Denny's

Updated August 16, 2014

2.8

Denny's President & CEO John Miller
John Miller

Pros
  • some of the co-workers are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

• Decent compensation and work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours being 24 hrs is rough with bar crowd (in 9 reviews)

• Depending on your store, upper management can very greatly (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Embrace Change

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lots of possibility for advancement with the right attitude, education, and skills

Cons

Constant change of Regional Leadership, Direction, and Corporate Initatives.

Bad experience from the start. I was desperate for a job and i thought things would get better

Former Employee - Server

Pros

Make extra money on tips, fast paced work.

Cons

Im sure it varies with location, but most managers are incompetent. Lousy HR team, they expect too much from the wait staff. Bouncing checks. A lot of drama/gossip. Managers favor different employees.

Stay professional when dealing with your duties.

boring

Pros

get 50% of on food when working

Cons

management was weak would not recommend

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for management training!

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Denny's is a laid back full service type restaurant. Operating 24 hours gives you the opportunity to experience all types of people ranging from the early morning coffee drinkers to the late night party goers. As a manager you receive full benefits, paid vacation, and a free meal during your shift.

Cons

Compensation isn't very competitive and you hardly get a choice as to which location you work. As a low level manager you MUST work overnights which is non-negotiable.

Take care of your management team. A higher compensation for the work performed or bonuses would be a great start.

nice

Former Employee - Server

Pros

free food,okay hours,beautiful servers,some nice managers,okay customers

Cons

shortage of staff,always running out of stuff,poor management time to time

hire more cooks

Denny's

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, OH

Pros

The employee's become like family, and so do the regular's. Good tip's if you are a server. Management would listen and help if they like you, but not as much if you are not favored.

Cons

No holiday pay, open for holidays, vacation hours were taken away. Gossip.

Consider giving back vacation time, or you should have grandfathered in the old employee's and just made it standard for all employee's that hadn't already earned the extra time. I worked for the company for 8 years and would only get 1 week paid vacation time. You should also consider giving back holiday pay on the major holiday's at least.

Service Assistant

Former Employee - Service Assistant
    Former Employee - Service Assistant

Pros

It was easy to figure out, overall a fairly simple job to do. The scheduling was flexible for the most part, and people were always looking for extra shifts. I was always busy, which helped pass the time.

Cons

It got stressful at times, many people ignored their duties and slacked off. The manager was always pressuring us to stay and continue working after our shift was over. Pay was minimum wage.

Great place to work...depending on the location.

Former Employee - Server  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

Fun work environment, meet interesting people.

Cons

Good money doesn't always come with more hours. Very busy at times with little support, i.e. sometimes the restaurant was completely full and there was no bus boy or host and only 3 servers.

Do a quality check of all your restaurants. I was constantly told that my location (Hoffman Estates, IL) was a great Denny's and they passed other Denny's just to come to ours.

Other workers were very helpful and nice to work with

Former Employee - Food Server  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Food Server in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Meet new people and the food

Cons

management have no communication or any type of order amongst themselves

upper management needs to do a suprise visit to see how things are run.

cheap labor of wait staff may be exploited

Former Employee - Server

Pros

I was hired with no previous experience in this industry. I got to follow around a server during my training. Co-workers were friendly to me.

Cons

I'm reluctant to say that my experience is typical as this was a number of years ago, and things may have changed since I was there. Maybe it varies from location to location, too. However, I was hired to wait tables and ended up spending a lot of time doing things like filling jugs of salad dressing and folding silverware into napkins, all while being paid the tipped minimum wage, which is less than minimum wage. As a server, I'd thought I would make tips to supplement this very low amount, but every hour spent not waiting tables meant that my average earnings were decreased. I ended up making half as much as I would have if I'd been waiting tables during my scheduled hours. My training hadn't informed me as to how much time would be taken up with these activities and it seems that they were exploiting the fact that servers are paid at less than minimum wage. Again, with no experience in the industry, I don't know if this type of scheduling is to be expected, but it really turned me off to this job.

If you need someone to do general tasks for the restaurant as opposed to waiting tables, hire someone to do that and pay them at least the legal minimum wage. Apparently, according to the law, it's fine for employers to pay less than minimum wage as long as the wage plus tips add up to at least minimum wage, but intentionally scheduling such employees for long hours where they will not be making tips can destroy morale, and it was my primary reason for leaving the position.

Worked for Denny's? Contribute to the Community!