Dematic

Updated December 30, 2014
2.8

Dematic President and CEO John Baysore
John Baysore

Pros
  • Grand Rapids can be nice place to live (in 5 reviews)

• There are good people who work really hard and want to do a good job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant supervisor changes, at least once a year because upper management doesn't like them telling them how to improves production issues (in 4 reviews)

• what you had told was what was sold and when the customer is upset, you, not sales or a project manager, will have to work it out (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of professional people and very satisfying to see a successful project.

Cons

Long hours, lots of redundancy, slow to change.

Spend more time with training and standardization.

This is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New Berlin, WI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New Berlin, WI

I have been working at Dematic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great team environment
    -Interns do the same work as full time employees
    -Great learning experience with very formal and informative training

Cons

-Some downtime for interns in between projects

Keep doing what you are doing, company is very good

This is a review coming from someone straight out of college. Worked as an applications engineer.

I worked at Dematic

Pros

Dematic has great people and not to mention Grand Rapids has to be one of the nicest places to live in michigan.

Cons

Travel is mostly the only down side. Don't get me wrong traveling is nice occasionally but it can get to be alot. But traveling = money.

Experience counts and Dematic is where you will get a whole lot of it.

Current Employee - Mechanical Systems Engineer II (SDG) in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Systems Engineer II (SDG) in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 8 years starting out in Sydney, Australia and have been at our American HQ in Grand Rapids for a year now and there are definite pro's for working at Dematic. Working as an engineer in a sales support role has a lot of variety in design work, and I have been given the opportunity to try out other positions for a week or two between peak workloads. The company pays well and will definitely look after you if you consider taking a position temporarily abroad (Australia, China, UK, Germany, for example where we have Regional HQs). The after hours social interaction is great too and there are a lot of opportunities to meet new people via the Grand Rapids Sports and Social Club, lunching in the cafeteria on site, working out in the fitness centre, or just socialising with work friends for happy hour. The company responds to employee suggestions proactively and does some great work with local charities. People are willing to help if you have questions (which you will have a lot of when you first start out).

Cons

With the size of the company, there is a large hierarchy, which while it gives you a lot of growth opportunities, it does have a little bit of a disconnect from top to bottom, but i have seen some definite improvements with this over time. Some deadlines with customers can get ridiculous and you get stressed out occasionally, but that is really the joys of full-time work.

Make yourself visual to the employees by working in some of the groups from time to time and seeing the stresses, the pro's and con's to processes, and then build up visions, strategies, targets and processes from that. (eg: go out commissioning, build some conveyor in the shop, go on the odd sales call to customers during planning and design phases). I've heard this has done a lot for A) employee morale (as it looks like management cares about every role in the company and you can get direct feedback), B) process improvement (because with a company this large, change is easier to be made when it comes from the top down) and C) Gives management better experience to back up the numbers and feedback that you get through standard lines of communication. Back in Sydney office we had an issue with silos between different groups and I can see a bit of that happening here (even between different middle managers). Sydney seems to have worked through a majority of those issues there and it made it an easier working environment. In the end we are all one big team and we can all make each others lives easier, it's all for the better.

Perfect for right out of college.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work for Dematic, I would have to say is co-workers. This is a great company to work for and everyone is very helpful and laid back. The company is also very flexible and very understanding.

Cons

The only thing I can say is the company has a lot of products and it can seem overwhelming in the beginning.

I would have to say keep doing what you are doing. So far I have no complaints about management.

Positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Make an effort to communicate with employees and improve our level of job satisfication

Cons

Changes are a work in progress

Consider various work from home scenarios for certain positions.

Talent goes unnoticed, appreciated...and then to other companies.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in New Berlin, WI
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in New Berlin, WI

I worked at Dematic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is overtime pay for about 90 hours / 2 weeks. However, actually getting those hours is a tricky feat.

Cons

Professional talent goes very overlooked, if not stepped on. Project delegation assignment priority is based on years of experience, not competence.

Take an inventory of what your team is really good at, and you will discover that you are pushing the wrong people in the wrong direction. If you would recognize your employees strong suits and delegate project tasks accordingly, there would be lower employee turnover.

Good

Current Employee - Simulation Consultant
    Current Employee - Simulation Consultant

I have been working at Dematic as a contractor

Pros

Challenging projects with good pay

Cons

I was not with Dematic long enough to discover cons

No advice

A growing and fun company to work at.

I have been working at Dematic

Pros

The company welcomes new people, you don't feel like a second class citizen because you are new.

Cons

Benefits for reserves/guard are terrible - company policies are hostile to current deserve or guard. Deployment? You'll go bankrupt if you use their benefits. You will also need to apply for your job when you return. They keep to the minimum requirements of the law.

The company's reserve/guard policies are just wrong.

Overall great experience.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Dematic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As an engineer, you will learn a ton and can apply it to many other industries. You will also learn a lot on how to be a strong project leader.

Cons

The travel can be a bit much at times, but it is a nice way to break up the monotony. A lot of the jobsites are out in the middle of nowhere though.

Keep leading by example. The upcoming younger generation needs to continue to see that type of leadership.