Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.4

Arthur A. Gonzalez

Pros
  • There is a good work/life balance culture (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits, good work/life balance, large organization rooted in Denver (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Stressful, Poor management, Spiteful, No opportunity for growth (in 3 reviews)

• I notified all of the departments and people that I was "supposed to" and did not receive the results I was promised as a patient (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working for this Hospital, and the hospital has a great mission.

Former Employee - Research Coordinator
    Former Employee - Research Coordinator

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Pros

Great people, lots of career growth opportunities

Cons

It is a bigger system so lots of moving parts, takes time to get things accomplished

Great mission, missing accountability

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Pros

Great mission, location, nursing staff.

Cons

Benefits are poor. Having to work with doctors

Hold the provider leadership accountable.

Pay too little

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Pros

They will hire you with no experience

Cons

They claim the pay is competitive but it's not. Most other hospitals pay more

Varied, Public Health Oriented, Campus Environment.

Current Employee - Certified Addictions Counselor III in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Certified Addictions Counselor III in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Campus environment, multiple disciplines working as a unit on many occasions.

Cons

Not-for-profit, multi-level management creates barriers to change.

Treatment is the product and the service that the organization provides for the community, however treatment is not the goal of the community- recovery and wellness are the goal. The organization might do well to incorporate wellness and recovery values into its mission to truly reflect the community's needs.

Patient and Family Centered Care Environment

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At DHHA, patients truly come first. They are a very community driven organization that not only looks out for their employees, but also everyone in their community.

Cons

Not a marketplace leader when it comes to utilizing innovative practices in the healthcare field. The smokers! There is no one strongly enforcing the No Smoking campus policy.

Invest in your employees who are passionate about the care they provide. Manage out those individuals that are providing the PFCC environment.

A great palce with great benefits, but the people they put in management need to be reconsidered

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time

Pros

Great pay and great benefits.

Cons

NO communication between upper and lower management. There is a LOT of micromanaging. Biased treatment of employees. If you come from the outside and hire in, you will remain an outsider.

They truly care about their patients

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority

Pros

There is a good work/life balance culture

Cons

Upper management support of specific initiatives

Awesome Trauma Hospital

Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the SICU gave me skills that I never could have gotten anywhere else. I worked with some of the best nurses and doctors in the country, and I'm proud to have worked with them.

Cons

As in most businesses in the country, there is often head-butting between staff and management, as their focuses are different. Staff advocates for the patients and their families, while management is looking at the bottom line.

Remember what it was like to work in the positions you now manage. The problems you noted as a "worker" are still there, and you can now do something about them.

Worked with Denver Sheriffs Departmentt at Denver Justice Center.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working With Correctional Care Wasn't easy but was fulfilling. Denver Health paid Great wages.

Cons

The type of people and management skills , I had to work with.

To be more professional and personable to all staff.

Psychiatric Unit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Health and Hospital Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the staff was dedicated when I worked there a few years ago. The system of the doctors taking care of their orders and it going to the pharmacy who further took care of any problems, then the nurses checking the orders off on the Pixus was a plus. The Pixus was efficient and medications were in the PIxus. Pay was better than many other places around town. I was there when Dr. Grabow was in charge of the hospital, and she made us feel proud.

Cons

Middle management was not progressive, was punitive, clicky, had their favorites, and did not spend time teaching new staff. They did not promote new staff succeeding unless you were in their click. Some people were written up for minor things that others got away with. Some rules seemed very harsh/strict. I felt someone could get in trouble by hearsay, and when one would defend oneself it did not help. This happened to me.

Smile some. Loosen up and help people who are in learning curves to decrease anxiety rather than increase it, and weed people out. I saw a former RN who transferred to another unit at DH and H who told me after the four years I have been gone hardly any of the regular staff is left. Revamp management classes where they are staff friendly and lift up staff to succeed, and evaluate which middle management are meeting this criteria. Be a role model in this attitude