Denver Water

www.denverwater.org

Denver Water Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Denver Water – Denver – “Denver Water”

Mentality needs to change

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat benefits, various retirement plans and a pension. People are nice and most really care about the core of what we do.

ConsYou are treated like a job title. People are surprised when you know more than what your job title says and they reward you with more work under the same job title. Tons of meetings with very little accomplishment. There is a struggle between those who have been here for a very long time and have pay higher than they would get anywhere else, versus the younger generations just trying to get a career going and waiting for movement and opportunity to happen. No one is held accountable for their work or lack thereof. People who really should be let go are allowed to sit and retire. The retiree pool is getting bigger than the current employee pool but there are some that never should have been able to retire. You will spend 10+ years in a job before you get a chance to move up and if you don't have a college degree forget it. Some departments bully you for taking any time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive team is too busy trying to look important than actually inspire their teams. If Denver Water is not city or state government, they should stop acting like it and focus on the goal - providing safe drinking water. Trust your employees to do their jobs well, get rid of the ones who cannot.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsProgressive compensation and benefits structure. Excellent professional development opportunities. Low attrition results in good knowledge continuity management.

ConsSlow cultural change based upon low attrition. Low attrition affects diversity of thought in a negative fashion (i.e., "We've always done it this way.") Most organizations naturally resist change, but organizations that resist change face a greater obstacle because slow infrastructure evolution exacerbates the problem further.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview cons.

Trying to be better

ProsHonest effort to improve things.

ConsExecutive team doesn't live the values of the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementIf integrity is a value, then that means you have to live it every day, not just when it is convenient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Secure and Steady job but leaves you desiring a bit more

Water Treatment Operator (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFair pay and average benefits. Management has recently started listening to its employees. One of the few employers that offers a pension, for now.

ConsOverbearing Affirmative Action strategy stifles any opportunity for non-minorities. Poor pay-for-performance pay system that does not fit the job. Management rarley reverses policy even when it is an abject failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbolish affirmative action and start paying prevailing wage. Reverse policies that are not conducive to the morale and motivation of all employees.

Company Hypocrites

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCan make good money if you have no morals, values, and like to backstab fellow workers.

ConsThis company covers its behavior in talking one thing and doing another. Lots of backstabbers, racists, and not one person lives by company values. What a joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be fired.

Improving, great co workers

ProsFeels good to work for a company with such an important mission
    Amazingly knowledgable friendly people
    Starting to change for the better

ConsSenior management does not walk the talk
    Engineering is not a good working environment for women who are moms
    Too many meetings
    Simple decisions take forever

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more nimble, hold one another accountable. Keep up the good progress the company is making, it will take honesty and accountability to keep moving forward. Live the values, at the top levels everyone sees when you don't. Admit mistakes...you are human just like the rest of us...we all screw up, just admit when you do and move on. Create a culture of accountability at all levels

Worked in I.T. for more than 10 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSteady job, decent pay, good technologies.

ConsNo leadership, outdated mentality. The lack of leadership is actually incredible, especially for an I.T. organization. It's basically run as though all of the I.T. employees should be button-pushers that sit at their desk for a minimum of 45 hours during the week. There is no compensation whatsoever for working evenings, weekends, holidays, etc. No comp time, no pay, no kudos, nothing. The pay-for-performance program is a joke because each department's manager has a quota of different reviews to meet, so it's not fair across the board.

Even if you meet all of your goals and objectives, even going above and beyond, you're still required to sit at your desk for 45 hours a week, even with extra evening and weekend hours. If you want to work here, it's expected that you'll sit around and chat with other employees for several hours per day instead of being productive. Efficient time usage is not promoted or desired whatsoever, just put in the hours and wait until you die or retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some leadership training and learn how to manage people instead of just managing tasks. Create clearly defined objectives for your employees.

Good pay and benefits.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPay and raises are great in this economy
    Benefits package is great, low premiums on health care, tuition reimbursement, RTD pass, 401k, 457 and pension, earned time off accrues

ConsNo accountability for poor performance, in most divisions people stay until they retire instead of being let go for poor performance. Employees feel entitled to pay raises, managers have no authority, lots of confusion as to the future direction of the company, feeling of out with the old in with the new
    Many people at all levels treat you like you are an unskilled idiot if you don't have a degree, ignore experience. They promote those with degrees but unable to perform basics of job

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress poor behavior immediately, let people go if they are not a good fit, don't stick with status quo, embrace the current desires of employees (work/life balance)

Analyst

ProsThis is an excellent place to work

ConsI don't know of any cons

The people were great, the management sucked.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCoworkers were friendly and very helpful.

ConsSenior management at the call center blows.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave written objectives that are quantifiable. Mentors are not trainers, they need something written down to go off of to. Providing us with mentors and then telling us that we were not getting it was wrong. You did not sit with us and evaluate us.... Train us on things that matter, not just the system.

Worked for Denver Water? Contribute to the Community!