Dentsu America

Profile Unclaimed

Dentsu America Reviews

2.9

Tim Andree

Overall, it was a good learning experience in the industry.

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Dentsu America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, nice office and location. A good place to get your start, learn the industry and meet nice people. Office happy hours on Thursdays were nice and casual dress was great.

Cons

Unless you're being hired for a manager or above position, the salary is very low considering the amount of hours worked.

Try to incorporate all groups into agency meetings - some groups never got attention and felt isolated.

Disappointing. Complete lack of strategy and desire to do decent creative work

Former Employee - Media in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media in New York, NY

I worked at Dentsu America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice office. Great 401(k)

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth and diversity of clients

Invest in good talent. Get rid of ppl that have worked there way too long.

Business Intern

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Dentsu America as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, great NYC office, fun working environment and office social events,

Cons

None noticed as an intern

Freeelance

I worked at Dentsu America

Pros

Great people to work with. Less down time.

Cons

Depends on projects, sometime it lacks in communications, but generally ok.

"Grade D" Ad agency - Run, don't walk away.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dentsu America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many Non-management staff are great people.

Cons

Upper Management is clueless, antiquated beyond belief and does not appreciate, reward or recognize good talent or creative. Poor character traits exist in most who are leading the agency. Dated views, technology, services and protocols. No process and lack of structure. One of the worst agencies I've seen. This place is run like a high school clique, with immature favorites who must be subordinate to succeed (without recognition or promotion). Inappropriate relationships between managers and subordinates. Information is on a "need to know" basis and job expectations are that you execute what you are told without question or input. Many in upper management gossip like teenagers, stab others in the back while smiling to their faces. Screaming is common. Totally unprofessional, toxic and poor work quality. Clients are dissatisfied.

Bring in consultants to show you how to properly run an agency and how to treat people with ethical behavior. Tim Andree should wipe the slate clean and bring in actual professionals to make this agency on par with other agencies this size. It can't get better with the same people in place and hasn't in decades.

Amazing culture, passionate people.

I have been working at Dentsu America

Pros

People at Dentsu love what they do. Dentsu America is a small office with a large-network backbone. Everyone is helpful, friendly, and informative.

Cons

We could use a cafeteria.

Dentsu America Santa Monica could be a great place to work...in a year or more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Dentsu America

Pros

The Santa Monica office is much smaller, so there is more opportunity to be noticed by upper management. The majority of the people here are very easy to get along with and fun to be around. Many people are able to leave the office most days around 6 or 6:30, some groups even earlier. Working on the weekends is also almost non-existent. The entire atmosphere is very relaxed, as are the clients - which can be good and bad. Good because you can come in a bit late or get out early once in a while if you need to, bad because it can make you develop bad habits or become unmotivated.

Cons

The Santa Monica office is looked at as the red-headed step child by the head New York office. The atmosphere is very quiet and not as family oriented as it used to be. Everyone comes in and does their job for the day and then leaves as soon as they can. There is not much comradary within the different departments and people only speak to each other about the business when they absolutely have to. The overall atmosphere is fairly negative, and compared to a lot of other agencies, most people that work here are not as motivated and excited as they should be about what they aer working on.

Employees need more positive feedback when they are doing well. Also, the same clients, lower budgets, and repeating projects are not exciting anyone, new business is needed to reinvigorate the agency.

The people are great, but there is no structure and not enough resources"

I have been working at Dentsu America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great teams with talent
    -Most everyone is levelheaded and nice

Cons

-Layoffs and high turnover with no training programs in place means you always have people coming and going in the middle of big projects and people having to learn other people's jobs to pick up slack
    -It's hard to get the people you need since everyone is slammed with multiple projects
    -Not enough great work being produced for the amount of time spent working

A complete joke of an "agency"

I have been working at Dentsu America

Pros

While the new leadership is showing signs of movement in a positive direction, if we look back in history, we all have little faith that the current leader will actually be around long enough to implement any of the changes or vision he's talking about. While we can attract a mixture of good people who seemingly know what they're doing and who come from good companies, the moment they start looking around, they immediately head towards the exit. It's a sad, but ongoing pattern.

Cons

With our combination of revolving door "good people", and top heavy shifting senior leadership team who frequently throws temper tantrums, there's no sense of stability here. Because of deference to bad managers who are still under contract, the majority of staff is currently lined up outside of HR's office to resign, to complain or to cry.

I have no faith in the people who lead, who sit at the holding company level nor in the new business "machine" or lack there of. How are we supposed to grow and be self-sufficient if we rely on Japan to hand us clients?

Rather than paying attention to earn out periods and contracts, start paying attention to the all stars and clients you do have. Develop a real New Business department versus an overpaid schmoozer who has nothing to show for it. Start embracing technology and hiring people who do - if we want to act like an agency who operates in 2012, we should probably have an intranet a current website and a way to learn online (like every other agency.)

Dentsu America is a good small shop.

I worked at Dentsu America

Pros

Knowledgeable media. Smart General Creatives. Lacking in New Media understanding.

Cons

Brutal hours and under resourced in creative.

Pay attention to the people who are doing the work and burnout.