Denver Public Schools Reviews

• Denver, CO Area
3.4
Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

1. One of the best supported districts I've been in.

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Support for multiple admin, pay scale (pro comp), opportunities for increased pay

Cons

Long hours, but it's teaching.

Advice to Management

None

2. DPS

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, pay, growth opportunities, benefits, dual language programs, and there are some Montessori schools within the district

Cons

The kids have to take formal testing starting in First grade. For third grade and up, there are a few formal assessments a year, which is too much stress on the young students. For Kindergarten, there are several assessments a year. Kindergarteners are supposed to read on a level 4 by the end of the year. It's possible for most, but it is not developmentally appropriate. Too much academic stress in the environment that takes the joy out of the learning experience and oppresses the natural learner.

Advice to Management

Avoid making education into a business and competition. Create education that is focused on the joy of learning and supporting independent thinkers and then students will thrive. Make more Montessori schools.

3. Had great coworkers, management needs to improve communication

Former Employee - Positive Behavioral Interventions Support Coach in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Positive Behavioral Interventions Support Coach in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always seems to be lots of change and new opportunities - Will likely have many opportunities to wear several different hats and get varied experience within the district.
    The district is VERY diverse and allows one to have potential experiences working with students from very different backgrounds - Great experience in this way!

Cons

Always seems to be lots of change taking place - Lots of new initiatives taking place can mean frustration for employees. It seems that lots of people were frustrated with the district requiring new initiatives too frequently, and current initiatives aren't given enough time to determine their use before new requirements come down from the top.
    Seems a very disconnected place to be at times - The higher ups aren't the best with communicating information to funnel down to staff whom the information affects. I guess some of this is necessary since the district is so large, and I'm not saying that I have any solutions. Still, I felt disconnected and left uninformed of the 'big picture' - as did others with whom I worked - a lot of times. Because of this, I felt that a lot of the work on the 'front lines' was being somewhat washed out by decisions coming down from the top.

Advice to Management

Need to better communicate with all offices. DPS includes a lot of moving parts - Communication is essential to best keep everyone moving in the same direction toward the same goal!

5. Great place to work. People are nice and seem to collaborate well. Most are looking at improving student outcomes.

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was and is still considered a low performing district, but people there are honest and willing to improve.

Cons

There are no clear career track for people who come in and want to grow by doing their best. They will have to navigate the system themselves.

Advice to Management

There are leaders (not the very top levels) who don't really care about their employees' as people. Some just used their employees' works to promote themselves. Once promoted, they tend to forget how they get to where they are.

6. Denver Green School is an awesome place to work

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Glendale, CO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Glendale, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is extremely friendly, parental involvement is very high, students are awesome

Cons

Pay could be a bit better (but it's education after all), more opportunities to work remotely on Friday for salaried staff

Advice to Management

More opportunities for salaried staff to either work remotely on Friday or work for extra time during the week in order to be able to leave early on a Friday with the rest of the students. I think this would go quite a ways to boosting morale and helping staff to become more efficient and productive during the rest of the week

7. DPS HRIS

Current Employee - HRIS in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - HRIS in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools

Pros

It feels good to work for a vision of Every Child Succeeding within their Educational Careers.

Cons

More work than there are people, work hours, or oversight.
    Technical people aren't equally paid outside of the Dept. Of Technology Setvices

Advice to Management

Create efficiencies across the business organizations. Streamline efforts.

8. Great people but little opportunity for administrative support

Current Employee - EXECUTIVE SECRETARY III in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - EXECUTIVE SECRETARY III in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working full-time in Denver Public schools in an administrative assistant position for almost four years. I work with some of the most hard-working, devoted teachers and staff who truly care about their students. DPS is on a good path trying to bring the importance of an arts education back into the schools which was once on a rapid decline. Training is basic, more a learn as you go process.

Cons

Unfortunately, like many of the school districts in Colorado today, the teachers and leaders are so inundated with mandatory standardized testing, surveys and the like that it leaves little time for the true colors to shine through. Whether it be CSAP, TCAP, CMAS or PARC testing, it seems a good chunk of the teaching time is still spent on teaching for the tests. Administrative support positions are not well paid in comparison to similar jobs in other companies. Difficult to advance within this particular area. The hours are long and the pay is little.

review

Current Employee - Teacher Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

children are wonderful and it is a joy to feel as though you are making a difference in their lives

Cons

teaching is run by consultants and businesses and the district is relying less and less on teachers' experience and knowledge and more on outside opinion

10. You are serving the community but it will bleed you dry

Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher Ela-s in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher Ela-s in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools

Pros

Live in a great urban setting, help disadvantaged children

Cons

Constantly more and more is placed on your plate, very little support to accomplish your job, borderline crooked/unethical practices around hiring teachers from within the district.

HIghly political constantly changing leadership

Former Employee - Project Professional in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Professional in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Denver Public Schools offers competitive salaries in line with national averages. The people who work there are mostly wonderful people to be surrounded by from day to day. My actual phsical work environment was nice with quite spaces and all the technology one simply has to ask for.

Cons

The middle managment leadership from one support department to another is inconsistent. If you have a problem with your supervisor there is no where to turn. HR department is there only to protect the interests of the Administration. Could not even provide quidance on how to handle my issues. Professional training or personal development is at the whim of your management. In my department the only ones offered career development training were selected managers.
    Constant budget cuts contributes to an extremely insecure atmosphere which breeds bully management.
    I would advise anyone considering a job with DPS to really interview your boss at the interview and then hope the good boss stays and is not replaced by a demon.

Advice to Management

Treat all personnel the same and offer career development opportunites to equally to everyone.
    Show respect and consideration especailly to those who consistently performed above expectations
    Kind words go a long way towards showing support to your staff
    Dont play political games with your school or department staff.