DentaQuest

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Fay Donohue

Great Place to Work

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCommunity and charity involvement, funds philanthropic activities through a wholly owned subsidiary, great vision.

ConsSlightly lower than average compensation but in all quite fair.

Unmanageable workloads and expectations are no longer the exception, they are the norm!

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeers who are willing to help each other, but even that is getting difficult because people are so exhausted.

ConsCulture is awful - morale is consistently low because the company has no idea what direction it's going in - sr leaders just know they want it all and they'll do anything to get it! We are a dental company that does vision. We say yes to every opportunity no matter what it means to the people that have to do the work. Sr leaders know the culture needs an overhaul they know employees are exhausted and unhappy they know about glass door and they have done nothing to change any of it! And don't get me started on HR... NOBODY trusts or can rely on HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinally do something! Stop making things worse- get down from the pedestal and do something for the minions that make it all so successful!

Horrible in every way

Current Employee (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time for more than a year

ProsI heard the CEO will be retiring soon. No matter who is hired, it can't be any worse.

ConsThere is something at the core wrong with this company. There is no sense of teamwork and people are at DQ simply for the paycheck. There is no company pride, because the company does nothing to be proud of. Employees are treated terribly. Profits are through the roof, and our raises this year were pitiful. Employees bust their butts, and mangers treat employees like they are stupid. Backstabbing, dishonesty, and bullying are everyday experiences here. Employees are publically humiliated by their managers, and upper management continually turns a blind eye. Morale at DQ is awful. I can honestly say I do not know 1 person, in my group or others, are happy there. Turnover is tremendous. I strongly suggest if you are thinking of working at DentaQuest, you re-think your decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and TAKE ACTION! The same complaints have been around for years, and literally not one thing has changed-it is actually getting worse and worse.

Incompetent management

I worked at DentaQuest

ProsFree or discounted dental insurance to members caused by company errors....

ConsManagement has no clue what they are doing...all the brain trust comes from outside consultants

Advice to Senior ManagementTunnel vision is not healthy to any organizations....

I can't recommend DentaQuest as a place to work

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI tried to submit a review before but it wasn't posted. Trying again. A lot of great co-workers that you can talk to. There are some really nice people here who work really hard and who want to support the company. It is just really hard to be supportive. Average benefits. Salaries in some areas are under market value. Supervisors and managers not in IT seem most undervalued in salary ranges. Nice work facilities. Free parking. Boston office going through a renovation - looks like it will be nice when done. I love my team. I am lucky that I have a great core group. I have not witnessed the sexism and bullying that others have mentioned.

ConsThere are a lot unfortunately. Communication is very poor, especially coming from the officers and VPs - at least in my area. Always feel in the dark about critical business priorities and decisions. We are on a "need to know basis" only. It makes you wonder why the secrets? There's no transparency. New hires are sometimes announced but never departures. And email accounts are left on for weeks so you'll be emailing someone who has been gone for weeks. Weird. Almost as if having someone resign or be fired is something to hide.

Very disjointed environment. Everything is a fire drill, short deadlines, quick decisions needed with limited information, meetings scheduled with an hours notice with fear if you miss the invitation because you were in another meeting. VPs instantly go to their peers if they don't like your answer on something or you don't respond to them fast enough. All potential business is pursued even if we don't have the staff or technology to support it. The focus is on growth and it is left to the employees below the VPs to figure it out.

Fear and intimidation are used as motivators.

Workloads can be unbearable at times.

There's no sense of team or community across the company. I don't feel as if we celebrate our success as a company. We hold cookouts and holiday parties but there's nothing about them that fosters a true culture. Officer attempts come across disingenuous. I do my best each day to keep my job and to prevent my co-workers from having to carry any unnecessary burden. I don't feel any connection to the CEO or the officers. I am very proud of my team but I don't take pride in what I do. There's too much to do and it's never enough.

The HR department is very concerning. And we are all too afraid of retaliation to say anything about them. The HR managers who handle employee relations issues are really good. But the rest of the HR dept negatively impacts their effectiveness. HR and the officers track Glass Door activities. It is troubling that they aren't doing anything about it. The most recent positive posts on glass door seem like deliberate attempts to counteract the real employee feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementI get that we are making a ton of money so the officers probably think "why change anything?" But equally important to me would be the long-term future of our brand and the respect of the communities we serve - which your employees are a part of.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Read this before you apply for this company

Grafton, WI

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time

ProsPros: There's only one good thing about this company. It's the hourly rate,
benefits, good health and dental insurance.

ConsCons: There are so many things wrong with this company. First, they take forever
to hire you. I applied for a job and it took them four months to hire me.
Second, once they hire you, they don't give you proper training. I got penalties
for doing something that I didn't know and they didn't trained me on it. Third,
you have to learn everything on your own otherwise you are on your own when they
pull you into the office.

Fourth, they don't care about you. All DQ cares about their work. If you don't
do it their way and their speed, they fire you. It's very competitive. You have
to be better than what they expect or you're out. Also, they expect you to work
even if there's bad weather, your sick, little late, etc. otherwise they write
you up.

Fifth, there's so much basis. If you're not the boss's favorite, you get treated
like dirt. I work with two ladies and my boss loves them. My boss gives them
whatever they want PTO, change hours for them, believes them when something
happens, let's them get away with things and much more. My boss gives me crap,
thinks I am a lair, thinks I am a constant "struggle" and "problem in the
environment". I've worked there for two years and two months, NEVER once they
said anything good to me.

