Denver Mattress

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

4.4

Dan Visser

Denver Mattress provides an incredible opportunity for personal and professional growth and a great working atmosphere.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakewood, CO

Pros

Opportunity to promote incredibly quickly and really learn how to run a business.

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long.

I believe that the management really has the best interests of the employees in mind if the employees and a truly open door policy was refreshing. At some point in the near future, Denver Mattress will HAVE to update the systems they use and it will greatly aid in the training of new hires and reduce other issues.

Real Review

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, OR

Pros

First off, notice how most of the recent reviews for this company are so high that they are borderline ridiculous? This is because Denver Mattress "asked" (more like coerced) employees to put up a nice review so that potential candidates would see how "wonderful" it is to work for Denver Mattress. I worked for this company for 6 years and in that time span I had to put up with way too much unprofessional behavior. I started as a Sales Rep and left as a Store Manager. Pros are that you can earn a good living and learn a couple of things about management

Cons

Listed in no particular order: You will work long hours (not too many hours 45+, but long days) as in going in at 9 AM and leaving at 8 PM. Sunrise to sun down. The turn based selling can cause some drama (you stole my customer...etc). This usually creates tension in most stores. You will unload semis...yes even the 200 Lbs adjustable beds. Floppy king size mattresses that will test your desire to work for the company every time you pick one up. Customer focus is so high that if you accidentally have a run in with a customer (which will happen eventually...because if it's one thing we humans are good at is conflict), that can black ball your career for a long time. Some weeks you will sell so little that the kid flipping burgers at your local burger joint will make more money than you (humiliating). You will have to do everything required of you to keep the store looking good, such as cleaning, moving displays, more cleaning, be the in-house decorator, among everything else you can come up with, (whether you're the store manage or the peon warehouse guy....work has to get done!). At one point you will have a narcissistic boss who will make your life miserable, and this is because they don't like educated people (why because they have alternate employment options?). So some of their District Managers may or may not have finished high school. I believe those are the most important cons for Denver Mattress, aside from the fact that they tried to high jack this site with their phony reviews just to try to look better.

The true reviews are on pages 3-4. Anything new is BS. At best, this company is a 3 star which is why I'm giving it that rating. To all the reviewers (who happen to be managers with the company, of course) that high jacked this page to make themselves look good in order to increase their status within the company...I feel sorry for you. Glassdoor is a website designed for people to truly be able to gauge a company's operations and see if it's a decent place to work. Just because you decided that DMC is going to be your graveyard, it doesn't mean that you get to misinform other people about it. Look in the mirror and stop acting like junkyard dogs trying to get in good with your master, for he only has one bone and it isn't for you.

Good Pay crappy hours.

Current Employee - Sales Manager Trainee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager Trainee in Denver, CO

Pros

It's a retail job so walk into it expecting to work weekends. Also pay is 6% for each mattress sold. When tempur runs usually 3 to 5 thousand. it can be lucrative.

Cons

Some days are really slow and you don't get paid for being their cept 7i pay which is basically nothing. Management tends to get kinda political and while people tend to work together their is competition for sales and managers don't like losing. Have to move to promote hands down.

Stop speaking out of both sides of your month regarding the sales approach. be customer service focused or sales focused but don't try both. also don't promote so quickly. some of the younger managers don't have a clue.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Angelo, TX

Pros

This is a company that really looks out for your well being. Starts with the hiring process, looking for high quality people with character, who are honest and have integrity, who will then hire others with the same traits. Weekly pay is also a plus! I couldn't imagine getting paid every other week again. Advancement opportunities! You promote as quickly as your performance allows. Genuinely sincere coworkers and managers across the company including upper management, who want you to succeed! Get to meet people from all walks of life in our everyday interactions. Paid vacations and trainings away from the store!

Cons

Sometimes we have to deal with longer hours but then again, this is retail and the nature of the business so it should be expected. Longer hours does mean an opportunity to make more money!

14 Years managing a Denver Mattress Store, and love coming to work every day!!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

I have been managing a Denver Mattress store for the last 14 years. Like my dad, who worked for one company for over 30 years, I enjoy coming to work every day. Always a challenge. Biggest challenge is finding quality people who actually want to work. I have done retail sales and direct sales of the past 25 years. It is a privilege to be able to work for a company that provides professional sales people all of the tools, training, benefits, advertising, and best products to sell. Our compensation is second to none in this industry. With these kind of benefits, there are of course expectations. To work here you must be willing to work hard. During the interview process, I have always placed the cards face up on the table so to speak. This is a retail store, so retail hours are long, and include weekends and holidays. This is a mattress store, lifting is a requirement. Just consider it excellent work outs. Anybody who has written a negative review probably wasn’t a willing team member to promote success. By the way, we are extremely successful. Anyone willing to work hard, has a can do attitude, is welcome to try out for my team.

Cons

Only negative, is the retail hours sometimes. However, like everybody else in retail, I came into it knowing the hours. Just have to make adjustments with your time off during the week. Usually two and half days off in a row.

Never compromise on hiring quality people. Thanks for your dedication to DMC's success!

