Denny's Reviews

303 reviews filtered by
2.8
Denny's President & CEO John Miller
John Miller

Pros
  • some of the co-workers are fun to work with (in 7 reviews)

• Locations are opened 24 hours so that it is easy to work scheduling with school (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours being 24 hrs is rough with bar crowd (in 10 reviews)

• The Upper management has no respect to us servers (in 10 reviews)

1. server, 4 years! Denny's =slave drivers

Current Employee - Server in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Server in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Denny's

Pros

the money is good, the customers are good, the name brand was good. Food is cheap.

Cons

to make more money at the top they eliminated jobs such as bus boys, cashiers, and hostesses. these jobs are now maintained by servers, 2.33 an hour! Leaving less time for servers to bring quality customer attention to guests.

Make customer service a priority again, so many disgruntled employees leaves moral low, noone works as a team. Your greed will be your demise, we are on a sinking ship

2. Just an end to a means

Former Employee - Server/Relief Manager in Galt, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Relief Manager in Galt, CA

I worked at Denny's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constant flow of cash
    Building relationships with regulars
    Learning customer service the hard way but quickly
    Shifts easy to work with if you are a student or work two jobs

Cons

Drama
    Rude customers
    Labor laws not followed
    Sexual harassment

Lead the team by example, be respectful and don't gossip or participate in other bad behavior.

3. Made me suicidal; 3rd shift

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Denny's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the customers are amazing to work with and you get a 50% discount when you work there. Long hours when you work 3rd shift.

Cons

Some of the customers are unreasonable, the managers expect hostesses to pick up the slack when waiters aren't doing their job, coworkers will talk about you behind your back. As a hostess you can expect to do the waiters' jobs for them every once in a while either due to laziness on their part or due to ridiculously large amounts of customers. They got my pay wrong MULTIPLE times, so if you decide to work there make sure to keep tabs on that. Many waitresses have gotten sick and been told to come to work, or bring a doctor's note (which YOU have to pay for). When they don't come to work, people will say that they're pretending to be sick. Extremely stressful. I hated this job.

Managment quality depends on the store you go to.

5. Ick

I worked at Denny's

Pros

Whatever pros there are were lost in the sea of cons that I couldn't differentiate in that quagmire of place called Denny's. The management try their best, but the bottom line is that there are always those people that make it terrible.

Cons

Everything from the pay to the customers. You get to meet some of the worst people in the world doing this job the ones that you thought went extinct with the KKK. Unfortunately they just became wandering vagrants that hit up Dennys.

Nothing you can do will help. You're not paid enough and its Dennys. No one expects a miracle here. I think you guys have it rough good luck.

6. Hired as a manager...scheduled as a cook

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Denny's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff were great. Store manager and area manager were out of touch. Treated employees like minions , addressing them like children.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees, Area manager overlooks obvious building, maintenance and health dept. issues to keep the numbers up. Not a healthy work environment. .....all about the Bonus....

Fail these locations and put the franchisee on notice to improve and maintain standards or revoke their franchise. No matter how many franchises they own. Dennys name is on the sign ( working or not ). Hold them accountable.

7. Worst job ever

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Denny's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None, some great workers thats about it

Cons

Cons are what the job is made of. First and more importantly is food safety, which is a joke (literally wed joke about it at work) to these restaurants. Worked as a manager for 2 years, only time a cook would wear gloves was when area managers were around. They would crack an egg with theyre bare hands and then plate food. Food was expired constantly. We would lie when recording temps since most cold or hot lines were broken. Fryers only cleaned when they let us buy oil. 86 lists 2 pages long. Managers working 60 hrs a week, literal blood sweat and tears, only to be told they were doing a horrible job. Christmas bonus was a christmas card. Not being allowed to have enough labor (20%!) on busy days. 1 particular restaurant sent 3 (3 no joke) managers to the hospital for heart issues or exhaustion. They do not care. When obamacare came around we were instructed to hire double the people we had. They told us, anyone, just fill the schedule doesnt matter who they were. Punishment for low satisfaction numbers was not getting our hoods cleaned. 1 restaurant had a grill fire, only to find out the ansel (fire safety system) was empty. Wall caught on fire at another due to so much build up. Area managers response? Did you put it out? Yes. Ok thanks. Customers walked all over staff. Even if they run out on the bill, we would get chewed out. It is known throughout the city that if you complain you can get free food no objections. I would overhear tables saying oh i dont have enough to pay for all this, well just complain that it was cold and you wont have to pay. This whole company is a sad digusting joke. I cannot believe health inspectors let them get away with what they do. I loved my other managers, my employees were fun. 9 of us stepped down/quit within a 3 month period. Upper management should be reported to bbb. If you want to be treated horribly, eat and serve gross food and be expected to give up your life to a job, this is the place for you.

Clean something. Fix something. Buy enough food to serve to people. You have to spend money to make money.

8. manager

Former Employee - Waitress
    Former Employee - Waitress

I worked at Denny's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay some people fun to work with

Cons

Very rude managers specially one man dont want to revile name ..He ls laying about people who works there . He even sexually harassed one employee and everything was swept under the carpet..very unhelthy place to work

obey the law for bouth sides

9. Not a good experoence

I have been working at Denny's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to find a good reason to work for this franchise.

Cons

Don't pay bills. Paychecks have bounced. 80 plus hours a week for managers. Awful politics. Questionable ethics...other managers and the franchise itself.

Develop some ethics and police your managers before you completely implode as a business.

10. Unappreciated Server

Current Employee - Server in Eldersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Server in Eldersburg, MD

I have been working at Denny's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with my coworkers and seeing the regular customers

Cons

Understaffed
    Low pay
    Overworked
    Always open 24/7
    Physically Exhausting
    Won't get any employee breaks on the busy days

11. Political and incompetent Upper Management

Former Employee - Management in Paradise, NV
    Former Employee - Management in Paradise, NV

I worked at Denny's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Newest regime has no experience in this type of concept, this isn't fast food they continue to reduce labor and cut corners on food for new technology in the kitchen that doesn't work, new designs in the kitchens slow them down even more, you should design a kitchen by using a chef's feedback not a PRO as there are none.

Cons

They don't promote people for doing a good job, they promote people who say YES and don't push back. This company has gone down hill for the past couple years. They will never improve under these Posers. They let good management leave or fire them so they can reduce the salaries by hiring incompetence for 20% less

Quit and let someone who knows what they're doing take over-Your customer service is going down due to you crunching labor-You are control freaks that hurt your businesses