Dematic

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dematic President and CEO John Baysore

John Baysore

Confusion and total mismanagement.

Hourly (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsWhen you punch out for the day.

ConsWhere should I begin. Production operators are totally left in the dark on everyday information. Machines are basically obsolete and constantly down. With a grand total of 3 maintenance guys to tend to the issues on 2 ten hour shifts with absolutely no clue how to actually fix the problems because management refuses to spend a dime on updating the machinery. Bottom line of this company is step over a penny to pick up a dollar. Constant supervisor changes, at least once a year because upper management doesn't like them telling them how to improves production issues. Showing the owners they can make a profit at ANY cost to employees is the way of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in your comfy AC office and collect your checks because your irrelevant here.

Like stepping back in time to the confusion of the 80's

Lead Project Engineer (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe administrative portion of the company (HR, Payroll, etc.) was great.

ConsThe organization was a mess. Management was weak and self serving. Upper management instituted policies designed to screw salaried employees out of compensation for mandatory, company scheduled, overtime performed at customer jobsites that the company was billing for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to address overtime issues with office dwellers, resulting from poor management, with a blanket policy affecting those that MUST work overtime because of customer schedule, indicates that you do not know the difference between support staff and those that are the means of production for your product. Wake up!

Great co-workers --- Poor management

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsMy co-workers are the best I have had at any job. Line managers are flexible to employees needs when a family situation arises. You can choose your start and end times within reason. The pay and benefits package is comparable to other local employers. There is a year end bonus. Promotions seem to happen on a regular basis.

ConsSr. Management seems to be completely removed from the day to day reality of life outside their bubble. R-D has had mandatory 50 hour work weeks for 4 months now and no one really seems to know why or when it will end. When the executives are actually in the office, they will go out of their way not to talk to us minions when you pass them in the aisles. Management only seems interested in the all mighty dollar and self promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are getting burned out. People are not numbers tossed around at management's whim, we have families and children who need attention too. The CEO went in the local paper a while back to talk about how great he was, this is NOT motivational to the employees doing the work to make Dematic successful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Dematic was a good opportunity to work in a professional environment.

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe company was well managed. Employees are treated at professionals with little micro-managing.

ConsThe company was not sensitive to employee issues, meaning very quick to layoff when the markets had down turns.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has gone through multiple layoffs, leaving only seasoned professionals. They need to fill in with younger talent to fill in when the seasoned professionals begin to retire.

R&D could be better

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsLots of opportunity with fast paced company in growth cycle. Good benefits, flex time, grand rapids is a nice community wo live and work in.

ConsConstant pressure to meet unreasonable schedules promised by others managment is focused to meet metrics for new product releases and less focused on quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong term plan for product development that does it right the first time. If better planning and processes were followed there would be less over reaction to fix issues skipped previously. Stop over committing or get more resources. Burn out is underway.

Improving over time

ProsGood people to work with.
     Opportunities to improve operation and provide direction for job site.
    I believe that this site will become more online with the rest of the company over time and conditions will improve.

ConsThe site is run on minimum staffing making it difficult to avoid constant overtime.
      I have seen good people frustrated with the lack of upward mobility in both pay and position changes.
     I have noticed that many of the perks of the larger regions are lost on the satellite locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the company culture you want is installed at all company locations and that the training and support for all locations is available. It is important to make sure the employees away from the core locations similar opportunities as those at the home location have access to.

Good for beginners..

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsCo-Workers, product and processes, they really good teams and work culture is good.

Consappraisal is not satisfactory..
    Lot of Travel
    Pay is comparatively less..

Short term focused

Engineering (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThey do offer flextime and are big enough to allow you to switch from one department to the next if you so desire. The vacation time is good if you have worked there a while.

ConsThe company is basically operated to hit short term sales targets. There is a 'fire drill' mentality to put new product to market that causes a lot of issues for employees as well as customers. The bully management style is firmly in place here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink longer term about your business

It's ok but definitely not the company they portray during the interview process

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThere are good people who work really hard and want to do a good job.

ConsManagement is stuck in the dark ages. Advancement is limited if you are not part of "The Club. There is no work/life balance. Very long hours without adequate compensation. There is a disconnect between what HR portrays and what conditions really are.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people are the strength of the organization. Take better care of the people and the organization would be unstoppable.

Planner/Scheduler

Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) Jenks, OK

ProsAbility to help a Team be successful.

ConsManagement does not recognize employees as individuals, only concerned about bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with dignity and respect, provide recognition - reward applicable to performance, if you are going to advertise "Doing the right thing" and "Being Ethical" you should walk the walk.

Worked for Dematic? Contribute to the Community!