Dematic

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dematic President and CEO John Baysore

John Baysore

This is a great company to work for!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New Berlin, WI

Pros-Great team environment
    -Interns do the same work as full time employees
    -Great learning experience with very formal and informative training

Cons-Some downtime for interns in between projects

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, company is very good

This is a review coming from someone straight out of college. Worked as an applications engineer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDematic has great people and not to mention Grand Rapids has to be one of the nicest places to live in michigan.

ConsTravel is mostly the only down side. Don't get me wrong traveling is nice occasionally but it can get to be alot. But traveling = money.

Experience counts and Dematic is where you will get a whole lot of it.

Mechanical Systems Engineer II (SDG) (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsI've been with the company for 8 years starting out in Sydney, Australia and have been at our American HQ in Grand Rapids for a year now and there are definite pro's for working at Dematic. Working as an engineer in a sales support role has a lot of variety in design work, and I have been given the opportunity to try out other positions for a week or two between peak workloads. The company pays well and will definitely look after you if you consider taking a position temporarily abroad (Australia, China, UK, Germany, for example where we have Regional HQs). The after hours social interaction is great too and there are a lot of opportunities to meet new people via the Grand Rapids Sports and Social Club, lunching in the cafeteria on site, working out in the fitness centre, or just socialising with work friends for happy hour. The company responds to employee suggestions proactively and does some great work with local charities. People are willing to help if you have questions (which you will have a lot of when you first start out).

ConsWith the size of the company, there is a large hierarchy, which while it gives you a lot of growth opportunities, it does have a little bit of a disconnect from top to bottom, but i have seen some definite improvements with this over time. Some deadlines with customers can get ridiculous and you get stressed out occasionally, but that is really the joys of full-time work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself visual to the employees by working in some of the groups from time to time and seeing the stresses, the pro's and con's to processes, and then build up visions, strategies, targets and processes from that. (eg: go out commissioning, build some conveyor in the shop, go on the odd sales call to customers during planning and design phases). I've heard this has done a lot for A) employee morale (as it looks like management cares about every role in the company and you can get direct feedback), B) process improvement (because with a company this large, change is easier to be made when it comes from the top down) and C) Gives management better experience to back up the numbers and feedback that you get through standard lines of communication. Back in Sydney office we had an issue with silos between different groups and I can see a bit of that happening here (even between different middle managers). Sydney seems to have worked through a majority of those issues there and it made it an easier working environment. In the end we are all one big team and we can all make each others lives easier, it's all for the better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Perfect for right out of college.

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe best reason to work for Dematic, I would have to say is co-workers. This is a great company to work for and everyone is very helpful and laid back. The company is also very flexible and very understanding.

ConsThe only thing I can say is the company has a lot of products and it can seem overwhelming in the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have to say keep doing what you are doing. So far I have no complaints about management.

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsMake an effort to communicate with employees and improve our level of job satisfication

ConsChanges are a work in progress

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider various work from home scenarios for certain positions.

Overall great experience.

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsAs an engineer, you will learn a ton and can apply it to many other industries. You will also learn a lot on how to be a strong project leader.

ConsThe travel can be a bit much at times, but it is a nice way to break up the monotony. A lot of the jobsites are out in the middle of nowhere though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep leading by example. The upcoming younger generation needs to continue to see that type of leadership.

Working at Dematic was a good opportunity to work in a professional environment.

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe company was well managed. Employees are treated at professionals with little micro-managing.

ConsThe company was not sensitive to employee issues, meaning very quick to layoff when the markets had down turns.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has gone through multiple layoffs, leaving only seasoned professionals. They need to fill in with younger talent to fill in when the seasoned professionals begin to retire.

Great real world experience, headed in the right direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall a good company, constantly working to make things more efficient and better for everyone in the company while putting the customer first.

ConsCommunication, as customer orders pile on the building process does not happen as fast as what is guaranteed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard.

Extremely positive, professional inside and out

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, products and management

ConsLarge company processes often get in the way of creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the avenues of communication to your employees and learn about their frustrations. Invoke more fun into the day to day life of each and every employee.

Best Place to work as a Electrical Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI if you like to travel

ProsIs good in general, if you like to travel

Conswe need more parking spots

Worked for Dematic? Contribute to the Community!