Denver Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg

Tom Boasberg

Pros
  • Professional Development Opportunities, team building, working with youth(in 5 reviews)

• caring faculty who really want to make a difference(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration continually adds more activities, projects,and professional development with no extra pay or encouragement(in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, long hours, disorganized, last minute changes stirring up the organization, and poor discipline structure were the most frustrating(in 3 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Choose your school wisely

Teacher (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI was thoughtful about which schools I applied to (after the initial HR screening) and I found a fantastic school with a supportive administrative team, top notch colleagues and fantastic students. I left my position after one ear because I moved out-of-state for personal reasons. If you do your research on various schools, then you should find a match.

ConsDistrict level bureaucracy is pretty typical. I've been a teacher for over 12 year sin five different districts. By no means is DPS the worst, but there are plenty of people in the central office who just create more work for others to justify their job. Be prepared to have previous ELL/ELA experience questioned, and oftentimes thrown out, by these district level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict level managers should have more faith in their site-based administrators. Principals and APs know their teachers and know what their teachers need to be successful. Rather than applying a one-size-fits-all approach to teacher inservice, perhaps model best practices and differentiate the process.

DPS provided me with amazing opportunities

Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDiversity of job opportunities and ways to use your skills and knowledge and acquire new skills and experience.

ConsBecause it is such a large district, communication is often not effective and not everyone is in sync.

A great community to be apart of

Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCo-workers, staff and anyone who is employed at D.P.S. are very friendly and helpful.

ConsWhen you have to go back and rethink, but that happens daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Math Fellow

Denver Math Fellow (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPositive Change being made. Strong relationships with co-workers.

ConsDifficult to maintain high performance on daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementPossible training programs or access to more compensation.

Classroom Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGet to help students, personal growth, learning opportunities, you can be the master of your classroom

ConsLong hours, students usually come in with low reading levels

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep students and teachers in mind as your first priority.

newer employee

FIT-FUN Leader (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis company is really good at allowing their employees to learn new things without making them feel dumb for not having already known it.

ConsYou do have to be on your toes about your job. Motivation comes, but slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the newly hired and strengthen them as to what you want, they are your future.

I worked as an educational assistant at Denver West High School.

Educational Assistant (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis job provided me a fair salary, good Professional Development opportunities, good networking opportunities, and a lot of autonomy in my role.

ConsI would have liked to be more up to date on changes coming to DPS. Sometimes all coming changes were front-leaded at the beginning of the year, then not adequately discussed before implementation.

Good experience so far

Administrator (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPay, working conditions, and employees

ConsPolitics and over the top policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your workforce.

The most unethical, malicious entity on the planet and they work with our children.

Teacher (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPay isn't too bad. Benefits plan is pretty comprehensive and reasonable. The organization's shared values are spot on. Most of the staff at the school level are just top-notch.

ConsThey never fix anything. They are like a snake eating it's tail. You can't ever talk to who you need to talk to, but yet decisions are made. They are not forthright with their pay checks. They dont line-item everything out so it is clear. They don't always tell you everything up front. They will screw you over if you are not careful. They can really ruin your professional life. Just read the papers. This organization has horrific red-tape and an even more horrific means of communication. Do a search for class-action lawsuits against the district and educate yourselves. I completely do not recommend and I certainly would not put my precious child in any DPS school.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out. We are all people trying to do the best we can with the considerable lack of resources. Fix things and stop hiring people that swindle you into thinking that they are fixing things. You all work for the taxpayer. Lastly, make sure that everyone is on the same page. Companies with larger workforces do a better job of management when they are spread across the globe. DPS just deals with Denver, Colorado.

My experience w/DPS is wonderful . . . I just love working w/children in education.

Paraprofessional (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe ability to be part of a young child's educational experience(s).

ConsNot a full day . . . Part-time is a split shift.

Worked for Denver Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!