DemandTec

Dan Fishback

Technical Support

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Mateo, CA

I worked at DemandTec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Support of other team members is high.

Cons

Not alot of default scripts to work from.

More collaboration and information sharing.

Very R&D intensive company in a new field

I worked at DemandTec

Pros

The company invests heavily in the science for the development, improvement and refinement of its software in what is still an emerging field with a lot of work left to be done.

The jobs pay well. Sure, some in Silli Valley pay more but most jobs aren't in Silli Valley.

If you can meet your personal Management By Objective bogeys, they don't care too much how you do them

Cons

Product management and engineering gets sidetracked by the "I just heard we must have X feature yesterday" input from members of the marketing and sales departments. Marketing is more guilty of this. Some of those marketing people are led around by the nose by people at Gartner, AMR, and the customer visit of the week. There is rarely, if ever, an immediate or compelling competitive imperative.

Take the time to make a great product excellent. Don't listen to the input of 500 random looky lous.

Bad experience doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad company.

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at DemandTec full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, great work environment, they were recently acquired by IBM.
    Lots of snacks and recreation opportunities are available.
    Plenty of fun team building activities.

Cons

The core product is very hard to use, so much so that I've talk to customers since I left that told me they hated using it.
    It's and even more difficult product to develop.
    Development schedules are unobtainable.
    Their system setup is a a cluster **** of databases, and in order to get anything done you have to use a two to three tier access to each table, and that access right seems to rotate on a daily basis.
    Typical day is having 8 hours of work to do, and four hours of meetings scheduled.
    Micromanagement is part of the culture.

Lighten up and don't be so judgmental, you're supposed to be supportive of your workers and help them get their task accomplish.
    Cut back on the meetings, and stop taking every aspect of the Agile method so literally, it's meant as a guideline, not a bible.

Work with the smartest people on the planet

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at DemandTec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart team, very interesting work, excellent customers, travel is actually pretty fantastic locations.

Cons

Hard work, long hours, lots of travel, IBM acquisition slowed things down.

Used to be fun

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DemandTec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing product, it's great to be rubbing shoulders with Stanford Ph.Ds and Math wizards (Ok, some of them)

Cons

Depends on your group. The guy I work for thinks he is God send for all technologies, "What did you do for me TODAY" is his attitude. Doesn't care to nurture employee career, he promotes his own rear and is very successful. Amazingly shrewd politician. There are only a few of these kind

Between Culhane and Fishback, they allocated themselves stocks day in and day out, diluted the value and sold out cheap.

Don' be penny wise, pound foolish. IBM has taken over, agreed, but don't cut on the small perks like snacks and beverages, you idiots.

Great people to get along, flexible schedule, good work-life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at DemandTec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, good work-life balance

Cons

coworks are all of geek type.

Ok, place to work.

I worked at DemandTec

Pros

Great Engineers, cool ideas and product offerings, but bad execution.

Cons

Company lacks technical leadership. It is mostly a sales and services company that develops software after the fact. Over the years, upper technical leadership has changed many, many, many times. Each change brings new issues and challenges.

Stabilize engineering leadership across all product offerings.

Demandtec very nice place to work, business objectives need to be met more effectively

I worked at DemandTec

Pros

the employee base is incredible as far as being highly communicative, colloaborative with each other. Most of the employees are genuine, honest, hardworking, and eager to make the firm successful

Cons

THe senior management really needs to be shaken up to some degree. The firm is not always proactive, but at time reactive to situations in the market

I would highly recommend that the firm look at several spots within the organization and change them to find more effective, experienced folks

Imagine what would happen if Sales ran the Engineering department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DemandTec

Pros

* Flexible work hours
    * Collegial work environment
    * Dedicated employees
    * Intellectually stimulating work
    * Nice professional building, close to Caltrains, restaurants, shopping

Cons

* No more free food or snacks. Earlier posters mentioned that this was a plus, but this is no longer true, unless you like oatmeal, burritos, and ramen
    * No understanding of engineering principles or good software design.
    * Too many features squeezed into every release
    * No use cases or requirements. Or if you do get them, they aren't finalized until very late into the release.
    * Priorities are constantly changing because there is no long-term vision or planning. We are very reactive to customers' needs.
    * Innovation and quality are not priorities because we are too busy trying to please the customer with short-term fixes versus building a long-term solution
    * Non-technical leadership dictates how things should be done, even if the approach doesn't make sense
    * Dissenting voices are silenced either through lay-offs or are frozen out until they leave. If you want to stay here long-term, learn to nod, smile, and say "yes" to everything.

* Hire someone with true technical leadership and respect his/her voice. Our management team are all non-technical, yet we are supposed to be a SaaS company. Our current software problems are a direct result of a general lack of respect for engineering.
    * Realize band-aids aren't solutions. It is better to take an extra release to do something right. Is it really better to release a sub-par feature just to say we have it? We do this nearly every time, and we end up eventually ripping it out when the band-aid doesn't work.
    * Learn to manage customer expectations and say "no" once in a while.
    * Learn to tolerate dissension. It is easier to surround yourself with "yes" men, but you build a better organization when you have more viewpoints. People with different views should not be branded as "difficult" or "not getting it". They may have legitimate points, and want the company to succeed just as much as you do.

Don't work here

I have been working at DemandTec

Pros

Some exceptional talent.
    Free snacks and drinks
    Onsite gym

There are some very smart engineers I work with that can get jobs anywhere else. Why they choose to stay employed here is a beyond my comprehension.

Cons

This company is experiencing brain drain. A lot of very talented people have left. Rewards goes to those that do not disagree with management's view of the future. If you wish to get ahead; agree with everything that is being said, do not voice your opinion, and make sure you are willing to work almost every day to meet your objectives.

Listen to your employees. If they are complaining, there's a reason. Be willing to listen to opinions of your employees. They know the inner workings of the product a lot better than you.