Denso Manufacturing Tennessee

3.6
Jack Helmboldt

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Advanced Specialist in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security, flexible schedule, good people, temperature controlled environment, decent benefits package, challenging work environment with constantly adding new equipment

Cons

Management is horrible, lack of Japanese management creates a not so good work environment, pay is way below national average by 25 + %,

Advice to Management

Clean house of upper management

2. Enjoying Working At Denso

Current Contractor - Quality Control Inspector in Maryville, TN
    Current Contractor - Quality Control Inspector in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly accepting place to work. Love the hours of 1st shift

Cons

Don't get overtime Would like to work weekends sometimes. Not enough income looking for additional income

3. Machine operator an a fast paced production line at Denso Manufacturing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and insurance and enjoyable work.

Cons

I currently work third shift and I would like to find a day shift job so I can spend time with my family.

5. engineer

Current Employee - Advanced Specialist in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

security, benefits, flex time, inhouse training available

Cons

information security is valued a little to much, communication lacking.

Advice to Management

Don't hold back information valuable to those below

6. My experience with the company has been a roller coaster ride.

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Maryville, TN

Pros

The best reason for me working there is the insurance benefits. I have work with the company long enough to earn four weeks of paid vacation.

Cons

My biggest challenge is not having the help I need to do my job properly. When the economy was so bad the company let most of our temporary associates go and cut back on hourly associates' hours. The salary associates had to take up the slack. Since then the company has been running with a leaner roster.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to consider how to help team members (esp. Section Leaders and above) work together. Most Section Leaders and above I know fight against other people's ideas. Mostly for spite because they don't like the other person. They should realize that we would all benefit by working together in the same direction instead of pulling against one another. After all, we are on the same team.

Stability leads to Complacency

Current Employee - Total Industrial Engineer in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Total Industrial Engineer in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very high level of stability in your job, very rarely fires associates. Great experience early in career.

Cons

Same as the pros, much of the promotion and organization structure is based on how long you have been at the company. Very infused with the Japanese culture, it can become very frustrating for young professionals looking to move up.

Advice to Management

Promote based on ability not the amount of time an associate has been there. Not all employees are qualified for their jobs, as bad as it sounds you should not be so afraid of firing someone and retaining new talent.

8. I enjoyed working at Denso but it was not a job where I felt like I could grow and have the future I want in my field.

Former Contractor - Facilities Maintenance Technician in Maryville, TN
    Former Contractor - Facilities Maintenance Technician in Maryville, TN

I worked at Denso Manufacturing Tennessee as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is great and the environment is good.

Cons

The facilities maintenance department that I worked in never hired people as full-time associates and they remained temporary associates. I worked there for five years through a temporary service and there were no signs of being hired as a full-time associate. Other employees worked ten plus years and still remained temporary associates.

Advice to Management

If you have somebody that works for you through a temporary service and displays good work performance for several years they should be a good enough candidate to hire as a full-time associate instead of remaining a temporary associate. I think they should also provide training to their employees and keep them educated on all their equipment.

9. Good money, but clueless supervision

Current Employee - Production Associate in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Maryville, TN

Pros

Very good salary and working conditions. The work isn't very physically demanding and takes little thought to do. We are allowed to talk and cut up on the lines. Not much accountability for productivity or quality, so it's easy to get through the day.

Cons

Good old boy mentality and lack of skilled supervision. The supervisors and teamleaders don't come around unless someone in management has a problem.

Advice to Management

Require supervision to spend time on the production lines, at least part of the day.

Working at DMTN changed me, but not in a good way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

Pros

The tuition reimbursement was a great benefit, along with the job stability. Unfortunately, that's about it.

Cons

Essentially, you sell your soul to work for DENSO. The pace and expectation there is completely unrealistic and upper managment is completely out of touch with what is going in the lower ranks. It is very top heavy and upper management is completely overpaid. Promotions are not earned by talent or merit, they are given to people who are in the "back pocket" of upper management OR given to people they want to grandfather out of their current position. The whole concept of DMTN is very ''old school'' and the life expectancy of a new hire is around 3 years.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your associates are telling you and if you don't want the true answer to a question, then quit asking.

11. Denso Manufacturing, TN INC

Current Employee - Production Design Engineer in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Production Design Engineer in Maryville, TN

Pros

Strong benefits package, hourly associate morale is high, located in a great part of Tennessee, and job stability is very high.

Cons

For professionals: minimal annual salary increases, benefits package is deteriorating every year, favortism is a serious issue in many departments.

Advice to Management

Please begin to actually value the responses provided on associate surveys. Actually take action when negative feedback is received year after year. Do not form a focus group yet do nothing to tackle the continous complaints.

RSS Feed </> Embed