Denver Public Schools

Updated December 11, 2014
3.1

Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Pros
  • Comprehensive plan for education and professional development opps (in 6 reviews)

• caring faculty who really want to make a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Additionally, the work/life balance is not good for many position (in 3 reviews)

• Administrator are often inexperienced and lack abilities to those train staff members seeking advance professional development (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people but little opportunity for administrative support

Current Employee - EXECUTIVE SECRETARY III in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - EXECUTIVE SECRETARY III in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working full-time in Denver Public schools in an administrative assistant position for almost four years. I work with some of the most hard-working, devoted teachers and staff who truly care about their students. DPS is on a good path trying to bring the importance of an arts education back into the schools which was once on a rapid decline. Training is basic, more a learn as you go process.

Cons

Unfortunately, like many of the school districts in Colorado today, the teachers and leaders are so inundated with mandatory standardized testing, surveys and the like that it leaves little time for the true colors to shine through. Whether it be CSAP, TCAP, CMAS or PARC testing, it seems a good chunk of the teaching time is still spent on teaching for the tests. Administrative support positions are not well paid in comparison to similar jobs in other companies. Difficult to advance within this particular area. The hours are long and the pay is little.

DPS HRIS

Current Employee - HRIS in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - HRIS in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools

Pros

It feels good to work for a vision of Every Child Succeeding within their Educational Careers.

Cons

More work than there are people, work hours, or oversight.
    Technical people aren't equally paid outside of the Dept. Of Technology Setvices

Create efficiencies across the business organizations. Streamline efforts.

review

Current Employee - Teacher Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

children are wonderful and it is a joy to feel as though you are making a difference in their lives

Cons

teaching is run by consultants and businesses and the district is relying less and less on teachers' experience and knowledge and more on outside opinion

HIghly political constantly changing leadership

Former Employee - Project Professional in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Professional in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Denver Public Schools offers competitive salaries in line with national averages. The people who work there are mostly wonderful people to be surrounded by from day to day. My actual phsical work environment was nice with quite spaces and all the technology one simply has to ask for.

Cons

The middle managment leadership from one support department to another is inconsistent. If you have a problem with your supervisor there is no where to turn. HR department is there only to protect the interests of the Administration. Could not even provide quidance on how to handle my issues. Professional training or personal development is at the whim of your management. In my department the only ones offered career development training were selected managers.
    Constant budget cuts contributes to an extremely insecure atmosphere which breeds bully management.
    I would advise anyone considering a job with DPS to really interview your boss at the interview and then hope the good boss stays and is not replaced by a demon.

Treat all personnel the same and offer career development opportunites to equally to everyone.
    Show respect and consideration especailly to those who consistently performed above expectations
    Kind words go a long way towards showing support to your staff
    Dont play political games with your school or department staff.

You are serving the community but it will bleed you dry

Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher Ela-s in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary School Teacher Ela-s in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools

Pros

Live in a great urban setting, help disadvantaged children

Cons

Constantly more and more is placed on your plate, very little support to accomplish your job, borderline crooked/unethical practices around hiring teachers from within the district.

Typical State of Education

Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, opportunities to move up in leadership roles, friendly employees, clear vision

Cons

Some schools understaffed for the needs in building, some schools have serious behavior/discipline issues leading to an unsafe environment, inequitable instructional curriculums/materials (huge difference between charters and reg. ed). No work/life balance for teachers (all work, no life)

Shady, shady, shady

Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people there actually care about kids and another human being. That's about it.

Cons

Too many mid-upper level managers that are so vain they cant see past their own noses. They tell you one thing on the front and then change it on the back, making the employee look like an idiot.

Figure it out. In large organizations this is where the apple falls. Be brave and stand behind your employees. You are the ones who did the hire. Also, step outside of your comfy offices one in a while so the world knows who you are. Lastly, put contact information on the website for every employee and department. It is ridiculous to call the poor administrative assistant for the Superintendent to get a number. Hell, even communications doesn't pick up a phone.

Thank you very much for having me! wish I could come back!

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I never should have left!!! it's like family!

Cons

Seasonal work, they don't pay for holidays or summer break

Support Bus Drivers More.

Not worth the headache...

Current Employee - School Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - School Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Several opportunities for professional growth through district-wide trainings, staff professional development, credited continue learning courses, college tuition reimbursement.

Cons

The pay for teachers is very low and only increases with years of serve not education/or training. Administrator are often inexperienced and lack abilities to those train staff members seeking advance professional development.

Data entry in peace

Current Employee - Denver County Schools in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Denver County Schools in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Get to go school to school and just type all day long with a different scent every day.
    Getting to see the different schools and children
    helping our school system in completing something that takes all year to complete

Cons

I don't see any con's to this job. I really like it.

When one of your office employees leaves you need to let their placement employees know. I had this problem. But when I found out a new person stepped in and helped me 100%. But, it was a lot of work getting things right for her.