Denbury Resources

Denbury Resources CEO Phil Rykhoek

Phil Rykhoek

Denbury is a Great Place to Be

Plano, TX

ProsDenbury is a great place to work, compared to other companies that I've worked at in the past it is a dream! My Manager gives me the tools I need to succeed in my position, while giving me the freedom to do my work and accomplish my goals without being micro-managed. The compensation and benefits at Denbury are excellent and well above average for this area. The company offers a flexible work schedule, gives back to the community by sponsoring charitable events and recognizes employees for a job well done.

ConsThe company is small-to-mid sized so there are opportunities for advancement, just not as plentiful as larger organizations.

Intially the company was great, but it has taken a negative downward spiral

ProsFlexible work schedule, 9/80 schedule is great, decent pay, free breakfast and lunch

ConsManagers only promote if you kiss up to them, mgr inqures too much of employees' personal life, mgrs are bullies and don't want you to excel in the company. Mgrs don't encourage upward movement in the company. Also, mgr are not good mentors, will smile in your face and backstab you if you don't kiss up to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain mgmt to properly mentor staff and be more direct with staff. Remove the factor of being too personal. We must work and have a great working relationship, but mgmt gets caught up with too much gossip and some things could easily taken to HR for further action.

Waste of one year and a half of my life

Contracts (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsExcellent pay, excellent benefits, great perks, café, great location

ConsWorked in a HORRIBLE, TOXIC department with a HORRIBLE manager and a director with no backbone. Very unprofessional, ridiculous expectations, constant favoritism. This department is built on lies, and is falling apart....sooner than later. Current manager continues to waste precious time by creating meeting invites every day all day to appear busy. As if a better workflow process is not needed

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people that you know or who has brushed shoulders with your spouses. Hire people who are qualified to do the job, managers who know how to manage instead of stomping around the hallways as if they are sure that they're doing the job correctly when they are not

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Away from Revenue Dept - Toxic

Revenue Accountant (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsCafé is nice! Any other department in Accounting is great but stay away from Revenue!

ConsAll of accounting has more turn over than any other department but Revenue is a pit. HR is a joke! All of the HR goes on mgmt. retreats and conf. and then they all go out drinking together afterward. So good luck when the head of Revenue's wrath is upon you!

Advice to Senior ManagementUm seriously HR?! HA! Other than that keep selling it because everyone seems to be buying! I did too.

Good place to work

Geological Clerk (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsDenbury is very invested in its employees and offers many opportunities for social interaction and involvement. The company is casual in terms of dress, etc., but takes its work seriously and produces good results. There are opportunities for growth if you begin at the bottom and have the appropriate education. Company is flexible with hours and offers great benefits and perks.

ConsManagement is not always evenly distributed. For example, someone with engineering background may oversee geologists without really being qualified to do so. Some employees do not take their work as seriously as others and there are a lot of "time wasters."

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could do a better job delegating tasks and vesting more responsibility in their employees, especially in the middle level. The intern program is often a waste of resources and should be reevaluated. There should be more opportunity for employee feedback.

This Company is in Trouble

Technical Staff (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsCompany Cafe and decent corporate culture.

ConsOveractive HR department
    More mangers than leaders
    Poor long term direction one "PURE" strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementThe strategy to go "PURE" is flawed. I would not invest in this company because there is not diversification to offset any new government regulations or regulations from releases of CO2 in a densely populated area. The long term strategy needs to be rethought.

T.he PURE strategy will also cause problems with dividend distribution with the parent corporation or MLP properties when dropped into an MLP.

An institution looking to invest here should look elsewhere. Too much risk associated with this company and they are at the tail end of the process with some big PA liabilities at the end of this rainbow.

Inconsistent corporate directives passed down from management

Plano, TX

ProsGreat health benefits and free meal program

ConsNo standards to work from. Have been doing business the same way they did when they were a small strartup company over 15 years ago. Not progressive at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent with directives.

Good benefits, relaxed culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits; employee-focused/centric - do what's right for the employee.

ConsA definite class system - upper management gets many perqs others don't receive. Is losing it's "small company" culture/feeling.

Growing pains, mis-management and politics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsGreat Benefits, good location, lots of good employees.

ConsNo one wants to rock the boat, so if change is needed, it may never happen. Management is getting rich so why change things?

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is going on, if several people are leaving a department, find out why.

Excellent

Dallas, TX

ProsThe work environment is relaxed, I am given the opportunity to develop and grow, upper management treats everbody with respect, and, because the company is quickly growing, I am optimistic about my chances of moving up.

ConsThe company is growing so fast I feel that some inefficiencies can and will develop with-in certain divisions at Denbury.

Worked for Denbury Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Denbury Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Denbury Resources CEO Phil Rykhoek. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Denbury Resources employees.