Denver Public Schools

Updated October 7, 2014
3.1

Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Pros
  • Comprehensive plan for education and professional development opps (in 6 reviews)

• caring faculty who really want to make a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Administrator are often inexperienced and lack abilities to those train staff members seeking advance professional development (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, disorganized, last minute changes stirring up the organization, and poor discipline structure were the most frustrating (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Typical State of Education

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, opportunities to move up in leadership roles, friendly employees, clear vision

Cons

Some schools understaffed for the needs in building, some schools have serious behavior/discipline issues leading to an unsafe environment, inequitable instructional curriculums/materials (huge difference between charters and reg. ed). No work/life balance for teachers (all work, no life)

Not worth the headache...

Current Employee - School Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - School Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Several opportunities for professional growth through district-wide trainings, staff professional development, credited continue learning courses, college tuition reimbursement.

Cons

The pay for teachers is very low and only increases with years of serve not education/or training. Administrator are often inexperienced and lack abilities to those train staff members seeking advance professional development.

Thank you very much for having me! wish I could come back!

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I never should have left!!! it's like family!

Cons

Seasonal work, they don't pay for holidays or summer break

Support Bus Drivers More.

Teacher

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Students first culture; Progressive; accountable; Focus on disadvantaged student populations; Dedicated teachers

Cons

Bureaucracy; Educator development is not well planned; Nepotism;

Implement an accountability framework for school and district administrators that have the same "teeth" as the system you have adopted for teachers. Too many administrators do not appear to have a successful instructional background (or do not communicate/project such knowledge) and therefore lack the credibility to effectively manage those who are successful educators.

It is difficult to quantify what many folks at the district office contribute to the education of our students. Perhaps if they were distributed at school sites across the district, those of us who are directly responsible for the students would be able to better appreciate their efforts (this especially includes academic technology, assessment, and curriculum personnel).

Data security is dangerously ignored and generally treated as an insignificant burden -> student data is a "ticking time bomb".

New programs are often implemented in a disjoint ("winging it") manner - this appears to be related to the lack of accountability/structure in the grants management process, i.e. spending grant money without taking time to fully vet pilot programs and new initiatives.

Poorly Run School System

Current Employee - Elementary Ela-s Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary Ela-s Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The children and their appreciation of what a teacher does for them.

Cons

Poor work conditions. Top heavy mgmt. Too many administrators DT telling teachers what to do...they have never taught and most never in a school.

Supt. NO educational credentials. Not even licensed to teach....Board of Ed. same way
    they know little of how teaching really is....DPS is a mess...be warned!!!

Stop hiring people with no classroom experience telling faculties how to teach....they throw out theory.Come teach just one day and see if you can do it on your own. If you cannot teach you should not be in DPS administration!!!

Working as a primary teacher was very rewarding.

Former Employee - Elementary Ela-E Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Elementary Ela-E Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good professional training, to keep abreast.,, planning doesn't aways accomodate work load,

Cons

Seem willing to address accomodating diversity only when it comes to second language learners.

More willing to accept difference of opinion.

Denver Public Schools provided a positive work environment among passionate individuals

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

DPS has fantastic benefits, and employes passionate teachers that serve a less-affluent population that is in most need of committed teachers

Cons

Getting through the paper-work can be a little arduous with a somewhat disorganized headquarters office.

Choose your school wisely

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was thoughtful about which schools I applied to (after the initial HR screening) and I found a fantastic school with a supportive administrative team, top notch colleagues and fantastic students. I left my position after one ear because I moved out-of-state for personal reasons. If you do your research on various schools, then you should find a match.

Cons

District level bureaucracy is pretty typical. I've been a teacher for over 12 year sin five different districts. By no means is DPS the worst, but there are plenty of people in the central office who just create more work for others to justify their job. Be prepared to have previous ELL/ELA experience questioned, and oftentimes thrown out, by these district level managers.

District level managers should have more faith in their site-based administrators. Principals and APs know their teachers and know what their teachers need to be successful. Rather than applying a one-size-fits-all approach to teacher inservice, perhaps model best practices and differentiate the process.

DPS provided me with amazing opportunities

Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Diversity of job opportunities and ways to use your skills and knowledge and acquire new skills and experience.

Cons

Because it is such a large district, communication is often not effective and not everyone is in sync.

A great community to be apart of

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, staff and anyone who is employed at D.P.S. are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

When you have to go back and rethink, but that happens daily.

Thanks