Denny's Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

Denny's President & CEO John Miller
John Miller

Pros
  • some of the co-workers are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

• Decent compensation and work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours being 24 hrs is rough with bar crowd (in 9 reviews)

• Depending on your store, upper management can very greatly (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company franchise I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Denny's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people working in the field, working hard for little reward expected to spend their own money on company fundraisers.

Cons

Very negative work environment, compensation and benefits are not good. Many older and dirty restaurants. Would certainly not recommend Denny's to work.

Create a better work environment and stop running off your good employees. Listen to your managers. Find a way to pay a more competitive salary to your employees.

Denny's family restaurant work experience

Former Employee - Food Server  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Food Server in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Denny's part-time for less than a year

Pros

nice atmosphere. good food discount

Cons

work ethic of manager and coworkers

Be more prepared when hiring new staff, uniform was not available until much later.

Dennys need to get
    it together

I worked at Denny's

Pros

Open 24 hrs.part of flying j meeting teaveling people.

Cons

A very prejudice place to work.

Get rid of those rude,lazy girls and hire experienced polite servers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

cheap labor of wait staff may be exploited

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Denny's part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was hired with no previous experience in this industry. I got to follow around a server during my training. Co-workers were friendly to me.

Cons

I'm reluctant to say that my experience is typical as this was a number of years ago, and things may have changed since I was there. Maybe it varies from location to location, too. However, I was hired to wait tables and ended up spending a lot of time doing things like filling jugs of salad dressing and folding silverware into napkins, all while being paid the tipped minimum wage, which is less than minimum wage. As a server, I'd thought I would make tips to supplement this very low amount, but every hour spent not waiting tables meant that my average earnings were decreased. I ended up making half as much as I would have if I'd been waiting tables during my scheduled hours. My training hadn't informed me as to how much time would be taken up with these activities and it seems that they were exploiting the fact that servers are paid at less than minimum wage. Again, with no experience in the industry, I don't know if this type of scheduling is to be expected, but it really turned me off to this job.

If you need someone to do general tasks for the restaurant as opposed to waiting tables, hire someone to do that and pay them at least the legal minimum wage. Apparently, according to the law, it's fine for employers to pay less than minimum wage as long as the wage plus tips add up to at least minimum wage, but intentionally scheduling such employees for long hours where they will not be making tips can destroy morale, and it was my primary reason for leaving the position.

Denny's

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Denny's part-time

Pros

Working with nice guest. I have a good General manager .

Cons

Personal life affects a lot of this business . Assistant managers need to out there personal opinions aside . It's food and drink giving good service . Like any business it's sales. Back to basics . Not allowing guest to know what is going on in the back of house . Watching servers and table touching as much as possible .

Grave shift at time can be a little hectic . People doing drugs in the bathrooms . Maybe allowing for you local law in forcemeat to check stores more often would help discourage illegal behavior .

I gave my all and did not receive much in return.

I worked at Denny's

Pros

I love working with people and loved the relationship I built with customers. I knew most on a first name basis. I was cross trained to learn all areas of the establishment.

Cons

If you work for a cooperate location, you are appreciated and compensated but if you work for a franchise you are extremely overworked, under appreciated and most of all under paid.

My best advice would be, learn to appreciate your employees and express that appreciation.

Hostess at dennys

I worked at Denny's

Pros

Not really any pros at all

Cons

No breaks, low pay, i didnt even get paid for my time being there. Waitresses are table hogs

Better benefits, and free food on breaks

Some co-workers are team players, hard workers; others are lazy and problematic.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Denny's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Regular customers are really nice; some co-workers can be helpful, fun, and easy to get along with.

Cons

Supervisors and managers have unrealistic expectations; exploit those who consistently work hard, forcing them to compensate for the lazy ones. No respect for subordinates. Make you clock out for lunch but have to keep working. Managers with no management/people skills. Took two years to get a raise and more hours.

First, hire/promote competent supervisors/managers. Almost seems like they put up with the same bad treatment before being promoted and have a hidden vendetta directed at the subordinates. Good management is not comparing yourself to the new employee/trainee and boasting how you are always perfect, berating the employee instead of providing positive reinforcement. Teach your management to treat employees with respect and dignity. Being a manager or supervisor doesn't mean your subordinate is less than you. I work at a restaurant where the manager has his sister and brother in law reporting to him as supervisors. We are also mistreated and yelled at in front of paying customers. Meetings with senior management are a joke; why have them if nothing is going to change? I have witnessed food dropped on the floor being picked up and placed back in the customer's plate. Corporate needs to pay more attention to their employees and hire good managers and supervisors who know what they are doing and manage using fair employment practices.

Do not work here!

I worked at Denny's for less than a year

Pros

Great workplace environment and amazing co-workers

Cons

Lack of communication and direction
    Customers can be so ignorant

The worst restaurant in 25 yrs.

Current Employee - A G M  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - A G M in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Denny's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team I worked with as far as employees

Cons

13 1/2 months with 2 promotions and no raises. you get paid for 40 hrs expected to work 50 which is fine but I worked 65-70hrs. 5-6 days a week. Sales are up 5.8% for 4 months running. Yet again won't get a raise until July!!!!

You need to take care of the people that take care of you, stop sweating the small stuff and look at the big picture. Get fresher less old school Managers, that are so negative and bad for over all moral

Worked for Denny's? Contribute to the Community!