Amazing opportunity for growth!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Killeen, TX

Pros

The people and their values are top rate. Everyone from top to bottom is here to see you succeed and help you in any way possible. Not only is the company here to develop your financial success, but your personal growth as well.

Cons

The company doesn't want you to settle for mediocrity.

Keep hiring the outstanding type of people you do, and always expect them to become the even better person you see in them. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity I have been given and the true care for the employees on the most personal level giving this company the family feel that it is and was founded on.

Excellent company

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

I have worked here for 6 years, started in the warehouse and with hardwork and a can do attitude i have made my way up the chain yo assistant manager. I have been very blessed to have a companu that has helped me acheive things for me and mu family that i would have never thought possible. The interview process is long so we can weed out those that arent fully committed to wanting to help build the business. Thats why we have so many high quality employees today. Great pay and you get paid weekly. The management from our top CEO to our store managers truely care about their employees and do what ever they can to help you be successful. It is your choice to use tried and true sales methods and be successful

Cons

hours are long but that is to be expected with a retail sales environment. Perhaps we could all get off at 8 p.m. instead of 9 p.m. though :).

the company started in someones garage and grew into a multimillion dollar business with stores all across the country so i say keep doing what you are doing and hire people with dedication and the desire to better themselves and be successful.

Great personal growth and earning potential !

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Harker Heights, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Harker Heights, TX

Pros

No experience is needed , we will train you. Our company is growing and we need great people to help us grow. Your training is paid, and when your ready you will make a great living. We offer a fun and challenging place to grow and our company only promotes from within our company. I went into this company looking for a warehouse job and I found a career that I have been very happy at for the last 10 years.

Cons

We work in a retail business , so we work when most our people are off. Hours can be a challenge for some. You will get what you put into this job.

Our upper management has built a strong culture with what's best for the company people alway in mind

Now Hiring!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waco, TX

Pros

Pay... The average SSR (Sale and Service Representative) makes 35-40K per year and the average manager makes over 70K per year. I can attest to this as I have not yet promoted to store manager and have consistently made over 55K per year.

Right now I am looking to hire a Manager in Training for our store and I took to the internet and found this site from a search engine... at first I was a little taken aback that the rating on Denver Mattress was a 3.1 overall but as I dug into the numbers a little deeper I found that 65% of the reviews were OK, Satisfied or Very Satisfied with Very Satisfied as one of the highest picks.

As I looked into the lowest ratings it seemed very much a mixed bag... A warehouse guy stated for the pros: "...so the pay is exceptional especially for someone who works low on the totem pole in this place. the management is open and full of integrity like they promise in the interview and i appreciate them a lot..." and for the cons: he states " be prepared to do... things that will be insanley easy to do." not very often do people complain about easy tasks? He also stated that: "once you get hired here plan to work as the warehouse guy for the long term, rarely if anyone who works in the warehouse gets promoted so if you think your gonna get promoted think again." This is just not true as I personally know three warehouse guys that promoted to sales and one that promoted all the way to district manger.

A lot of the other 1 and 2 star reviews seem like "sour grapes" as folks that did not grow as an individual and/or meet their potential. Denver Mattress promotes the "growth mind set" over the "fixed mind set" yet so many people are stuck thinking they are owed something, Denver Mattress really believes in performance over talent. It's about the work you put in that will equal results.

The #1 complaint seems to be the hours one works yet on an average week I have 2-1/2 days off every week and everyone takes early outs on the weekends (leaving early), Yes you do work on the weekends but that's where you make 60% of sales and your told that weekends are very important before you hire on with the company.

Benefits...

Recruiting Bonuses - up to $1500 per employee you bring on
    Paid Vacations - 1 week after 1 year, 2 weeks after 2 years, 3 weeks after 3 years,,, etc.
    Weekly Bonuses - extra pay for doing your job well
    Monthly Bonuses
    Weekly Pay
    Health Insurance - 100% coverage after the deductible is met.
    401K with company match
    Contests with Bonuses

Those are some of the tangible benefits but there are also a lot of intangible things like:
    Working with people that have:
    Integrity
    Honesty
    Character
    A drive to succeed
    Team Player
    And most of all,
    A company that empowers all employees to take care of its customers, from replacing a mattress under warranty to refunding a late delivery, the customer is always placed as #1.

Cons

Not having enough employees to help all the customers, each customer deserves 100% attention and when you have 2-3 customers in the store at once you really need 2-3 employees to help them.

Upper Management has already addressed work-life balance by reducing weekly hours by 6 hours and allowing mangers weekends off at fully staffed stores.

We do need more locations around the country.

I love my job. I love this company.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Daytona Beach, FL

Pros

Hire to Promote. Promote Within. Weekly Pay. Stable Income. Family Owned. Value employees. Genuinely Care about Customers. Fun Work Environment.

Cons

Retail hours including weekends/holidays. Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas days you're off, but can't schedule vacation on a holiday week.

Thank you for the best 4 years of my life. Here's to 40 more.

Worked for Denver Mattress? Contribute to the Community!