Sixth, management is awful. They always look the other way for those that
doesn't do much. Promote those who are their "friends". They hide behind their
emails. It takes them at least two weeks to answer one question in person or
email. They always wait till last minute to answer you then it's too late. They
are very basis over another employee.

Seventh, I reported discrimination and harassment on the two ladies in my
department and my manger put it against me and now it's on my record stating
"causing problems". My manger looked the other way and the ladies kept harassing
me. I went to HR, they didn't do anything about it. Every time I want a day off,
the two ladies won't cover for me and my manger says "oh well, you don't get a
day off". I lost PTO because of that.

This is the worst company I ever worked for. They always put things against you.
If you can't control it, it's always your fault. DONT work for this company.
It's a nightmare everyday having to fight for what you want and to have your
voice heard.

WARNING: they hire "temps" all the time when really they fire the permenant
employee and replace them with the temps.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement: Treat people fairly. People suffer on so many accounts because you
lack in equality, quality, fairness, communications, and feedback.

Disappointing experience

I have been working at DentaQuest

ProsI have some really smart, funny, hardworking and supportive peers. I am very thankful for them or I am not sure I would have stayed so long. The company is so discouraging, I would have taken it all personally had I not felt comfortable confiding in others and realizing they all feel the same way. Honestly, that's about the only positive. Most people at Director level down are trying to do the right thing. It's just hard for them with all the ego at the VP/Officer level.

ConsToo many to mention unfortunately. The CEO is cold and completely absent unless you're an officer. Her yearly attempt to sound caring and inspirational falls flat. She doesn't motivate me to do my best. Rumor has it, she's retiring in two years. Best thing the board could do is go outside for her replacement in hopes of changing the culture. She just doesn't seem like she cares about anything or anyone. Just growing to bottom line.

Communication is horrendous. My poor manager looks pained and embarrassed to constantly admit he has no clue what's going on and can't answer our questions because his VP tells him nothing. Seems like VPs are do impressed with themselves that information is withheld as power. People coming and going are never announced. And sadly, people come and go constantly. This leads to shallow expertise and knowledge, especially with critical system expertise. Those who have it, are just slammed with work.

HR is laughable. i just don't get it. Recruitment is sloppy and disorganized. Good recruiters keep leaving but their self-absorbed manager stays unscathed. You wait weeks and weeks for jobs to get approved. The Boston HR benefits navager can't even give you the courtesy of a response. Ever. The new HR manager in Boston seems great which means she won't stay. HR is very unapproachable which is shocking. Employees are afraid of retaliation from HR so they don't complain about HR.

The workload on middle management is unbearable and talking to the VPs go on deaf ears because they are either part of the problem or they are too afraid of their own position to do anything about it. HR talks a lot about employee engagement but they don't practice what they preach. They just burden supervisors and managers with it but there's no one worrying about the supervisor and manager's engagement. it seems there's this mentality that we should all feel lucky to be working here because we are growing so fast. Who cares whether we make $60 million or $160 million if I feel miserable waking up every Monday morning?

Good people, good company, lacks consistency in vision

I worked at DentaQuest

ProsGreat benefits, competitive salaries, great opportunities

ConsCompany strategy and organizational structure both change frequently.

Correcting a Misconception and Misinformed Review

I have been working at DentaQuest full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI have my own fair share of complaints about this company but that would probably be true regardless of where I work. Reading these reviews I can see that current or former employees are dissatisfied but none of these people really get what is going on. They simply recognize that they don't like it and can't quite articulate the reason why. Many of the comments are misguided. The review that needs immediate correction is the one that implies that there is some degree of sexism taking place at DentaQuest that favors men for promotions over women. This just isn't true. Healthcare is one of the few industries that is run in large part by women. The CEO at DentaQuest is female. The vast majority of officers and VP's are female. It sounds like the person below was overlooked for a promotion and assumes it to be gender based. That is simply misguided and inaccurate.

ConsThere are many opportunities for this company to improve but I'll reserve my comments for a day when these opportunities come back to affect me directly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet candidly, confidentially and privately for one on one meetings with employees and middle management at random for their honest feedback. I suspect most of the complaints will be directed toward one department and one person in particular. Our CEO and COO seem to genuinely care about their organization, what we do and the well being of the employees. There are some people in between the employee and executive level that are serving as the biggest road blocks. Remove them and the organization will flourish again as it has in the past.

Long time employees not valued over buddy system

Mequon, WI

I worked at DentaQuest full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, good wages, good hours. The training is intense and on-going. There can be room for promotions. There is a casual dress code and can be a family atmosphere at times. There are some wonderful people there. It is a tough job, but the compensation is really good.

ConsFriends and relatives of management receive preferential treatment. Long time employees are not valued. People are promoted based more on their relationships over their abilities.
Management sometimes plays games as far as "catching" you or encouraging employees to undermine others. Their supposed anonymity is a farce.
It is a tough job, clients can be nasty. But, anyone working in customer service know that. They expect you to control every aspect of communication and have unrealistic goals set. They use those to get rid of or demote certain people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck into situations before believing the worst.

Worked for DentaQuest? Contribute to the Community!

DentaQuest Videos

DentaQuest – Why Work for Us?

​​​​DentaQuest is driven by our mission to improve the oral health of all, to achieve a nation free of dental disease. A nation where no child suffers from the pain of tooth decay. Where adults keep all their teeth for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DentaQuest reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DentaQuest CEO Fay Donohue. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by DentaQuest employees.