Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Profile Unclaimed

Denver Museum of Nature & Science Reviews

3.7

George Sparks

When I started 9 years ago, it felt like family...

Former Employee - Education in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Education in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Museum of Nature & Science full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with great benifits. Made many great connections. Learned more in a few years @ DMNS then I did in 4-5 years of college.

Cons

After a few employees 'left', the family feeling began to feel broken.

Communicate with employees. Share your vision with your team. Stop the hostile takeover approach to achieving goals/vision.

A great Denver nonprofit to work (and volunteer) at

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Museum of Nature & Science full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for FTEs
    Fun work environment and great coworkers
    Opportunities for professional development
    CEO knows everyone by name

Cons

Internal communications need improvement
    Org charts are constantly changing
    Somewhat limited opportunities for advancement
    Low pay (but still better than a lot of Denver nonprofits)

Formal processes for intra- and inter-departmental communications need to be established. Relying on trickle down from SLT to Directors to Managers and so on often results in operations and front line staff not always having the most complete or up-to-date information they need to do their jobs.

Continual organizational change comes off as arbitrary rather than dynamic and lowers team morale. Smaller and/or less frequent changes with clearly-communicated strategic purpose might achieve the same results with higher employee satisfaction and retention.

The treatment of the Food Service department was appalling compared to other departments.

Former Employee - Banquet Chef in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Banquet Chef in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Museum of Nature & Science full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are working in a department other than food service, you get treated really well. You get access to the whole museum, IMAX, and planetarium whenever you want for you and your family/friends. As an employee of DMNS you also get access to the DAM, Aquarium, Botanical Gardens.
    They always had staff parties, and employee involvement. The atmosphere was really great. Overall if I was not working for the food service department I would have loved it.

Cons

DMNS treated the food service employees like second rate employees. There was a clear bias and discrimination for food service employees. There was constant problems among higher management that were constantly handed down to the employees. Horrible communication and consideration. When I first started working there the food service department was treated very well. We were really treated fairly and like all the other employees, then the management became really dysfunctional and started taking it out on the employees. By the time I left 5 years later, it felt like a concentration camp. When I went to the HR department they were not supportive and non responsive. It felt like they were judgmental and discriminatory against the food service workers because most of us were immigrants or lower class. Which was very against DMNS principles, and why it was so hard to take that kind of mistreatment.

very rewarding

Current Employee - Mail Room Assistant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Mail Room Assistant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Museum of Nature & Science full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you see all the collections

Cons

pay other than that not too much...

ok

DMNS

Former Employee - Membership Sales Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Membership Sales Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Museum of Nature & Science

Pros

Fellow employees, supervisors, hours, respect given, communication between employees and supervisors, support from supervisors, the benefits if you were full time

Cons

I worked customer service which can always be stressful, but there was no negative experience with working for the actual museum

Management always backed up their employees and gave good feedback. They were always available. :)