Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014
3.2

Arthur A. Gonzalez

A great palce with great benefits, but the people they put in management need to be reconsidered

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time

Pros

Great pay and great benefits.

Cons

NO communication between upper and lower management. There is a LOT of micromanaging. Biased treatment of employees. If you come from the outside and hire in, you will remain an outsider.

They truly care about their patients

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Pros

There is a good work/life balance culture

Cons

Upper management support of specific initiatives

Awesome Trauma Hospital

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working in the SICU gave me skills that I never could have gotten anywhere else. I worked with some of the best nurses and doctors in the country, and I'm proud to have worked with them.

Cons

As in most businesses in the country, there is often head-butting between staff and management, as their focuses are different. Staff advocates for the patients and their families, while management is looking at the bottom line.

Remember what it was like to work in the positions you now manage. The problems you noted as a "worker" are still there, and you can now do something about them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked with Denver Sheriffs Departmentt at Denver Justice Center.

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working With Correctional Care Wasn't easy but was fulfilling. Denver Health paid Great wages.

Cons

The type of people and management skills , I had to work with.

To be more professional and personable to all staff.

Psychiatric Unit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the staff was dedicated when I worked there a few years ago. The system of the doctors taking care of their orders and it going to the pharmacy who further took care of any problems, then the nurses checking the orders off on the Pixus was a plus. The Pixus was efficient and medications were in the PIxus. Pay was better than many other places around town. I was there when Dr. Grabow was in charge of the hospital, and she made us feel proud.

Cons

Middle management was not progressive, was punitive, clicky, had their favorites, and did not spend time teaching new staff. They did not promote new staff succeeding unless you were in their click. Some people were written up for minor things that others got away with. Some rules seemed very harsh/strict. I felt someone could get in trouble by hearsay, and when one would defend oneself it did not help. This happened to me.

Smile some. Loosen up and help people who are in learning curves to decrease anxiety rather than increase it, and weed people out. I saw a former RN who transferred to another unit at DH and H who told me after the four years I have been gone hardly any of the regular staff is left. Revamp management classes where they are staff friendly and lift up staff to succeed, and evaluate which middle management are meeting this criteria. Be a role model in this attitude

Organization full of people wanting to make change for the better but lacking adequate resources to do so

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers are some of the most driven and dedicated people I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Benefits and PTO are good.

Cons

I had no real on-the-job training; I was expected to learn the ropes myself and figure out job duties, and it was challenging (especially when there was no strategic focus to guide me). I believe there are intelligent individuals all over the organization, but culture change needs to come from the top.

Invest more money in training people new to the organization. Myself and my coworkers are often met with challenges and frustration because we don't "know how things work" sometimes (meaning within the Denver Health system).

Huge system with an excellent mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Aligns with personal values of mine

Cons

System is too large, the health care benefits at Denver Health are pretty sub-par

Improve benefits and salary

Great experience for new RN's, but after 2 years look elsewhere

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good exposure to a myriad of things. Good teamwork. Vacation is good if you can stand to work there >8 years.

Cons

1) The learning is great for a reason: you get flogged on the daily.
    2) Pay is weak. Worked there as a PRN. After a year HR contacts me to let me know that they "accidentally" hired me under the wrong pay grade, then cut my pay $6/hr. Needless to say, I left of my own accord
    3) No union, a few of my friends were fired based on hearsay.
    4) The amount and type of work, combined with the added liability and poor pay, make Denver Health an undesirable place to work for nurses.
    5) The unit changed management right before I left. The new manager was poorly prepared (didn't even know how to use Outlook) and made several mistakes which effected employees in an unfavorable way.
    6) Nurses were expected to do all of these extra things on their own time...again, pay there is too weak to justify cutting into personal time.

Managers/Staff nurses: All of these problems are not hospital specific. Its the profession itself and healthcare in general that suck. With that in mind, why not work somewhere that will pay you $4-6/h more to deal with the same BS? Don't believe the "Big Trauma Center" hype. Get your 2 years of experience and bounce, or work for agency so that you can be paid what you are worth for your skills.

This hospital is very political, where anybody's head can be put on the chopping block regardless of performance.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There are many employees who are dedicated to helping the indigent community locally.

Cons

The administrative staff of the hospital has issues with mid and lower level management. The pay is horrible, the hours are long, and most of the staff have bad attitudes and uncaring demeanors.

Listen to and include lower management in decision making.

No vision or direction, lacking in standard training, information is hard to come by

Current Employee - Pharmacy Department  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Department in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My co-workers are great to work with. The pay is good for my position, but not all positions are this way.

Cons

Dept management seems to have no single direction - they are constantly changing things. Self taught on most systems, which is to say I don't know how to do many things that I should know how to do. Finding information on anything (procedures, reference guides, etc.) is extremely difficult and the intranet is god awful.

Please focus on the foundations on the department - getting everyone trained and competent. Stop trying to put the cart before the horse.

Worked for Denver Health and Hospital Authority? Contribute to the Community!