Denny's

Denny's Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Denny's President & CEO John Miller

John Miller

Pros:
  • "Decent compensation and work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "This is a great place for high school students wishing to get real-world experience dealing with people of all kinds"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours being 24 hrs is rough with bar crowd"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Depending on your store, upper management can very greatly"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Okay starting job

Server (Current Employee)
    Monroe, MI

ProsMy management is very nice and so are most of the people I work with.

ConsAt dennys you are required to do "Side work" you have to complete this side work before you leave or else you cant get your tips in the register. Some of the side work is easy but most of it is things that COOKS should be doing.

Great!!!!!!!!!!

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee)
    Appleton, WI

ProsLaid back, Nice place to work at.

Conslazy co workers

Advice to Senior Managementmanager great

A job when I needed it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA.M. server, I made good tips

Consmanagement not great, not professional, tiny tyrants

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your managers in employee relations

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun but challenging

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee)

Prosyou will learn a lot. Great entry- level management position.

Consbenefits and senior management should be more cross trained and should know what their responsibilities are.

Hostess at dennys

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot really any pros at all

ConsNo breaks, low pay, i didnt even get paid for my time being there. Waitresses are table hogs

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits, and free food on breaks

I gave my all and did not receive much in return.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love working with people and loved the relationship I built with customers. I knew most on a first name basis. I was cross trained to learn all areas of the establishment.

ConsIf you work for a cooperate location, you are appreciated and compensated but if you work for a franchise you are extremely overworked, under appreciated and most of all under paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy best advice would be, learn to appreciate your employees and express that appreciation.

With the right attitude this can be a great job

Sever (Current Employee)
    Tacoma, WA

ProsFlexible hours. You can move up in the company if you want. You can ask to be cross trained to work more hours.

ConsHours are inconsistant. You may be asked to stay late or leave early. The management is also inconsistant. I have had very good managers and others who should have never been hired and should never work with the public. (Or people in general!)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the focus on the customer. Painting and "remodels" are no substitute for regular maintenance and cleaning. Oweners, pay your management what they are worth...... you get what you pay for.

Good place to get food service and "working with the public" experience, but hourly pay is atrocious.

Server/Host (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThis is a great place for high school students wishing to get real-world experience dealing with people of all kinds. I enjoyed talking with customers and making them feel comfortable, and that will go a very long way towards tips - the only real source of income here as a server (more on that in the "cons" section). I worked at a Denny's my junior year of high school at a location in Houston off of a major highway, so we saw all kinds of folks. This was interesting. If you enjoy meeting new people and don't mind serving others, this is a decent place to get some experience.

ConsTHE HOURLY PAY. If the diner is slow and there aren't many customers, you can forget about making any money. Back in '08, the hourly pay for a server at Denny's was $2.14/hour. This is due, I was told, to the tips. Yeah, tips are a MUST for this job. If you're really aggressive about snagging tables as customers walk in the door, you're really good on your feet with all kinds of people and don't mind getting run around by a large amount of tables, this won't be a big issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part, I enjoyed working with other employees. One of the managers was an excellent manager and made sure his employees treated the customer with respect and treated them to quality service. "Act as if the customer is a guest in your home - cater to their wants and do so with a hospitable smile," he would say. This advice has stuck with me.

Ok for starting out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and stability of company

ConsLong hours being 24 hrs is rough with bar crowd

Some co-workers are team players, hard workers; others are lazy and problematic.

Anaheim, CA

ProsRegular customers are really nice; some co-workers can be helpful, fun, and easy to get along with.

ConsSupervisors and managers have unrealistic expectations; exploit those who consistently work hard, forcing them to compensate for the lazy ones. No respect for subordinates. Make you clock out for lunch but have to keep working. Managers with no management/people skills. Took two years to get a raise and more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, hire/promote competent supervisors/managers. Almost seems like they put up with the same bad treatment before being promoted and have a hidden vendetta directed at the subordinates. Good management is not comparing yourself to the new employee/trainee and boasting how you are always perfect, berating the employee instead of providing positive reinforcement. Teach your management to treat employees with respect and dignity. Being a manager or supervisor doesn't mean your subordinate is less than you. I work at a restaurant where the manager has his sister and brother in law reporting to him as supervisors. We are also mistreated and yelled at in front of paying customers. Meetings with senior management are a joke; why have them if nothing is going to change? I have witnessed food dropped on the floor being picked up and placed back in the customer's plate. Corporate needs to pay more attention to their employees and hire good managers and supervisors who know what they are doing and manage using fair employment practices.

Worked for Denny's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Denny's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Denny's CEO John Miller. All 204 reviews posted anonymously by Denny's employees.