Denbury Resources

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014

Denbury Resources CEO Phil Rykhoek
Phil Rykhoek

Great people and benefits, management needs overhaul.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Denbury Resources full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generous time off, benefits, perks, casual dress and very friendly people. Made many friends throughout the company and everyone is willing to help and make you feel welcome.

Cons

Company seriously lacks in qualified managers. I worked 4 years for one of the worst micro-managers there, my department got the pity of everyone, because the boss was so consumed with how many meetings we could have and made us give dissertations on every insignificant detail of our work day so much so that we couldn't do actual work. It was draining and nerve-wracking to face that treatment every day. He lost 5 employees (out of a dept of 6) within a year's time and upper management never acknowledged that something was not right with his practices. Forget going to HR with anything confidential, it's a hot-bed for gossip and what you say to them will come back in tenfolds to bite you, Everyone in the company will warn you of them - they are not an unbiased source for the employees, but more the eyes and ears to share gossip with upper management over trivial matters. In my final year and a half there, things had gotten downright silly.

More training and better screening for managers. The over-staffed HR dept. screens these people for management positions but their screening process is a joke. Just because someone has "P.E." behind their name doesn't qualify and mean they are a good manager.

Great forward-thinking company that is really pushing in the right direction.

Former Employee - Engineering in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in Plano, TX

I worked at Denbury Resources as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Well compensated to handle large projects.
    -Denbury puts a lot of trust in their engineers to make huge decisions.
    -Less hoops to jump through as opposed to larger companies where you feel restricted in your decision making and aren't able to accomplish as much.
    -CO2 EOR leads to really challenging engineering which yields very few dull days.

Cons

There seems to be a disconnect with the company's large financial decisions and their employees. Employees do not understand the real reasons behind these plans making it harder to stand behind the company and trust those making the decisions.

Offer a more thorough finance presentation for those who may not understand this side of things. This will gain more trust and grow a more positive & healthy atmosphere.

Very nice place to work

Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Denbury Resources as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office was great; you don't have to commute a lot; good amount of training.

Cons

Compensation I am not sure? I would like the data management to be better.

Unfair treatment to contractors

Former Employee - Janitor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Janitor in Plano, TX

I worked at Denbury Resources as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is descent and nice building. Most coworkers are nice and pleasant to be around.

Cons

Contractors are treated unfairly. .. you have to buy your food while employees eat free.
    Then when you pay for your food certain employees look at you like your stealing their food in which makes it very uncomfortable for contractors. Seems to be a lot of people being let go. I figure some sort of corporate restructure. Selling a dream to contractors that they will become permanent in which it hardly ever happens. LOTS of nepotism in this company. It's not what you know but who you know to get on permanent here.
    This company must be having financial issues, too many cutbacks.

Better training and hire descent working contractors who deserve the job and stop hiring family members.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

I worked at Denbury Resources full-time

Pros

The Good: Some really great people. Mostly very personable. Don't think I have ever worked around a more pleasant bunch.

Cons

The Bad: An air of competitiveness at the top which is not healthy. Silos in the Asset Teams which speak for other groups without consultation and are seriously wrong. Top Management which turns on positive change work and then walks away.

The Ugly: Pace the work. Accept uncertainty and demand an accounting of it. A hurried golf swing does not work well. A hurried development plan does not either. Spending way too much and getting way too little.

New management not managers at all

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Denbury Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Building is beautiful and cafe is nice but management is clueless.

Cons

Grew too fast without policies and procedures in place

Realize that high turnover = problem with management! Look at your managers before you let another asset walk out.

Great Company

I have been working at Denbury Resources full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, benifits, company values, relaxed atmoshphere, and we all get along.

Cons

Management needs some help, and some people are paid high salaries and are not working as hard as they should.

Supply Chain- Worst Job EVER!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Plano, TX

I have been working at Denbury Resources full-time

Pros

I dont see any pro's. The company used to have work life balance until the last year and a half.

Cons

Terrible choice in hire, pure drama. In desperate need of new management. Management micro manages so much you spend more time showing them what you're doing rather than actually working. Company has taken a terrible turn for the worse. No work life balance. Worst job ever!! You have to brown nose to the extreme to get anywhere in this company.

Take classes on ethics and get some morals. Stop promoting people who have no business being promoted.

Denbury is a Great Place to Be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Denbury Resources full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Denbury is a great place to work, compared to other companies that I've worked at in the past it is a dream! My Manager gives me the tools I need to succeed in my position, while giving me the freedom to do my work and accomplish my goals without being micro-managed. The compensation and benefits at Denbury are excellent and well above average for this area. The company offers a flexible work schedule, gives back to the community by sponsoring charitable events and recognizes employees for a job well done.

Cons

The company is small-to-mid sized so there are opportunities for advancement, just not as plentiful as larger organizations.

Intially the company was great, but it has taken a negative downward spiral

I have been working at Denbury Resources full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, 9/80 schedule is great, decent pay, free breakfast and lunch

Cons

Managers only promote if you kiss up to them, mgr inqures too much of employees' personal life, mgrs are bullies and don't want you to excel in the company. Mgrs don't encourage upward movement in the company. Also, mgr are not good mentors, will smile in your face and backstab you if you don't kiss up to them.

Train mgmt to properly mentor staff and be more direct with staff. Remove the factor of being too personal. We must work and have a great working relationship, but mgmt gets caught up with too much gossip and some things could easily taken to HR for further action.