Denver Public Schools

Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg
Tom Boasberg

Pros
  • Professional Development Opportunities, team building, working with youth (in 5 reviews)

• caring faculty who really want to make a difference (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, long hours, disorganized, last minute changes stirring up the organization, and poor discipline structure were the most frustrating (in 3 reviews)

• Administration continually adds more activities, projects,and professional development with no extra pay or encouragement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Students first culture; Progressive; accountable; Focus on disadvantaged student populations; Dedicated teachers

Cons

Bureaucracy; Educator development is not well planned; Nepotism;

Implement an accountability framework for school and district administrators that have the same "teeth" as the system you have adopted for teachers. Too many administrators do not appear to have a successful instructional background (or do not communicate/project such knowledge) and therefore lack the credibility to effectively manage those who are successful educators.

It is difficult to quantify what many folks at the district office contribute to the education of our students. Perhaps if they were distributed at school sites across the district, those of us who are directly responsible for the students would be able to better appreciate their efforts (this especially includes academic technology, assessment, and curriculum personnel).

Data security is dangerously ignored and generally treated as an insignificant burden -> student data is a "ticking time bomb".

New programs are often implemented in a disjoint ("winging it") manner - this appears to be related to the lack of accountability/structure in the grants management process, i.e. spending grant money without taking time to fully vet pilot programs and new initiatives.

Working as a primary teacher was very rewarding.

Former Employee - Elementary Ela-E Teacher  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Elementary Ela-E Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good professional training, to keep abreast.,, planning doesn't aways accomodate work load,

Cons

Seem willing to address accomodating diversity only when it comes to second language learners.

More willing to accept difference of opinion.

Poorly Run School System

Current Employee - Elementary Ela-s Teacher  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary Ela-s Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

The children and their appreciation of what a teacher does for them.

Cons

Poor work conditions. Top heavy mgmt. Too many administrators DT telling teachers what to do...they have never taught and most never in a school.

Supt. NO educational credentials. Not even licensed to teach....Board of Ed. same way
    they know little of how teaching really is....DPS is a mess...be warned!!!

Stop hiring people with no classroom experience telling faculties how to teach....they throw out theory.Come teach just one day and see if you can do it on your own. If you cannot teach you should not be in DPS administration!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Denver Public Schools provided a positive work environment among passionate individuals

Current Employee - Paraprofessional  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

DPS has fantastic benefits, and employes passionate teachers that serve a less-affluent population that is in most need of committed teachers

Cons

Getting through the paper-work can be a little arduous with a somewhat disorganized headquarters office.

Choose your school wisely

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was thoughtful about which schools I applied to (after the initial HR screening) and I found a fantastic school with a supportive administrative team, top notch colleagues and fantastic students. I left my position after one ear because I moved out-of-state for personal reasons. If you do your research on various schools, then you should find a match.

Cons

District level bureaucracy is pretty typical. I've been a teacher for over 12 year sin five different districts. By no means is DPS the worst, but there are plenty of people in the central office who just create more work for others to justify their job. Be prepared to have previous ELL/ELA experience questioned, and oftentimes thrown out, by these district level managers.

District level managers should have more faith in their site-based administrators. Principals and APs know their teachers and know what their teachers need to be successful. Rather than applying a one-size-fits-all approach to teacher inservice, perhaps model best practices and differentiate the process.

DPS provided me with amazing opportunities

Former Employee - Assessment Specialist  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assessment Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Denver Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diversity of job opportunities and ways to use your skills and knowledge and acquire new skills and experience.

Cons

Because it is such a large district, communication is often not effective and not everyone is in sync.

A great community to be apart of

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers, staff and anyone who is employed at D.P.S. are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

When you have to go back and rethink, but that happens daily.

Thanks

Math Fellow

Current Employee - Denver Math Fellow  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Denver Math Fellow in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive Change being made. Strong relationships with co-workers.

Cons

Difficult to maintain high performance on daily basis.

Possible training programs or access to more compensation.

Classroom Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to help students, personal growth, learning opportunities, you can be the master of your classroom

Cons

Long hours, students usually come in with low reading levels

Keep students and teachers in mind as your first priority.

newer employee

Current Employee - FIT-FUN Leader  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - FIT-FUN Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Denver Public Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is really good at allowing their employees to learn new things without making them feel dumb for not having already known it.

Cons

You do have to be on your toes about your job. Motivation comes, but slowly.

Take the newly hired and strengthen them as to what you want, they are your future.

Worked for Denver Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!