Denver Public Schools Reviews

Reset
3.1
Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Pros
  • Comprehensive plan for education and professional development opps (in 6 reviews)

• caring faculty who really want to make a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Additionally, the work/life balance is not good for many position (in 3 reviews)

• Administrator are often inexperienced and lack abilities to those train staff members seeking advance professional development (in 4 reviews)

1. Review of 17 Year Working Relationship

Former Employee - Workers' Compensation Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Workers' Compensation Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Denver Public Schools has offered great opportunities for advancement for their employees during my time here. My time here has shaped me considerably as a business professional overall. Former management was excellent at mentoring their employees and allowing them learn and grow from their successes and mistakes, and would always strive to create a better work environment for everyone involved. All in all, I do not regret my career with Denver Public Schools.

Cons

It seems the organization has taken a turn towards caring more about the organization itself than their overall mission of providing excellent public education to the children of Denver. Efficiency in the office place has taken precedence over the well-being of their employees and the communities the organization serves.

Advice to Management

It would benefit the current management to take the time to mentor their current employees in the direction they are trying to go with their careers. It seems as though there is very little regard or appreciation for years of hard work, dedication, and intentional forward motion. I am, and always have tried to be a team player; willing to learn what I need to in order to best serve Denver Public Schools as a whole, and my department in particular. There was no opportunity afforded for that once new management was brought in.

2. Sub teacher

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Denver, CO
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

work when you want and where you want.

Cons

pay is poor, and they expect to much from a sub.

3. Progressive District

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time

Pros

DPS is very progressive in their use of data and current educational practices.

Cons

The sheer size of the district results in a have to deal with enormous bureaucracy

5. teacher

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Aurora, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time

Pros

salary professional development tutoring pay

Cons

pay for performance and work stress

Advice to Management

none

6. Pays much less than surrounding districts

Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time

Pros

I love teaching, my principal, and the children.

Cons

Aurora teachers with the same years of experience and education make 10,000 more than DPS pays. Adams 14 pays 13,000 more and pays most of the teacher's health premiums. The salary of entry level teachers in DPS is almost as much as I make as a 10 year veteran. In addition, DPS requires much more from their teachers when it comes to work above and beyond teaching students. Example: LEAP (Leading Effective Academic Practice) involves hours of computer and meeting time. DPS has too many administrators and not enough resources going into the classrooms.

Advice to Management

You are burning out your teachers by adding more and more work that does not result in increased student learning. If you don't pay your experienced, effective teachers a competitive wage, you will continue to have teacher shortages.

7. Secretary

Current Employee - Secretary in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Secretary in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well organized company to work for including all staff members as well as students. Nice work environment as well.

Cons

There are no cons due to the fact that its a great career opportunity

8. Not easy for Lazy people

Former Employee - Food Service Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

It fits great being a mom.

Cons

Its kind ok to work there

Advice to Management

More support & better pay for Managers

Math Fellows Program - Blueprint Fellowship

Former Contractor - Math Fellow in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Math Fellow in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Favorite school district I've worked in. Some coworkers are quite passionate. This is a very emotionally rewarding job. Probably a good job for a retiree, or someone wanting to see what it is like to teach.

Cons

I was hire, and interviewed for a job, but throughout training for two consecutive years, management kept saying "this isn't a job, you do this because you love kids!" I did this because I wanted to become a teacher, because I love kids and teaching, but most importantly I did it so I could feed myself and pay rent. One year I had a very good boss, another year I had a very bad boss. In many cases, the wrong people are in power. Bosses will quote 'data driven instruction' and various statistics, all the while being wholly unqualified to offer the (inaccurate, or even dishonest) analyses they may use to try to demean you or motivate you. Public shaming was frequent when I was in my first school. The fellows who were brought on when I was were promised greater benefits, in writing, than we received. This was a big part of why I accepted and moved for the job. We were gathered by some of the upper management and told this was a mistake by a former employee, and we would be receiving less benefits. Complaints to those within Blueprint and DPS were not met with due consideration. Complaints to the Department of Labor in CO and the USA were met with 'We can't talk to you about DPS' and 'there is nothing you can do, buy a lawyer maybe?' respectively. If you have legal concerns and are not willing to spend multiples of your yearly salary on a lawyer, you have no matter of recourse. One year our coordinator broke confidentiality laws regarding multiple former coworkers who left work for very sensitive reasons, or were pursuing accommodations they deserved. Coordinator even acknowledged knowledge of the confidentiality laws shortly before breaking them. In another discipline these actions would guarantee expulsion from the profession, with legal proceedings likely. In DPS and BluePrint, this coordinator was kept on as a coordinator and is still working as a coordinator. Despite being contracted for less than 40 hours per week, you will be required to work more than 40 hours a week. To keep up with lesson planning and staying fresh you will have to take the work home with you. This isn't so much a unique strike against DPS, but a reminder to those who might wish to become teachers, this is the norm. Teaching is a 5am-9pm job, not a 9am-5pm job. Despite promises from upper management given in interview, materials, and training, I received absolutely 0 support in my quest to become a teacher. With a heavy heart, I cannot recommend this job to anyone who isn't prepared to give their life to it for one year. The kids appreciate someone who sticks around more than anything else. I also cannot recommend this job to anyone but those very serious about becoming teachers (and very seriously hard up on their attempts to enter the field), or retirees with experience with kids. And infinite patience. For your kids, coworkers, and advisers.

Advice to Management

Hire competent coordinators. Reward competent coordinators. Fire incompetent coordinators and above. Take breach of confidentiality seriously. Value your fellows more. Stop lying to them. Live up to your expectations.

10. Teacher of World Languages

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Denver, CO

Pros

Teaching, imparting joy of languages.

Cons

Administrative politics. I experienced rude behavior by one administrator, and the director of the school who said she would "keep me in the loop" did not do that.

Advice to Management

Be an asset to teachers and students.

11. DPS

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Denver, CO

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Big time politics every where

RSS Feed </> Embed