Denton Independent School District

Ray Braswell

Life Skills Aide

Former Employee - Life Skills Aide in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Life Skills Aide in Denton, TX

I worked at Denton Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great district and on the cutting edge of educational technology. Fair benefits and fantastic morale.

Cons

Lacks diversity in some areas of the administration. Difficult to get an interview unless you know someone

Become diverse in management so it can trickle to schools.

Works well with students and those with odd schedules

I have been working at Denton Independent School District

Pros

This is a job that really does offer opportunities that are good experience. You will certainly learn leadership skills at this job and how to handle odd situations professionally. They are also good at working with school schedules which is super helpful.

Cons

The hours are really awkward and it can also be difficult to get hours period. The benefits are also next to impossible to afford and there is no pay over the summer break.

They need to figure out how to lower the turnover rate here. There are never enough employees to cover all of the routes. If employees are sick, they will beg you to still come to work. I have gone to work sick with a fever several times.

A positive professional experience

Current Employee - Learning Technologist
    Current Employee - Learning Technologist

I have been working at Denton Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Denton ISD provided me an opportunity for growth. The district has strong resources to support employees and students.

Cons

Some systemic problems, like interaction among the administrative departments, prevent the district from being as productive as it could be. Like many school districts, it's prone to bureaucracy and slow to respond to change. Health insurance benefits are the pits and are part of what drove me out.

Respect your teachers' professional knowledge. Let them be part of the decision-making process.

Some good times, some bad times

Current Employee - Extended School Day Instructor
    Current Employee - Extended School Day Instructor

I have been working at Denton Independent School District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great kids, people who care, learning and growing on the job. If you don't have patience, you'll either learn it or you'll never have it working with these kids.

Cons

Because the position is part time and after school care (read, non-certified and student aged) parents don't take you as seriously and are more likely to be offended when you tell them their child has done something wrong.

Co-workers can be lazy, it happens anywhere though.

Not paid enough, not enough pay raises.

Trust us. We are looking out for these kids. We would do nothing to hurt them.

Denton ISD Transportation

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Denton, TX

I have been working at Denton Independent School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Weekends and holidays off.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Rude dispatch management. Lack of hours. Team leaders are arrogant and unnecessary. Not challenging.

If you are going to take the time to create a dress code and preach about it, you should enforce it. Don't show favoritism and don't promote arrogant and ignorant employees.

Yes, we are there to transport children to school, but do not cater to every parents need. It only puts more strain on the driver and makes the department look bad when we cannot meet what YOU promised.

Great entry-level experience

Former Employee - Technology Repair Intern in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Repair Intern in Denton, TX

I worked at Denton Independent School District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Easy to work with staff
    -Fun environment
    -Simple work, straightforward position
    -Decent pay & responsibility set for a 17 year-old

Cons

-Simple work at times
    -A bit monotonous periodically
    -Not particularly easy to get the position
    -Very conservative employees and work environment

I appreciated the experience. I would recommend you have a possibly more inviting work environment and encourage individuals to be more expressive of diverse views. At times I felt alienated for being non-religious.

Pleasant, but overrun by politics and poor management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I worked at Denton Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people all have good hearts and want to do what's best for the children.

Cons

If you aren't in the loop or a long timer, you will not survive.

Quit shuffling bad people from school to school and just let them go.

Middle school teacher

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher in Denton, TX

Pros

Parts of DISD are amazingly good, with good support and resources.

Cons

If you happen to get stuck on one of the few campuses were a "good ole boy" attitude rules, my sympathies. You will need every ounce of strength you have to survive the clique-y attitude and keep your job.

Quit allowing clique attitudes to exist. Quit promoting people based on who they know rather than what they know. You want to know why some of your departments are in tatters--that's why. The people running the show are as clueless as those participating.

Great.

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Denton, TX

I worked at Denton Independent School District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family oriented usually. Great Pay. The transportation department si great to work at, you get holidays and weekends off.

Cons

Non - flexible schedule. You are off for 4 months out of the year with no pay and are not allowed to draw UN-employment.

Treat your workers like you want them there and not like they are disposable.

Denton ISD Transportation has been a good place to work, and the department does its job well.

I have been working at Denton Independent School District

Pros

Good pay for this type of job and the opportunity for more hours is better than some other districts. The staff is very professional and seem to take pride in their job. There is a good system in place for managing student behavior. Denton has it's own student management department where as most other districts send conduct reports to students' home campus's principal to deal with discipline. This makes a difference when managing student behavior.

Cons

During summer and school vacations there is no pay so it makes other types of work more attractive.

Keep up the good work! :-)