Denny's

Denny's Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Denny's President & CEO John Miller

John Miller

Pros
  • some of the co-workers are fun to work with(in 6 reviews)

• Decent compensation and work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours being 24 hrs is rough with bar crowd(in 9 reviews)

• Depending on your store, upper management can very greatly(in 9 reviews)

Long extensive training period.

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) Belleville, IL

ProsTook time to ensure you were ready and comfortable with training.

ConsOverworked, lack of respect , and no growth

Advice to Senior Managementnone

very good

Shirt Manager (Current Employee)

Proswilling to work with you when you are in school (college)

ConsDidn't like you to take off on holidays

Advice to Senior Managementcompliments your employees each day

i was a waitress.

Wendys (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

Prosits got great people and great food

Conskeeping up with the speed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

eh....

Server (Current Employee)

Prosfriendships grew between workers and between customers so much so that at times it didn't even feel like work. Tips are good if you live in your means

ConsThe manager is twisted and also mixes business with personal as well as chooses sides in arguements/issues when they should remain neutral. If you can handle gossip and random threats from management when they are in their moods then go ahead and work at my store.

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou learn so much and improve your skill that u never imagen

ConsSometimes are not so much work

A good starting off point

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked as a waitress, but they were willing to train me on expo. Communication at my store was pretty open between staff. Generally there is good FOH/BOH cohesion. If you work in a good franchise, management is willing to listen to suggestions.

ConsDepending on where your denny's is located, your tips may suffer. The work can be hard, and shift responsibilities may exceed what is written-you have to use your common sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communication open, have a clear policy in case of sudden mass rushes on quiet hours.

Denny's

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with nice guest. I have a good General manager .

ConsPersonal life affects a lot of this business . Assistant managers need to out there personal opinions aside . It's food and drink giving good service . Like any business it's sales. Back to basics . Not allowing guest to know what is going on in the back of house . Watching servers and table touching as much as possible .

Advice to Senior ManagementGrave shift at time can be a little hectic . People doing drugs in the bathrooms . Maybe allowing for you local law in forcemeat to check stores more often would help discourage illegal behavior .

cheap labor of wait staff may be exploited

Server (Former Employee)

ProsI was hired with no previous experience in this industry. I got to follow around a server during my training. Co-workers were friendly to me.

ConsI'm reluctant to say that my experience is typical as this was a number of years ago, and things may have changed since I was there. Maybe it varies from location to location, too. However, I was hired to wait tables and ended up spending a lot of time doing things like filling jugs of salad dressing and folding silverware into napkins, all while being paid the tipped minimum wage, which is less than minimum wage. As a server, I'd thought I would make tips to supplement this very low amount, but every hour spent not waiting tables meant that my average earnings were decreased. I ended up making half as much as I would have if I'd been waiting tables during my scheduled hours. My training hadn't informed me as to how much time would be taken up with these activities and it seems that they were exploiting the fact that servers are paid at less than minimum wage. Again, with no experience in the industry, I don't know if this type of scheduling is to be expected, but it really turned me off to this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you need someone to do general tasks for the restaurant as opposed to waiting tables, hire someone to do that and pay them at least the legal minimum wage. Apparently, according to the law, it's fine for employers to pay less than minimum wage as long as the wage plus tips add up to at least minimum wage, but intentionally scheduling such employees for long hours where they will not be making tips can destroy morale, and it was my primary reason for leaving the position.

Hostess at dennys

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot really any pros at all

ConsNo breaks, low pay, i didnt even get paid for my time being there. Waitresses are table hogs

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits, and free food on breaks

I gave my all and did not receive much in return.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love working with people and loved the relationship I built with customers. I knew most on a first name basis. I was cross trained to learn all areas of the establishment.

ConsIf you work for a cooperate location, you are appreciated and compensated but if you work for a franchise you are extremely overworked, under appreciated and most of all under paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy best advice would be, learn to appreciate your employees and express that appreciation.

Worked for Denny's? Contribute to the Community!