a candy lane and ice cream; the office is beautiful; the company seems to be heading a great direction

Cons

Some events have to be cut down due to budget; some employees are stuck on what the company used to be and are not so happy about changes

Really good company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive salaries - Great benefits (401k match, free lunches, happy hours, etc.) - Awesome people and fun to work there - Really nice office (look it up online)

Cons

- They are not closing the office during Christmas and New Years Eve anymore...I don't think it was the right decision.

Advice to Management

Close the office during Christmas and New Years Eve like it used to be and always try to preserve the awesome corporate culture we have. Even though it will cost you some money, you will get it back in employee loyalty. Other than that, management is really good!

5. All-Around Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Content in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Content in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

From the people to the work environment, Demand Media is a place that cares about is people. The office building is top notch. The people are easily some of the smartest individuals I have ever worked with. Senior leadership is committed to moving our company forward as the industry continues to evolve. Lastly, the benefits are awesome!

Cons

There are a lot of sweets and candy everywhere — I guess this could be viewed as a positive, but it is easy to eat poorly

6. Love the energy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a team who are energized to make an impact. I love the passion everyone on my team has. We have a lot of new employees - nice to work side-by-side with so many smart people!

Cons

People on the outside looking in have many perceived perceptions of Demand Media based on historical data. New mgt, new team... new beginnings.

7. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Demand Media is a professional, fun and collaborative environment to work for. Demand offers great benefits, and encourages employees to have a positive work and life balance. We receive great perks like free meals, our pets are allowed to join us at work and many employees get together after work to play different sport activities. The executive team does a great job of finding great talent and building strong teams across every business. To sum it up... Great people, high-performing teams, work/life balance and visionary leadership

Cons

no cons to report

Advice to Management

Management is doing a fantastic job in moving the company towards the right direction. Keep up the great job!

8. Positive Outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

It's great to be surrounded by dedicated, hard-working, innovative individuals to motivate yourself to be equally as strong. A true collaborative environment where employees are encouraged to share ideas. Company provides lot of perks: never a shortage of food or drink, weekly happy hours, pet-friendly environment. Compensation and benefits are competitive.

Cons

A lot of changes within the organization.... people leaving and people being hired. Not really a con, as this would be expected with new management. But let's hope the dust settles soon.

Advice to Management

Transparency and Communication is key.

Very fun place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place with lots of room to grow and move up in your career. People there tend to be extremely nice and friendly.

Cons

Can be stressful at times, but that's the nature of the beast. Definitely not unique to Demand Media. All an all great place to be

Had the innovation going, but got a bit too careful

Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Demand Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Striving for more traffic was always at the core of the ethos. Growth and innovation were very important, but the growth slowed and ideas seemed to slow at the same rate. Careful is fine, but won't bring break-out growth.

Cons

Lots of good, very smart people have moved on to more exciting companies interested in growing to allow them to continue to learn and innovate.

Advice to Management

Take some new risks and use the data to innovate, not just tweak and tune endlessly.

What was I thinking...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

The company feeds their employees weekly on Fridays and makes any excuse to have a social occasion in order to spend money and not work.

Cons

Some staff have passed their prime with the passion of the company and make their own hours should leave or be let go. Disorganized HR/People Organization department. Too many "Chiefs" and not enough "Indians" in several departments and groups in order to get things done.

Advice to Management

Hire educated Senior Executives that are actually qualified in their designated fields and not "friends" of the CEO...

RSS Feed </> Embed